Christian Law

I agree. But what I'm trying to get at in this thread is...when do we call 'ego,' and when do we call God's love? I see argument after argument in which whenever someone disagrees with another's interpretation of a certain thing in scripture, the "ego" accusation comes out.

It's interesting to me that Christian discussion (or so it seems) is the most contentious.

When you and I read the Bible, G-d gives us light via the Holy Spirit. Being "earthen vessels", we may interpret it differently.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left." Isaiah 30:21

G-d won't let us go wrong.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." Isaiah 26:3

Do we need to reach concensus?

If we are each doing what G-d wants and tells us to do, are we not in agreement?:)
[/FONT]

It's interesting to me that Christian discussion (or so it seems) is the most contentious.

When you and I read the Bible, G-d gives us light via the Holy Spirit. Being "earthen vessels", we may interpret it differently.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left." Isaiah 30:21

G-d won't let us go wrong.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." Isaiah 26:3

Do we need to reach concensus?

If we are each doing what G-d wants and tells us to do, are we not in agreement?:)
[/FONT]

Very good Mark. :)

Is your take on it then that God's Law is simply Love?

Very good Mark. :)

Is your take on it then that God's Law is simply Love?

Pretty much, yeah. I think His commandments show that. He demonstrates it in human form (thru Jesus).

I'm cautious of over-simplifying but...

"Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me. But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

Don't get me wrong...We should do exactly as He tells us. It's just that I can't think of any example in His word that is not based in love.

Can you?

Don't get me wrong...We should do exactly as He tells us. It's just that I can't think of any example in His word that is not based in love.

Can you?

The example is His Word, Jesus. And in Him I can see only love. In the Bible? I see people responding to God and doing the best they can...but not infallibly so. Is there wisdom there? Sure, lots of it, and it behooves us to pay attention. But always in the Spirit because the letter kills.

The example is His Word, Jesus. And in Him I can see only love. In the Bible? I see people responding to God and doing the best they can...but not infallibly so. Is there wisdom there? Sure, lots of it, and it behooves us to pay attention. But always in the Spirit because the letter kills.

"Looking to the Author and Finisher of our faith", etc.

Yes...studying the painting of G-d in the Bible while hearing the commentary of the Spirit and the "Living Word" and obeying His commandments.

"Looking to the Author and Finisher of our faith", etc.

Yes...studying the painting of G-d in the Bible while hearing the commentary of the Spirit and the "Living Word" and obeying His commandments.

Alright then. Back to the OP.

What are the Christian Laws that we must obey?

Is it God's law that someone who is gay can't have a committed and sexual relationship with a person of the same gender?

In our society we legally do lots of things that go against the five things you list above...is that good? In most cases probably not. Is it against God's law? To the best of my discernment, only when done against the Spirit of Love.

There are lots of ways of understanding the passages in the Bible regarding homosexual relations. Some of them are much more compassionate than others.
Show me anywhere in the Bible where it says someone who is gay can have a committed and sexual relationship with a person of the same gender.

Show me anywhere in the Bible where it says someone who is gay can have a committed and sexual relationship with a person of the same gender.

But Dor, there are lots of things NOT in the Bible...birth control for example.

What, if any, are the Christian Laws/Commandments that all Christians are obligated to follow?

Also, please explain the basis for any laws you list. Thank you.
I tend to read that any Law is a matter of Love, Faith, and Truth... in Matthew 23:23... both with God and with people.

On the lack of law or elimination of law, I tend to find a study of the word iniquity is important, which includes many verses. Jesus said a lot for law through the word iniquity. Where there is an agreement, there is law and where there is no law there is iniquity. Where there is an alleged law written and defended without the joint willfull agreement, I see oppression and iniquity. Where there is a government claiming that a law is broken against the people of an entire state without a hand from each member of that state, I see injustice. Where there is a person locked up with diminished communication and thought, I see apathy and hatred. While I am a fan of law, I think its implementation everywhere is suspect, but that there is a higher court so that a person should have no worries.

Is it God's law that someone who is gay can't have a committed and sexual relationship with a person of the same gender?

In our society we legally do lots of things that go against the five things you list above...is that good? In most cases probably not. Is it against God's law? To the best of my discernment, only when done against the Spirit of Love.

There are lots of ways of understanding the passages in the Bible regarding homosexual relations. Some of them are much more compassionate than others.

Can a person have a committed and sexual relationship with an adulteress?

If you are not willing to agree that homosexual behavior is wrong, as clearly the bible states, why not go further and say that adultery is not wrong, for some people are attracted to persons who are already married? Or how about beastiality? I read in the news recently that a man paid a dowery to marry a goat! And anothet where a woman married a dolphin! Should we allow this? Or how about NAMBLA? Don't they have rights?

