giving jesus a face means your giving god a face?

Zaakir

part of the ummah
Reaction score
in christianity jesus is god...or god is jesus...or something...being christian for 18 years i did accept it because was made to...but i cant as it doesnt make sense to me....ayway...givin jesus a face and all these statues...doesnt taht mean taht ur givin god face as jesus is god to you?if you say jesus is god then youre giving god a face...but im sure in christianity u cannot give god a face or body..you dont know what he looks like or is...apart from the creator, sustainer, light, guide etc...refer to the 99 names of Allah you will find them very interesting

No more than by taking a picture or painting a picture of you I am giving G-d a face. We were all made in the image of G-d, we are all G-d's children.

You are right, hard to describe the undescribable...

we are not made in the image of god...why would god make us in His image...that means we know what He looks like...god is all powerfull all mighty and wise...He cannot be compared to any human so why would He compare Himself to us?we are nothing...a single celled oragnism could kill us...and youre sayin god would compare Himself to something this weak...by looking like us?i find that blasphamous

Zaakir said:
we are not made in the image of god...why would god make us in His image...that means we know what He looks like...god is all powerfull all mighty and wise...He cannot be compared to any human so why would He compare Himself to us?we are nothing...a single celled oragnism could kill us...and youre sayin god would compare Himself to something this weak...by looking like us?i find that blasphamous

No, giving God the Father a face is not possible at this time, because Jesus stated "No one has ever seen the Father--except Him who is from God" and he that is from God is the Son of God, Jesus Christ. He has seen the Father, because Jesus co-existed with God from all eternity, he is one with the Father. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." If God the Father indeed has a face it is not able to be seen by sinful man who cannot look upon the glory of the Holy, Righteous and Ancient God of Spirits. However, Christ who, for a little while, was on earth to die for our sins bridged that gap, was able to be seen and touched by man. Back when God did walk with Adam and Eve in the garden until they sinned, God did not walk again with us until Jesus came--whose name was Emmanuel, meaning God is with us. Jesus being born with all the fullness of God was divine in nature, and his image was that of the Father, for he was sinless and perfect in the eyes of God, he loved God, and obeyed him doing the will of the Father that sent him. Jesus, the eternal, pure, holy, righteous and Elect One "He is the image of the invisible God...." Who sits on the throne of God, and is coming again soon. We are the image of God because we have the ability to love God with all our heart, mind, and soul in spirit and truth, and doing the will of the Father, and having faith in him and the Son, who he sent to us, out of that love.

Zaakir said:

The Bible says in Genesis that God said "let us make man in our image, after our likeness." Do you find the Torah to be blasphemous? Just wondering?

Chris

Does giving Jesus a face mean you give God a face? I would say yes and no.
To me it's like this. Jesus is the "public face" of God. A TV news station will have a newsreader or anchor, that person is the "face" of Channel 9 news. Their face represents the whole organisation, but at the same time they are just one person and their face belongs to them alone.
Hope that makes sense.

Zaakir said:

And God made the beast of the earth after his kind,
and cattle after their kind,
and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind:
and God saw that it was good.
And God said,
Let Us make man in Our image, after Our likeness:
and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea,
and over the fowl of the air,
and over the cattle,
and over all the earth,
and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

(Genesis 1:25-26)

Hope that helps. ;)

v/r

Q

cavalier said:
Does giving Jesus a face mean you give God a face? I would say yes and no.
To me it's like this. Jesus is the "public face" of God. A TV news station will have a newsreader or anchor, that person is the "face" of Channel 9 news. Their face represents the whole organisation, but at the same time they are just one person and their face belongs to them alone.
Hope that makes sense.

I like that. :)

Zaakir said:

I think it depends on what you mean by "image." Image doesn't necessarily imply "face.":D

Here's how I think it might be seen:

True, we were all made in the image of God, but that doesn't mean we all have the same face. "Image" could refer to "character" and "personality." We were all made to be like God in our character and personality. We had God's holy character and personality. We were made for good not evil.

But Adam ate the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, so the image of God in us has now been distorted. It has lost its initial "shape." It's been twisted and deformed so that our character and personality is no longer like that of God. We can be selfish, arrogant, conceited, greedy, deceitful, hateful and spiteful.

That is not what God is like.

The word "image" seems to have a metaphorical and allegorical meaning. It doesn't always refer to something you see with your physical eye. "Image" could refer to a design, blueprint, model, fingerprint or signature. The design of a building or piece of equipment could be seen as that building or equipment's "image." Your fingerprint, signature, DNA, body shape or appearance could be an "image" used to represent your identity.

Maybe that's what we mean by "image of God": a signature that God makes on His creation. We have the "signature" of God in us. Our bright side, our own benevolent character may be the sign that we were made by a benevolent God: a signature of God inscribed in our heart and soul. It's got to a lot to do with the traits and identity of an subject object.

