The Secret: A Cosmic Dream Machine

Thats the problem Q.
In my opinion they all need to meld it with Christianity because they all know it can not stand on its on.

Well it can't stand on it's own because there is no "guide" to speak of. Their thinking is that God is nice to have around but we hold the answers and the power within ourselves. Yes on the latter, no on the former. The truth is man can not unlock his potential without God using the "key". And God has no intention of allowing the "pandora's box" to fly open and let eveything out at once, no matter how badly man wants it. Now if man sought out God's kingdom first...so to speak then God let's out what is needed at the time for man to develop. Then He let's out a little more as time goes on.

v/r

Joshua

Andrew quote: Ah, this golden hen. I can't get her to sit for anything! :eek:

Well then you need someone like Orson Scott Card's "Arthur Stuart" character, to have the "hen" sit for you (Alvin Maker, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, series).:D

Dor said:
So Andrew are you a Morman?
Hmmmm. From a Christian frame of reference, you might say, close enough. ;)

Maybe I'm a little bit Mormon, but with definite Gnostic overtones. I'm also quite keen on what Q is saying re Druidry, or at least, the Arthurian legends. I like Path of One's posts, and also the Christian Mysticism of St. Teresa of Avila, St. Francis of Assisi, and Joan of Arc. I can't quite tune in yet to Joan's inspirations (her Voices) ... but that's what the Path of Purity is for. :)

I actually revolt, strongly even, to the notion that mankind is somehow - or in any fashion, for that matter - "greater than" God. Our equality, I maintain, comes from the fact (or so I believe) that for God, and thus for anyone so attuned, there is only ONE, and no second at all. This may seem like a copout of an answer to the problem of the One and the Many, but in essence I believe as the Buddhists believe - the world of mayavic appearances is ultimately illusion.

What this means is not that nothing, or no one, exists, but rather, as Bishop Berkeley maintained, only God does. How can any of us prove this, other than as an interesting intellectual possibility, unless we seek to discover on our own the signficance of Christ's words, "I and the Father are ONE"?

I get lost in all the Christian theology, honestly, and I know this isn't about the Trinity ... but I believe that Christ proceeds from the Father, as does the 3rd Aspect, yet all three - no matter how we seek to understand them - are ultimately the Expression(s) of the Absolute (as Nick has said, speaking as a Theosophist).

From THAT level proceeds the notion, and the fact, of a non-duality with regard to our Being, and God's Being, such that we are all Sons of the One Father ... yet one with Him, even in Essence. The difference, the distinction, can be found in the degree to which any of us - or any group of us - manifests this Inner, Essential Oneness outwardly.

This is an obvious apparent contradiction, to the mortal mind. And so the Mystics have always struggled to express even a hint of this Oneness which they have felt, or experienced, and even that struggle often takes place within the personality, after (in terms of time and space) their original mystical experience.

Are we really any less than they - just because it's 2007, the Internet is here, and we have these discussions and sharings on the Web? :) I have long considered myself, at CR and in various other Cyberspatial venues, literally in the company of Saints. A disciple, esoterically defined, may have a different meaning than the more conventional, Christian definition, often exchanged with Apostle.

So while I might not believe that everyone here is Christ's appointed Apostle - as per 2100 years ago - I do think that darn-near everyone, probably everyone, who posts at CR with any frequency, IS a disciple. I just have no problem whatsoever with the idea that various of us have different, or differing, associations ... with perhaps a dozen or more individual Masters, and to penetrate much farther into this line of inquiry gets squarely to the heart of the question about The Secret.

The Secret, to me, is that these various, other avenues, or paths to God - can be known. They can be not merely studied, or speculated upon, they can be understood intimately, personally, and claimed as one's own ... trodden, with much the same goals as those of Christians, seeking to Serve the Lord. Ultimately, all true Teachers are united, as I see it, under the umbrella of the Christ, for He is the Lord of Lords, and Master of Masters - the Teacher alike of Angels and of Men (or so it has been said).

The methods, however, for advancing spiritually - though the same inwardly - will differ from East to West, and even from one Teacher to another. The goal is for there to be cooperation between, and among, all who seek to Serve, yet there are different forms of discipline, and methods of traveling the path. I don't like the way esoteric teachings are trivialized, or efforts made to dumb them down into some supposed set of universally applicable, magical concepts.

This is where I would say that while the essence may be simple, its application is more than a little difficult. In fact, it turns out to be the hardest thing we've ever attempted - either individually, or as a planet, as a race! This is because of the familiar struggle, between the two "natures" of man. Much, if not most, of the confusion, which I see arising in discussions such as these, comes from an inadvertent blurring of the lines, or failure to speak along similar terms, when it comes to this point.

Yes, some differences may be irreconcilable. But what the Occultist comes to accept as the ABC regarding himself, the Divine (or God), Humanity and the world around him ... will either find its complement, or correlation, within the Christian framework, or else the two will ever speak (shout? argue?) with each other across an unbridgeable gulf.

Certain principles are just basic, and Nick has done an excellent job of spelling out what Theosophists believe. I am not quite a Theosophist, and I think Nick's list is a bit lengthy, so I might sum up a couple of noteworthy points here, then I promise to fade out a bit, unless there's an interest. ;)

Hermetic Axiom: `As it is above, so it is below. As it is within, so it is without.' - In short, the Divine has mirrored, or reflected Himself into Humanity. Faithful said this. And the converse is that by studying nature, and Humanity (God's Creations), we can learn something about God.

