What Are You Watching on Youtube?

Are you becoming an anarchist Tao?

Becoming? I started spending my milk-run money on tickets to see punk bands when I was 12. There are very few of the original wave I did not see. My favourites were the Dead Kennedys, The Ruts and Stiff Little Fingers, tho I never got to see the DK's live, The Ruts just once and SLF I saw 9 times...so far :p So I suppose in that sense I have been an "anarchist" a long time. Tho I think thats as loose a label as you can get. Really I hope I'm a cherry-picker..... take the best where I find it :)

YouTube - DEAD KENNEDYS ..... HOLIDAY IN CAMBODIA LIVE TARGET STUDIOS

YouTube - The Ruts

YouTube - Stiff Little Fingers - Gotta Get Away & Tin Soldiers

Had a nice trip down memory lane hunting out these vids :D

you are also a Mistress of understatement...BECOMING???

Well we all have to have a hobby. :eek: I shall have to send him to the naughty spot again if he is not careful.

So I suppose in that sense I have been an "anarchist" a long time. Tho I think thats as loose a label as you can get. Really I hope I'm a cherry-picker..... take the best where I find it :)

Oh but not really 'an anarchist - down with society' type. Okay you have avoided the naughty spot for now. ;)

Had a nice trip down memory lane hunting out these vids :D

They are all new to me, I was a rocker. :eek:

Well I was a regular at Donnington too :cool: I'm ecclectic....wot can I say :)

Hey Tao,

Have you ever heard of the group The Runaways (curiosity killed :kitty:, satisfaction brought :kitty: back to life)? Two of their members became rather well-known in the scene after the group broke up (Lita Ford and Joan Jett.) Another of the former members died sometime within the past six months (Sandy West, I believe was her name.)

My older brother was somewhat of a fan of theirs back in their heyday.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Two of their members became rather well-known in the scene after the group broke up (Lita Ford and Joan Jett.)

Sweet. One of my first 7" records as a wee rug rat was Joan Jett's I Love Rock & Roll single. That and Steve Miller Band's Abracadabra. Loved that one. I'd stare at the record going round and round and just groove out. No drugs, I swear--I was six! Or seven, or five, or something...

...yeah...

Later (much later) I enjoyed the Dead Kennedys, too, Tao.

And MW, I am beginning to consider myself an anarchist. :)

that is awesome. :) Jello Biafra is such a FREAK! The war footage interspersed is very eerie--of course I wouldn't expect much else. Reminds me of the time I saw Hovercraft at the 40 Watt in Athens, Georgia and they had that kind of jagged delay atmospheric sound that the DK's guitarist produces along with a very trippy movie track that included a-bomb footage. Crazy, wonderful, disturbing stuff.

This one is fun, and funny especially when Lee Ranaldo breaks out the baseball bat and he and Thurston caricature the excess falling-down destruction of punk rock n roll in the last 45 seconds or so.

YouTube - 100 % - Sonic Youth

end verbiage.
:D

I don't want to interrupt the flow of this thread, so I'm not seeking a debate here. But others of you have made short comments regarding the Texas voting video, so (since I am a Texan and an American)....

I can't drive to the polls to vote, but I can vote absentee, and my vote is not a matter of public record, as is the vote of any legislator. That's a notable difference. Just to be clear, these legislators are not voting more than once for themselves, and they are not voting against the wishes of the people who are not there. So it is still one vote for each representative. I don't know where the "missing" legislators in this video are--granted, they may very well be out playing golf or something, but hopefully they are meeting with constituents or doing something else that pertains to their jobs. Frankly, I doubt that all of them are, but I can only hope. Furthermore, I doubt seriously that it is only in Texas where this happens. The rule which was cited in the video allows for disciplinary action as deemed appropriate by the House, so the fact that there has been no action taken against any of the people voting on behalf of others is not exactly contrary to those rules.

Yes, it would look better if all the reps were at their desks. But maybe some are out campaigning for keeping a children's hospital running or something. We don't know where they are, but I'll bet that if we looked into it, we'd find at least some of them are actually working. Like I say, that is the hope, anyway. And, for anyone interested, here is the statement from the speaker regarding the report (lol-I notice Craddock is absent:D)

Statement from Alexis DeLee, Spokesperson for House Speaker, Tom Craddick.
"Since the membership has adopted the requirement for a record vote on 3rd reading, it is probable that members may vote for other members when they leave the floor to eat, meet with constituents or go to the restroom. Like many House rules dealing with the interactions between members, we leave the enforcement of the rules to the good judgment of the members. Members shouldn't be voting for members who aren't here, but if they do, everyone has the right to ask for a verification vote. A member may always lock their voting machine and take their key when they are off the floor so they may not be voted in their absence. When a verification is called and a member is not found, the House Sergeant's office locks their machine and takes their key. When strict enforcement is asked for by a house member, the Speaker allows each member time to get to their desk to vote."

