Daily Wisdom Saying

Think

When the child cries 'wolf' again and again,
think wolf and keep watchful again and again.

Cynicus Anonymus

Susma Rio Sep

Refuse no one the good on which he has a claim When it is in your power to do it for him.

Proverbs 3:27

"Human beings are one of the greatest achievements in the history of the world. We are our own achievement. So many people have dedicated their lives to working for our benefit. So many things that we have now came from people before us. We owe to them to make the most of our times now. We can create things of such beauty and magnificent dimensions, and we have the potential to destroy and tear down and deplete as well. This is so simple and so clear. The future holds everything. In my life I want to feel as good as possible and help as many people as I can to feel the same. I want to do everything and I want to help as many people do everything too. Everyone is invited. No one is turned away here."

--Andrew W.K.
(an incredibly wise and simple heavy metal musician)
http://www.andrewwk.com/
http://www.awkworld.com/

Principal objective

Whatever film Hollywood turns out,
It turns out principally for money.

-- Cynicus Anonymus

Susma Rio Sep

Application

Ch'eng-t'ien was asked, "How should I apply my mind twenty-four hours a day?"

He replied, "When chickens are cold, the roost in trees; when ducks are cold, the plunge into water."

The questioner said, "Then i don't need cultivated realization, and won't pursue Buddhahood or Zen mastery."

Ch'eng-t'ien responded, "You've saved half my effort."

At the time, discipline seems a cause not for joy but for pain, yet later it brings the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who are trained by it.

-Hebrews 12:11 NAB

"Now this is what I want y'all to do. If you got faults, defects or shrotcomings--you know, like arthritis, rheumatism or migraines--whatever part of your body it is, I want you to lay it on the radio. Let the vibes flow through. Funk not only moves, it can re-move. Dig?"

"Somebody said, 'Is their funk after death?' I said, 'Is Seven-Up?'"

--Sir Lollipop Man of the funk band Parliament

All very human

Buddha says: "Do not make statues of me",
saying with a great self-complacent smile
of utmost serenity.

Jesus says: "I have food you know not of",
saying afterwards He asked for the bathroom.

Cyncus Anonymus

Commentary: Whatever the intention of the author who is certainly doing fiction and employing writers' liberty, the two sayings are invitations to Buddhists and Christians to meditate on the humanity of the one and the other.

Buddha never claimed to be anything but human; Jesus is taught by His followers to be a complete man, in everything except sin. Having to go to the bathroom is not a sin. Of course Christians also teach that He is true God, which however does not diminish his true and complete humanity.

Susma Rio Sep

Work is love made visible. If you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy.

~Kahlil Gibran

Back