In the beginning was the Logos

You did ask this two posts ago...are you asking me for an example, or Q?

I posted the question, or I thought I did, but sometimes there's a delay. Weird stuff happens here, I don't know why. Sometimes you post and it doesn't show up, so you post again, and then there's a duplicate.

Umm...I'm looking for an example, but I'm not thinking of God in the personal sense. So maybe the question is rediculous. I just can't think of any example of when God, as a Force that governs the Universe (kinda thing), or Nature, gives anyone or anything any slack.

Chris

Oh, maybe you did. I was looking for a link. Hmmm...O.K. I'll take it like a man....owww, ouch, ooo, shgeesh...ooompf. ohhhh...!

Chris

I posted the question, or I thought I did, but sometimes there's a delay. Weird stuff happens here, I don't know why. Sometimes you post and it doesn't show up, so you post again, and then there's a duplicate.
I've noticed that posts at the very bottom of a page can 'disappear' until someone makes another post.

Umm...I'm looking for an example, but I'm not thinking of God in the personal sense. So maybe the question is rediculous. I just can't think of any example of when God, as a Force that governs the Universe (kinda thing), or Nature, gives anyone or anything any slack.

Chris

I have a difficult time with the idea of an interventionist God. Certainly begs the question of why some people are spared, others not. But, mercy perhaps is in the eye of the beholder.

As I said, I think it's up to us to show mercy, and that is where we see God's mercy reflected in the world. God works through our hearts and hands. Also I trust in God's unconditional love, and that is mercy, grace, but it's also a subjective thing.

So, is this a SDA thing, or an online game, or what?

:D

1st Samuel 5...

When the Philistines carried off the Ark, G-d "smote them with emerods" (I spelled it wrong) and mice.

When they couldn't handle it any more, they made golden images of the emerods and mice and put them in a little chest on a new cart (with the Ark) and sent it back to Israel.

As near as I can figure, the emrods were hemhorroids (sp) because the got them in their "secret parts".:D

Perhaps Thomas knows for sure.

Mercy...I think that mercy is a solely human construct. Mercy implies a consideration of mitigating circumstances. I can't think of an instance where God or nature demonstrates mercy.

Chris
How did the animals know to move to higher ground when the big Tsunami hit?
Why do elephants know where to dig for water during a drought?
Why do some people always end up kicking themselves for not heeding an intuitive warning?
A little nudge can make a big difference. ;)

Yeah, but it's more a surrender to the essential paradoxes, isn't it? Like always reaching but never holding? Or trying to not try? I mean, even if the meaning is in the journey and not the destination, one must have a destination to begin the journey. You can't just sit on the couch and imagine the journey to save the effort.
Love and mercy require free-will, and cannot be forced.
Justice is balance, but balance needs an essential imbalance to presuppose its necessity.

Chris
Wouldn't that imbalance be a lack of love and mercy? Isn't that the reason why people do unjust things? Isn't that why we have the two greatest commandments, upon which "hang all the Laws and Prophets?"
Matt 22:36-40 said:
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
37 Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

{Why does this thread remind me of the Mythos and Logos thread?}

As near as I can figure, the emrods were hemhorroids (sp) because the got them in their "secret parts".

Why? Who told you, come on, who was it! Have my kids been posting again? ... And stop laughing, all of you, it's no laughing matter, believe me! ;)

Thomas

Kindest Regards, pfw!

BTW, I don't believe we have formally met before, welcome to CR!

An interesting point of view. Seems I recall Noriega was dethroned in part by U.S. Marines blasting Rock'n'Roll music...psyops, :D

I seem to recall reading in the early '90's about some experimental sonic weapons, large enough to be mounted on trucks, that could do some really nasty things to humans...

The book you mention sounds rather like something Von Daniken might write...
I think the book 'Gods Of Eden' was written by Andrew Collins, (he tends to bang on a bit about Atlantis but he's interesting rather than a nutter) but not 100% sure as been a good few years since I read it, lent to a friend, not got it back... (we've all been there).
Sonics is interesting-a lot of dance tracks use a specific beat that actually speeds up your hart rate slightly, if a simple beat to music can do that...
Also it's well known that some opra singers can shatter glass by hitting certain notes...

Actually, the military has an effective working model that is carried on the back of a HUMVEE. It is considered a non-lethal weapon used for riot control. The unit can focus on one individual out of a crowd, or at the crowd at large, and it does indeed make people run for cover (with no sustained damage).

The second part of your thought here deals with the physical laws of "resonant frequencies". Everything has a resonant frequency (or critical frequency), that when subjected to, can either counter or amplify to the point of structural failure. Even epileptics can be set off into a seizure by being subjected to vibration, sound or even light that has a particular frequency that the individual is sensitive to.

Another example is the propellor shafts of large ships. They each have a "critical RPM" that they can not be set to, unless one wishes to shake the ship apart. You can go above that critical RPM or stay below it...just can remain at the critical RPM for very long. Case in point would be one ship I served on for three years. Critical shaft RPM was 216. So, the Engineer would pitch out the Propellor blades and run at 214 shaft RPM, or pitch in the propellor blades and run at 218 shaft RPM. Try running at 216 shaft RPM and the whole back end of the ship would shake with tremendous violence.
Didn't know that about ships and prop shafts-interesting. Thanks for 'resonant frequency'- I didn't know the correct term. Seems I'm going to be doing some catch up reading about sonic/sound weapons as I didn't know that about the HUMVEE mounted weapon (but I'll bet they can make a lethal version of it...)

pfw:

In the work and reading I've done there does appear to be a pervading and harmonic array of acoustic wave forms that compose some sort of scaffolding for the universal structure ( I'd say matrix, but that's too simple a concept since it's multidimensional beyond our four.). Current ideas are that the universe is a bulk of branes ( membranes) upon which are arrayed the stuff that's in there and out there.