Does giving Jesus a face mean giving God a face? I think not!!! I would think of it as Jesus' character and personality being a projection, an image of God's own character.

Zaakir said:
Admin Edit

You can't do that Zaakir. Take your personal belief and express it in Islam thread.

If you post another attack on Christians or Judaeac faith here in the Christian forum, I will have your posts removed.

I will not argue with you.

v/r

Q

Last edited by a moderator:
Regards, Zaakir!

Your thoughts are flawed. Many Christians do not believe in graven images and idols as one of the Ten Commandments. As a precaution, they do not give Jesus, or G-d, a face at all. They keep no pictures of such at all. Besides, even what Christians do have pictures as a reminder, they typically do not worship the image. Are there not images of Mohammed? Do Muslims revere images of Mohammed? Must be something special about Mohammed's picture, it sure gets a lot of Muslim people upset when somebody else makes a cartoon of him, so Muslims must worship images of Mohammed...

I think you misunderstand what the Old Testament passage means. I do not care how much Christian influence you may have had, you are most incorrect in presuming that the passage means people look like G-d.

Allow me to explain. Your shadow is your image. It is in the image of Zaakir. Yet, your shadow is not you. It does not think like you, it does not speak like you, it does not have the same hair color or eye color as you do. Yet, it is made in your image!

Because the Word of G-d says that people are made in the image of G-d, does *not* mean people are G-d. People are nothing like G-d, that is why we need redeemers. Redeemers like Moses, Jesus, and Mohammed. You follow yours, and I will follow mine. If we can meet in peace, praise G-d! If not, I will defend my beliefs, just as I expect you to defend yours. However, I will not strike the first blow, I am not like Cain. I will strike the last blow.

juantoo3 said:
Regards, Zaakir!

Your thoughts are flawed. Many Christians do not believe in graven images and idols as one of the Ten Commandments. As a precaution, they do not give Jesus, or G-d, a face at all. They keep no pictures of such at all. Besides, even what Christians do have pictures as a reminder, they typically do not worship the image. Are there not images of Mohammed? Do Muslims revere images of Mohammed? Must be something special about Mohammed's picture, it sure gets a lot of Muslim people upset when somebody else makes a cartoon of him, so Muslims must worship images of Mohammed...

I think you misunderstand what the Old Testament passage means. I do not care how much Christian influence you may have had, you are most incorrect in presuming that the passage means people look like G-d.

Allow me to explain. Your shadow is your image. It is in the image of Zaakir. Yet, your shadow is not you. It does not think like you, it does not speak like you, it does not have the same hair color or eye color as you do. Yet, it is made in your image!

Because the Word of G-d says that people are made in the image of G-d, does *not* mean people are G-d. People are nothing like G-d, that is why we need redeemers. Redeemers like Moses, Jesus, and Mohammed. You follow yours, and I will follow mine. If we can meet in peace, praise G-d! If not, I will defend my beliefs, just as I expect you to defend yours. However, I will not strike the first blow, I am not like Cain. I will strike the last blow.

agreed. I too wil strike the "last blow", but not out of revenge, but only out of regret, and reticense.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
agreed. I too wil strike the "last blow", but not out of revenge, but only out of regret, and reticense.

v/r

Q

Whether he was in a discussion, asking-questions, debating or attacking mode I can't really be sure. It seems that what separates us from him is our differences in literary background (Bible, Quran), and I've kind of grown used to people with a different literary background. It used to offend me, but now I think we just don't understand each other's beliefs/way of thinking and can't communicate properly.

He may or may not have been aware of our differences in literary background. Was he asking to learn or just shooting down our beliefs?:confused:

Zaakir didn't quote any verses from the Quran, and didn't appear to be trying to promote Islam either. He kept his posts short too. I interpreted his posts as just the innocent act of asking . . . Perhaps this belongs more on the Abrahamic Faiths' forum? Or nowhere?

That sounds like a good idea - moved to Abrahamic. :)

ok ok...i was just asking a simple question as to god...if jesus is god and you give jesus a face and a body...im sure we all know the famous picture?anyway if jesus is god then giving him aface and body means you are givin god a human face and body...thats all i wanted to know...and whether taht is really acceptable?because when i was a christian, who went church very often, i couldnt understand this...because personnaly i thought how is that possible?i am not attacking you from an islamic side of views as this is wrong for me to do so...as islam says i cannot do this...not can i slag off the gospel or the torah, because these are in the Quran..but we beleive that the origional from god is in the Quran..and too the guy before who started about the Muhammad cartoons..i wasnt a muslim when they came out and i found what the muslims had done to be shocking and all of my muslim friends agreed...the protests were acceptable...but burning flags was too extreme in my oppinion...as for us not having pictues of Muhammad (pbuh)..which we would never worship as he is not god and only human!i dont think you understood what you had wrote...the fundamental beleif n islam is:
there is no God but God and Muhammad is His messenger...so why would we even dare consider worshiping him?

