Star Trek Thread

I do remember being at my friends house while Kirk and zulu were walking on some strange planet and they accidently bumped the cardboard cutout of a plant or rock and it shifted... and then another with furbies flying all over.. my laughter and comments got me kicked out of that club rather quickly...

so I found girls...
Ahem...the girls I found, turned out to be trekkies. :D

I liked the one where Gary became a god and could melt people with his gaze (ala) "They didn't like me. They never like me!"
Yeah, I remember that one, as much because Kim Darby played the love interest for Kirk. Well, she was supposed to be too young, so I guess it was a potential love interest.

Anybody ever hear of Angelique Pettyjohn? I've looked for her to turn up in anything else out of Hollywood and never did see her in anything else. HOTT!!! She was the love interest in Gamesters of Triscalion (sp).

But the all time best episode had to be the Trouble with Tribbles, screenplay by David Gerrard (sp), who wrote "When Harlie was One" and "The GOD Machine" when artificial intelligence was still but a dream...

Ahhh, don't you just love lifes little ironies?:D
(no, that's not a device used to take creases out of clothes:) )
I just gotta watch what I say, so I don't end up ducking for cover when one of those little ironies gets thrown across the room in my direction! :D ;)

Two particularly funny Trek spoofs, or skits, were both from the early Saturday Night Live days. One is probably more recent, from a show with William Shatner hosting. He tells the Trekkies to "get a life," and even as an avid Trek fan, I had to laugh.

The funniest skit I've ever seen, was the SNL one with Akroyd, Murray, Chevy Chase, Jon Belushi and the gang. It's about the cancellation of ST original series, and Belushi keeps the act up even as they come in and tear the whole stage down around him ...

My own fav used to be original series, then it gave way to Next Gen, and finally I've embraced Voyager - after watching the entire set in sequence (it was my fav, first time around, in the mid 90s). Never could get into Deep, uh, Space, nine ... and I honestly tried to watch Enterprise, but just had to give that one up despite T'pol/Blalock's silicon ... :p

The movies are good, and I watched about the first 6 in sequence recently, so I just got 4 more to go!

Btw, I loved Scott Dracula in Quantum Leap, but as Archer ... ughhhh ....

~andrew

Well, I just have to tell you guys what has happened (especially those who migrated here from the movie thread).

I just caught an episode of Next Gen called "The Devil's Due". For those who haven't seen it, here's the official info from T.V. Guide:

"The Enterprise comes to the aid of the Ventaxians, who are faced with the prospect of fulfilling a diabolical contract made by their ancestors...."

Flow, brace yourself: Apparently, Ardra (the Satan figure) tempts my dear Picard by transforming herself into Counselor Troi and offering her, um, services. Of course, Jean Luc is not fooled by the con game, nor does he succumb to the temptress. But what does it imply that Ardra chooses to impersonate Deanna instead of Beverly? Humm? I knew it--I just knew it. ;) :D

I love Data--in this episode, not only does he attempt method acting (he plays Scrooge) to hopefully help him get a grip on humanity, but he ejudicates the litigation between Picard and Ardra. :cool:

I give this one three thumbs up. :D

InPeace,
InLove

I loved Next gen.. I loved voyager.. I watched the original but William Shatner was always yucky to me. Dont tell him that he might have a stroke.

and I honestly tried to watch Enterprise, but just had to give that one up despite T'pol/Blalock's silicon ... :p

Btw, I loved Scott Dracula in Quantum Leap, but as Archer ... ughhhh ....

~andrew
Yeah, have to agree with those comments- if you ever bother to read interviews with Blalock (they did this recently in a magazine I read) it's quite sad watching her go from realy excited and positive about being in star trek to, by the end, relieveed it's all over because of the poor quality of it all...

I always wondered why non of the aliens were black people. I saw one episode on a planet with nothing but black people on TNG (the next generation). that was it. Of course commander worf is balck, but most of the aliens were white. lol....Still like all of the treks though. My favorite character was Q on TNG.
:D

I always wondered why non of the aliens were black people. I saw one episode on a planet with nothing but black people on TNG (the next generation). that was it. Of course commander worf is balck, but most of the aliens were white. lol
Aw, now Yo,

What of Whoopie Goldberg?

Wasn't there an episode in the original with one character with a white and black face, and one character with a black and white face, and they were fighting each other to the death?

But the ultimate that points to how far ahead of it's time Star Trek really was, considering the state of politics and such at the time in the "real world," but Lt. Uhura was not only a bridge officer, but black and female, and in real life I hear she was a part time paramour to Roddenberry himself!