Spirit and Matter are two poles, or expressions of the same thing, not a fundamental duality, or dichotomy. Further, they meet upon every level of existence, and where they meet, Consciousness is the result. Every speck, every atom, of matter, therefore, has consciousness (as it does Spirit, however latent). These three, Spirit, Consciousness, and matter, are a Trinity (with obvious correspondences in Christianity), and they are synthesized by LIFE, which equates with GOD.

Yet, if no anthropomorphism is applied - and I would eschew such - then a certain type of hierarchy does naturally reveal itself ... simply by the inherent structure of the Universe. LAWS ultimately govern this structure, not the arbitrary whim, or desire(s), of some Being who is Himself subject to these very Laws!!!

This is contradiction. To say that God is above and beyond the LAW is a meaningless statement. We can only say, with the best of our understanding and knowledge, as supported by the Bible, or any other sacred text, that the greatest law is LOVE ... and thus that God, as God, is LOVE. We cannot divorce God's Nature, Being, or `Self,' from the Law of Love. This does not mean that there is nothing "beyond" - but for us, with our present understanding, the point is not even academic! {But challenge me, if you will, by telling me what is Greater than God-AS-Love? Remember, this is the SOURCE of all that we know, the Sustainer, as well as the Future.}

If we feel that Jesus is a magnet, drawing all men unto the Father ... then an esotericist will nod, and affirm that none of us comes to Mastery of the Laws of the Spirit, before we have gained knowledge, right use, and therefore increasing mastery overy the Laws of Consciousness ... yet even while we are striving toward this goal, we must also work to master the least aspect of our being, which is matter, our material aspect - body, emotions, mind. Matter must be brought under control of Consciousness, and Consciousness is in turn mastered by Spirit.

The distinctions are not quite the same as many Christians may be used to. Fair enough. Yet the discussion of the Laws of Attraction rings out to me with more or less clarity as a call to make further inquiry regarding these subjects. If Christ is the magnet that draws the Consciousness of Humanity inward and upward, through the portal of Knowledge, Love and Sacrifice (Service) toward the One Spirit ... then why should we not be studying the application of Christ's teachings to material life in the world today ... just because the motifs, the setting, the challenges, the technology, the political struggles, and religious & cultural settings - are not all thoroughly Biblical?

Matter is not God's outcast, unwanted refuse. It is not "dead" or inert. It is part of God's living substance, and must be Spiritualized through the activity of the Mediating Principle upon it. That Mediator, re the world at large, is US .... HUMANITY, the Consicousness of the Human Family, Spiritually considered. Relative to Humanity, the Mediator is CHRIST. And esotericsts even speak of yet higher centers, which Mediate between our Planet and the `Father's House.'

:)

This is all I can say at 3am, writing in the shadow of one of Christianity's Greatest Adepts, rather than at the hem of his aura. It's a bit to chew on; not sure I can even digest it myself. Just remember: often we see a good bit of ourselves in the world around us, even in freaky people like me. And that's when folks are clear & concise. :p

Peace ...

~andrew

As this thread seems to be little connected to mainstream Christianity, and as the discussion is touching a lot more on esoteric issues...I'll move the thread to the Esoteric board. :)

Hi Andrew –

... it's just the dire heresy of separateness which I think needs to come to an end.

Agreed. But that does not mean assuming that 'God' and 'man' is the same thing, or that man can enter Union with the Divine on his own terms.

With regard to Jesus Christ, put it this way, can you or I say: "No one comes to the Father except by [via] me"?

Thomas

Just a clarification of an earlier post, Psalm 82:6 seems at the surface to proclaim godhood to humanity:

"I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High." (KJV)

But if one would read the Psalm in context it is clear in the next verse that there is a complete reversal:

"But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes."

This doesn't appear to be a favorable evaluation of man after all, does it? But the whole Psalm entire illustrates how some judge unjustly. Judges are sometimes seen as gods because of the automony of their office. But because God is the judge of them, they will be accouintable for how they judges, in this case, they will die like men.

When Jesus employed this Psalm, look who He was addressing, these scribes and Pharisees that were judging Jesus, calling Him a blasphemer. I'm sure this reference to unjust judges in Psalm 82 wasn't lost on these experts in the Law. They got His point, for Jesus was merely turning their accusations right back at them for what they were doing to the people of Israel (see Matthew 23 - the woes).

These scribes and Pharisees could not see the forest for the trees. After all the miracles and healings Jesus performed, they didn't recognize whom they were addressing. And even after the "Ye are gods" statement, they still sought to take Jesus.

But moving on, I do want to touch on something Andrew said concerning Jesus' "I and the Father are ONE" proclamation. While it is apparent that Jesus here is making Himself equal with God (for the Jews did pick up stones), I keep coming back to what Jesus said in a later chapter in John:

"I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are." - John 17:9-11

And again:

"That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.
O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them." - John 17:21-26

Well, that's The Secret right there! If we are going to be ONE it is going to have to be in subjurgation with God.

Deuteromony 28:

"And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:
And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God....
But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:" - Deuteronomy 28:1-2, 15

It is a simple choice of obedience. That's what Laws (even this so-called Law of Attraction) were made for.

