The Sacred Feminine

Chris has seen me flame their tails off on the various interfaith forums we've frequented over the past several years, so he'll vouch for me on that score!

I haven't yet been able to find an interfaith site with an online community as good as the one here at CR, but.....I haven't really been looking either.:eek: Care to list a few for me? I know CR isn't going to last forever, so......I better find an alternative somewhere.

One of the reasons for my lack of success seems to be that there's a lot of flaming in other interfaith sites. There's either a lot of rude comments exchanged by people with opposing views, or you get comments that are exclusivist and characteristic of fundamentalism. People bashing each other or disparaging beliefs that are different to their own. It just blows non-adherents away. It blows me away. I don't want to have a discussion at a site where I'm just going to be shot down. People there just seem to be undisciplined. Sometimes I wonder.....shouldn't a moderator be saying something?

Having a "democracy" and "free speech" is good and I can understand if sites don't censor or discourage bad behaviour or have standards for reasonable behaviour relaxed. But there's a point where things just run amok. I think part of the reason is that other sites often encourage debate. That usually causes problems.

Maybe I'm just used to the way things work at CR and I'm just intolerant of an interfaith culture in other sites? Is my sentiment justified? I'm a customer right? I don't believe the customer is wrong in this case. I value the experience here. This is what I want. As long as this site exists, if the experience isn't as good at other sites, I'm not compelled to go to them!!!:D

I've got no intention of idealising CR, if there's another site with a good interfaith culture, I might explore that one. It's just that at the moment, there seems to be a lot of flaming and rudeness in other places.

It could be that here people actually try to connect and get to know each other. Know any other sites where they do that? I'd be interested.:)

There was never any such thing as a culturally unique group of "Hebrews" who arrived from outside Palestine to displace the indigenous inhabitants and establish a pristine theology of their own making.
that's a pretty categorical statement to make considering it can't possibly be substantiated. and why on earth would a group create a culture based upon a myth in which they are invading outsiders? surely it would be better to make out that they'd never left!

as for "culturally unique", the exodus group had *many* hang-overs and hangers-on from egypt with them, known as the "mixed multitude". and as for the syncretism, it's the major concern of the prophets in the period of the judges and kings.

b'shalom

bananabrain

that's a pretty categorical statement to make considering it can't possibly be substantiated.
True, my bad. Let me rephrase: There is no substantial evidence which correlates the biblical account with the archaeological record or the balance of recorded history. The Bible is many things, but history isn't one of those things.

and why on earth would a group create a culture based upon a myth in which they are invading outsiders? surely it would be better to make out that they'd never left!
That's a very good question. The real answers are far more fascinating than the mythology.

as for "culturally unique", the exodus group had *many* hang-overs and hangers-on from egypt with them, known as the "mixed multitude". and as for the syncretism, it's the major concern of the prophets in the period of the judges and kings.
There is no good evidence of the exodus, the conquest of Canaan, the period of the Judges, or any of that other stuff including the united monarchy. We know who the Israelites were, they became the Samaritans. What we're really talking about is a brief period of Judahite history which occurred much later than the Bible portends. What we have is a record of the theological propaganda from that period.

Sorry man. I know Jews, Christians, and Muslims have a lot invested in biblical psuedo-history.

Chris

there's a substantive difference between that and saying, on one's own authority, "i don't feel like doing that any more because it doesn't make sense to me". we said in the Torah na'aseh ve-nishm'a, "we shall do and we shall understand" - in that order. judaism is first and foremost a religion of action, not theology. first we do what we do and then we work out why it has meaning for us. but, certainly, the reform movement (but not the conservative) movement takes this position.

BB,

I guess it goes without saying that I take the Reform position. Basically I have no use for arguments from authority, and if something doesn't make sense to me I'm not going to believe it, let alone act on it. This is the same approach I take when reading the Bible, including those passages from the prophets you referred to earlier--the ones railing against the fertility cult of the Canaanites and equating it with idolatry and sinfulness. All of that is just too arbitrary to be convincing to me. It all comes across like propaganda and a top-down attempt to impose what amounts to an official state cult on what was essentially a folk religion.

The only beneficiaries I can think of for that kind of propaganda campaign would be the Levitical priesthood. I don't know why the prophets would be involved in something like that, considering that they weren't part of the power structure. In any case it's hard to believe the female judges like Deborah would have been all that zealous about suppressing goddess worship. And we know that in the period of Joshua and Judges there were female judges and prophets. The Bible may be silent about a lot of things, but we know the role of women was much less restricted during that period than than it became later on.