There were other black characters in the original as well, although in fairness it has been many years and I recall them only vaguely. I am only familiar to any extent with the original and NG and the movies, I can't speak of later efforts after Roddenberry died. But for its day and time, Star Trek was quite ecumenical and racially diverse...deliberately so.

In short, there is enough discrimination in the real world. If we must point finger and find fault, let us at least do so with honesty. Do not falsely accuse those who made a sincere effort to not discriminate.

For Pete's sake...they had a pointed eared green skinned man as second in command! How much more non-discriminatory can you get?

Thank you, juan--YO, I was going to point some of this out as well, but I am glad a real trekkie (or trekker, if you prefer) came to the rescue. ;) :D

InPeace,
InLove,
Counselor Deb

Aw, now Yo, '

What of Whoopie Goldberg?
She is so cool. I like her character. My favorite character is Q.

Wasn't there an episode in the original with one character with a white and black face, and one character with a black and white face, and they were fighting each other to the death?

I remember that episode. It was one of my favorites. I can not remember if it was the right side or the left side that was supposed to "right" side and who were the "savages" and who was not.

But the ultimate that points to how far ahead of it's time Star Trek really was, considering the state of politics and such at the time in the "real world," but Lt. Uhura was not only a bridge officer, but black and female, and in real life I hear she was a part time paramour to Roddenberry himself!

Wow, did not know she was privalaged to be "subservient" to him.
Thanks for enlighten me. :mad:

Anyway, Like I said, I really liked all of the star Treks...:)

There were other black characters in the original as well, although in fairness it has been many years and I recall them only vaguely. I am only familiar to any extent with the original and NG and the movies, I can't speak of later efforts after Roddenberry died. But for its day and time, Star Trek was quite ecumenical and racially diverse...deliberately so.

Yep, That can be said. I watched it as a child and liked it.

In short, there is enough discrimination in the real world. If we must point finger and find fault, let us at least do so with honesty. Do not falsely accuse those who made a sincere effort to not discriminate.

No False accuzations here. I just made a comment about the content of the show. I never said Rodenberry was racists or not. Please my friend, do not put words in mouth and from now on, do not take my comments as anything other than comments. You know I have noticed that you are awfully sensitve about racial issues, could their be something about you that u need to tell us?

For Pete's sake...they had a pointed eared green skinned man as second in command! How much more non-discriminatory can you get?

With Anglo Saxon Features.

One more thing, If you ever approach with that tone again, you will understand fully what kind of language black people were forced to learn in country
:mad:

YO--

My friend, I didn't mean to insult you. You have just got to know that by now. And I don't think juantoo3 did either.

Have you read Nichelle's story--do you know how she felt about it all?

Please don't get upset. I love you!

InPeace,
InLove

YO--

My friend, I didn't mean to insult you. You have just got to know that by now. And I don't think juantoo3 did either.

Have you read Nichelle's story--do you know how she felt about it all?

Please don't get upset. I love you!

InPeace,
InLove

:cool:

"Crash" ;)

(It's been a tough day in CR--maybe even a tough week, huh?)

InPeace,
InLove:)

With Anglo Saxon Features.

One more thing, If you ever approach with that tone again, you will understand fully what kind of language black people were forced to learn in country:mad:
Emphasis reduced, by me. I don't believe anyone meant to offend and as far as I am aware, at that time Hollywood was pretty lilly white. They were equal offenders, wasn't too long after the civil rights movement and integration really hadn't even started to occur in many circles. Anyone remember the Indians/Native Americans in our westerns or comedies?

We are none of us more than a generation or two from that age and truth be known a lot of what we say that offends we don't even know that it offends until we are told so. Would be quite worth it in my book to clear the air and discuss in another thread the latent issues that still haunt folks today, as it affect our lives today and that of our children...the reason I am here...on this site is to raise my awareness and consciousness.

Emphasis reduced, by me. I don't believe anyone meant to offend and as far as I am aware, at that time Hollywood was pretty lilly white. They were equal offenders, wasn't too long after the civil rights movement and integration really hadn't even started to occur in many circles. Anyone remember the Indians/Native Americans in our westerns or comedies?

We are none of us more than a generation or two from that age and truth be known a lot of what we say that offends we don't even know that it offends until we are told so. Would be quite worth it in my book to clear the air and discuss in another thread the latent issues that still haunt folks today, as it affect our lives today and that of our children...the reason I am here...on this site is to raise my awareness and consciousness.

Will, thanks for the input.
I am not upset at white people in particular, I just did not like the tone that of his comment is all. Im ok now.

YO-11
:)

Back