Hi Dondi –

The Catholic (and I believe common Christian) understanding of the Psalm follows your exegesis, that 'gods' in this sense refers to the function accorded to the judge.

Referring to the rest of your post, from a general Christian perspective, as long as Christ is perceived as purely human (and even as an avatara) then these and other verses become little more than sentimental nonsense.

Only as the Incarnate Logos can Christ say what He says with anything more than poetic license – as C.S. Lewis wrote, either this man was Bad, was Mad, or He is God.

My contention with the New Age is twofold:
1: We must be discreet to make sure that we are saying that we are glorified in Him, not He is glorified in us
2: When one talks of the 'God in me' one is necessarily talking of something that transcends the human state, so is not 'me' in that sense – in fact I would suggest that it is a rather naive presentation of the idea that I exist because God wills it, so God's will 'underwrites' my being, but is no part of my being in that sense ... 'I' exist because God wills it, but that does not make what God wills Divine ... although in the human context the creature is called to Union with its Creator ... when the creature dies, God no longer wills its being and in this sense that willing returns to God ... where 'I' go might be otherwise, and this is the death spoken of in Scripture. Again, the New Age makes the error of assuming that the 'God in me' is synonymous with 'me'.

Thomas

Referring to the rest of your post, from a general Christian perspective, as long as Christ is perceived as purely human (and even as an avatara) then these and other verses become little more than sentimental nonsense.

Only as the Incarnate Logos can Christ say what He says with anything more than poetic license – as C.S. Lewis wrote, either this man was Bad, was Mad, or He is God.

1: We must be discreet to make sure that we are saying that we are glorified in Him, not He is glorified in us
2: When one talks of the 'God in me' one is necessarily talking of something that transcends the human state, so is not 'me' in that sense – in fact I would suggest that it is a rather naive presentation of the idea that I exist because God wills it, so God's will 'underwrites' my being, but is no part of my being in that sense ... 'I' exist because God wills it, but that does not make what God wills Divine ... although in the human context the creature is called to Union with its Creator ... when the creature dies, God no longer wills its being and in this sense that willing returns to God ... where 'I' go might be otherwise, and this is the death spoken of in Scripture. Again, the New Age makes the error of assuming that the 'God in me' is synonymous with 'me'.

Thomas

Good points, Thomas!

It is important to keep a distinction between the Creator and His creation. Yet if God is the light of all men, then His very Person, in the form of the Holy Spirit, ought to transcend our own person. "He must increase, I must decrease" until "Christ is formed in you" (Gal 4:19). We are to be transformed in that "inner man" that struggles to seek dominance. Our whole purpose as Christians is "to be conformed to the image of his Son", who as the last Adam, is leading us to where the first Adam began, but failed.

Not that He trying to make carbon copies of Christ, we still have our our personalities, our egos, but how often do we get in the way of God's will for us?

Hi Dondi – wise words ...

St Maximus the Confessor talks about the self-determining or 'gnomic' will:

"Gnomic Will:
To will, according to Aristotle, is simply to recognize something as good. However, fallen humanity is no longer able to recognize the perfect goodness of God as the sole object of its will. It deliberates, and is attracted to that which it thinks is good (perhaps for selfish reasons) and hence is swayed by inclination.

This will Maximus calls 'gnomic will' from the Greek gnome – inclination or intention.

The human will of Christ belongs to his human nature, the divine will to his divine nature, but any gnomic will – being drawn by inclination – would belong to the human person. By contrast the one divine person of Christ had no such will, because he was never lacking in any knowledge of what was good: ultimate goodness – divinity – was always present to him. The natural human will of Christ was always shaped and ordered by the divine will, thus preventing the type of opposition which the monothelites were so concerned to avoid."
The Sixth Council of the Church

The will of the New Age is drawn by inclination to the affirmation of the self in the face of the world, and tragically by extension, in the face of God. This was an understandable reaction to the desacralisation of the Cosmos brought about by the Enlightenment, and the consequent dehumanisation of humanity by the Industrial Revolution ...

The roots of the New Age lie in the Romance movement, and thus is fatally imbued with a pseudo-mysticism and sentimentalism with regard to the idea of 'self' which distorts and thwarts its noblest efforts (one only has to trace the utter fabrication of the myth of the faerie – who in every culture were always malign and capricious creatures up until the 18th century) ... every good must appeal to the sentimental self (this is why everyone wants to be a mystic, but few enter monasteries or any ascetic practice) ... it is spiritual materialism.

Thomas

Andrew,

"The Father and I are one."

--> Just to let you know, in Theosophy, the Father refers to each person's Higher Self. It does not refer to a monotheistic deity. It is the task of each person to unite their consciousness with their Higher Self. That is the meaning of the statement.

"The Watcher, or the divine prototype, is at the upper rung of the ladder of being; the shadow, at the lower.... Its Primary, the Spirit (Atman) is one, of course, with Paramatma (the one Universal Spirit), but the vehicle (Vahan) it is enshrined in, the Buddhi, is part and parcel of that Dhyan-Chohanic Essence; and it is in this that lies the mystery of that ubiquity, which was discussed a few pages back. "My Father, that is in Heaven, and I — are one," — says the Christian Scripture; in this, at any rate, it is the faithful echo of the esoteric tenet."
Secret Doctrine vol 1 p 265
The Secret Doctrine by H. P. Blavatsky, vol. 1, bk 1, sec 7a

"I get lost in all the Christian theology...."

