Gifts of the Spirit

2 Thes. 2:3:

for that day will not come unless the rebellion comes first and the lawless oneb is revealed, the one destined for destruction.c http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/#_ftn3 b Gk the man of lawlessness; other ancient authorities read the man of sin

c Gk the son of destruction

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/#_ftnref3The Holy Bible : New Revised Standard Version. 1996, c1989 . Thomas Nelson: Nashville

I think this is what you are referring to. I do not understand this to say that the faithful will be deceived. It will be someone who wasn't real to begin with. That is the simple meaning of the text when you read it without all the fancy stuff you mentioned. How can you make it say anything else?

RubySera_Martin said:
2 Thes. 2:3:

for that day will not come unless the rebellion comes first and the lawless oneb is revealed, the one destined for destruction.c http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/#_ftn3 b Gk the man of lawlessness; other ancient authorities read the man of sin

c Gk the son of destruction

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/#_ftnref3The Holy Bible : New Revised Standard Version. 1996, c1989 . Thomas Nelson: Nashville

I think this is what you are referring to. I do not understand this to say that the faithful will be deceived. It will be someone who wasn't real to begin with. That is the simple meaning of the text when you read it without all the fancy stuff you mentioned. How can you make it say anything else?
What fancy stuff did I mention? Well, let's go back and look at what Jesus said at Matthew 24. Notice his warning to his disciples, “Take heed that no one deceives you." Also notice his reference to "lawlessness" in verse 11? This is another tie-in with 2 Thess 2, IMHO.
3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”
4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for allthese things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.
15 “Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place” (whoever reads, let him understand), 16 “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house. 18 And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. 19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened.
23 “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you beforehand.
26 “Therefore if they say to you, ‘Look, He is in the desert!’ do not go out; or ‘Look, He is in the inner rooms!’ do not believe it. 27 For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.
28 For wherever the carcass is, there the eagles will be gathered together.
Both Matt 24 and 2 Thess 2 support each other in a logically consistant way.

This passage does read, to me, that we can be deceived unless we have faith to the very end. The signs Jesus pointed to did not take special discernment; they were as easy to see as flashes of lightning across the sky. The 'false Christs' deceive by performing wonders or showing signs that make us think we can tell using our own understanding whether they are true. But I think the passage says we (any of us) won't have any trouble discerning Christ when He returns; it'll be a no-brainer.

Who are the elect? The ones with faith to the end.

2 c,
lunamoth

PS, Thank you to Seattlegal for posting the big chunk of Matt 24--it was helpful for me to reflect upon this passage tonight.

lunamoth said:
This passage does read, to me, that we can be deceived unless we have faith to the very end. The signs Jesus pointed to did not take special discernment; they were as easy to see as flashes of lightning across the sky. The 'false Christs' deceive by performing wonders or showing signs that make us think we can tell using our own understanding whether they are true. But I think the passage says we (any of us) won't have any trouble discerning Christ when He returns; it'll be a no-brainer.

Who are the elect? The ones with faith to the end.

2 c,
lunamoth

PS, Thank you to Seattlegal for posting the big chunk of Matt 24--it was helpful for me to reflect upon this passage tonight.
You're welcome, lunamoth. :)
I would like to add that if you wish to discard Jesus's warning about not being deceived by believing that it is not possible for you to be deceived, then you leave yourself open for the most insidious kind of self-deception and delusion, IMHO. I choose to keep faith in Jesus's warning, and to remain diligent in guarding against becoming so self-assured that I cannot be deceived, and trust in God to cut the time of deception and tribulation short. :)

seattlegal said:
I would like to add that if you wish to discard Jesus's warning about not being deceived by believing that it is not possible for you to be deceived, then you leave yourself open for the most insidious kind of self-deception and delusion, IMHO. I choose to keep faith in Jesus's warning, and to remain diligent in guarding against becoming so self-assured that I cannot be deceived, and trust in God to cut the time of deception and tribulation short. :)

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, so forgive me for butting in!