I have what you might call a very "modern" understanding of idolatry. Since nobody I've ever met is actually stupid enough to worship "the work of their own hands," (a physical thing) I have a hard believing anyone was EVER that stupid, even in the earliest historical periods we have any record of at all. They were worshipping or expressing gratitude to whatever deity--or aspect of deity--that statue represented for them, pretty much the same as the Catholics and Hindus still do. I have some serious unanswered questions about that famous golden calf episode, but that's for another post.

OTOH I've run into a lot of people who are absolutely convinced that their conception of God actually *IS* God, and even people who "worship" a particular translation of the Bible, if you can believe that. There is no way of convincing these people that what they are "worshipping" and "obeying" are merely their own projections, especially not when "God" is telling them to give in to their lowest impulses. Because that sort of thing can have such horrible repercussions for their relationships with people of other religions and even other other denominations within the same religion, I take it a lot more seriously.

I think I've said enough to make it clear that I still take a very "Reform" approach to the commandments, to the Bible and everything in it. I admit that not everything I do or believe is entirely rational, even by my own standards. I still believe the Exodus story is based upon *SOME* kind of historical truth, although the account of it is heavily mythologized, and also clearly self-promoting on the part of the Aaronic priesthood. I even believe, on some level and in some way, in the revelation at Sinai--although I'm the first one to admit there is no rational basis for that. It's more of an intuitive thing with me--or maybe simply a part of the "Chosen People" mythos I'm not ready to toss on the junk pile yet?

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I wish the Jewish Renewal movement would stop using the word "postdenominational." It's overly optimistic, to the point of being a euphemism. "Nondenominational" is a better word for what they mean. Not only are the old denominational lines still in effect, they seem to be getting harder than ever these days. In fact, from what you and others have told me, there seems to be a full-blown schism developing between the Modern Orthodox and the haredim. But you'd know more about that than I do.

b'shalom,
Linda

chris,

there's no need to be patronising. "pseudo-history", forsooth. no, the bible isn't "history" in the academic sense, but in the sacred, spiritual sense. and i don't think you can necessarily lay claim to having "the real answers", as you put it, because academia doesn't deal in reality, but in probability and hypotheses - and, in this case, i think you're casting aspersions with no real cause.

China Cat Sunflower said:
We know who the Israelites were, they became the Samaritans.
what rot. the samaritans were an immigrant group encouraged to move to "samaria", as it became known, by the assyrians. there is ancient bad blood between us and them due to the fact that a) they attempted to sabotage the building of the second Temple and b) they changed their beliefs in order to suck up to whoever was running things at the time, so there is an ongoing argument in Talmudic times about whether they constitute proper jews or not for purposes of marriage. this argument would not be taking place if there was any doubt about who were the jews and who weren't. so, all this "the samaritans are the real jews" stuff seems to me to be constructed in order to further a most unpleasant piece of historical revisionism - of course, if they are the "real jews", then who are we? interlopers? impostors? surely the fact that the jews are the jews is proved by the fact that we're *still* the
jews and they've *always* been the samaritans. what a piece of historical calumny this is and how entirely consistent with how they were supposed to have behaved back then.

Raksha said:
Basically I have no use for arguments from authority, and if something doesn't make sense to me I'm not going to believe it, let alone act on it.
surely one of the hallmarks of belief is that it doesn't necessarily *have* to make sense?

All of that is just too arbitrary to be convincing to me. It all comes across like propaganda and a top-down attempt to impose what amounts to an official state cult on what was essentially a folk religion.
well, it's hardly top-down if the king and court are also succumbing to the temptations of the local folk beliefs. it is interesting to see how an apparently powerless group like the prophets managed to prevail over the often institutionally corrupt priesthood and court... without popular support, too, apparently! certainly the priesthood are just as often criticised.

In any case it's hard to believe the female judges like Deborah would have been all that zealous about suppressing goddess worship.
why not, if it was wrong? is this some kind of argument based on the idea that sisters wouldn't diss other sisters, or something? that's the ethics of the playground, not of adults.