--> You will find the Theosophical explanations of the Logos easier to understand. Espeically because no anthropomorphism is allowed into Theosophy.

"...the primal issuance of a universe ... first takes place in the unmanifested aspect; therefore the primal emanantion [from the Absolute] is also unmanifested. This is termed the Unmanifested Logos (or First Logos) [The Father in Christianity]. All the potencies for manifestation are synthesized in this Unmanifest Logos and the manifestation takes place because of the potentized emanation of thei First Logos, by means of its link or bridge with the manifestation process, termed the Second Logos (or the Unmanifest-Manifest Logos) [The Holy Ghost in Christianity], through the Third Logos (or manifested Logos) [The Son in Christianity], which is represented as responsible for the coming forth in being, or the creative aspect of the Logos. Thus it is the the Divine Plan for the entire period of manifestation ... is present in the Unimanifested Logos and 'constitutes at one and the same time the Mind of the Universe and its immutable Law.' Every entity inherently follows this Immutable Law, and demonstrates that it is in accord with the Law by following its own cyclic activities and continuous change"
Geoffrey Barborka, The Divine Plan p 100
Quest Books

~~~

It is important to note Christianity regards the Son as the Second Logos, while it actually the Third Logos.

It is also important to note Christianity only deals with the manifestation know as this universe, and speaks of the three Logoi. The part about the Absolute, the period of time between universes, and previous universes has been left out of the Christian story, I guess to makes things easier for the readers.

AndrewX said:
... it's just the dire heresy of separateness which I think needs to come to an end.
Thomas said:
Agreed. But that does not mean assuming that 'God' and 'man' is the same thing, or that man can enter Union with the Divine on his own terms.
Definitely. We're on the same page here.

Thomas said:
With regard to Jesus Christ, put it this way, can you or I say: "No one comes to the Father except by [via] me"?

Thomas
If we oversimplify, then we might say "no." Yet St. Paul's "Christ within, the Hope of Glory," is itself a symbolic, and telling affirmation. It affirms - not what is already an accomplished fact for any of us (obviously) - but what is to be, and what will come, I believe, for all ... once we have applied God's Laws to our own Being.

`Apply,' here, includes all that is meant by Prayer and Invocation, as well as the willing submission, or self-discipline which has been described and laid out in every spiritual tradition. In the East it may look different, while even in the Western world there are three "religions of the Book," even with Christians differing greatly on just what right application of Spiritual Law(s) looks like.

But for `New Agers,' or certainly at least for Theosophists and for many esotericists, there is agreement that there is a Christ within. It is widely accepted that in time, the fullness, or outer Perfection of our entire material nature, as well as of the Indwelling Consciousness (the noetic self) ... is guaranteed, FOR ALL, as per Ephesians 4:13. This is not a question of whether, but when.

I think this is an important distinction, certainly between Biblical literalists and Universalists, or even among flavors of Christian teaching and interpretation. I am certainly a Universalist, but not in the sense that I think "anything goes." The Hundredth Monkey phenomenon, though perhaps true in one sense, does not provide for us any kind of Ideal to follow, spiritually speaking, because in fact it embodies the path of least resistance ...

What `The Secret' is indicating, is that we do not need to wait around for the Kingdom of Heaven to sprout all around us, nor must we seek to manifest it, or help facilitate it (co-Creatively) via a strict and rigorous set of (Christian) Ideals, teachings and principles. [In short, Christ comes for all.]

The Golden Rule, yes. Loving one's neighbor, and enemies, as oneself - which esotericists nudge forward by affirming the Essential (Inner) Unity, or Oneness of all Life - yes. And of course, paying close attention to the fact that "what goes around, comes around," "As we sow, thus do we reap" ... this too, the Law of Karma (inescapable, inexorable, definitely not arbitrary or preferential) ... all of these, we cannot avoid.

But ATTRACTION, I think, and its correlating Law of Repulsion, cannot be overemphasized. We learn, as we misapply (or misinterpret) this Law, that to fail to Love, is to attract to ourself unhappiness, or suffering. This is because what affects the One, affects the Many. We are inseparable, one from another, Humanity from the Earth, and both ourselves and the planet from the Divine ... even if Chief Seattle is often misquoted in expressing this fact.

Distinctions? Yes. Points of study? Of course. But it is largely due to our misunderstanding - and lack of Right Understanding - that we have arrived at much of this mess to begin with. I think that as we strive toward Oneness, toward Synthesis, it is better to err on the side of a bit of excess zeal to Unite, rather than to insist on keeping our differences, and (continue to) focus on division. A "common footing," or Christlike acceptance (a Loving Understanding and Compassionate regard) of all men ... now THIS would be even more Ideal! :)

Christ said, "I, if I be lifted up, will draw ALL MEN unto Me." This, I think means that we must exalt the Christ not simply in name, nor simply as a Christian figure, a holy leader, a spiritual Savior, or even as the Adept of Galilee. "Lifting up" means that everything which Christ represented ... must find (some measure of) application in our own, personal, even daily, lives. And we are all using the Law of Attraction (or LOVE), as well as that of Repulsion (Hate in a non-pejorative sense, but also "hate" as a negative emotional state and "sin," certainly) ... whether we know it, or are fully aware of it, or not.

What we do, or not do, we must do more consciously, says the esotericist ...

There are many methods, many means, of becoming increasingly conscious of the conditions in which we find ourselves. Some methods concern more so the outer awareness, others go straight to the heart of the matter, and affect the inner consciousness more directly, or at least facilitate our Communion with that Consciousness.

And whether we call it the Christ within, the Soul, or even G-d, the Divine Self ... the reality is one and the same. If it language which present the challenge to get beyond, then we must conquer it, and move on. If it conceptuality per se, or our mortal, limiting intellects, then likewise, we must conquer and more beyond.

