Gifts of the Spirit

Thomas, your post was very interesting. Granted, I don't study these things in the way that you do. However, I would like to ask a few questions to clarify, if you don't mind.

First, are you equating Faerie with the astral realm? And are you saying elementals exist in that realm? I'm curious because my own interpretation has been that Faerie is not the astral realm, but a different place entirely that sort of overlaps our own in a way. I had read that the astral was a realm of human thought- a realm of all the things created by human thought. Perhaps there are not solid definitions of these supernatural places and people are talking past each other and using the same word to describe different things. I suppose I had chalked up the beings people call fae and elementals as nature spirits; perhaps we are talking in the same language about different entities. I've never gotten a very good, solid definition of the astral realm. It seems that all sorts of traditions have their own understandings of what it is and how people get there, and whether or not there are connections between other phenomena, like lucid dreaming and trance, and the astral plane. I've heard some say it's a realm unto itself, and others say it's a gateway to a variety of places. Some say it's thought-forms, others that it is actual spirit-entities. Everyone claims to be basing their definition and beliefs about it on their own personal experiences.

I haven't heard before the idea that all these varied supernatural entities- fae, elementals, succubi/incubi, etc. are all from the same "place," so to speak. I tend to think there are many universes, and the mythology is an attempt of people to grasp glimpses they've had of other places, not one single place.

Second, I'm not sure I understand your definitions of presences vs. essences. Are you saying fae are essences but not presences, and what does that mean? I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but this is new to me and I just am not getting it. As far as I could tell in mythology, fae were personalities, spirit-entities- I would use the term presence for that. I've never been able to tell if what I read in some natural places as "nature spirits" are what others would call fae or not.

Third, as an anthropologist, I have to say that while I do not personally condone drug use to induce trance or spiritual experience, I also do not judge others who do. Though I am a Christian, I refuse to judge the many indigenous cultures around the world who have, for thousands of years, used hallucinogens to induce healing, spirit-journeying, and other spiritual experience. There are many shamans who have given their entire lives to serving their people, and I find it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to somehow judge their religious path and wisdom as inferior to my own and those standard to Western religions and cultures. Perhaps I misunderstood you, but it seems that you were being a bit judgmental of these traditional peoples. I realize this is the Christianity forum, so I won't go into much detail.

I will say that I agree that people who engage in such drug-induced experiences without shamanic guidance are foolish to do so. I do think it opens up a world that is dangerous and frightening to those who have not prepared themselves and who do not have a tradition with which to intepret what they experience.

I do not think anyone was suggesting drugs and the Spirit are the same, but rather that the feeling of spiritual ecstasy can be brought about by a variety of things.

path_of_one said:
Third, as an anthropologist, I have to say that while I do not personally condone drug use to induce trance or spiritual experience, I also do not judge others who do. Though I am a Christian, I refuse to judge the many indigenous cultures around the world who have, for thousands of years, used hallucinogens to induce healing, spirit-journeying, and other spiritual experience. There are many shamans who have given their entire lives to serving their people, and I find it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to somehow judge their religious path and wisdom as inferior to my own and those standard to Western religions and cultures. Perhaps I misunderstood you, but it seems that you were being a bit judgmental of these traditional peoples.

I agree.

Thomas, when you say others have grossly misinterpreted Christian doctrine, perhaps you could qualify that to say in your opinion it is misinterpretation. Or according to Catholic teachings it is misinterpreted. Saying it like you do makes you out to be God's standard for correct interpretation. Only Jesus is qualified for such a position.

I think the judgmentalism extends not only to traditional peoples but also to individuals who contributed to this discussion. To call clearly organized thought presentations of others "a mess" is taking things rather far out of context. Not only that, it is being contemptuous and disrespectful. For this same person to go on and seriously twist statements to suggest they equate LSD with the Holy Spirit probably says more about the speaker than about anyone else.

A person who really knows what he is talking about does not need to take such an authoritative, condescending, judgmental attitude. It is probably not within the jurisdiction of Christians, whether Catholic or otherwise, to decide what is true Christian doctrine per se. We all have the Bible.