And we know that in the period of Joshua and Judges there were female judges and prophets. The Bible may be silent about a lot of things, but we know the role of women was much less restricted during that period than than it became later on.
indeed - in fact, this is one of the reasons the sages considered the buy-in of women to be crucial for getting people on-board with halakhic innovation. there are seven prophetesses listed in the tradition, or so i am given to understand. i personally blame the greeks, it all went a bit tits-up once that bunch of misogynists got their fingers into the intellectual pie - although there are even some towering later figures such as gluckel of hamelin and dona gracia mendes.

Since nobody I've ever met is actually stupid enough to worship "the work of their own hands," (a physical thing) I have a hard believing anyone was EVER that stupid, even in the earliest historical periods we have any record of at all.
i don't follow your reasoning. nobody i've ever met is actually stupid enough to think that black people aren't human beings, yet that particular piece of arrant nonsense was once a widespread popular notion.

They were worshipping or expressing gratitude to whatever deity--or aspect of deity--that statue represented for them, pretty much the same as the Catholics and Hindus still do.
hence the position of the me'iri (france, C12th) who maintained that "idolatry is not about statues" - it wasn't the statue itself that was the problem, but what people did to worship it; human sacrifice, anyone?

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I wish the Jewish Renewal movement would stop using the word "postdenominational." It's overly optimistic, to the point of being a euphemism."
you see, now you've made me crack up laughing. there have been times when i've described myself as post-denominational, but only in the sense that i'm not at all interested in having a futile argument about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. i think labels are important, but only insofar as they're useful. once they stop being useful, you get into "bacon bagel" territory.

In fact, from what you and others have told me, there seems to be a full-blown schism developing between the Modern Orthodox and the haredim. But you'd know more about that than I do.
hmmm... i don't know if i'd say schism exactly, i'd say it was more like a greater willingness and courage to turn round and say, look, mr beardy black-hat, you may be able to get through a daf of gemara a day, but where's your derech eretz? where's your sense of mission? and why are you sneering at *me* when it's *my* tzedaka paying for you to study when you should be earning a living? as i am fond of putting it:

rabbi akiva HAD A JOB.
rashi HAD A JOB.
rambam HAD THREE JOBS.
now GET THE HELL OUT THERE AND MAKE A LIVING, because, as it says in the mishnah, "he who does not teach his son to make a living TEACHES HIM THEFT." and, furthermore, "without Torah, there is no bread, but without bread, there is no Torah".

*bows*

ithenkyow.

b'shalom

bananabrain

all this "the samaritans are the real jews" stuff seems to me to be constructed in order to further a most unpleasant piece of historical revisionism - of course, if they are the "real jews", then who are we? interlopers? impostors? surely the fact that the jews are the jews is proved by the fact that we're *still* the jews and they've *always* been the samaritans.

BB,

Wow, it looks like there's a very basic misunderstanding here! Chris was making a distinction between *Judea* and *Israel," the north kingdom, meaning his reference to "Israelites" was to be understood as referring to the people of that kingdom who intermarried with the Assyrians--and we know they did, because recent DNA tests prove it. The Samaritans show DNA evidence of Israelite fathers and Assyrian mothers. I'll see if I can track down the link where I found this information and post it here.

I don't think Chris was using the word "Israelite" in the broader sense meaning the Jewish people collectively, or implying that the descendants of Judah and Levi are *NOT* "the true Israel"! I'm familiar with the "British Israelite" garbage and similar pseudo-historical garbage and it's just that. I don't like it any better than you do, but I think you fell into a little bit of knee-jerk defensiveness there!

BTW, I have no quarrel with the Samaritans whatsoever. I also can't understand the kind of petty mindset that wants to keep a feud going for well over 2000 years! I don't care if they intermarried with the Assyrians or if they still stubbornly insist that Mount Gerazim and not Jerusalem is the proper place to worship. They are NOT going to change their minds at this late date! Even if they really did sabotage the building of the Second Temple, it's time to let bygones be bygones. We all know what happened to the Second Temple anyway.

So yeah, they are Jews--Samaritan Jews, just like they always have been. That hardly makes US imposters! WHY anyone would want to lose sleep over something that ridiculous is beyond me.

B'shalom,
Linda

A quick correction to my previous post, since the editing period has expired:
So yeah, they are Jews*--Samaritan Jews, just like they always have been.
*I was using the word "Jews" in this context in the broadest possible sense, meaning "adherent of the Jewish religion." Obviously the Samaritans don't belong to the tribe of Judah, but that was my whole point! The word "Jew" usually has a broader meaning than that.