Doesn't Islam subscribe to the concept of God making Man in His own image, as per the account in Genesis?

Zaakir said:
The Rabbis interpreted that passage, that we are made in the image and likeness of God, to mean that we are equally capable of doing godly things (that is, good works) as our creator. It doesn't mean that we physically look like God, but rather that we have the power and capability to act like God.

I was raised (in my Catholic background) with a similar opinion.

Zaakir said:
if jesus is god and you give jesus a face and a body...im sure we all know the famous picture?anyway if jesus is god then giving him aface and body means you are givin god a human face and body...thats all i wanted to know...and whether taht is really acceptable?

You've identified one of the major things that sets Judaism, Christianity and Islam apart. It really hinges on whether or not you believe Jesus is a god, is the God, a prophet, or something else. In Judaism, Jesus was a historical figure, nothing more. In Christianity, he is God, he died for our sins, was resurrected on the third day, ascended into Heaven and is will come again to judge the living and the dead. In Islam, Jesus is a prophet, one of many, but not the only and he will be present at the end of the world.

So it really boils down to this: What do you believe?

so goving jesus a face and a body interpretation is accetable?becasue in christianity...jesus is God or a God, right?so if youre giving him a face your giving God a face....simple as....you have to agree youre giving God a face and reptresentation as jesus is God....if you say no...then are you denying the trinity?

islam dies not support Genesis which says God created us in His image...in islam God created man from soil and created woman from man...

you said:
You've identified one of the major things that sets Judaism, Christianity and Islam apart. It really hinges on whether or not you believe Jesus is a god, is the God, a prophet, or something else. In Judaism, Jesus was a historical figure, nothing more. In Christianity, he is God, he died for our sins, was resurrected on the third day, ascended into Heaven and is will come again to judge the living and the dead. In Islam, Jesus is a prophet, one of many, but not the only and he will be present at the end of the world.

i dont understand the relevance...sorry...can you explain?

Zaakir said:
so goving jesus a face and a body interpretation is accetable?becasue in christianity...jesus is God or a God, right?so if youre giving him a face your giving God a face....simple as....you have to agree youre giving God a face and reptresentation as jesus is God....if you say no...then are you denying the trinity?

I'm not a Christian, so I say no. I don't believe in the trinity.

Zaakir said:
i dont understand the relevance...sorry...can you explain?

How one views Jesus, whether as God, as a prophet, a historical figure or something else is important in how one looks at God when making artwork.

Zaakir said:
...anyway if jesus is god then giving him aface and body means you are givin god a human face and body... the fundamental beleif n islam is:
there is no God but God and Muhammad is His messenger...so why would we even dare consider worshiping him?
first part of your question is NO, that doesnt mean you are giving God a face and a body. God the father in his glorified heavenly form cannot be seen, it would kill us all for we are unrighteous and sinful and could not look upon him, we would surely die and the mountains melt like wax in his presense. However, christ being born of the virgin mary and the holy spirit of God, he had the nature of man (a face, a body, blood, etc.) which would allow his physical body to die for our sins, but he also had the nature of God from where he came (forgiving others, being worshipped, sinless, fulfilling prophetic scriptures of the messiah, God and the Holy Spirit testifying on his behalf) having the fullness of God dwelling within in him, he was able to have power over life because he is life, and his Spirit back to the throne of God it went.

You wouldnt worship muhammad being a sinful man, you are to worship the sinless Christ however, because in the words of the prophets, angels, wise men, john the baptist, the holy spirit, God himself, all testify of the Son that he is the Lamb of God to die for our sins, he is the Son of God who came from God being born of God's Holy Spirit to die for our sins, who is God who created all things, who is from everlasting, and the great I Am. Recognizing Christ as the Son of God is recognizing the true nature of God. Jesus Christ being the way, the truth, and the life died for our sins so that we might have eternal life.

Jesus Christ being the way is the only way for us as sinful people who cannot follow the laws without breaking them, died for our sins so we might be able to forgiven and cleansed, thus be acceptable to God in his presence in heaven. Jesus Christ is the truth, all things Jesus Christ said were of the Father and the Spirit, who he is before all things, who was, and who is after all things. The words of Christ are truth today, tomorrow, and yesterday, because the words of God are truth. Jesus Christ is the life, because all things were made through him, he has the power to judge and give death or everlasting life, he has the power to resurrect.

those are a few reasons you would worship the Lord Jesus Christ.

Back