Are you a heretic?

In the cartoon of Jonah, isn't that what people were doing in Ninevah (Mosul) slapping people with fishes?

Interesting...
Yeah, Jonah was pretty upset when those fish-slappers in Nineveh repented from their evil and violent ways and avoided being overthrown as he had prophesized. He showed much more compassion for the plant that grew up and died over the course of one day while he was outside of the city moping that the city wasn't overthrown than he showed for those fish-slappers who changed their ways. :)

and started comparative religious studies,

Hi sg,

So how did they all stack up for you then? Feel free to provide a long and rambling reply.:) (I know it will be interesting, insightful and probably other stuff too!)

s.

Yep, that settles it. I'm a Zen heretic, who got "slapped with a fish," and was called away by the evangelism of Christianity! :eek:

Hi sg,

When I think of evangelism I have an image of one person putting me in an arm lock while another forces a copy of their holy book down my throat. When there is a knock at the door I answer it and I receive an offer. I listen and then may politely say that I am not interested in their offer. After this their persistence is an infringement and is patronising (because they think they know better than me and their training and one-track mind means they are not going to accept a polite refusal.)

The "worse" was a reference to coecion, as I said in my first post on that thread.

s.

Hi sg,

So how did they all stack up for you then? Feel free to provide a long and rambling reply.:) (I know it will be interesting, insightful and probably other stuff too!)

s.
It's a continually ongoing process. Some beliefs I've come acrossed make a lot of sense to me, others don't. I agree with many of the ideas forwarded by many religions, but I disagree with some others. Some make my eyes glaze over and think, "what the heck are you rambling on about?" while others hold my attention better and are more easily understood. (Kinda like the differences you find between individual human beings!) :p

IMHO, any religion worth its salt will contain some form of the Principle of Reciprocity--the Golden Rule. I am grateful that most do. (Now, if only the great majority of people would recognize the value of it and practice it.)

InLove said:
But then what will I do with this scarlet "H" someone has pinned to me collar?:eek:
cyberpi said:
I would add a scarlet "ome" or "ouse" and invite people over. Maybe add a "ospital" or "c_arity" and Help people in need. Or maybe a "is" or "ers" with something like a fish or a cross to signify a relationship. Maybe add a "Fait" and ask for some more letters.

But I would NOT add a "otel" and be for rent to just anyone... I am a heretic: I pick and choose.

I think its best to NOT add the "ate" and proclaim the person or people that judged to be evil... worthy of disposal.

I also think its best to NOT remove the scarlet "H" and proclaim all judging to be wrong. Without a "H" then how would people spell some words that they like? ... like Hydrocarbon?

I missed this post somehow, cyberpi--just now saw it! Hmmm...if we just got rid of the word "heretic" as lunamoth suggested, then we might all be appier--you know--e ain't eavy, e's my brother.:)

Is is just me, or am I starting to sound little like Eliza Doolittle?

InPeace,
InLove

Back