--Linda

P.S. Genetic info on the Samaritans: Reconstruction of patrilineages and matrilineages ...[Hum Mutat. 2004] - PubMed Result

Israel was a small, extended city state centered in Samaria when it capitulated to Sargon II of Assyria in 722 BCE. He deported part of the population of Samaria and conscripted other of it's inhabitants into his cavalry. He reorganized the town and made it the seat of a new Assyrian province with one of his officers as it's governor. Any autonomous integrity or sovereignty Israel may have had was systematically destroyed, but the Samaritans continued as a small highland society within the Assyrian empire.

Jerusalem was a small city of no more than 5,000 or so until Sennacherib, in the process of putting down a local rebellion sponsored by the competitor cities of Lachish and Ekron, destroyed Lachish in 701 BCE. The entire populace of Lachish was deported, and with it's competitor out of the way Jerusalem was able to extend it's influence. With Assyrian support Jerusalem eventually became the regional capital of Judah. By the mid seventh century Jerusalem had a population of 25,000 or more. In 597 Jerusalem surrendered to Nebuchadnezzar. The King and the court were deported along with most of the skilled craftsmen and intelligentsia. The city itself was just a speed bump in the Babylonians push toward Egypt. But in 588 when Jerusalem resisted, probably under the influence of Egypt, the Babylonian army laid siege to the city. Two years later the city fell, and Judah ceased to exist as an autonomous entity.

Alexander III reached Egypt in 331 and India in 336. Alexander's goal was to integrate the Persian empire and support the development of the Greek form of cities. He combined Syria and Palestine into a new Persian province with Samaria as it's capital. After Alexander had finished building Alexandria as an intellectual and political center for the eastern Mediterranean territories he deported the power elite from Samaria and transported them to Alexandria, while replacing them in Samaria with Macedonians similarly deported and forcibly resettled. This is where we first run into "Jews" outside of the Bible's narrative. And these Jews were thoroughly hellenized.

Contrary to popular mythology, Jews never resisted Greek culture. Jewish culture developed as an asiatic expression of hellenism. It embraced, and was itself transformed in its enthusiasm for hellenist humanism, universalism, and literary expression. Jewish centers of learning rivaled those of the Greeks themselves, and Jewish philosophy and discursive arts achieved a level of sophistication on a par with Greek traditions centered on Homer and Plato. This was no exclusivist, ethnocentric monotheism.

Alexander died, Greek control faded, and Palestine reverted to it's old role as a land bridge between Egypt and Asia. It once again became disputed territory between Egypt on the south and Antioch and Babylon to the north. Jerusalem in the south sided with Alexander's successors, the Ptolemies in Alexandria, but Samaria threw in with the Seleucids. In 198 BCE the Seleucids defeated the Ptolemies and assumed control of Palestine. They immediately set out to utterly destroy what remained of the Palestine-Egyptian axis in order to consolidate control over the region. But after their defeat at the hands of the Romans at the battle of Magnesia in 190, the Seleucid's control over Palestine was severely weakened and the Egypt took advantage of the situation to begin to reassert its political and economic interests in Jerusalem.

The Seleucids were naturally pissed that Egypt was once again interferring in lower Palestine, so Antiochus IV sent a punitive expedition down south to punish and arrest Jerusalem's pro-Egyptian sympathizers. The backlash created a pro-Ptolemaic uprising. The Maccabees embellished the populist appeal of their cause with nationalistically motivated anti-Seleucid violence and ethnic cleansing. This was presented in the tradition as an effort to save true custom and religion from the "outsiders." Egypt's Roman allies, who were expanding their interests eastward to control the Mediterranean shipping lanes, supported the Maccabees. With Rome's patronage, the first indigenous state over the region was created in 165 BCE. The effect of the ideological propaganda created to fuel the Maccabean rebellion against the Seleucids, that of nationalistic particularism and ethnic identification through rejection of all things Greek, as caricaturized by the hated Antiochus, essentially created a Taliban-ized version of Judaism, now recast as a theocratic, ethnically particular, exclusivist monotheism.

Chris

I nabbed off a ton of different sources to write this.

In any case it's hard to believe the female judges like Deborah would have been all that zealous about suppressing goddess worship.

why not, if it was wrong? is this some kind of argument based on the idea that sisters wouldn't diss other sisters, or something? that's the ethics of the playground, not of adults.