Source: Lawmakers Vote Multiple Times For Others - Austin's source for breaking news, weather and sportsCBS 42

flow and MW, I understand completely why America, particularly Texas, tends to evoke some negative responses right now, but that does not mean that there is nothing good here, nor that things can never be righted. There are people here keeping an eye out and working for good things. I am working for change, and I am not alone. But surely you knew that...as I have recently suggested to someone on another thread, boots and cowboy hats do not necessarily ignorance and a narrow mind make...;):)

Love you guys....and the video is kind of hilarious...

InPeace,
InLove

InLove,

First girl that ever broke my heart was a Texan. So I know there are beautiful people in Texas too :) I doubt such behaviour is confined to Texas but still you have rather more faith in these golf...erm I mean legislators than I would. Had a party of local ones at work yesterday. I have a new theory....they are solely composed of the ineffectual friendless freaks you went to school with. And they are there for vengeance!! But seriously... the point of the story is a valid one... its one rule for them and another for everyone else. That is sad.

Phyliss,

My apologies for forgetting to answer your post yesterday. The only one I know is Joan Jet who rocked. These days I am listening more and more to contemporary Jazz for some reason. I find it relaxing I suppose:p My sons friends have put together a little rock band and they are young and a little naive but show a lot of promise. Here is a link to their site where you can hear their music. I think you have to join Bebo to listen tho.. if link does not work they can be found on Bebo as "the anyways".

The Anyways <The-Anyways>

Tao

InLove,

Some of those people were likely voting against the wishes of those who were absent. They were voting across party lines. That said, I don't think this is an example of how Texas or the US are messed up places but just of the types of craziness that can and do show up within governments. This just happens to be particularly visible. This video was actually sent to me by a guy in Austin who does work in politics.

I agree with Tao it's sad. I couldn't help laughing my way through the whole video and that's only because it seems so ridiculous, surreal even. I think I understand the need you feel to defend TX and the US on this forum where Americans are outnumbered and I agree with you that there's a need to combat knee-jerk anti-American ignorance, but poor examples don't really help to build a good case.

-- Dauer

I liked the 37 second Benny Hill version...'remix'

I also liked the guy who turned to vote for someone behind him...but was beat to the punch by someone else...and then turned back only to find his neighbor in front was already voting for him!

Now to me this just displays the ludicrousness of it all. I don't believe that those crossing party lines voted any differently than the way those at the desk would have voted....but I do believe it shows how they all are completely aware of the outcome of a bill before the vote...no surprises...the decisions are still made in the smoke filled rooms or out on the golf course....we are only privy to the portion of the show that they care us to see...and this portion they are willing to do right in front of us.

Tao Equus said:
First girl that ever broke my heart was a Texan. So I know there are beautiful people in Texas too :)

If you know where she is now, let me know, and I will go and kick her you-know-what with my pointy-toed boots (I don't really own any, though)! After all, I am working to make things right here. :D

I doubt such behaviour is confined to Texas but still you have rather more faith in these golf...erm I mean legislators than I would.

Faith? None at all. Just trying to work within whatever system is already here, and keeping tabs. When I see that promises are not kept, I shall go forth with these symbolic virtual pointy-toed boots and kick some symbolic virtual you-know-what. :D

dauer said:
Some of those people were likely voting against the wishes of those who were absent. They were voting across party lines.

Wouldn't this get them in mucho trouble? I mean, the votes are recorded. I would think that if this were happening, we'd surely know about it--there would be a huge outcry and scandals and such. I don't think voting across party lines is all that unusual, as lots of issues have bi-partisan support.

That said, I don't think this is an example of how Texas or the US are messed up places but just of the types of craziness that can and do show up within governments. This just happens to be particularly visible. This video was actually sent to me by a guy in Austin who does work in politics.

Oh, I know you weren't singling out Texas or the U.S. And I do think that we the citizens ought to be informed of these situations. And I did find it amusing as well as informative. I didn't take offense at all from anyone's comments. I just wanted to "Stand in the Place Where Live". LOL--it's not a great video or anything (IMO), but I've always kind of liked the sentiment, and the slogan at the end is the one that "W" botched up so badly (well, one of them, anyway)....:D Just thought I'd post a video, so as to keep with the idea of the thread.

YouTube - Stand

InPeace,
InLove

Back