I understand that some people are bent toward homosexuality, but that's only because all of nature is in a fallen state, lest we forget, so just like son's of alchoholics are genetically prone to alcoholism, there maybe a genetic reason for people to apparently be born gay. But this is a genetic defect, not the norm tha God planned.

We have to look at God's intentions for us. God's Word is designed so that our minds will be renewed (Romans 12:1-2). God's Spirit transforms our hearts. If we believe that we ought to go our own way, then we are not aligning ourselves to God's perfect plan. We instead are doing what is right in our own eyes, which the bible says leads to the ways of death (Proverbs 14:12). God wants us to see blessing, but if we insist on going our own way, how can He bless us?

The grace of God is there to forgive the most vilest sinner. But grace is also there in order for us to be conformed in the image of Christ, the image of God. We woun't get their by kicking against the goads, no matter how right we think we are.

I think we're all letting ourselves off way too lightly ...

Read Matthew 5 – The Sermon on the Mount and the Beatitudes ...

"Do not think that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets. I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For amen I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot, or one tittle shall not pass of the law, till all be fulfilled. For I tell you, that unless your justice abound more than that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 5:17-20

Remember His ruling on divorce, although the Law allows divorce, Christ forbade it ... as well as pointing out that just by looking one can commit adultery ... owning 2 shirts is out ... getting angry is out ... turn the other cheek is in ... strike off the hand/put out the eye that causes thee to offend ... do more and ask for less ...

"Then shall the king say to them that shall be on his right hand: Come, ye blessed of my Father, possess you the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat: I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in: Naked, and you covered me: sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me."
25:34-26

Personally I think Christian Law is the toughest of the lot – whilst there is one person hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or sick, or naked, or dying – then the son of man has no place to lay his head.

Try negotiating with Jesus. You'll find it's all on His terms, or not at all.

Thomas

Because in principle, it's viewed as wrong for several reasons:

1) It goes against the natural order of procreation. (Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve)
2) It is condemned by God in the OT and NT.
3) It thwarts God's command to be fruitful and multiply.
4) It goes against the order of marriage by God (A man shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife, and the two will become one flesh).
5) Mechanically, the plumbing is all wrong.

Dondi,

Clever, but the logic doesn't hold up

1. Appeal to nature is a logical fallacy, clever slogans do not equal truth
2. The writers of the Bible did indeed mention this but there is contention even among Christians that this is the inerrant word of God.
3. Look around the planet has over 6billion of us, I think this mission has indeed been accomplished!
4.See #2
5. Define Wrong in such a way to logically prove your contention.

Peace
Mark

Hi Dondi,

Before I address the rest of your posts I'd just like to say that while we obviously come down on diffrent sides of the fence on the topic of homosexuality, I think it's important to remember that in many other things...in most...we have quite similar beliefs. You have touched my heart many many times with your beautiful posts and love of Jesus, love of God, and I don't want us to lose sight of that.

Can a person have a committed and sexual relationship with an adulteress?
Well, they can but I would say that it would not be a healthy situation for anyone involved. I think the ten commandments represent wisdom from God, and they are given to us for the purpose of us loving God and each other. I said in an earlier post that many of the commandments are at heart about love and not taking what does not belong to us. So, in adultery, we are indeed taking what does not belong to us.

I think divorce is a sad situation and I think Jesus told us not to divorce for good reason. But we also know that sometimes divorce is best for the safety and health of one or more persons involved. As in everything, we are invited by Jesus to make choices in compassion and empathy and love, and not discard people carelessly.

If you are not willing to agree that homosexual behavior is wrong, as clearly the bible states, why not go further and say that adultery is not wrong, for some people are attracted to persons who are already married? Or how about beastiality? I read in the news recently that a man paid a dowery to marry a goat! And anothet where a woman married a dolphin! Should we allow this? Or how about NAMBLA? Don't they have rights?
This is the slippery slope argument, and it holds about as much weight as saying that we should never have invented the wheel because now it's lead to global warming. All of the situations you describe above are against the commandment of love and they take what does not belong to us, they are not mutually consentable (animals and chldren can't give consent and others can't give consent on their behalf).