Yet as the Buddhist Wisdom has steadily taught us, ego-conception, what esotericists call the Principle of Ahankar/Ahamkara (meaning literally, `I-maker') ... THIS TOO, presents an obstacle, and we must SURMOUNT IT.

ONLY if Consciousness ALREADY EXISTS - Latent, yet Divinely Potential - BEYOND the ego ... ONLY THUS, might we have Hope ... for St. Paul's GLORY.

This is not the `earthly glory' that goes along with fame and fortune. How is this any different than yet more ego-gratification?

So THIS is where I simply find that the message of `The Secret' may not fully appeal, insomuch as ego may end up interfering with some of the lessons which we are really here, as Soul(s), to learn. But for those who deny, or reject, this latter Condition of our Being, then I think `The Secret' actually holds much promise, and a few lessons worth taking time to consider.

The earnest Disciple, well on the way, already attentive to the Rules of the Road, and attentive to the still, small voice ... s/he will perhaps gain little from `The Secret,' save a reminder that there are Many Roads leading back to Godhead. S/he may be reminded, pleasantly so, that many a Soul will start to awaken - so far as the outer, personality awareness is concerned by the method, and teachings, even of our co-Brothers on the Path, NONE of us perfect, save the Great Ones, yet each - in earnest - seeking to assist his fellow man along the Way.

So the Heart, not the Eye, is what matters most - here, as everywhere.

And the Silence is calling to me, I hear it now ... :eek:

Namaskara,

~andrew

Not to suggest you aren't familiar with various approaches to an understanding of the Divine Doctrine of Avatars ... but Thomas, here I'm afraid the entire point is being overlooked - whether intentionally, or not.

The very word, `avatara,' comes from the Sanksrit, avatArah descent, from avatarati he descends, from ava- away + tarati he crosses over (from Webster's collegiate).

It means, thus, He cross over, or descends ... from `away.' And the "Away," here, means the `Farther Shore' of Buddhist teachings, or the (Maha-)ParaNirvana of Hinduism, even Sunya(ta).

To say that this is "sentimental nonsense" is rather disingenuous. It amounts to nothing more than saying, "Your God isn't as great as my God ... so there!" :(

In order to dialogue about the Divine, and/or various Manifestations thereof, it is hardly friendly to draw a line in the sand, and say to one's neighbor, unless you cross this line, we are not on equal terms, because you don't really understand `God' at all. "Your god, in short, is a fake! Only my god is the real McCoy." Children may play at this, but,
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Though I may be a "babe in Christ, even carnal," please do not speak to me - even as a man of 35 - as if I am yet of childish, unevolved spiritual understanding. For the same God that granteth to you the power to understand, the ability to draw near, granteth to me the same abilities and potential, just as gladly. And I truly believe that He delights when we so approach Him! :)

Thomas said:

Thomas
As for point #1, the distinction you make is not one that I consider arbitrary ... however, I do think we may have a difference of understanding with regard to the Christ Principle (vide my earlier, if lengthier, post). Specifically, our own Christ Self, just as our lesser, mortal, earthly self (or personality, "ego") - is certainly glorified in the greater, already-Christed `SELF' of The Avatar, or God's Direct, Incarnate Expression Whom Christians know as Christ (Jesus). I'll go with that, yes.

But again, even while we are `little ones' to Christ's Greatness, it is not a difference in Quality, but rather, a difference in "Quantity," which makes the distinction. One Christ, truly, only ONE Christ, just as One God, truly, only ONE God. The Greeks taught us how to deal with this. The problem (conceptually, intellectually speaking) of the `One and the Many' might make for a good discussion. I do no mean or pretend to speak patronizingly, for the Mystery is as new to me, and as beyond as it was when I first pondered it in college, or in a Theosophical primer 17 some years ago!

I daresay, even if we may have some of us been fortunate enough to study with the Greeks themselves, I doubt we have advanced nearly as closely to the full Revelation, or full Understanding of these Lesser Mysteries of Being as have the Greeks!!!

Of course, as Theosophist, many of the greatest names are regarded a the Mahatamas of more recent notoriety ... yet since Jesus himself becomes Appollonius of Tyana (even Ramanujacharya), I fail to see how the HONOR of merely being a "Great Soul" is any less than St. Paul's affirmation of the same in Ephesians 4:13. Or could it be, that recent commentators have done us a disservice by their own clouded, judging minds (and human hearts) ... thus, in their zeal and haste to affirm one manifestation of the Christian Saviour, unwittingly barred the door to the knock, and opportunity, to Know and Receive another?

JesusKnocks.jpg

The Individual Soul, certainly, is glorified in Christ. Christ delights, at the same time, no less, when we lift our eyes, our gaze, our attention and little wills, to the Spiritual. In this, it can truly be said that the Greater doth Glorify the lesser ... while the lesser, in answering, hath reciprocated. Christ delights in our Service to God's Plan - and I prefer to understand this as a Smile. In this sense, one may say that we have evoked this response, just as the Soul (the Christ within) has evoked a response (the Will-to-Serve) from the form, or personality.

It may all seem obscure, but Thomas, I just feel we're splitting hairs at this point. This all comes down to subtle distinctions, yet they're almost academic, and I truly don't think our approach - either as Catholic, or Theosophist/esotericist - makes a hill o' beans diffrerence. Certainly it won't fall under one of those, "subtle but monumentally important points of contention." The contention will be if the New Ager, or would-be chela, asserts that he needs no Master(s), or that, in fact, he is already his own Master ... whether because there is a Christ within, or even because there are many approaches to the Godhead.

Pride, in the last analysis, simply shows up for what it is ... an unsightful blemish, or spot, on the face of the Divine Countenance - and, unfortunately, a shadow, which must be removed (Redeemed, via the Pure Light and Love of the Divine) ere God's Eternal Glory, and full Power, may shine in, and through, that "Individual" [Son of God]. Now this, too, has everything to do with the Aaronic Blessing ... and the battle between the various groups of the Sons of God which took place during Atlantis, and was revisited during the Great War(s) - and which even now plays itself out, in the "final days," as one Era gives way, to the next (and New).

