smoking

hmmm don't know how I misunderstood...
JOHN 17;3 says taking in knowledge of the true God and Jesus christ leads to everlasting life. but the pack of cigs says .... smoking can seriously damage our health ,

JOHN 17;3 says taking in knowledge of the true God and Jesus christ leads to everlasting life. but the pack of cigs says .... smoking can seriously damage our health ,

Everlasting? Forever is a long time without a smoke!! I dont get why some people seem to think forever is a great gift. Seems to me most people cant even fill this brief life with anything but mundane existence.. an eternity of that is surely the greatest Hell imaginable.

Tao

Everlasting? Forever is a long time without a smoke!! I dont get why some people seem to think forever is a great gift. Seems to me most people cant even fill this brief life with anything but mundane existence.. an eternity of that is surely the greatest Hell imaginable.

Tao
its good that the bible promises greater things than this imperfect life we have right now, the bible does not promise everlasting life in an inperfect world or body , it promises everlasting life in a paradise earth and a perfect body, with no inherited sin atached to it . the bible does not say that we will be living for ever in a mundane existence .
The new world will be a world without end because "to the abundance of the princely rule and to peace there will be no end." (Isaiah 9:7)
But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,​
And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.psalm 37;11
(Matthew 5:5) "Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth.
(Revelation 21:3) With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: "Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them.

Governments and the medical profession do well in issuing warnings. But the final result depends on the individual. As the Bible says: "The way of the foolish one is right in his own eyes, but the one listening to counsel is wise." (Proverbs 12:15) Are you listening?

if i am a slave to the bible it is good to know that putting the bible and its ways into pratice leads to everlasting life.

You don't $"%"£$%" know that though lol! YOU HOPE that is what will happen lol... You do not, do not, know that :)

WHAT DOES IT SAY ON THE PACK?;)

Who cares? :) I enjoy it ;) Maybe it will bring me everlasting life! Who knows?

Governments and the medical profession do well in issuing warnings. But the final result depends on the individual. As the Bible says: "The way of the foolish one is right in his own eyes, but the one listening to counsel is wise." (Proverbs 12:15) Are you listening?
Yes, I am listening...two questions...

A number of religions and denominations consider committing suicide a sin. So what is the JW take on that....if you know that smoking cigarettes will take your life prematurely...is that suicide and a mortal sin?

Second, if not do you think that one will be coughing and hacking for all eternity? I mean isn't your concept that we will not have these earthly issues? So if so, and I enjoy a smoke....what's not to like?

A number of religions and denominations consider committing suicide a sin. So what is the JW take on that....if you know that smoking cigarettes will take your life prematurely...is that suicide and a mortal sin?

Second, if not do you think that one will be coughing and hacking for all eternity? I mean isn't your concept that we will not have these earthly issues? So if so, and I enjoy a smoke....what's not to like?

Wil.... JW's are PRO life... To kill yourself is frowned upon lol.... If you are suicidal or something they ain't gonna look at you like "FREAKING SINN0R!" They would try to help, but death solves nothing right.... So they do not accept suicide as a way to die.... They are prepared to die... (blood transfusions? And such.) But you cannot kill yourself... Irony eh? That they would rather kill themselves then take blood... But to kill yourself cause you stained your bib or broke a toy or lost someone in your life or whatever.... Isn't good enough reason.

its good that the bible promises greater things than this imperfect life we have right now, the bible does not promise everlasting life in an inperfect world or body , it promises everlasting life in a paradise earth and a perfect body, with no inherited sin atached to it . the bible does not say that we will be living for ever in a mundane existence .
The new world will be a world without end because "to the abundance of the princely rule and to peace there will be no end." (Isaiah 9:7)
But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,​
And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.psalm 37;11
(Matthew 5:5) "Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth.
(Revelation 21:3) With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: "Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them.