Yeah, I agree with what you say about self-deception. Basically we are minute insignificant living entities that are prone to four types of defects, namely illusion, cheating, imperfect senses and mistakes. No living entity can be claim to be free of these four defects. That is why messengers of God advise people to follow the instructions of God - the one perfect authority. We are always prone to illusion, but if we trust in God and sincerely try to carry out his instructions, He will carry what we lack and preserve what we have.

Kind regards,
Nimesh

I have been troubled these past few days by responses to my post, and the apparent confusion I have sewn in an attempt to clarify.

My post was hurried and ill-conceived, for which I apologise, and had I considered it a little longer, and had more time to attend to it properly, I would have posted with greater depth and detail. As it was I was chasing time on a number of fronts, and really should have let this pass altogether.

What I do not apologise for is the rejection of this statement:

I would like to suggest that indeed, LSD and other hallucinogenic drugs can & do afford a glimpse of the blissful, Divine consciousness which Christians call 'God.' I have no hesitation in stating this, nor am I the least bit uncertain about what I am saying.

Simply, on behalf of Christianity, I reject that suggestion as ill-founded and opinionated. Many people might claim visions of the divine whilst under the influence of a narcotic, but it is not of what the Christian understand to be God. Again, what the Beatles thought is their own opinion, but I do not value them as theologians, nor, for that matter, as metaphysicians. Might I also add that the band actually fell out with their guru when it became apparent his major preoccupation was trying to bed the girls in their caravanserai - so perhaps their discrimination in this regard was lacking generally.

Dondi said:
'... only that the use of LSD has opened some people up to the realm of the spirit or at least become sensitive to the spiritual realm, whatever plane that might be...'

I tend to view it as opening up to the depths of themselves and this is the psychological reading of Pandora's Box. It is a useful guidelines that the nature of the 'trip' is dependent upon the psychological balance of the person at the time. People having a bad time tend to have bad trips. And if a good trip is divine, is then a bad trip demoniac? Whilst on pop culture, Syd Barrett and Peter Green, the latter one of the greatest blues guitarists of his generation, were psychologically wrecked by drugs (LSD in PG's case). So who decides whether it's a vision of heaven, or a vision of hell?

And consider, if we can view the empyrean heights, we can also view the terrible depths. I do believe the two go hand in hand, and often one is 'denied' a vision of glory purely because one could not accommodate the vision of its contrary.

When Bill Viola, the video artist, was researching in a museum in Japan he was shown a gallery of Buddhist demonic statuary: "Where do all the demons come from?" he mused aloud, at which point his Buddhist-monk guide smiled and tapped him on the chest.

In short, I believe that psychotropics open a window onto the deeper reaches of the self, and not the divine ... what happens thereafter is a matter for the individual, not the drug.

Path-of_One spoke about the use of psychotropics in certain traditional cultures. Again, I regard this as a psychic or psychodynamic process, and not a spiritual one in the sense that a Christian would understand it.

This is not a criticism of culture, but simply an acknowledgement of difference. The Native American, for example, would undergo the sweat lodge as a rite of passage, some employing narcotics, some not. The ensuing experience would be told to the Peace or Medicine Chief, who would paint a symbolic portrayal upon a shield. This shield, the equivalent of a European heraldic device, becomes then not a weapon of defence but rather an emblem of the individual's path, vocation, destiny - within the content of the Great Spirit - a mirror of the inner man - but it remains, I do believe, largely a psychodynamic process, an exposure to the self, rather than an exposure to anything other-than-self.

The skill of the shaman, by the way, is to ensure that nothing 'other' intervenes whilst the subject is 'open' and utterly psychically vulnerable - this is a most dangerous task, not to be attempted lightly, and I hold all shamen in the highest regard for their skill and courage in a very real world...

The tragedy of modern culture is that we have lost all sense of 'rites of passage' and thus a sense of the place of self in the world.

This is not the fault of Christianity, before anyone might suggest otherwise, but the fault of 'rational' man who sees all religious expression as superstition.

If anyone saw 'The Monastery' on TV recently, they would have seen a monk engage a man in an utterly Catholic 'shamanic' moment, when he gave the man a white stone...