BB,

It is NOT the "ethics of the playground" and I'm very offended that you trivialized my position that way. I was referring to what’s likely to be true, assuming that Deborah was an actual person living at that period. Let me remind you that the name of this topic is "The Sacred Feminine." Now either there is a valid and legitimate expression of the Sacred Feminine, by women and for women, within Judaism or there is not!

Either women are just as much--not "almost" as much but just as much created in the image of God as men are or they are not. Which is it? I can't stand the apologetic line that goes something like this: "Oh yes, goddess worship and fertility rituals are natural and understandable enough, but you still shouldn't do those things because God said so. As a matter of fact, if you participate in such things you are an abomination and deserving of death. Because God said so."

That kind of an argument is just too arbitrary and authoritarian (not to mention cruel and inhuman) to be convincing, and also shamelessly self-serving on the part of MEN!

I haven't read The Hebrew Goddess which you mentioned earlier, but I"ve heard nothing but good things about it and it's definitely going on my reading list.

B'shalom,
Linda

Contrary to popular mythology, Jews never resisted Greek culture. Jewish culture developed as an asiatic expression of hellenism. It embraced, and was itself transformed in its enthusiasm for hellenist humanism, universalism, and literary expression. Jewish centers of learning rivaled those of the Greeks themselves, and Jewish philosophy and discursive arts achieved a level of sophistication on a par with Greek traditions centered on Homer and Plato. This was no exclusivist, ethnocentric monotheism.

Chris,

I'm pretty sure you know this already, but this seems like as good a time as any to let BB and everyone know I've been in love with Hellenistic culture ever since I read The Alexandria Quartet (a series of four novels by Lawrence Durrell) when I was in my late teens. There was a deep and immediate sense of affinity that only became stronger over the years, to the point where I consider Alexandria my true spiritual home, even more than Jerusalem.

You'll never hear me bad-mouth Hellenism or consider it decadent, with the sole exception of the enforced top-down "loyalty oath" worship that is the basis for the Chanukah story. The Romans were also famously known for forcing that kind of thing on the Jews and Christians. I'd have a hard time even pretending to worship an egomaniac emperor as a god! I'd only go along with that if my life were in danger, but even then I'd choke on it.

Thanks for a wonderful job of research and synthesis. That post is definitely a keeper!

--Linda

Raksha said:
Chris was making a distinction between *Judea* and *Israel," the north kingdom, meaning his reference to "Israelites" was to be understood as referring to the people of that kingdom who intermarried with the Assyrians--and we know they did, because recent DNA tests prove it. The Samaritans show DNA evidence of Israelite fathers and Assyrian mothers.
perhaps a slight miscommunication. the samaritans spoken of at the time of "classical" sources of judaism", ie about 500 years later, would be the descendants of these "imported" assyrians, who did of course intermarry with the local israelites (those that weren't deported to assyria as part of the "ten lost tribes") - hence there would be an issue about whether they counted as jews or not for the technical purpose of marriage. moreover, if they subsequently *also* intermarried with the seleucids, this would further drive a wedge between them and those who remained traditionally-minded.

however, the bad blood between them and us was on account of their true loyalty to assyria, which caused them to side with our enemies against us and modify their beliefs away from those of the original israelites - their position on gerizim vs jerusalem was therefore a case in point; they modified the agreed position that jerusalem was the unified capital of all twelve tribes, as it was under david and solomon, in favour of moving the capital and the approved sacrificial location, thus perpetuating the tragic schism between the northern and southern kingdoms. this clearly appears to be a case of political convenience over religious principle, as otherwise they would have been perceived by the assyrians as siding with the southern kingdom of judah over that of their *real* compatriots, the assyrians. they chose a side - and the side they chose was *not* the jewish one. as we can see, it might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but where are the assyrians nowadays? it seems that you've actually provided exactly the historical evidence to bear out the jewish sources on this and for this i must thank you.

Contrary to popular mythology, Jews never resisted Greek culture.
again with the categorical statements. it is strange how you view historical documents (such as philo or josephus) that disagree with your point of view, to say nothing of discounting the clear objections found in the classical jewish sources. if hellenism was quite so uncontroversial as you state, it seems strange that a popular uprising should gain any support.

Jewish culture developed as an asiatic expression of hellenism. It embraced, and was itself transformed in its enthusiasm for hellenist humanism, universalism, and literary expression.
if by this you are saying that these hellenist outlooks enhanced jewish expressions of humanism, universalism and literary expression, then i suppose you have some case, philo again being a case in point. if, however, you are saying that jewish sources exhibited none of these prior to hellenist influence, i would have to strongly disagree. i'd also have to point at some very, very chauvinist and xenophobic positions in greek thought ("barbarians", anyone? how about the "aristoi"? women as "men with breasts"?) which were *not* reflected in jewish universalism, to say nothing of jewish personal morality.

