Wrath of God pt 2 (What's your god like?)

It's the rest of us that really have difficulties stomaching mothers' milk...meat being our staple for years and even decades.

Not many wish to go back to the beginning...

I kinda like it here @ the beginning, lol! Everything is light and pleasant, which is at great odds with where I was before I became new in christ. Don't tell me it gets harder from here; I had enough trouble coming to find my way to this place.

Milk...It does the body good! :p

note: perhaps we should have a "Christianity 101".
So I just found the thread that initiated the need? I've just read thru these SIX pages, I was only gone for the WEEKEND...what have you all been upto??

Uh oh, I feel a heretical statement coming on...."Now I know how G-d felt when he came back to the garden..."
You guys have taken away the crux of Jesus' teaching and replaced with an almost cultish santa clause type figure.
Funny, that is what I hear from many fundies as their view of G-d...Some old big old larger than life white man in a robe keeping track of who is going to heaven and who is going to hell. All a matter of perspective I suppose.
remember that MAN added chapters and verses..
Heaven forbid...again...this is what the liberals say...that the bible is not the inerrant word of G-d, it has been manipulated by MAN. Is there a Bible out there that does not have the mistranslations and interpretations...is there one without the chapters and verses added by MAN? FS can you point me to, or provide a list of which verses you believe have been added?

I find the reading of this thread quite interesting. Like boxers in a ring looking for the knockout punch...each wrath and vengence quote from one side is countered with a love and forgiveness quote from the other...each not taking time to be impacted by the previous blow but to just deliver one of their own.

For my answer to the OP....for those who have read this far...(tis wellknown that many see my name and only see love, blah, forgiveness, blah, tolerance, blah blah blah...) Anywho, I believe the wrathful G-d was made by man to explain away circumstances of life that couldn't be explained away, and as a form of government no one could argue with...ie you commit evil, you sin and break the law and your punishment will be forever, beyond even death....that type of thinking was needed when folks lived in conditions whereby they saw death as something that would relieve them of the horrors of life.

But buried in those texts is also an essence of truth...

The question here that needs to be addressed in my book is how does the 'fundie' answer to Luna's quoted scriptures...and not simply counterpunch.

And how do the 'liberals' interpret the hate and vengence quotes. Now some of this has been done on other threads...but our interpratations vary.

You guys have had a busy weekend...oh and I spent mine with a bunch of Liberals studying love and forgiveness...all Sunday School teachers getting prepared for another year of teaching our children about the glory of G-d and Jesus...the loving caring G-d and Jesus...

So I just found the thread that initiated the need? I've just read thru these SIX pages, I was only gone for the WEEKEND...what have you all been upto??

Uh oh, I feel a heretical statement coming on...."Now I know how G-d felt when he came back to the garden..." Funny, that is what I hear from many fundies as their view of G-d...Some old big old larger than life white man in a robe keeping track of who is going to heaven and who is going to hell. All a matter of perspective I suppose. Heaven forbid...again...this is what the liberals say...that the bible is not the inerrant word of G-d, it has been manipulated by MAN. Is there a Bible out there that does not have the mistranslations and interpretations...is there one without the chapters and verses added by MAN? FS can you point me to, or provide a list of which verses you believe have been added?

I find the reading of this thread quite interesting. Like boxers in a ring looking for the knockout punch...each wrath and vengence quote from one side is countered with a love and forgiveness quote from the other...each not taking time to be impacted by the previous blow but to just deliver one of their own.

For my answer to the OP....for those who have read this far...(tis wellknown that many see my name and only see love, blah, forgiveness, blah, tolerance, blah blah blah...) Anywho, I believe the wrathful G-d was made by man to explain away circumstances of life that couldn't be explained away, and as a form of government no one could argue with...ie you commit evil, you sin and break the law and your punishment will be forever, beyond even death....that type of thinking was needed when folks lived in conditions whereby they saw death as something that would relieve them of the horrors of life.

The question here that needs to be addressed in my book is how does the 'fundie' answer to Luna's quoted scriptures...and not simply counterpunch.

And how do the 'liberals' interpret the hate and vengence quotes. Now some of this has been done on other threads...but our interpratations vary.

You guys have had a busy weekend...oh and I spent mine with a bunch of Liberals studying love and forgiveness...all Sunday School teachers getting prepared for another year of teaching our children about the glory of G-d and Jesus...the loving caring G-d and Jesus...
Have fun there Wil I will stick with my God and Jesus the one from the Bible.