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth [it]."
Rev 2:17

Even then, this was not of the Spirit, but in the Spirit, and without the necessity of any order of psychotropics. But the man's life has been changed.

Remember also that our culture wanted to market an ouija board as a kid's game not so long ago ...

Thomas

Hail Thomas,

I don't think the nature of the LSD trip, that is good or bad, is indictive of what direction spiritually one is exposed to. Rather drugs in any form to get to God is not a good idea. In fact, the Bible explictly forbids it:

"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Idolatry, witchcraft (pharmakeia (Strong's 5331)) , hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." - Galatians 5:19-20

Pharmakeia is, of course, where we get the word pharmacy.

But in regard to the Beatles, though they started with drugs, George Harrison, at least, abandoned drugs in favor of a spiritual path in Hindu mysticism. They recognized legitimacy in what they were meditating despite the fact that their leader was in it for more intimate pleasure. You don't throw the baby out with trhe bathwater. If that were the case, then every time some TV evangelist is exposed is some scandal, does that mean that Christians that were deluded into following him should abandon Christianity all together?

All I was suggesting with drugs was that whatever result of the use or misuse of drugs, the mind becomes more succeptable to the spiritual realm. God may not work into the person's life that was, but Satan will use whatever means to take advantage of one who strays from God in this manner, whether transforming into an angel of light or boldly manifest demonically. Nit to say every trip is demonic, but the fight is in the mind.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." - Ephesian 6:12

"And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid. And they that saw it told them how it befell to him that was possessed with the devil, and also concerning the swine." - Mark 5:15-16

How else is a person possessed except in the mind? Were not the pigs possessed before the Legion drowned them?

seattlegal said:

Seattlegal, your are beginning to answer my original question as to how you know which verse to take literally and which verse not to take literally. It is because you feel the Matt. verse would make one uncautious, and that is a very good reason. Thanks for explaining.

Thomas, you make a good argument but one must be aware that it comes with an overt Christian bias. You judge "outsiders" or non-Christian practices, as leading to something inside the individual, and you judge the Christian experience and practices to lead to something else. "Outsiders" to Christianity, esp. Western atheists, tend to classify the Christian religious experience in exactly the same terms as you do these others. I don't think there is a way to disprove it.

Hi Dondi -

I suppose, at the end of the day, the drug issue is simply a sad indictment of our society.

Nothing good ever came from anything bad, but the Good always seeks to salvage something from a bad situation...

I'm addressing your comments on the Gadarene questionm in another post.

Thomas

nimesh0775 said:
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, so forgive me for butting in!

Yeah, I agree with what you say about self-deception. Basically we are minute insignificant living entities that are prone to four types of defects, namely illusion, cheating, imperfect senses and mistakes. No living entity can be claim to be free of these four defects. That is why messengers of God advise people to follow the instructions of God - the one perfect authority. We are always prone to illusion, but if we trust in God and sincerely try to carry out his instructions, He will carry what we lack and preserve what we have.

Kind regards,
Nimesh

Welcome to CR. ;)

I'm not sure who you've been talking to, but I don't consider any of us insignificant. God says to follow His instructions because:

1. we are capable
2. He loves us and doesn't want us to fail
3. did I mention He loves us? :p
4. Did I mention we are capable?

We are told to listen to God, because (and only because), He kind of likes us..to the point where He sacrificed His own for our sakes. I think that means we are pretty precious in His eyes...He wants what is best for us, and only the best. Again, not much in the insignificant area.

my thoughts:D

v/r

Q

Thomas said:
What I do not apologise for is the rejection of this statement:

I would like to suggest that indeed, LSD and other hallucinogenic drugs can & do afford a glimpse of the blissful, Divine consciousness which Christians call 'God.' I have no hesitation in stating this, nor am I the least bit uncertain about what I am saying.

Simply, on behalf of Christianity, I reject that suggestion as ill-founded and opinionated. Many people might claim visions of the divine whilst under the influence of a narcotic, but it is not of what the Christian understand to be God. Again, what the Beatles thought is their own opinion, but I do not value them as theologians, nor, for that matter, as metaphysicians. Might I also add that the band actually fell out with their guru when it became apparent his major preoccupation was trying to bed the girls in their caravanserai - so perhaps their discrimination in this regard was lacking generally.

