xtian...Xmas

Wasn't always so, though.

1922, Ladies Home Journal advertisement

In spite of a long and respectable history, today Xmas is offensive to many, perhaps because of its associations with advertising.
Even if a person deliberately used it as an insult, I don't see it as a problem with their attitude, but my own attitude.
Same source says: "Many therefore frown upon the term Xmas because it seems to them a commercial convenience that omits Christ from Christmas."

And from another source: Usage Note: Xmas has been used for hundreds of years in religious writing, where the X represents a Greek chi, the first letter of
c_kc_hgr.gif
rgr.gif
igr.gif
sgr.gif
tgr.gif
ogr.gif
sfgr.gif
, "Christ." In this use it is parallel to other forms like Xtian, "Christian." But people unaware of the Greek origin of this X often mistakenly interpret Xmas as an informal shortening

You can please some of the people some of the time...the only way a business can go under is trying to please everybody!

So it in fact doesn't omit Christ, some just seem to think it does. (I did have a little latent issues with it, all resolved with this discussion) I doubt that Christ would care. I doubt that G-d is upset. Even if it were meant for evil...we should be able to make it for good.

And now that we know the TRUTH, that should affect our emotional attachment to what we perceive to be a negative...as we all here now KNOW it is not. We should start using it with pride...and educate others.

oh....and no one here considers blogging or texting or posting formal writing do they?? Can't be anything more informal than net forums...

oh...definitions and usage is soooo tricky.

I don't think anyone was called Jesus Christ in the day of Jesus Christ, were they? Was there anyone on the planet called Christian? Did they celebrate a Christmas? It seems like the person who might be offended is the person that coined the words for the translation, or maybe that group or generation.

I prefer to call Santa Claus the Satan Clause. Is there someone who will be offended?

Same source says: "Many therefore frown upon the term Xmas because it seems to them a commercial convenience that omits Christ from Christmas."

Oh . . . I thought it was important to clarify this.

Christmas to me is . . . just Christmas.

I see a distinction between Christmas and Christianity. Christmas is a cultural activity. Christianity is a religion and involves dedication and devotion. For this reason I don't mind that Christmas involves buying and selling. While Christmas may celebrate Christ, it is a secular holiday observed also by atheists. It's part of Western culture.

I don't need a Christmas holiday. I can celebrate Christ every day. I don't need to make any day special. Every day is Christmas!!! Every day is a "Sabbath." Every day is special!!! For me the real Christmas and the real "Sabbath" is the Christmas/"Sabbath" within.

I don't think anyone was called Jesus Christ in the day of Jesus Christ, were they? Was there anyone on the planet called Christian? Did they celebrate a Christmas? It seems like the person who might be offended is the person that coined the words.

I prefer to call Santa Claus the Satan Clause. Is there someone who will be offended?

Biblically, several people called Jesus, the Messiah, the Son of God (which is translated as the "Christ"). Are we into semantics? :eek:

I don't need a Christmas holiday. I can celebrate Christ every day. I don't need to make any day special. Every day is Christmas!!! Every day is a "Sabbath." Every day is special!!! For me the real Christmas and the real "Sabbath" is the Christmas/"Sabbath" within.
AMEN.

I grew up with parents and folks got irritated, mad, made comments everytime they saw Xmas signs instead of Christmas signs...this was the 60's.
I also.
I got to say, I don't get it.

I don't use it, but it doesn't bother me. Seems we got bigger fish to fry...speaking of fish...we don't have any problem with that symbol do we?
Yeah...I don't think of it as something to fight over.

I find "x-tian" weird. I'll take the time to include "Christ" in my "Christian".

I don't mind X-mas, however, it being a pagan holiday (imo).

What about when people write thanx?
I've written thanx for years...and just because ks and x make the same sound when read...but since gratitude definitely part of Christianity (although not owned by it)...I like the concept of it meaning that Christ is in my gratitude...that I am not only thanking the person, but their Christ within, That I am not only grateful for whatever, but all that G-d provides...

Seattlegal asked about Generation X and then there are X-men and as Pattimax indicated the variable X, and railroad Xings...I'm gonna like these new reminders of Christ everywhere....thanX all!

17th Angel said:
Sounds good... In general we are less religious, than the Americans... Alot less non believers, or people that do not take religion seriously.

Oh dear. Not what I meant at all. And I mistyped, too. I said St. Andrew. I meant Anthony.

All I meant is that there may be more religious Christian (as well as so-called Pre-Christian) meaning in the symbol "X" with which some folks in Europe would be more familiar because of historical associations than here in the States.

And for the record, I like to type out the name, too.

InPeace,
InLove

I've written thanx for years...and just because ks and x make the same sound when read...but since gratitude definitely part of Christianity (although not owned by it)...I like the concept of it meaning that Christ is in my gratitude...that I am not only thanking the person, but their Christ within, That I am not only grateful for whatever, but all that G-d provides...

Seattlegal asked about Generation X and then there are X-men and as Pattimax indicated the variable X, and railroad Xings...I'm gonna like these new reminders of Christ everywhere....thanX all!

And what about XXL size shirts, and the X games? Oh, and Malcolm X.

Back