Funny, I was just thinking how I would love to find a church like his.

Luna,

PLEASE dont feel bad about explaining what you believe. I find it good that we can discuss these things. Does not the Bible say to "let us reason?" We are not mad that you are explaining your beliefs, we only ask that you explain from scripture why you believe what you believe. So far, you havent proved from scripture that all will go to Heaven.

Later,

Silas

Hi Silas,

Don't worry, I don't feel bad in any way, but I take it seriously to heart when someone suggests I'm throwing stumbling blocks. Not that that can be avoided...we all do that all the time. But when some tells me that what I say is causing problems for others I wish to proceed with great consideration. I am not ashamed of my beliefs, but just as Paul taught, even when we know that it's OK to eat meat sacrificed to idols, if the eating of that meat causes others problems it is better to refrain. God cares about the way we relate to others.

You say, "Let us reason together," and we could stay in dialogue and do that if that were your approach. But you ask me to support my views with Scripture, then you berate me for it...it's a mug's game. My faith is not based upon Scripture alone, but on Scripture, Tradition and Reason, all these three gifts from God to draw us closer to Him and to each other.

By Scipture alone and the logic I've seen used here to dismiss the idea of universal salvation (the passage about the unforgivable sin), you could never accept the doctrine of the Trinity (God is one), and we could never have Biblical proof that Christ was the Messiah (ask Bananabrain). It's not my bag to do theology, but I know other faithful and intelligent theologians have also seen universal salvation as a theme of the Bible. They are no less qualified to express doctrine than Martin Luther, who relied upon his own reason (and also Tradition) when he elucidated the doctrine of sola fide, and they are no less inspired than Calvin when he elaborated on Augustine's doctrine of predetermination. Karl Barth, a conservative theologian, turned predetermination on it's head when he reasoned that it was Jesus who was predetermined to die--for all.

Faith alone is sufficient, sure, but you seem to want to put a lot of special qualifications on that faith, and I don't buy it. I think it is a distortion of Scripture and not reflective of the good news related by the first follwers of Christ in the Gospels. We also each have our experience of knowing God, as those early Christians did, experience you also belittle and dismiss. What good is having the Bible if we are not to let it be living to us, a place of access for Christ to each of us? Protestants did not like Rome telling them how to interpret scripture, yet now you turn right around and tell everyone else the only true way to interpret scripture. Ironic, no?

The 'salvation' you preach is not good news--and your own uneasiness with this is evident in your judgement of others because in effect you are judging yourself and God, and it a harsh judgement, not the easy yoke and light burden of Jesus.

You are starting to convince me of one thing though--perhaps you are right that fear is the only way to get the attention of some. By your testimony it is the only way Christ could reach you. But fear and hate seem like a terrible way of approaching our life with God and each other. I could not do it. And undermining the faith of others who approach Christ in innocence and love, like children, seems contrary to the Jesus I've met in the Bible, and in my heart.

We become what we worship. What is the character of your God?

Hi Silas,

Don't worry, I don't feel bad in any way, but I take it seriously to heart when someone suggests I'm throwing stumbling blocks. Not that that can be avoided...we all do that all the time. But when some tells me that what I say is causing problems for others I wish to proceed with great consideration. I am not ashamed of my beliefs, but just as Paul taught, even when we know that it's OK to eat meat sacrificed to idols, if the eating of that meat causes others problems it is better to refrain. God cares about the way we relate to others.

You say, "Let us reason together," and we could stay in dialogue and do that if that were your approach. But you ask me to support my views with Scripture, then you berate me for it...it's a mug's game. My faith is not based upon Scripture alone, but on Scripture, Tradition and Reason, all these three gifts from God to draw us closer to Him and to each other.

By Scipture alone and the logic I've seen used here to dismiss the idea of universal salvation (the passage about the unforgivable sin), you could never accept the doctrine of the Trinity (God is one), and we could never have Biblical proof that Christ was the Messiah (ask Bananabrain). It's not my bag to do theology, but I know other faithful and intelligent theologians have also seen universal salvation as a theme of the Bible. They are no less qualified to express doctrine than Martin Luther, who relied upon his own reason (and also Tradition) when he elucidated the doctrine of sola fide, and they are no less inspired than Calvin when he elaborated on Augustine's doctrine of predetermination. Karl Barth, a conservative theologian, turned predetermination on it's head when he reasoned that it was Jesus who was predetermined to die--for all.