One more thing. Thomas, you have kindly shared your own personal experience of enlightenment or contact with God. It is an error to assume that all other people must experience God in the same way as oneself. God is so much bigger than one man's experience that we must allow God the right to reveal Godself differently to others than to oneself. As I have stated elsewhere, God seems to use a person's symbology and culture to speak to a person. For you as a Catholic, it worked to use the statuary of Catholic saints. For Taijasi, esotericism speaks to the soul. Follow your Lord and Master who says, "Judge not that ye be not judged."

RubySera_Martin said:
One more thing. Thomas, you have kindly shared your own personal experience of enlightenment or contact with God. It is an error to assume that all other people must experience God in the same way as oneself. God is so much bigger than one man's experience that we must allow God the right to reveal Godself differently to others than to oneself. As I have stated elsewhere, God seems to use a person's symbology and culture to speak to a person. For you as a Catholic, it worked to use the statuary of Catholic saints. For Taijasi, esotericism speaks to the soul. Follow your Lord and Master who says, "Judge not that ye be not judged."

Another contention that I am uncomfortable with, and perhaps because of my unfamiliarity with it , is the idea of Catholic prayers to the saints. I never understood the need for such. If we pray to them, do we expect an answer back? Are we not then getting into similiar ground as communing with the "spirits" in a different plane that Thomas warns us about? Please clear this up. Thank you.

Quahom1 said:
You see things one way, and the Bible states it another way. ;)
I think it would be more correct to say it is your interpretation of the Bible that states it another way. Because I have read the Bible in the context of the church and it never said the things you suggest it says. Obviously, we interpreted it differently. I don't think you have been elected of God as a standard for the correct interpretation of the Bible.

That bit thrown in about even the faithful being led astray...You thereby insinuate that I am one of the faithful who has been led astray. Note that Jesus said if it were possible even the elect would be deceived. As I said to Thomas, just because someone experiences life differently from you (or traditional Catholic interpretation) that is NOT indication that it is wrong, or misguided or deception.

Shazam!

I know that`Gifts of the Spirit' is a fairly broad term, no matter what Christian perspective appeals to us most ... but it almost looks like there are quite a few various topics brewing - potential for several threads maybe?

Notwithstanding Q's admirable efforts to steer and moderate, folks have touched on angels/fairies, psychic abilities, healing, discernment, right (or inspired?) interpretation of Holy scripture, intercessory prayer & significance of Saints for Catholics/non-Catholics, as well as specific types of experience in/of the psychic & Spiritual worlds. Oh, and of course, glossalalia!

I know there's a common thread ... and in light of your OP, Cavalier, I hope folks can continue to offer up what you originally asked for:
"Do any of you practice, have experience of, or views on these Spiritual gifts?"
Love and Light,

taijasi :)

I think the site ought to create a beginning for every post, "These are my opinions and thoughts, and no matter how much you percieve they are pointed at you they are truly my own and reflect me and not you..." or something to that affect...tis a tough road out there sometimes. I've stepped on my share of toes unintentionally but then can look back on my postings and see how they were misconstrued. touchy subjects we tread.

On the thoughts of Saints and prayers...I notice that all the time someone is praying to the Saint of lost things..they are looking. We had some Hindus in one night teaching us some chants during a midweek service and they discussed something so similar; as a child does the chant for the god of education...they study harder...wouldn't want to chant to the god and ask for help and then not do your part.

Pray and move your feet. I see the power in whatever it takes to get you focused, whether it is the myriad of faces and names of G-d the Hindus use, or the Saints...tis awesome to have a method that is comfortable for you to establish a connection.

wil said:
I think the site ought to create a beginning for every post, "These are my opinions and thoughts, and no matter how much you percieve they are pointed at you they are truly my own and reflect me and not you..." or something to that affect...tis a tough road out there sometimes. I've stepped on my share of toes unintentionally but then can look back on my postings and see how they were misconstrued. touchy subjects we tread.
I think you're talking to me here. I've been bothered by my response to Quahom in Post 84 ever since I saw your post sometime yesterday. I can finally see what I did wrong. I logged on just now to change or delete that post but I see I can do neither, so I will do the next best and apologize for it. I will also explain what I did wrong for those who are interested in the intricacies of exchanges. That's what I'd like if it were someone else so I hope this is the right way to make things right.

