WARNING: Member fraud

I surely don't believe that...I've had too many too good to be true things happen...

Of course I do look a gift horse in the mouth as well...

wil...Then you wouldn't be averse to telling us of your many experiences in life regarding how one deals with "gift horse breath". Feed him/her an apple first ?

flow....:p

wil...Then you wouldn't be averse to telling us of your many experiences in life regarding how one deals with "gift horse breath". Feed him/her an apple first ?

flow....:p
Note, All of the google ads on this thread are regarding internet scams...

It isn't the breath that will get you, it is being diplomatic to alleviate the disappointment upon refusal, and/or knowing the what the rendering factory will pay, note I am only continuing the analogy here, no animals were harmed during this post and I have never sent a horse to the glue factory...

I have however purchased property that nobody wanted for a song because I knew someone who would provide and orchestra in exchange...

we had a big exposay on the tv show 60 minutes a few months ago. people were just sending these criminals money and then whining about how now they have to sell their house etc just to get by. stupid. this man who had sent over over 30 000 dollars to this mob was still doing it because he couldnt believe that he didnt have the "millions" of dollars coming. fool

Kindest Regards, greymare!
we had a big exposay on the tv show 60 minutes a few months ago. people were just sending these criminals money and then whining about how now they have to sell their house etc just to get by. stupid. this man who had sent over over 30 000 dollars to this mob was still doing it because he couldnt believe that he didnt have the "millions" of dollars coming. fool
"There's a sucker born every minute." -P. T. Barnum

It never ceases to amaze me what some people will choose to believe. The internet is rife with charlatans and outright liars, yet "this is true, I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from some guy halfway around the world...", so be sure to pass this chain message around and kick back a few bucks to the person who sent it to you... Dum Dee Dum.

The bad part is when elder folks are marked as targets. A great many of them are no longer in full mental capacity to figure these things out. The perpetrators know this, and that is why a lot of their efforts are aimed at older folks. Besides, older folks often have larger nest eggs to pull from.

So yeah, it is important that we watch carefully for ourselves and our families, but it is also important that we help oversee what our parents and grand-parents are getting themselves into. It can be a dicey situation...a lot of folks don't freely share information about their financial situation even with relatives and those who have their best interest at heart. Yet these same people often expose themselves to be fleeced by these con artists, and the experience of financial ruin is a very, very hard lesson to learn the hard way.

Personally, I just can't figure out how such con artists can sleep at night with their conscience. How can one rob an elderly person of their life savings and leave them destitute at such a vulnerable point in their lives and manage to justify it with anything other than raw greed? Even if I were destitute, and I have walked very close to that for a good portion of my life, I could never justify stealing everything, least of all from a person who has no way to replace it. I have in the past justified taking what wouldn't be missed (and I have since concluded that even that is not "karmically" right). I cannot understand how someone can justify to themselves the taking of a person's livelihood, especially an elderly person.

I can't understand how anybody can beat up the elderly and disabled in order to rob them of the few possessions that they have. Worse still, some just do it for kicks. Yet if it were their grandparents they would be livid and out for revenge!

i received one of those emails not 2 days after the 60 minutes episode. i knew it was one of those bogus emails. the sincerity or lack of it was highlighted with the first sentence, "My dearest little One," . Oh yeah, this was a definate email from a reliable source. not!!!!!!!! All they wanted was for me to agree to send them some money, only $130. Because some long lost relative of mine had died in Africa and I was to inherit 30 million dollars. After I paid the relavent government officials,(of course). I mean to say, fair dinkum. what a lot of sh-t. I deleted it, after showing some friends, of course. It was good for a giggle. I have no one in Africa and I am not an idiot. what if it was true? oh well . i dont miss what i havent got. love the grey

I can't understand how anybody can beat up the elderly and disabled in order to rob them of the few possessions that they have. Worse still, some just do it for kicks. Yet if it were their grandparents they would be livid and out for revenge!

People can be shot.... Dead, just for looking at someone the wrong way, or being on the wrong part of town.... So for an elderly person to be robbed... That isn't too shocking.... And It is sad because it should be... But (I know wil will come in with his stats and crap lol but) We have seen so much violence and crime and the crap we watch on TV and in the theatres... And we are simply becoming desensitised...