I understand that some people are bent toward homosexuality, but that's only because all of nature is in a fallen state, lest we forget, so just like son's of alchoholics are genetically prone to alcoholism, there maybe a genetic reason for people to apparently be born gay. But this is a genetic defect, not the norm tha God planned.
I actually can agree with this to some extent Dondi. All of us live in a fallen world and we all have to live with disorders in our lives and the lives of others. All I'm asking is that we relate to people with empathy and compassion, rather than judgment and condemnation. In some cases, like addictions, the self-destruction and harm to others merits intervention. If anyone is molesting children or hurting others, it merits intervention. Of course we need to stop predators and keep people safe. However, gluttony has also been considered a sin, yet we recognize that some forms of obesity are beyond control for genetic or psychological reasons. I don't believe we would ever tell overweight people that they are living in sin and tell them they are going to hell for being obese, or try to pass laws that limit eating. We have compassion for others, even if we do wish to see them change, and we don't give them the constant message that God hates them.

We have to look at God's intentions for us. God's Word is designed so that our minds will be renewed (Romans 12:1-2). God's Spirit transforms our hearts. If we believe that we ought to go our own way, then we are not aligning ourselves to God's perfect plan. We instead are doing what is right in our own eyes, which the bible says leads to the ways of death (Proverbs 14:12). God wants us to see blessing, but if we insist on going our own way, how can He bless us?
I agree with you here too. I'm sure Jesus was serious was telling us something important when he said "Repent! The Kingdom of Heaven is near!" Repent does mean to change our ways. To my best discernment though, homosexuality is no different than heterosexuality as a human behaviour. There are expressions of each that are destructive, and there are expressions of each that build up.

The grace of God is there to forgive the most vilest sinner. But grace is also there in order for us to be conformed in the image of Christ, the image of God. We woun't get their by kicking against the goads, no matter how right we think we are.

I know Dondi, and I pray that that is not what I am doing here. Before me is the knowledge that we have gotten past slavery, which is more or less condoned by the Bible, we've largely moved past anti-Semitism, which is easly justified in the NT, and we're moving past the subjugation of women, which is less clearly justified in some NT passages. Of all of these, discrimination against gays is the least well-supported Biblically, even if it has wide popular support. If I'm going to be wrong, I'd rather be wrong on the side of compassion.

That's really all I have to say on this subject, so you are welcome to the last word on this if you wish.

Peace,
luna

Are we of consensus then? The only Law is the Greatest Commandment (Love), and the ten commandments are to inform our hearts in the Law?

"Do not think that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets. I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For amen I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot, or one tittle shall not pass of the law, till all be fulfilled. For I tell you, that unless your justice abound more than that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."

I completely agree.

Personally I think Christian Law is the toughest of the lot – whilst there is one person hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or sick, or naked, or dying
or unloved...
– then the son of man has no place to lay his head.

Thomas
And He was able to say and believe this all in the spirit of love.

Hi Thomas, Excellent post and I'm glad that someone has brought this up here. Love is not just warm fuzzy feelings or attraction or desire, in fact I don't mean those things or the emotion at all when I refer to Love. In Paul's first Corinthians that we all know so well we see the beauty of love in it's passive form. But in your quote's from Matthew below, and in Isaiah and James 1:27 we hear the voice of active Love:

1 James 27 said:
27Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Isaiah 58 said:
1 "Shout it aloud, do not hold back.
Raise your voice like a trumpet.
Declare to my people their rebellion
and to the house of Jacob their sins.

2 For day after day they seek me out;
they seem eager to know my ways,
as if they were a nation that does what is right
and has not forsaken the commands of its God.
They ask me for just decisions
and seem eager for God to come near them.

3 'Why have we fasted,' they say,
'and you have not seen it?
Why have we humbled ourselves,
and you have not noticed?'
"Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please
and exploit all your workers.

4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife,
and in striking each other with wicked fists.
You cannot fast as you do today
and expect your voice to be heard on high.

5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
only a day for people to humble themselves?
Is it only for bowing one's head like a reed
and for lying in sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
a day acceptable to the LORD?

6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness [a] will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
"If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,

10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

11 The LORD will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.

12 Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins
and will raise up the age-old foundations;
you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls,
Restorer of Streets with Dwellings.

13 "If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
and the LORD's holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,

14 then you will find your joy in the LORD,
and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land
and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob."
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

I think we're all letting ourselves off way too lightly ...

Read Matthew 5 – The Sermon on the Mount and the Beatitudes ...

Remember His ruling on divorce, although the Law allows divorce, Christ forbade it ... as well as pointing out that just by looking one can commit adultery ... owning 2 shirts is out ... getting angry is out ... turn the other cheek is in ... strike off the hand/put out the eye that causes thee to offend ... do more and ask for less ...

"Then shall the king say to them that shall be on his right hand: Come, ye blessed of my Father, possess you the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat: I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in: Naked, and you covered me: sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me."
25:34-26

Personally I think Christian Law is the toughest of the lot – whilst there is one person hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or sick, or naked, or dying – then the son of man has no place to lay his head.

Thomas

I agree.

luna

Back