RubySera_Martin said in Post 59 (Response to Quahom’s Post 45)

I think you must be talking about a special kind of discernment. The word "discern" in the everyday sense simply means the intellectual function of figuring out which is the best of two different options, to notice something--pick up information such as a barely visible object--from its surrounding background, etc.

I have always understood spiritual discernment as meaning to differentiate between the good and evil spirits. Empathetic discernment would probably be to become aware of another person's unspoken and invisible condition of emotions or body or spirit.

For a person who does not normally pick up on these things it might possibly appear like a mysterious and powerful thing to be feared and reckoned with. But for a person for whom this is natural I don't think anyone need to attach any supernatural values to it at all. It's simply being aware of psychological nuances and how they are expressed.

In other words, the signals are not invisible and unexpressed. They are expressed visibly or audibly or via pattern of thought or behaviour that is quite obvious to anyone who is awake and aware of this level of nuance. It might be necessary to realize that others are not the same as you. The person who thinks that "everybody's like me and anybody's who's not is wierd" is not going to see it.

Learning to recognize and correctly identify these nuances is a life-long task. Thus, the idea that discernment is like life--either you have it or you don't--is incorrect. Just put yourself inside the other person's skin, mindset, emoting habits, etc., and you're ready to start learning.

Quahom said in Post 67:

Perhaps but scripturally we are warned that even the faithful might be led astray, therefore also scripturally we are told some are provided with the supernatural gift of discerning that which is beyond the normal abilities of man. Now, you don't really have issue with me persee, because I didn't set the standards. You see things one way, and the Bible states it another way.

The two statements that I bolded in my post here are inconsistent. I had been going to stick to the everyday use of the term discernment, and then I forgot and switched to saying Q is wrong in that his type of discernment must be learned. I'm sorry about that because that is not something I can know and I have no right to comment on it. I am also very sorry (embarrassed) for my unfair statement in post 84 where I correct Q.

I think where I was really low-handed was that I started pointing out that I was talking about a different kind of discernment, when I realized I had mistakenly switched to include his. At that point I should have confessed my mistake. I didn't. I tried to cover it over. I tend to dispise people who do this. Now it's me. I'm sorry and ask for forgiveness.

Wil, thanks for gently drawing my attention to this.

Ruby

RubySera_Martin said:
I think it would be more correct to say it is your interpretation of the Bible that states it another way. Because I have read the Bible in the context of the church and it never said the things you suggest it says. Obviously, we interpreted it differently. I don't think you have been elected of God as a standard for the correct interpretation of the Bible.

That bit thrown in about even the faithful being led astray...You thereby insinuate that I am one of the faithful who has been led astray. Note that Jesus said if it were possible even the elect would be deceived. As I said to Thomas, just because someone experiences life differently from you (or traditional Catholic interpretation) that is NOT indication that it is wrong, or misguided or deception.

No, that is what the Bible specifically states about the faithful near the times of tribulations. I didn't make it up, nor was I pointing a finger at anyone at all.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Perhaps but scripturally we are warned that even the faithful might be led astray, therefore also scripturally we are told some are provided with the supernatural gift of discerning that which is beyond the normal abilities of man. Now, you don't really have issue with me persee, because I didn't set the standards. You see things one way, and the Bible states it another way. ;)

v/r

Q

Are you taking this from the part I emphasized here in Rev. 2:10?

Rev. 2:10 10 Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Beware, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison so that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have affliction. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/#_ftn1 http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/#_ftnref1The Holy Bible : New Revised Standard Version. 1996, c1989 . Thomas Nelson: Nashville

This is NRSV. In the KJV the word tribulation is used instead of affliction.

According to Matthew it is not possible that the elect are deceived (led astray). Here is the passage; I will highlight the relevant parts:

Matt. 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect’s sake those days shall be shortened. 23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/#_ftn1 http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/#_ftnref1The Holy Bible : King James Version. 1995 . Logos Research Systems, Inc.: Oak Harbor, WA

Which is correct? How do we know?

RubySera_Martin said:
Are you taking this from the part I emphasized here in Rev. 2:10?