1. I would say that drugs simply provide illusions and hallucinations. By extending the illusion and escapism it simply adds a layer of ignorance to a world already pervaded with ignorance.

2. Regarding the Beatles, it is dangerous to generalise about all of them. Some had Buddhist gurus, some followed Maharsi Mahesh. In fact all of them met many different gurus, simply because they were searching for a genuine one. George Harrison was a devotee of Krishna (a name for God) and followed the teachings of Shrila Prabhupada (leader of Hare Krishna movement) in this regard, to the extent of donating one of his luxurious homes to the movement to build a temple (which is thriving in Hertfordshire). When he met Prabhupada, he was told quite clearly that drugs do not produce divine consciousness but simply provide hallucinations.

Dondi said:
But in regard to the Beatles, though they started with drugs, George Harrison, at least, abandoned drugs in favor of a spiritual path in Hindu mysticism. They recognized legitimacy in what they were meditating despite the fact that their leader was in it for more intimate pleasure. You don't throw the baby out with trhe bathwater. If that were the case, then every time some TV evangelist is exposed is some scandal, does that mean that Christians that were deluded into following him should abandon Christianity all together?

Exactly, George Harrison, after realising that Maharsi Mahesh was bogus, was actually prepared to follow a genuine guru (Shrila Prabhupada) who strictly forbade drugs, illicit sex, meat-eating and gambling. Prabhupada's advice to him was to make devotional songs about God, which Harrison did so nicely (e.g. My Sweet Lord).

Quahom1 said:
Welcome to CR. ;)

I'm not sure who you've been talking to, but I don't consider any of us insignificant. God says to follow His instructions because:

1. we are capable
2. He loves us and doesn't want us to fail
3. did I mention He loves us? :p
4. Did I mention we are capable?

We are told to listen to God, because (and only because), He kind of likes us..to the point where He sacrificed His own for our sakes. I think that means we are pretty precious in His eyes...He wants what is best for us, and only the best. Again, not much in the insignificant area.

my thoughts:D

v/r

Q

As long as we don't keep God at the centre we are insignificant - not in God's eyes, but from the perspective of what we can do in the world and to help others. Until we understand that anything significant in us is simply to do with the fact that we are eternal servants of God, we will never be able to be anything of enduring significance.

Dondi said:
Good insights, nimesh0775. Welcome to the CR forum!

Thank you Dondi,

I like the open minded nature of people on this forum - open minded, but with principles and conviction. Living up to name if interfaith.

Kind regards,
Nimesh

Thomas said:
Path-of_One spoke about the use of psychotropics in certain traditional cultures. Again, I regard this as a psychic or psychodynamic process, and not a spiritual one in the sense that a Christian would understand it.

This is not a criticism of culture, but simply an acknowledgement of difference. The Native American, for example, would undergo the sweat lodge as a rite of passage, some employing narcotics, some not. The ensuing experience would be told to the Peace or Medicine Chief, who would paint a symbolic portrayal upon a shield. This shield, the equivalent of a European heraldic device, becomes then not a weapon of defence but rather an emblem of the individual's path, vocation, destiny - within the content of the Great Spirit - a mirror of the inner man - but it remains, I do believe, largely a psychodynamic process, an exposure to the self, rather than an exposure to anything other-than-self.

The skill of the shaman, by the way, is to ensure that nothing 'other' intervenes whilst the subject is 'open' and utterly psychically vulnerable - this is a most dangerous task, not to be attempted lightly, and I hold all shamen in the highest regard for their skill and courage in a very real world...

Thomas, I respect that your opinion and assessment of what is going on when shamans and other traditional peoples "spirit-journey" assisted with hallucinogens is that they are delving deeper within, rather than reaching out into the spirit realm or toward God.