Without sin? I take it there will be no opportunity to enjoy vices in this paradise then. So its not paradise, its a boring eternal stewing in the kind of glossy pictures of the Watchtower. Paradise is not perfection and perfection is not paradise. When you fall in love with someone it is often their little imperfections that emphasise time and again how much you adore them. When you fall in love with a place it will be in spite of its deficiencies. And each of us as well as falling in love can equally fall out of love. If eternity is a stasis of perfection it is a dead place devoid of the dynamics that make life worth living. I think the picture you paint on behalf of JW naive wishful thinking. There are some that say you get what you expect, I hope for your sake that whatever it is, if anything, its a bit more fun than an endless picnic in some impossibly idyllic meadow.

Tao

I used to smoke a packet of 30 a day. One day I got the flu and just couldnt stop coughing, not even to light up. boy, was I pissed. I threw out the half a packet I had left and that was it. I'm not saying that anyone else should do it like I did. Or even if they should give up smoking. I still feel like a smoke when I have a drink, though and if someone was around that smoked, I'd probably bum one off them , who knows. If you want to give up, do it. If you dont, then dont. preaching to people about giving up things that they obviously enjoy is only going to fall on deaf ears.

Another thing, a friend of mine in her 50s was diagnosed with aggressive lung cancer recently. She was obviously upset and came to see me before her surgery. I was not surprised that she had cancer and as sshe was still smoking I told her that I was amazed that she was surprised as well. You know, the old story, she has smoked (various things probably) all her life, a packet a day, blah blah. I said, well. yeah of course you have lung cancer. Now to be perfectly honest with you, we have always been very blunt with each other and I ;think this has made our friendship strong. She said that she asked the doctor if she should give up smoking now and he said, oh well, the damage has been done!!!!!!!!!!! I was pissed by what this so called professional ahd told her. my message to her was, as long as you are breathing, you are alive. She had a choice to give up smoking and fight this cancer or give up. Yes, she is still around, not smoking eating healthy but she has some pretty nasty scars on her front and back. It was her choice, not mine, not her doctors. all Im saying is , if you wanna smoke, go ahead, you all know the dangers, so dont be surprised. love the grey

I used to smoke a packet of 30 a day. One day I got the flu and just couldnt stop coughing, not even to light up. boy, was I pissed.

See everyone is different, I currently have a cold and still fitter than all I know..... And -trust- me, I be a heavy smoker.......

If you want to give up, do it. If you dont, then dont. preaching to people about giving up things that they obviously enjoy is only going to fall on deaf ears.

Every, every single time... It makes you want to do naughty things to the person trying to PUSH their whiney lil opinon and views on you........ Very naughty....

Another thing, a friend of mine in her 50s was diagnosed with aggressive lung cancer recently. She was obviously upset and came to see me before her surgery. I was not surprised that she had cancer and as sshe was still smoking I told her that I was amazed that she was surprised as well. You know, the old story, she has smoked (various things probably) all her life, a packet a day, blah blah. I said, well. yeah of course you have lung cancer. Now to be perfectly honest with you, we have always been very blunt with each other and I ;think this has made our friendship strong. She said that she asked the doctor if she should give up smoking now and he said, oh well, the damage has been done!!!!!!!!!!! I was pissed by what this so called professional ahd told her. my message to her was, as long as you are breathing, you are alive. She had a choice to give up smoking and fight this cancer or give up. Yes, she is still around, not smoking eating healthy but she has some pretty nasty scars on her front and back. It was her choice, not mine, not her doctors. all Im saying is , if you wanna smoke, go ahead, you all know the dangers, so dont be surprised. love the grey

May of sounded harsh, but the doctor has to be honest lol... He cannot tip toe around or make things seem better/worse than they are... He has to be professional... Sorry to hear about your friend.

You don't $"%"£$%" know that though lol! YOU HOPE that is what will happen lol... You do not, do not, know that :)

JOHN 17;17
your word is truth

(John 6:68) Simon Peter answered him: "Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life;:)

lol........ :rolleyes: I can post quotes of "truth" from a good source too... A minister.... An INFORMATION minister...... Of Iraq! :D All true comments...

"There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"

"My feelings - as usual - we will slaughter them all"

"Our initial assessment is that they will all die"

"I blame Al-Jazeera - they are marketing for the Americans!"

"God will roast their stomachs in hell at the hands of Iraqis."

'We have destroyed 2 tanks, fighter planes, 2 helicopters and their shovels - We have driven them back."