~~~

Point #2 makes clear sense and just underscores the great difficulty with which any of us is presented in attempting to speak of things Divine. Perhaps for this reason the Great Ones have chosen Their Messengers with care, and only those whose natures, both inward and outer, have been properly prepared ... have been fit vessels for the Teaching. One can study this process in terms of the Judeo-Christian Revelation, and Message, as well as various Eastern traditions, and relationships between the Divine and the various Intermediaries.

Some Messages, therefore some vessels, require utmost purity, as well as a certain Transcendence of the very Message, or Divine Principle(s), which They have sought to convey. Thus the Buddha, the Christ, and other Avatars of a lesser nature, all manifest some Aspect of God directly, and this equates (at least in my understanding) with what we mean by "an Incarnation of the Logos," while Nick's point about differences in Christian and Theosophical presentation finds equal relevance. One Master speaks of a few other avatars in recent times, including Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the original Martin Luther, Christopher Columbus, and Abraham Lincoln.

These are all racial avatars, as was Bismarck, who embodied "evil" or materialism, since this Principle (in a material sense) also has its avatars (unfortunately, if we so wish to comment).

Other types of Avatars, in the esoteric tradtion of Alice Bailey, include: Teaching Avatars, Ray Avatars, Transmitting Avatars, and Divine Embodiments. Not even the Christ, or the Buddha, are technically in this last category ... since the Forces, or Entities involved, are here Cosmic, and not simply Planetary, or relevant to our own Solar System. A Systemic, or even Cosmic Avatar ... is regarded by students of Alice Bailey (and other esotericists) - as today overshadowing our tiny planet (and associated schemes) ... presenting us with rare opportunity, and one means of expressing this occasion has been to say that a new, hitherto unknown Aspect of Deity will be released, or made known, to Humanity.

Frankly, this does make my head spin a bit, since for the esotericist, God is Love, and no Revelation that we will experience while yet within Human incarnation will transcend this "Cosmic Perspective" - affecting as it does, all life within our Solar System. And yet, since esotericists already regard the Christian Trinity, or its equivalent, as being an expression of the Solar Logos, mirroring for us the much, much greater Cosmic Trinity (or Trinities) ... perhaps we have more room for exploration than we recognize.

The problem, Thomas, with which I agree completely, is what Blavatsky referred to when she paraphrased the ancient warning: `The mind is the great slayer of the Real.' This is precisely what I hear you echoing in your second point of contention. But here, there's nothing to contend! My ego gets in the way, so does yours. My tendency to intellectualize, even reify certain concepts gets in the way, perhaps yours does as well. Is any of us really free from the tendency to do this?

We can even imagine a `Tardis,' and see Doctor Who walk into a police booth on the tellie, and understand this notion. But do we really believe such a thing is possible? I find that Truth really is - stranger than fiction. N'est pas?

So what're we to do? Give up the dialogue? Try and clobber each other over the head with yet more doctrine ... affirmed, confirmed, officially stamped and sealed and proclaimed, authoritative nonsense? I say, 'nonsense,' not because I truly think this is what much of Catholic Catechism is, any more than the Mahatma Letters to A.P. Sinner, or `The Secret Doctrine.' But you see, if we are speaking with other apparently, while really only talking past each other - for assuming the other is somehow misguided, or just does not "get it," then I've convinced ... we may as well be speaking nonsense, because not Gospel, nor the greatest of Psalms and Commentaries, will strike a resonant chord.

True, at times we're left with one method only of relating, and that is simply to live the Gospel, rather than repeat it. "When all else fails," as it were. And it really shouldn't come to that; it must not, else our little planet, or its present Human society and civilization(s), isn't gonna make it. I'm pretty convinced on this point.