However, I remain firm that this is a viewpoint that is biased toward Western culture and religion, and it is not how most shamans or traditional peoples see their own experience. In many cases, shamans use hallucinogens to allow their spirit to journey to various spirit realms, notably the realm of the dead, ancestral spirits, and nature spirits. They use this to heal people, to aid the community in making decisions by predicting probable future events, to resolve conflicts, etc. It is not just about a personal journey, nor just rites of passage. Sometimes drugs are used for that purpose, but in many cases it is perceived as a gateway to another place that is real, and is outside and not within the individual.

Furthermore, each culture and shaman have their way of reaching this state of altered consciousness- some with drugs and many others without drugs, but rather through other means that yield a trance state: drumming, chanting, spinning, dancing, fasting, exposure, sleep deprivation... all these can and do yield a similar state of altered consciousness, and some produce powerful hallucinations.

From a cross-cultural, anthropological perspective, the Christian practice of fasting and exposure (see Christ's forty days in the desert) is just that particular religion's method/tool of inducing altered states. It would be aptly compared to any other way of generating the same mental state. While the technique is different, the goal is the same- it pushes the human mind beyond its ordinary limits and allows for an expansion of one's understanding.

Most scientists would say that all of it is a journey within, including the Christian experience of closer communion with God following fasting and exposure (which can and does produce hallucinations if done with enough zeal). Most religious folks from any religion would say that what they experience is real and is not an experience of their deeper self, but an experience of supernatural stuff "out there." What I cannot do, being both an anthropologist (and so dedicated to overcoming ethnocentrism) and a spiritual person (and so believing in a supernatural "out there") is to designate my own experiences as a Christian as a real connection with God and the spiritual realm, and all other peoples' experiences as simply journeys into the human psyche. It seems singularly biased. Of course, it is a bias that, as a Christian, you have a right to. It just doesn't work for me.

I don't think drugs necessarily lead one to an experience of God. I do think drugs can push people out of their ordinary state of consciousness, which might allow them to be opened up to the spirit realm and they may experience God. Though I don't think it is the way God intended, due to the obvious dangers (which is why shamans are rigorously trained over years under the guidance of a master), I do not limit God by saying He cannot use the experience to reveal Himself to someone.

path_of_one said:
From a cross-cultural, anthropological perspective, the Christian practice of fasting and exposure (see Christ's forty days in the desert) is just that particular religion's method/tool of inducing altered states. It would be aptly compared to any other way of generating the same mental state. While the technique is different, the goal is the same- it pushes the human mind beyond its ordinary limits and allows for an expansion of one's understanding.

Most scientists would say that all of it is a journey within, including the Christian experience of closer communion with God following fasting and exposure (which can and does produce hallucinations if done with enough zeal). Most religious folks from any religion would say that what they experience is real and is not an experience of their deeper self, but an experience of supernatural stuff "out there." What I cannot do, being both an anthropologist (and so dedicated to overcoming ethnocentrism) and a spiritual person (and so believing in a supernatural "out there") is to designate my own experiences as a Christian as a real connection with God and the spiritual realm, and all other peoples' experiences as simply journeys into the human psyche. It seems singularly biased. Of course, it is a bias that, as a Christian, you have a right to. It just doesn't work for me.

I dunno about whether fasting is a means for the Christian to induce an altered state. I see it more as producing a condition of want. By producing a condition of want, a person can be empathetic to the hungry, to the needy. Isaiah 58 explains this:

"Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?
Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy reward.
Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noon day: And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not." - Isaiah 58:5-11

It appears that fasting in some fashion has a purging effect, that our minds and hearts can be more focused on the things of God through the ministering of others. Sort of an induced passion. Again, it may be a method to squash the Ego, since the natural inclination is to seek food for oneself. It must have been in the highest moments of hunger that Satan tempted Jesus to turn stones into bread. But Jesus looked beyond His natural needs to the spiritual mission that was before Him. It is interesting that when the disciples failed to cast a demon out of a man's son, Jesus said, "Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." - Matt 17:21. Perhaps fasting, in conjunction with prayer, is intented to cause a person to look beyond the material or natural conditions to the spiritual possibilities that are opened up to us.

Back