Jewish centers of learning rivaled those of the Greeks themselves, and Jewish philosophy and discursive arts achieved a level of sophistication on a par with Greek traditions centered on Homer and Plato. This was no exclusivist, ethnocentric monotheism.
you seem to ignore the possibility of monotheism reaching this "level of sophistication" on its own as it does in the Tanakh and the classical rabbinic texts. in other words, the jews would have been a bunch of peasant thickies without the greeks. and this i cannot accept. jewish "centers of learning" already existed throughout the middle east and, to be honest, if you don't appreciate what was taught in them, you have no right to cast such aspersions. another thing you seem quite unaware of is the fact that at the time jews engaged in quite a bit of proselytisation, so it wasn't nearly as "ethnocentric" *or* as "exclusive" as you seem to think; that came centuries later. the issue of hellenisation could only have been exacerbated by the background of the converts, however.

The effect of the ideological propaganda created to fuel the Maccabean rebellion against the Seleucids, that of nationalistic particularism and ethnic identification through rejection of all things Greek, as caricaturized by the hated Antiochus, essentially created a Taliban-ized version of Judaism, now recast as a theocratic, ethnically particular, exclusivist monotheism.
one of the things you may not appreciate, chris, is that the sages actually rather disapproved of the maccabees, in rather similar terms to those you use. this is why the eventual festival of hanukkah emphasised the miracle of the oil rather than the military victories - it was transformed into a spiritual victory instead, in order to avoid glorifying what was essentially also a civil war between the non-hellenised jews and the hellenisers. certainly later on the classical sources have not a lot of nice things to say about the hasmonean dynasty, nor does josephus.

Raksha said:
It is NOT the "ethics of the playground" and I'm very offended that you trivialized my position that way. I was referring to what’s likely to be true, assuming that Deborah was an actual person living at that period.
perhaps i was rather too flippant, sorry. let me restate: what you appear to be saying is that deborah *necessarily* would have been happy with goddess worship, because she was a woman. i personally find that patronising, as if female solidarity were more important than principle. moreover, i fail to see why you are in a position to base this on "what's likely to be true", without giving any evidence. surely if deborah was in a position of power as a judge and prophet, it is unlikely that she gained and maintained it through being soft on the practices that the judges and prophets condemned.

Now either there is a valid and legitimate expression of the Sacred Feminine, by women and for women, within Judaism or there is not!
indeed there is and i am keen to make it so. what you should NOT do, however, is ASSUME that this "valid and legitimate" expression is therefore NECESSARILY the very idolatry of which it is so clear that all the prophets and sages disapproved so vehemently. it's like saying that because islam was run by men, the only way to get back to the historical wellsprings of it is to put the idols back in the ka'aba! that's turning the clock back, not discovering a legitimate expression. you and i may well differ on this, but there is absolutely no future in finding an expression of the Sacred Feminine that alienates the male half of the sketch. can i ask if you've investigated some of the gender-neutral and female expressions of the Divine Name, such as "Ha-MaQOM", "Ha-RaHaMaN" and "E-L ShaDaY"? have you investigated the "royal you" construction which is often used (in sephardic prayer at any rate) to address G!D and addresses the second person in the *female* gender? if you haven't, you should. defaulting back to the very behaviours and short-cuts that characterised the most objectionable tendencies of the biblical israelites is quite simply not a solution; it's the first stop on a very long journey.

Either women are just as much--not "almost" as much but just as much created in the image of God as men are or they are not.
well, "man" was created from mud, after all, whereas "woman" was created from something much more impressive, a proto-human. moreover, the Torah says "in the Divine Image [G!D] Created *them*", so that is beyond dispute.