Faith alone is sufficient, sure, but you seem to want to put a lot of special qualifications on that faith, and I don't buy it. I think it is a distortion of Scripture and not reflective of the good news related by the first follwers of Christ in the Gospels. We also each have our experience of knowing God, as those early Christians did, experience you also belittle and dismiss. What good is having the Bible if we are not to let it be living to us, a place of access for Christ to each of us? Protestants did not like Rome telling them how to interpret scripture, yet now you turn right around and tell everyone else the only true way to interpret scripture. Ironic, no?

The 'salvation' you preach is not good news--and your own uneasiness with this is evident in your judgement of others because in effect you are judging yourself and God, and it a harsh judgement, not the easy yoke and light burden of Jesus.

You are starting to convince me of one thing though--perhaps you are right that fear is the only way to get the attention of some. By your testimony it is the only way Christ could reach you. But fear and hate seem like a terrible way of approaching our life with God and each other. I could not do it. And undermining the faith of others who approach Christ in innocence and love, like children, seems contrary to the Jesus I've met in the Bible, and in my heart.

We become what we worship. What is the character of your God?

Hey, I just wanted you to know that I read what you said. I actually wrote a really long responce, but I feel it wasnt right, so I earsed it. For now, just know that I read what you said and dont agree with a lot of it. The two main things I disagree with is:

1. I believe your understanding of God and His nature (who He is, what He wants, etc) should come from Scripture alone.

2. Sound doctrine and biblical love arent exculsive, but 2 sides of the same coin. If you want to love as God, you should know God as He is revealed in scripture, not what you precieve him to be. In essence, dont trust your heart, but the scriptures alone.

Hey, I just wanted you to know that I read what you said. I actually wrote a really long responce, but I feel it wasnt right, so I earsed it. For now, just know that I read what you said and dont agree with a lot of it. The two main things I disagree with is:

1. I believe your understanding of God and His nature (who He is, what He wants, etc) should come from Scripture alone.

2. Sound doctrine and biblical love arent exculsive, but 2 sides of the same coin. If you want to love as God, you should know God as He is revealed in scripture, not what you precieve him to be. In essence, dont trust your heart, but the scriptures alone.

Duly noted.

luna

Uh oh, I feel a heretical statement coming on...."Now I know how G-d felt when he came back to the garden..." Funny, that is what I hear from many fundies as their view of G-d...Some old big old larger than life white man in a robe keeping track of who is going to heaven and who is going to hell. All a matter of perspective I suppose. Heaven forbid...again...this is what the liberals say...that the bible is not the inerrant word of G-d, it has been manipulated by MAN. Is there a Bible out there that does not have the mistranslations and interpretations...is there one without the chapters and verses added by MAN? FS can you point me to, or provide a list of which verses you believe have been added?

*yawn* Im waiting for something new.. next time try to be a little creative and try not to parrot others. Geez its almost word for word every single time... . I wonder if you can get in trouble for plagarizing heretical propaganda.

*yawn* Im waiting for something new.. next time try to be a little creative and try not to parrot others. Geez its almost word for word every single time... . I wonder if you can get in trouble for plagarizing heretical propaganda.

Sorry, but that was hallarious!! :D

quite interesting... I challenge you to find any location on this forum or any other where I have cut and pasted or even rewritten thought in this post you quoted.

Who exactly am I parroting or plagarizing? I'd be willing to offer credit where credit is due.

Frankly I'm surprised you've decided to make warrantless unsubstantiated statements and run...it isn't like you...and I'm sure I'm wrong and you'll point out all the comparisons in my post. It was all true...I was gone, I read this thread after I read the one that I now see you've decided Q is upto some sort of trickery...all of it is frankly confusing to me. I pray you'll feel better in the morning.

quite interesting... I challenge you to find any location on this forum or any other where I have cut and pasted or even rewritten thought in this post you quoted.

Who exactly am I parroting or plagarizing? I'd be willing to offer credit where credit is due.

Frankly I'm surprised you've decided to make warrantless unsubstantiated statements and run...it isn't like you...and I'm sure I'm wrong and you'll point out all the comparisons in my post. It was all true...I was gone, I read this thread after I read the one that I now see you've decided Q is upto some sort of trickery...all of it is frankly confusing to me. I pray you'll feel better in the morning.

