Consciousness: A Symptom of the Soul?

We are humans so we explain and talk using human standards, if not we would not be able to communicate about something beyond human. To express God we would have to meditate and go beyond the mind because words are human symbols. Let us use those symbols to express that God is the Almighty and understand that He is all pervasive.

The Word within a Word can be referred to as the microcosm within the macrocosm each containing all the qualities of the other. That is why we can say we are made in the image and likeness of God.
"And God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

I believe it was Ramana Maharshi that postulated: "That which is not present in deep dreamless sleep, does not exist"

In reply to a number of comments :

Somebody once told me the story of how a person in coma (for some length of time) upon waking turned to the person by their bedside and said "why didn't you read louder." Their carer had been sitting by the bed each day, reading a book out-loud, even though they weren't sure if the person was really conscious of it or not. This instance would suggest that consciousness remains in some form, even if we are comatose.

In terms of sleeping, the Indian philospher, Jiva Goswami, was of the belief that as souls we are always connected to God, and in deep sleep we actually have some of kind of 'darshan' or closeness with Him which refreshes us spiritually each day - although I do not have the exact quotation to hand...

As for what the soul is (if there is a soul)? - That seems to me to be the first and foremost question we could ask in any philosophical or religious system. What is so interesting is the amount of diverse answers on what is really a fundamentally simple question. Who are we?

... Neemai :)

We are humans so we explain and talk using human standards, if not we would not be able to communicate about something beyond human. To express God we would have to meditate and go beyond the mind because words are human symbols. Let us use those symbols to express that God is the Almighty and understand that He is all pervasive.

Agreed, but then we have to be very precise in our use of symbols.

The Word within a Word can be referred to as the microcosm within the macrocosm each containing all the qualities of the other. That is why we can say we are made in the image and likeness of God.
"And God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

OK.

But you have not signified what 'qualities' you are referring to, and my point was we must ensure not to 'qualify' God, taking ourselves as the mean.

If we assert how like we are, we must also assert how unlike — for 'image' and 'likeness' does not mean the same 'essence' or 'substance'

God is being : man is being : dog is being : rock is being — and as such God, men, dogs and rocks are in the same 'image' (they are all perceived as beings) and likeness (they have properties common to 'being' eg they all exist) but they are very different things.

That God chose man to share in His 'likness' and 'image' means that man manifests this is a superlative manner with regard to the rest of the created order, but it does not mean than a creature is of the same essence, substance or nature as its Creator.

That way leads to monism, and pantheism, and founded on the argument of Genesis 1:26, is ontologically an error of interpretation.

Thomas

1. DEUTERONOMY 4:35,39 — Unto thee it was shown, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him. (39) Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.
2. DEUTERONOMY 6:4 — Hear, O Israel: The LORD thy God is one LORD. [Note in Mark 12:28-34 how Jesus and a Jewish scribe he encountered understood this text.]
3. DEUTERONOMY 32:39 — See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me:

Yes, I believe in one God.

I think that true consiousness and free will is more subtle then we care to realise.

We always try to justify of our actions in ways that make sense, however take a closer look and they are actually controlled by our emotions and basic nature.

To change a deep emotional state it takes quite a lot of nurture and grooming.

I think it’s a great system, stops us from being pure anarchists, progressing with our limits and harmoniously, also stops the heretics from going way beyond there bounds. I must warn though, tampering with emotions can cause adverse effects.

We always try to justify of our actions in ways that make sense, however take a closer look and they are actually controlled by our emotions and basic nature.

To change a deep emotional state it takes quite a lot of nurture and grooming.

I think it’s a great system, stops us from being pure anarchists, progressing with our limits and harmoniously, also stops the heretics from going way beyond there bounds. I must warn though, tampering with emotions can cause adverse effects.

You can prove that? :)
Exhibit A:
Adolf Hitler: "I am liberating man from the degrading chimera known as `conscience'."​

yeah, hitler was truly a monster with no conscience.

Last edited:
The guy was a monster, but he was groomed by the very people he came out of. Tupac shakur had a great saying, THUGLIFE stands for. The Hate U Give Little Infants F***s Everyone".

For sure... Personally I think the greatest healer above alllll things, above all prophets, above all miracles.. Is time.

For sure... Personally I think the greatest healer above alllll things, above all prophets, above all miracles.. Is time.
i would have to go with justice metted out by the Almighty Himself. nothing would be more gratifying than that. just my thoughts.

Hitler was a chauvinistic psychopath in my view. I don't think he could have been pure evil, he must have done at least some good in his life if even by accident?

Back