I can't stand the apologetic line that goes something like this: "Oh yes, goddess worship and fertility rituals are natural and understandable enough, but you still shouldn't do those things because God said so. As a matter of fact, if you participate in such things you are an abomination and deserving of death. Because God said so."
look, linda, "goddess worship" per se cannot be compatible with judaism if it is not clearly seen to be an expression of *monotheism*. we cannot worship "god and mrs god", G!D forbid, because that is quite simply a denial of the Oneness of the Infinite Divine and, moreover, historically, it has always, always led to dualism, just as maintaining that G!D Is only "love", or "good", is a denial of the necessity of stern judgement or evil. it restricts the role of G!D and this cannot be acceptable. surely it would be better if, when G!D "acts", as it were, as Mother or Wife or Lover, to have a vocabulary for that, just as in the case of Father, King or Judge? and why should the latter two even be seen as "male" attributes? and why should men be restricted to the latter expressions and women only to the field of fertility or motherhood. as i often say, moving beyond the "Big Beard In The Sky" mindset requires avoiding replacing it with the "Big Tits In The Earth" - they're both just as simplistic and wrong.

you'll love THG, by the way! and, seeing as you're understandably sensitive on this part, i'd like to apologise in advance for any offence i may give.

b'shalom

bananabrain

look, linda, "goddess worship" per se cannot be compatible with judaism if it is not clearly seen to be an expression of *monotheism*. we cannot worship "god and mrs god", G!D forbid, because that is quite simply a denial of the Oneness of the Infinite Divine and, moreover, historically, it has always, always led to dualism...

BB,

Quick off the top of my head, gut-level answer here: It has NOT led to dualism!!! Never has, never will. Does the Song of Songs lead to dualism? What has always and inevitably led to dualism is seeing light and dark, good and evil as being under the jurisdiction of two opposing gods or forces, without recognizing their hidden or not-so-hidden kinship. It's seeing "heaven" and "earth," that is to say the spiritual and physical, as being opposed or at war with each other.

That probably sounds pretty strange coming from someone with a lifelong attraction to Gnosticism, but I reject the dualism in Gnosticism, i.e. Manichaeanism, every bit as much as I reject it in orthodox Christianity. It's the anti-authoritarian tendency I relate to, as well as the focus on initiation and direct experience.

just as maintaining that G!D Is only "love", or "good", is a denial of the necessity of stern judgement or evil. it restricts the role of G!D and this cannot be acceptable. surely it would be better if, when G!D "acts", as it were, as Mother or Wife or Lover, to have a vocabulary for that, just as in the case of Father, King or Judge?

In the kabbalistic system it's the other way around. It's the "feminine" side of the Tree of Life that is called the Pillar of Severity and is equated with strict justice, and the "masculine" side that is the Pillar of Mercy.

Sometimes you act like you're think I'm in freakin' kindergarten!

--Linda

Everyone,

There's a typo in my last post that unfortunately I can't fix because I'm past the editing period. It should read: "Sometimes you act like you think I'm in freakin' kindergarten!"

Obviously.

--Linda

The effect of the ideological propaganda created to fuel the Maccabean rebellion against the Seleucids, that of nationalistic particularism and ethnic identification through rejection of all things Greek, as caricaturized by the hated Antiochus, essentially created a Taliban-ized version of Judaism, now recast as a theocratic, ethnically particular, exclusivist monotheism.

Chris,

"A Taliban-ized version of Judaism." There is no point in pretending that this hasn't always been a standing danger within Judaism...AS IT STILL IS! The tendency has always been there, and sometimes it gets the upper hand. I don't need to tell you that this is what scares me more than anything.

--Linda

BB,

Neither Philo nor Josephus are reliable sources. One can use them for color and that's about it.

What I wrote reflects a minimalist position. It's a skimpy thumb nail sketch at best. I didn't bother adding any caveats about how this or that is arguable because really, the whole thing is arguable- that's kind of the point. If I stop to work around all the hot button words like Palestine and try to make everyone happy I won't get it written. Just look at it as a kind of stock minimalist position to argue against if you're so inclined. My only motive is to try to figure out what really happened using up-to-date archaeological and historical analysis. Beyond that I don't have an axe to grind. I have no hidden motives or grand conspiracy theory to unveil.

Chris

Well, I do have this theory about gay Chinese Jews trying to take over the world. It's not what you think. More of a gradual process beginning with the Beijing Olympics. A minor prophecy really.

Chris

but I reject the dualism in Gnosticism, i.e. Manichaeanism, every bit as much as I reject it in orthodox Christianity.
I would be interested to know on what impression you consider 'orthodox Christianity' as dualistic.