Rev. 2:10 10 Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Beware, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison so that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have affliction. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life. The Holy Bible : New Revised Standard Version. 1996, c1989 . Thomas Nelson: Nashville

This is NRSV. In the KJV the word tribulation is used instead of affliction.

According to Matthew it is not possible that the elect are deceived (led astray). Here is the passage; I will highlight the relevant parts:

Matt. 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect’s sake those days shall be shortened. 23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. The Holy Bible : King James Version. 1995 . Logos Research Systems, Inc.: Oak Harbor, WA

Which is correct? How do we know?

They both say the same thing. We shall know suffering for Jesus' sake, and in the second part it states in addition, that if possible, we might be deceived. I see no conflict with the two.

v/r

Q (rhyme);)

Quahom1 said:
They both say the same thing. We shall know suffering for Jesus' sake, and in the second part it states in addition, that if possible, we might be deceived. I see no conflict with the two.

v/r

Q (rhyme);)

Yes, but it's not possible. See below

The difference I see is this: The first implies *IF* you remain faithful to death I will reward you.

There is a condition to be met--that of remaining faithful not for a few days but unto death.

In the second Jesus says *IF* it were possible. This means it's not possible. Not a chance. It is impossible for the elect to be deceived. No condition is required because it's not within the range of possibilities for the faithful not to remain faithful to death. This is God doing the hard work by shortening the time. In the first a great deal depends on the Christian. Major difference.

BTW, this does not come from too much study; it is the understanding I got out of it when I read it as an adolescent. It's very clear if you read closely.

Which is correct and how do we know?

Quahom1 said:

I'm trying to understand what you're saying here. Are you saying faith enables a person to discern which Bible verse is the correct one? Would that mean that one does not have to do any thinking on the matter, no textual or gramatical analysis? No weighing of the pros and cons and no sifting of the evidence?

I find this contradicts what you said earlier. Earlier you said that the Bible says such and such. I take this to mean you do read what the Bible actually says and you go by the authority of the text. Now you seem to be saying one goes only by discernment and not at all by the actual text. I find this very confusing.

Can you clarify?

RubySera_Martin said:
Quahom1 said:

v/r

Q (rhyme)Yes, but it's not possible. See below

The difference I see is this: The first implies *IF* you remain faithful to death I will reward you.

There is a condition to be met--that of remaining faithful not for a few days but unto death.

In the second Jesus says *IF* it were possible. This means it's not possible. Not a chance. It is impossible for the elect to be deceived. No condition is required because it's not within the range of possibilities for the faithful not to remain faithful to death. This is God doing the hard work by shortening the time. In the first a great deal depends on the Christian. Major difference.

BTW, this does not come from too much study; it is the understanding I got out of it when I read it as an adolescent. It's very clear if you read closely.

Which is correct and how do we know?
If you compare 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12, you can see how delusion can set in according to "self-deception," if you read the passage carefully. {Those being deceived are setting themselves up as God, so God sends them strong delusion.} You can see where the "Faith" part that Q mentioned comes in--in verses 13-17. :)

RubySera_Martin said:
Seattlegal, my question is not how deception works. My question is how do people decide which scriptures to take literally?
My post provided another scripture to compare to Matt. 24:21-24, which provides evidence that it is possible for the elect to become deceived and fall away. Verses 1-4 of 2 Thessalonians 2 says that Christ will not appear until after this falling away occurs. Compare this with your analysis of Matt 24:

If you consider both scriptures, you can get a greater understanding of what Jesus said at Matthew 24, without having to jump through metaphorical, allogorical, or literal linguistic hoops, so to speak.

seattlegal said:
My post provided another scripture to compare to Matt. 24:21-24, which provides evidence that it is possible for the elect to become deceived and fall away. Verses 1-4 of 2 Thessalonians 2 says that Christ will not appear until after this falling away occurs. Compare this with your analysis of Matt 24:

If you consider both scriptures, you can get a greater understanding of what Jesus said at Matthew 24, without having to jump through metaphorical, allogorical, or literal linguistic hoops, so to speak.

I wish I was so elequent...alas, it not my strong suite. :eek:

v/r

Q

Back