Wow that went way over your head..

Wil

My daughter may be decades younger but shes a pro at twisting stuff out of context..so Im familiar with all the tactics. Im not playing this game with you or anyone else. You have been twisting everything the "fundies" are saying to make it seem like something its not... Its a very familiar tactic used by critics of Christianity as well as my 15 yo genius daughter... but I actually expected better from a grown man who posts unconditional Christ-like love and forgiveness and religious tolerance.

I've been reading through this thread with interest, heartening to many posts, disagreeing with many others! Anyway, a few words came to mind - spoken in fact by Oliver Cromwell - but repeated by the scientist J Bronowski upon his visit to the Auschwitz prison camp..................I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong.

In a very real way, this for me is the key to any understanding and any form of "growth" in the "spirit". It brings no superficial comfort, for in a sense we can never rest easy.

So I may be wrong, just as Diana Eck may be wrong. She was a woman who shared a deep fundamentalist faith with many here, who then as part of her education went to Benares in India, the holy city of the Hindu's. Her experience is documented in her book "Encountering God", and is well worth a read. She was compelled by the call of truth and the love of Christ within her own heart to acknowledge the "fruit" she saw in the lives of the Indian people whose way of worship and understanding was alien to her own. Anyway, "By their fruits shall ye know them". Did such people need to finally "bow" to a name imported from a faith other than their own? Or can grace and mercy be mediated in ways other than according to our own understanding? We each need to explore this question within the depths of our own hearts, and we need to truly "hear" the question..........prior to hearing our own answers!

My avatar is of Amida Looking Back, a statue found in one of the Shin (Pure Land) temples in Japan. Amida is shown with her hands in the mudra's of teaching and "Fear Not", yet her head is turned backwards, for her first concern is not for those with the strength and understanding to come, but for those who are not going to make it without special help. And it is for those who are "not going to make it" that I myself feel most at home with. In many ways - perhaps in every way! - I'm one of them! For me, grace is grace wherever it may be found and manifested within the hearts of individuals. It's ways are infinite and not tied to "names" and orthodoxies familiar to ourselves.

I may be wrong. And for those who disagree, so might you.

Sorry, but that was hallarious!! :D
Wow that went way over your head..
Wil

My daughter may be decades younger but shes a pro at twisting stuff out of context..so Im familiar with all the tactics. Im not playing this game with you or anyone else. You have been twisting everything the "fundies" are saying to make it seem like something its not... Its a very familiar tactic used by critics of Christianity as well as my 15 yo genius daughter... but I actually expected better from a grown man who posts unconditional Christ-like love and forgiveness and religious tolerance.
Namaste FS, this above are quotes...you refering to me as a heretical plagarist, and being redundant for believing love is the answer, then Silas piping up enjoying it all, and then you with an indication that for somehow your statement was other than I understood...and then saying I twist everything you say...

I don't think I twisted the above and I asked to understand... just as I do with all. My goal is to develop an understanding of others belief systems. With most folks we can disagree and still learn from each other. (btw, nice post Tariki) If you wish to just take pot shots at me and my thoughts and posts, so be it, but as I said before, I did think more highly of you.

My avatar is of Amida Looking Back, a statue found in one of the Shin (Pure Land) temples in Japan. Amida is shown with her hands in the mudra's of teaching and "Fear Not", yet her head is turned backwards, for her first concern is not for those with the strength and understanding to come, but for those who are not going to make it without special help. And it is for those who are "not going to make it" that I myself feel most at home with. In many ways - perhaps in every way! - I'm one of them! For me, grace is grace wherever it may be found and manifested within the hearts of individuals. It's ways are infinite and not tied to "names" and orthodoxies familiar to ourselves.

I may be wrong. And for those who disagree, so might you.

Quite beautiful Tariki. Thanks for this.

"I vow to liberate all beings, without number." "...not willing that any should perish".

Wil,
I do not speak for her but I believe what she is saying is you use same arguements about the Bible and Christianity.

Like the whole "But buried in those texts is also an essence of truth..."
and I dont know how many times Ive seen that.

And I will put in plain words what I believe she hinted at with the daughter post.
You try to play stupid and make yourself look better or injured.

Sorry but if mods have free reign now then the inmates should also.

Back