Something about a Silence, still speaking to me ... and waiting.
I know it is there, for everyone, each and all - and not due, to my affirmation, or belief, or the beliefs, teachings, prayers or affirmations, of anyone. It is, yes, the ultimate ego-game, to disengage, and realize how silly it is to play a chicken-and-egg game with `G-d.' :p

Meanwhile, I hope we do not cease discussing the Path, the Search, the Road and the mileposts ... or find cause to Fellowship along the way, whatever the forum, or circumstances, in which we find ourself.

So ... Namaskara ... and Peace

Hi Nick –

in Theosophy, the Father refers to each person's Higher Self. It does not refer to a monotheistic deity...

Then there is an irrevocable difference between The People of the Book and Theosophy. And it would seem to make most of what other Theosophists write here redundant?

(The problem I have is, if you are not Monotheist, you seem to rely so heavily on re-interpretations of Monotheist religious texts? Are you trying to prove something, or have you an axe to grind with regards to monotheism? Cannot Theosophy offers its own argument without having to work through everyone else's to make its point? ... otherwise it comes across as a rather muddled and inaccurate syncretic derivative.)

... That is the meaning of the statement.

Well, as it stemmed from a Monotheistic Tradition, patently it is not. It might well be your interpretation of the text, but that is because you follow a fundamentally different hermeneutic and epistemology.

When I look into comparative religion, I note that the Great Traditions do not seek to reinterpret the texts of other traditions, but rather accord them a due reverence as the sacra doctrina of that tradition. A Buddhist, for example, might offer an interpretation of the text along the lines you posit (Theosophy being heavily influenced by Buddhism and the Asiatic Traditions generally) but would never assume thereby that their interpretation is what the text actually means. This is where, I hold, Theosophy doth assume too much.

+++

You will find the Theosophical explanations of the Logos easier to understand. Espeically because no anthropomorphism is allowed into Theosophy.

"...the primal issuance of a universe ... first takes place in the unmanifested aspect; therefore the primal emanantion [from the Absolute] is also unmanifested. This is termed the Unmanifested Logos (or First Logos) [The Father in Christianity].

Well this is where metaphysical precision is all important. The term 'Unmanifested Logos' implies a condition of the Logos, and the Father of Christianity is prior to all condition or determination – He is utterly Absolute and Transcendant in that sense – He is prior to Logos.

For a more precise theosophist idea of the Father, one might look at Anaximander on Arche (Logos or Principle) and Apeiron (The Boundless or Absolute), and from thence to the arche anarchos (Principle without Principle) of Patristics – or perhaps to Middle and Later Platonism.

All the potencies for manifestation are synthesized in this Unmanifest Logos
Well that's a contradiction if you then offer different logoi.

and the manifestation takes place because of the potentized emanation of thei First Logos...
From here on, from a Christian perspective, the first error leads to an increasing tangential departure, and ends up tripping over itself.

To clarify:
The Father is prior to all modes and distinctions, is 'simple' and unconditioned.

The Logos comprises in Itself as possible and potential modes of being. Eriugena sums it up nicely:
1 - That which is not created and creates;
2 - That which is created and creates;
3 - That which is created and does not create;
4 - That which is not created and does not create.
from Periphyseon, or De Divisione Naturae by Johann Scotus Eriugena. Note that Eriugena uses 'nature' (natura) in a precise metaphysical sense.

The Logos, or Arche, is therefore subsequent to the Apeiron, the Arche Anarchos, or the Absolute.

It is important to note Christianity regards the Son as the Second Logos, while it actually the Third Logos.
Actually Christianity regards the Son as The Logos, in all its degrees and modes.

It is also important to note Christianity only deals with the manifestation know as this universe ... and speaks of the three Logoi.
Sorry Nick, wrong on both counts. Christianity speaks of the Principle of Logos, of which there can be only one, rather than particular degrees or modes, when one devolves into cosmologies ... and also, thereby, the Principle of Creation, rather than n-number of universes ...

... We're back to where we were before – Theosophy interprets the texts according to a cosmological hermeneutic, Christianity interprets them according to a prior metaphysical hermeneutic.

The part about the Absolute, the period of time between universes, and previous universes has been left out of the Christian story, I guess to makes things easier for the readers.
Has it? Or are you saying because you can't see it, it's not there?

I suggest you take a closer look. I can recommend some books if you like. Eriugena might tickle your esoteric fancy, Aquinas is probably too rigorous, Bonaventure too poetic to be read without informed commentary. De Cusa is philosophical ... St Maximus, of course, and if you've enough time there's von Balthasar ...

I've posted something on symbol on the Philosophy Board ... that might help you understand Christianity and the error of trying to interpret one hermeneutic according to another ...

Thomas

in Theosophy, the Father refers to each person's Higher Self. It does not refer to a monotheistic deity...
In a Huna book I am reading it speaks of the higher self also as the Father. It describes attaining the marriage to your feminine and masculine nature, your realizing your connection to everythinng and all that is. The way I read it, each individuals higher self is G-d, is one.

Does that differ largely from Theosophy?

I don't see how it differs much from Christianity's 'I and the Father are one' combined with the thought that G-d is omnipresent.

Because such doctrines are essentially pantheist,
and Christianity is not pantheistic.

Thomas

Thomas,

You said,

"...or have you an axe to grind...."

--> I am surprised you have said such a thing. Why are you being so defensive?

"Are you trying to prove something..?"