The two new high energy colliders will begin to tell us more about the picture when they power-up over the next ten years or so beginning with CERNS's new toy this fall.
Our sun constantly washes us with not only light and heat, but zillions of low-frequency acoustic wave forms.
The Earth also generates them. As above, so below... and everything here is likely reflective of that.

Oh... and there's more than a little evidence pointing to the fact that RNA and DNA are based upon some sort of musically structured scaffolding.

Yeah...G-d. Music !

Just think of it all as "... music of the spheres?".

You may also want to look at some older posts by Marietta that tried to formalize some similar ideas, but she hasn't shown up for a while. Not avant garde' enough around here probably.

CHEERS !

flow....:p
Wow... RNA-DNA, know nothing about that (beyound the double helix and simple stuff) so I'll take your word for it-can you recomend any books (start simple please).
The rest I was trying to put it simply- not that I'm claiming any great knowledge, just a very basic understanding at best.

pfw... There's not much available to the general public on the relationship of musical structure to the genome. My information comes from the 80's and 90's when I was somewhat involved with technology and science matters at the academic level. I know there was work of this sort going on at The Beckman Institute for Advanced Research at several locations around the USA. I don't specifically know of any books in layman's language concerning this subject area, but If you google the Beckman site ( assuming there is one, they're fairly secretive ) you might get some leads that you could take to Amazon, etc.

flow....:cool:

O.K., well...I'm thinking of "God" in a completely non-anthropomorphic sense. But, could you give me some examples?

Chris

Well then I'll concentrate on the nature part (though in reality I believe it also to be living examples of the Supreme Architect's mercy through His creation).

A good book on this issue is "Animal Angels" by Stephanie Layland.

"There are several wonderful stories of rats (!) saving lives. A West Virginia coal miner befriended a rat while working in the coal mines, sharing his lunch with him day after day. A day arrived when the usually complacent rat was extremely nervous and began running around in such a state of anxiety that the miner stopped working and followed his little friend to see what the problem was. Within moments, the ceiling of the room in which the miner was working collapsed. Had the rat not sensed this danger, the miner would have been killed instantly. In another instance, a rat "warned" a clergyman to leave his home just before it went up in flames. The rat went directly to the sleeping man and bit his cheek to awaken him to the smell of fire.

"There is a lovely story of a cowboy who was going blind. His fear that he would no longer be able to ride the range devastated him. Thanks to his faithful companion, a horse named Shotgun, he now continues his work, although blind, with Shotgun more attuned to him than ever before.

"Animal Angels also provides numerous examples of animals defending and caring for others not of their species, even those who are natural enemies. Laland tells of a tale when two robins saved the life of a young rabbit.

" When a dog noticed his companion (another dog) very ill and dying, he accompanied him outside in a terrible rainstorm and waited out the night with him. The dog who stayed with his friend was ill himself but never gave a thought to his own well being.

"There are the usual stories of animals saving their owners' lives but it is always heart-warming to read them. One family owned a small Staffordshire Bull Terrier. who, without hesitation, died saving the life of his owner when four armed strangers attacked her. There are poignant quotes throughout the book, from among others, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Gilda Radner and Walt Whitman. A quote by Dostoevski states that "compassion is the highest form of human existence." What a wonderful virtue that animals already possess this gift.
"Animal Angels is a book which should be in every household to be read and re-read. It is a book to be shared with those who can learn the message which our animal friends are trying to impart to us. I think Tippi Hedren masterfully sums up this book by calling it "a lovely tribute to all creatures great and small." "

Indeed, there are true tales of Dolphins and Sea Turtles carrying sailors lost at sea for hundreds of miles, to land. There is a good story about a baby falling overboard, and a dolphin kept pushing the child to the surface in order to breathe. There is one where wolves lay with and cover a lost hiker during the winter so he wouldn't freeze to death.

I had a Black Lab/Shepard dog that jumped our yard fence and grabbed my 18 month old son by the back of his diaper, and pulled him out of the street just as a car came speeding by.

v/r

Joshua

As near as I can figure, the emrods were hemhorroids (sp) because the got them in their "secret parts".

Why? Who told you, come on, who was it! Have my kids been posting again? ... And stop laughing, all of you, it's no laughing matter, believe me! ;)

Thomas

No, No!:eek: I thought maybe you would know in a scholarly (sp) way.:)

Hi Chris –

That's a complex question, but as I see it:

If we take the 'personal' out, in so doing we remove the idea of freedom, choice, self-determination ... are we not left with a Kosmos that governed by cause and effect, by mathematics?

Again, we should really discuss what we mean by 'person' - do we mean something with two arms, two legs, a head and a torso? Or do we mean a self-reflective mode of consciousness, a mode of consciousness that knows that it knows? Something that is aware of itself as "I"?

Descartes said "I think, therefore I am."
Ricoeur said "I am, and I am a being that thinks" which is different, in this case thinking is an activity of the being, but does not define it absolutely – 'thinking' is an energia of the Thomist esse (is-ness) of a thing, but it is not the essence of the thing, thinking is what the thing does, it's not what the thing is.

Aristotle and Aqinas agreed - "there is nothing in the intellect that was not first in the senses" and certainly therefore, as we advance in wisdom and insight and knowing, there is a necessity to de-anthropomorphise, to distinguish between what might be an intimation of the Other and what is simply an echo or reflection of ourselves, – and thus 'accidental', 'contingent' and 'relative' qualities are imputed to the Deity (as 'jealous' etc.,) ... "when I was a child, I thought as a child..." as St Paul said.

... but do we then posit that esse, iss-ness - an is-ness which knows and says "I", albeit limited in humanity, is limited to humanity?

Thomas

Back