Francis king cracks open the Koran

My understanding is that translations of Buddhist scriptures are generally considered to range from poor to atrocious.

Would you be including the Pali Text Society, the Buddhist Publication Society (former President Bhikkhu Bodhi) and the Access to Insight website which utilises (amongst others) material from the Buddhist Publication Society?

I’m not saying it's all sorted…

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/lost-without-translation-7089.html

s.

Hello/Peace/Salaam,
Well, the God The Merciful states in the Holy Qur'an that for some, the Book will be a cure, for others it will drive them further away from it. If God Almighty said it, then it must be true.

Peace :)

Amica peace be upon you,

And I really mean not to cause offense by this next comment but wish to show you an example....

Pancakes with lime and sugar on them.... Some will love them, they will become very much a common meal for them....

Some will not like them, and will avoid them....

I said that... But, it's true.... Am I god? Or am I just making a statement that is clearly obvious?

Hello/Peace/Salaam,
Well, the God The Merciful states in the Holy Qur'an that for some, the Book will be a cure, for others it will drive them further away from it. If God Almighty said it, then it must be true.

Peace :)

It's medicine to me :)

Which forum are we in? Abrahamic religions? What is also a divine remedy to my soul is the Book of Certitude.

Peace be to all of you,

Well, I only meant to say that God did not intend the Holy Qur'an to be accepted by everyone and we Muslims, according to the Qur'an, should not be depressed about it either. :)

I have a Yusuf Ali translation of the Quran,

I have read bits of it, but in all honesty I just dont think its very good.

I have read and have an opinion on the Koran. It is the most deviously motivated yet overtly implausible book I ever picked up. To be honest without a lot of prior conditioning and social/cultural pressure only a fool would do anything other than throw it away. Its reinforcing techniques especially are as primitive as they come, laughably crude if it were not that so many millions were under the spell. A good example that if you are going to lie, keep them simple.

tao

I have read and have an opinion on the Koran. It is the most deviously motivated yet overtly implausible book I ever picked up.
How does one presume to make inferences about motivations?

To be honest without a lot of prior conditioning and social/cultural pressure only a fool would do anything other than throw it away. Its reinforcing techniques especially are as primitive as they come, laughably crude if it were not that so many millions were under the spell.
Until recently, the literacy rates of some Islamic countries was less than 10%. How would all of these millions of illiterates be under the spell of a book they can't read?

How does one presume to make inferences about motivations?
By knowing about the powerlusting warlord to whom it is universally attributed of course.

Until recently, the literacy rates of some Islamic countries was less than 10%. How would all of these millions of illiterates be under the spell of a book they can't read?
Why do yo think it is so simple? Why do you think it is so full of reinforcements that work best when delivered orally? It was designed for the uneducated and to be preached by the local military commander/preacher.

tao

By knowing about the powerlusting warlord to whom it is universally attributed of course.
Did you speak with this warlord often? At what point did he confide his motivations to you?

It was designed for the uneducated and to be preached by the local military commander/preacher.
Based on the number of paper stores and libraries in Islamic Cordova and other Islamic centers of civilization, the effort to keep the masses ignorant was a dismal failure. These places were magnets for scholars from Europe, which was languishing in the dark ages as the Church headed up such notable scientific advances as flat earth doctrine. Scholars flocked to Islamic centers of civilization because they wanted to be part of Islamic society. That's where their talents were valued.

The world's oldest university is still operational functioning. It's the Islamic university in Fez, Morocco, aka the Qarawiyyin. It's over 1100 years old, and was founded by princess Fatima al-Fihri. Interestingly, fundamentalist Muslim states like Saudi Arabia have state schools to ensure universal education.

My suggestion to you is that you pick up a book on the history of Islamic societies that was written by a real historian rather than some hack orientalist with an agenda.

firstly... it's very like the Bible... I'm recognising passages and sentences which I recognise as being part of the New Testament, and secondly, I am suprised to find I am nodding in agreement, as a lot of it's ideas about God seem the same as mine... yet- before I go out and bag myself an Imam and a jilbab (joking, joking) I have to say that I am only on the first chapter...

will come bk here later on in the week, with my questions...

cheerio for now

Salam Francis King,

Normally, when we choose to read a book, we do that for special reasons such as finding certain answers to some questions that are really worrying us. My advice to you is to write down the questions that you wish to find answers to, then start reading the Quran to find what it says. Afterwards, you can start comparing what the Quran says to others religious texts. Hence, you can build a logic evaluation towards the Quran, far from any personal or subjective response.

To be honest without a lot of prior conditioning and social/cultural pressure only a fool would do anything other than throw it away.

Now that you have met me in real life Tao did I strike you as a fool? I had no previous conditioning!!!

The Quran speaks to who Allah (swt) chooses and alhamdolillah it spoke to me but will not have the dsame effect on everyone that reads it.

The english versions of the Quran are simply translations of the meaning of the Quran, it is impossible to translate accurately. In english it is quite repetative and stunted but in Arabic it flows and is pure poetry.

I think we need a thread to discuss this comment and you can provide your evidences that the Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) was as you describe ...... I shal get my history books ready!!

Back