"Surrender or be burned in their tanks."

"No I am not scared and neither should you be!"

"We have them surrounded in their tanks"

Britain "is not worth an old shoe."

Of U.S. troops: "They are most welcome. We will butcher them."

"We will welcome them with bullets and shoes."

"Washington has thrown their soldiers on the fire"

"These cowards have no morals. They have no shame about lying"

"They're not even [within] 100 miles [of Baghdad]. They are not in any place. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion ... they are trying to sell to the others an illusion."

"They do not even have control over themselves! Do not believe them!"

"Faltering forces of infidels cannot just enter a country of 26 million people and lay besiege to them! They are the ones who will find themselves under siege. Therefore, in reality whatever this miserable Rumsfeld has been saying, he was talking about his own forces. Now even the American command is under siege."

"They tried to bring a small number of tanks and personnel carriers in through al-Durah but they were surrounded and most of their infidels had their throats cut."

"We made them drink poison last night and Saddam Hussein's soldiers and his great forces gave the Americans a lesson which will not be forgotten by history. Truly."

"On this occasion, I am not going to mention the number of the infidels who were killed and the number of destroyed vehicles. The operation continues"

"We're giving them a real lesson today. Heavy doesn't accurately describe the level of casualties we have inflicted."

JW dont smoke, we feel it goes against bible princibles.

lol........ :rolleyes: I can post quotes of "truth" from a good source too... A minister.... An INFORMATION minister...... Of Iraq! :D All true comments...

quote]
i know whos sayings i prefer.(John 6:68) Simon Peter answered him: "Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life;:)
(Hebrews 4:12) For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints and [their] marrow, and [is] able to discern thoughts and intentions of [the] heart.

He was asking about suicides..... Your view? Oh let's have a cut and paste from the watchtower!! OH! DO LET'S! :D
if you must :D i could even start on the AWAKE MAG
"The Bible’s Viewpoint: Suicides—A Resurrection?" .....(Awake September 8, 1990)
Only God can fully understand the role of mental sickness, extreme stress, even genetic defects, in a "suicidal crisis,"

If you want to serve God, and are trying to give up smoking , pray for help. Our loving Creator can provide "help at the right time" for those who are striving to bring their lives into harmony with his will. (Hebrews 4:16) But don’t expect a miracle. You must act in harmony with your prayers. BEST TO PRAY WHEN YOU CRAVE THE CIG , not after you have had one .

I think you can learn much reading certain books.
But can harm yourself and others so much by smoking.

I use to smoke.
I suppose I gave up by trying to better myself.
By praying and studying the Bible and reading the early Church fathers.

I started to care about my health, and eat healthy and exercise.

I suppose even wanting to have self control.

I suppose you could think about the effects it can have on others, which I have to be honest, I didn't have, and wasn't what motivated me to give up smoking, these thinks didn't enter my mind.

But you could think how any disease you may develope from it may effect your loved ones.

I saw a video on youtube not long ago, thorugh the eyes of the children of a woman who had cancer.

I think it's very wrong to smoke around any one else, you don't know what you could do to them by passive smoking.
I never gave this any thought though when I use to smoke.
But you have these new laws today, which may force on us that consideration, I at least hope so, and think the governement has done some good with these new laws.

I'd like to see the age limit go up a year every year.
It would become ilegal then for the next generation to smoke and for cigarettes to be sold gradually, without making people who already smoke criminals.

For surely none of us want anybody to start smoking do we?

I know this is contraversial but this is what I think:

Cigarettes are NOT addicting. If you want to quit, just quit. Don't buy into this propaganda that they're hard to quit. Sure, people develope a TOLERANCE to nicotine, and if they suddenly stop they'll go through physical withdrawal, but isn't that no worse than having a cold for 3 days? I mean, come. on.

I know this is contraversial but this is what I think:

Cigarettes are NOT addicting. If you want to quit, just quit. Don't buy into this propaganda that they're hard to quit. Sure, people develope a TOLERANCE to nicotine, and if they suddenly stop they'll go through physical withdrawal, but isn't that no worse than having a cold for 3 days? I mean, come. on.

Was this how it was when you quit then?

Back