I have had two such emails this past week, one from nigeria and one from a woman in supposedly saudi... I did not give CF or my other forums that email addy, and was curious as to how I'd been found... am curious to see if others get them and also if those who do from this site also signed the womens rights petition which was a link some of us followed from this site which a member had posted sincerely, as that was the only occasion I have used this other email addy...

adios

Oh no, I posted that thread Francis, although I haven't had any emails. I do hope it didn't come from there. Although that one was for women in Iran but I don't suppose scammers care.

Would be interested to know if anyone else that followed the link got the scam email. Very sorry if it was from there.

Phylis, strong coffee one sugar please and a Marlboro light.

Had no scam mail or a confirmation from them yet.

Thank heavens for that. I didnt get a confirmation or a reply to my request for information - perhaps why they only have 4000 signatures in so long?! :confused:

got a new scam mail today........... apparently I have won 500,000 pounds in a yahoo/bank of scotland lottery. not freaking likely.... and all they wanted was my account details to deposit the money in...........ooohhh ......... Do I look that stupid? (dont answer that). be aware.

lol, dont smoke anymore although i do get the craving when Im drinking. and two heaped teaspoons of coffee, half a teaspoon of sugar and just a dash of lite milk,(its gotta look like mud)

I got a letter from a Nigerian lawyer offering me zillions of dollars.
Well, not exactly me.
I used the name of an old toy, a rabbit puppet named J. Sidney Lawrence, to track how my information was used when I signed up for an e-something or other.
"Sid" received a letter from a Nigerian lawyer who told him that a millionaire whose last name was also Lawrence had died in a trgic accident & left no heirs. He did not ask for a bank account number or anything like that, initially he just wanted confirmation that his email was received. Being the considerate person I am, I corrected it & returned it with the suggestion that he get his secretary's computer a spell-check program.
He wrote back insisting that his offer was legitimate & contiinued to insist that, even after "Sid" claimed to work for the FBI International Fraud Division.
He emailed me several times to describe how real the zillions of dollars were, & each time he used a different email address. He also was promoted from attorney to a government official, "Attorney Minister".
I finally got rid of him by pretending to be Sid's secretary & claiming that Sid had gone undercover to investigate Nigerian banking fraud & couldn't be reached.
I received a couple in my own name from persecuted Iraqi Christians offering me millions if I help them escape from Iraq.

You good at that?

Nah...usually I can't make it from the kitchen to the library without following one of the cats.:D
The "persecuted Iraqi Christians" didn't even want a map, just my bank account info so they could "transfer funds the anti-Christian government wanted to confiscate".:rolleyes:

I recently got one by an alleged victim of the latest Ponzi scam (I can't recall the ex-Wall Street broker who was the mastermind, but you guys might remember. :eek:) Luckily my e-mail account caught it, sent it to the spam folder, and let it "ferment" (unlike the e-account I have through school that lets almost all spam through, including "Increase your *ahem* size/output" enuram.)

*pours a cup of decaf, adds a couple shots of Irish cream and a half teaspoon of sugar, then searches for a "light" cigarette (I don't smoke, so. . .)*

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I downloaded the entire Dateline NBC series/shows... There is one called 'To catch a con man.' and in this series they take you into the world of these theives... And how it all starts from a simple email offering you, you know the "usual" YOU'VE WON TEH PRIZE!!! Some African lottery you didn't even enter! You have won, the chances of that!

Or we have X million pounds and they are stuck in a bank lulz and we for some reason cannot access them, but you a total stranger you can put them in your bank!!! Just pay these bank fee's lulz....

Anyway, they "bite" to the emails and arrange meetings.... And it's a real good show to watch, they typically try to play your heart strings with terrible english, me no wel me neeed huspital bed me sick and neeed muny fir oparations! pwease pay for me!

Then they meet them and they are your typical/average dumbass criminal..... As of the "laws" and "justice" there is all this evidence... From emails to letters to phone conversations to the video conversations, yet nothing can be done and they walk away, and the classic bit is these ***** are destroying lives.... And what did the FBI rep say? basically 'we can't be assed to do anything about it' lulz he was saying it isn't a big enough problem... But, it is....

It is also classed with credit card fraud... And that is ever growing, yet you can get away with it.... You can even have the stolen goods delivered to your own front door.... Untouchable... Trust me, I know.

So at the end of the show, the con man smiles and just, walks away...

Back