--> Yes, although you seem to be saying it in an accusing way. Again, your touchy defensiveness surprises me.

"...if you are not Monotheist, you seem to rely so heavily on re-interpretations of Monotheist religious...."

--> You have it backwards. The pantheistic interpretations came first, and the monotheists interpretations came later. As far as re-interpretating is concerned, that is exactly the task of Theosophy — to point out mistakes in your tradition. Where the mistakes came from , or which came first, does not matter. Father = Atman. The Christian interpretation is mistaken, no more, no less.

"...there is an irrevocable difference between The People of the Book and Theosophy."

By that I guess you mean the Bible. The day will come when everyone will see that both traditions came from the same source. For those who are interested, I can show amazing similarities between Christianity, Buddhism, Judiasm, and Hinduism — because they all came from the same source.

"...a rather muddled and inaccurate syncretic derivative..."

--> Feel free to point out the muddlings and inaccuracies.

"...as it stemmed from a Monotheistic Tradition, patently it is not."

--> It is definitely not from a Monotheistic Tradition. Such an idea could never come from monotheism.

"I note that the Great Traditions do not seek to reinterpret the texts of other traditions, but rather accord them a due reverence as the sacra doctrina of that tradition."

--> Your entire premise is wrong. Seeking the truth, unshacked by dogma, is not irreverence. The very motto of Theosophy is "There is no religion higher than Truth."

http://www.theosophy-nw.org/theosnw/pnt/pnt9-95.htm
(Motto is at the bottom of the page.)

In Theosophy, when truth butts heads with dogma, dogma always loses.

Certainly, mistakes do not deserve reverence. You wish to hide behind your teaching, even when they contain mistakes. My tradition seeks out what the teachings originally meant, even if that makes your tradition unhappy. You may call my questioning of your tradition as irreverent. I call it seeking the truth, and uncovering cover-ups.

"A Buddhist ... would never assume thereby that their interpretation is what the text actually means."

--> Oh yes they would. I speak from having been a Buddhist for many years.

"Theosophy doth assume too much."

--> Feel free to point out the over-assumptions.

"...the Father of Christianity is prior to all condition or determination – He is utterly Absolute and Transcendant in that sense – He is prior to Logos."

--> I am using Logos as defined by Theosophy, not Christianity. The Chrisitan concept of an Almighty God does not exist in Theosophy. I am aware of the Christian definition of Father, even if I do not agree with it.

"For a more precise theosophist idea of the Father, one might look at...."

--> I have even more precise quotes from Theosophical authors. Feel free to ask for them. As far as the Theosophical view of the Christian Father, it is a (mistaken) blend of Atman and the First Logos.

"...that's a contradiction if you then offer different logoi."

--> You lost me on that one. Can you explain?

"...the first error leads to...."

--> I have yet to see the first "error".

"The Logos ... is therefore subsequent to the ... Absolute."

--> By golly, we actually agree on something! If you can see how Theosophy does not equate the Absolute with the Father, we are really starting to communicate.

"Christianity only deals with the manifestation known as this universe --> Sorry Nick, wrong..."

--> Where, then, does Genesis talk about previous universes? Genesis only talks about this universe. Our universe began with the appearance of the Light. The period before this universe began is referrred to as the Darkness. (The part about Darkness moving across the Water has been called "an inkling of the universe about to come".) The previous universe ended when its Light went out. Genesis does not describe the inter-universal Darkness, nor previous appearances and disappearances of the Light (which is a shame). Genesis is a this-universe story only.

"Christianity speaks of the Principle of Logos, of which there can be only one..."

--> Here we go again, debating whether God is one or three. (Such a debate ripped the church into Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox rivals.) Fortunately, Theosophy explains how the Logos can be One yet Three at the same time.

"The part about ... previous universes has been left out.... --> Has it? Or are you saying because you can't see it, it's not there?"

--> Does Genesis describe previous universes?

"...the error of trying to interpret one hermeneutic according to another ..."

--> Using such an interpretation does not automatically mean an error is made or not made. But that is beside the point. Instead of saying that these interpretations should not be allowed, you should point out why the mistakes I point out are not mistakes.

wil,

You asked,

"Does that differ largely from Theosophy?"

--> No. They are the same basic idea.

"I don't see how it differs much from Christianity's 'I and the Father are one' combined with the thought that G-d is omnipresent."

--> Theosophy teaches of an Absolute, which is different than an Almighty God. The Absolute/God difference is one the main differences between Christianity and Theosophy.

Thomas,

You said,

"...Christianity is not pantheistic."

--> Christianity is a pantheistic religion. It has a done a very good job of covering it up over the centuries, but a few Christian pantheistic teachings have inadvertantly leaked out. (A few things got by the Christian censors by mistake.)

I asked you before, and I ask you now: Who are the "us" people in Genesis 1:26?

I asked you before, and I ask you now: Who are the "us" people in Genesis 1:26?
Brace yourself, Nick. You know what spin shall follow. Let me save him the trouble.

He will say, suddenly the copyists have taken a liberty, error even, or perhaps just shifted point of view for some reason which seems arbitrary, but may have made sense at the time.

He will say, "Let us make man in our image, and after our likeness" ... amounts to no more than me, saying to you, Let US go get a cup of coffee for OURSELVES.

I expect no greater commentary on the passage ... because I am used to it by now. :rolleyes:

Back