Thomas

Raksha said:
Quick off the top of my head, gut-level answer here: It has NOT led to dualism!!! Never has, never will.

pantomime answer: ohhh, yes it has!

but seriously, that's a categorical statement too. you can't possibly say it "never" has and "never" will when the first is clearly indicated in scriptural, historical and archaeological sources (a rare case of agreement - here a reading of "the hebrew goddess" will be most helpful) and the second i can contradict from my own experience!

Does the Song of Songs lead to dualism?
there are *controls* on this sort of interpretation. firstly, it may be the Qudsha-Brich-Hu we-Shekhintehh, but the Shekhinah, in this context, is also conflated with the keneseth yisra'el - in other words we, the jewish people are the "female" Beloved and G!D Is the "male" Lover. this, interestingly enough, implies that prayer is some sort of inherently *female* modality, which would certainly explain the common (although by no means universal in traditional prayer) habit of addressing the Divine using masculine pronouns. and, yes, even the SoS can and has led to dualism, when these controls are not applied.

What has always and inevitably led to dualism is seeing light and dark, good and evil as being under the jurisdiction of two opposing gods or forces, without recognizing their hidden or not-so-hidden kinship. It's seeing "heaven" and "earth," that is to say the spiritual and physical, as being opposed or at war with each other.
absolutely. this is why adversarial forms of gender politics are counterproductive. and yes, that is an odd thing for someone who likes gnosticism. but there's a difference between gnosticism and judaism. also, historically, gnostics aren't terribly keen on sex, because the world is the domain of the evil "demiurge", so we're better off restraining ourselves - a position which tends to be ignored by many self-described new-age gnostics. i am not saying that your anti-authoritarian tendencies are a bad thing - in fact, you can back it straight up from the Torah - tzedeq, tzedeq tirdof: "justice, you *must* pursue justice." however, anti-authoritarian is not to be conflated with antinomianism - it is about the pursuit of justice, morality and equity, not merely removing laws for the sake of it.

In the kabbalistic system it's the other way around. It's the "feminine" side of the Tree of Life that is called the Pillar of Severity and is equated with strict justice, and the "masculine" side that is the Pillar of Mercy.
i know this. suffice it to say that i am well aware of the female connection with the left pillar, which is why you get such conceptions as morrigan, kali and athena, all goddesses of war and wisdom. i seem to remember there being a chapter on this in baring and cashford's "the myth of the goddess", which i enjoyed very much in spite of the fact that the bits on judaism were basically lifted from THG without much evidence that they'd understood the context.

i don't know what you know and what you don't know - remember, we don't know each other very well and are early on in the dialogue process. also, the web is a brusque medium and does not convey tone well. obviously you are an intelligent woman with a great deal of life experience and for this you deserve respect. however, i'm addressing the argument, not the person and i'm sure you wouldn't wish for me to sugarcoat my objections.

"A Taliban-ized version of Judaism." There is no point in pretending that this hasn't always been a standing danger within Judaism...AS IT STILL IS! The tendency has always been there, and sometimes it gets the upper hand.
indeed, just as the antinomian/individualist/self-indulgent tendency has always been a standing danger, which has often got the upper hand, as it did in the case of shabbetai tzvi and indeed the reform movement itself! the solution, as i have said elsewhere, is maintaining a *balanced portfolio* within the religious ecosystem. this is in many ways the key lesson of the Tree of Life.

Neither Philo nor Josephus are reliable sources. One can use them for color and that's about it.
they're no less reliable than other historical sources, as long as you are aware of their contexts, strengths and weaknesses. i might rely on josephus for an accounts of how he saw history (or would have liked history to have been) with the caveat of his trying to suck up to his roman audience, but i wouldn't go to him for religious insight. same with philo, he's instructive insofar as insight into the challenges of reconciling plato and other greek philosophy with contemporary judaism was concerned, but not much more. however, i don't see how other sources cannot be challenged on similar grounds.

I didn't bother adding any caveats about how this or that is arguable because really, the whole thing is arguable- that's kind of the point.
it's good of you to say so - the original points appeared to be written as a sort of oracular statement of fact, which was what i was quibbling with.

Thomas said:
I would be interested to know on what impression you consider 'orthodox Christianity' as dualistic.
perhaps the unwarranted magnification of ha-Satan into a sort of rebellious anti-god, as well as the general identification of the world and the flesh with evil and sin, whilst G!D Is restricted to the good and to "love", G!D forbid (contradicting isaiah) so all the good stuff is spiritual and all the bad stuff is physical. come on, thomas, surely you can see this impression might encourage dualism a bit, even if it is an error.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back