Door-To-Door Missionaries

just a note pi, it can abe painful but theraputic to talk about our experiences(whether it be past relationships) it is one of the things that makes us human. Just my 2bobs worth.
That and whole lot more. I'd await the refinement of Q's viewpoint on personal posts and proselytizing before composing anything resembling a Billy Graham sermon. Some people have been banned for it.

Scripture means nothing, unless it has an affect on people's lives...t
very true indeed, Gods word can have a great effect on people . even getting people to promote what it teaches.

What is sharper than any two-edged sword? God’s Word, the Bible,

“For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of the soul and spirit, and of the joints and their marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart.”—Heb. 4:12.

For the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly, but powerful by God for overturning strongly entrenched things. 2 corinthians 10;4

(Ephesians 6:17) Also, accept the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the spirit, that is, God’s word,

yes the word of God the bible has great power indeed , it can change a persons thinking if they let it .

No, you DON'T get it. What good is quoting the BIBLE if there is nothing personal to back up the quotes?

Without Love, Mee, without the personal touch, we're just gongs in the wind.
I would say promoting Gods purpose is the focus, and the messenger is not important at all . but the message is the all important thing, because it is from God .and yes God can even use simple people like mee:) to promote his purpose.

And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin. And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite Daniel 2;44

And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come. matthew 24;13

and yes LOVE is what it is all about .

Now, however, there remain faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”—1 CORINTHIANS 13:13. its love of God and neigbour that makes a person not keep love to themselves , but is sharing love out .
i think i am right in saying that there are Four Kinds of Love
e′ros, , denoting romantic love associated with sex attraction.
stor·ge′the strong family love, or natural affection, based on blood relationship,
phi·li′a, denoting affection (with no sexual overtones) between friends, as between two mature men or women.
What Greek word did Paul use at 1 Corinthians 13:13, where he mentioned faith, hope, and love and said that “the greatest of these is love”? Here the word is a·ga′pe, the same one that the apostle John used when he said: “God is love.” (1 John 4:8, 16) This is a love guided or governed by principle. It may or may not include affection and fondness, but it is an unselfish emotion or feeling concerned with doing good to others regardless of the merits of the recipient or of any benefits accruing to the giver. Love of this kind caused God to give, his only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ, “in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)
Yes, a·ga′pe does good to others regardless of their status in life or the cost to the one expressing the love.
unselfish love (a·ga′pe) is greater than either faith or hope.
Without Love, We Are Nothing

I like you dondi and if I knew it was you knocking on my door Id probably invite y;ou in for a cuppa. Perhaps I could suggest a name badge. I had a couple door knock this week and though I was polite, I suggested this website for their perusal. i dont know if it did much good.

Name badge? I don't need no stinking name badge!

You bring up an interesting point. As we've read each other's posts in these forums, we become somewhat familiar with each other. Such so, that if I were to actually knock on your door, you would be more comfortable in inviting me in for tea. Much more so than if I showed up unannounced some Saturday morning with a bible and tracts in hand. I'm trying to discover ways to alleviate the awkwardness of the "cold contact" of random door knocking. Recently, I've been more prone to call on people who have already visited our church and perhaps have interest in spiritual matters. Or visit co-workers who may have the same interest. It has actually helped me and those we visit feel a bit more comfortable in that there is some common ground we share.

I still don't know what a " cover your own ass " Christian is, please explain?

I'm not saying "stop there, that's the end" or " love Jesus and that's it". No way. We don't just reach a plateau and then stop. I'm not advocating that at all. What I was saying is that if you love Jesus and truly seek him in prayer and repentance, that everything else will come too, God willing.

Cover your own ass Christian- I’m going to heaven, “who cares why, just love Jesus!”

After subsequent posts, I see this view was a little extreme. Sorry. Prayer and repentance are indeed key points. Loving Jesus is just a start; you really need to KNOW Jesus. You can cast out demons in His name, but if there is no reciprocity in knowing, your acknowledgement is for naught.

What I mean by "doom and gloom" preaching is the constant focus on Hell and who is damned and not damned, fire and brimstone, that whole thing.

What you may consider a “constant focus” may just be when you are hearing them. I have heard different preachers say things at times and if that were all I ever heard them say, I wouldn’t want anything to do with them. But at other times, I have heard them preach on love, self-sacrifice, and kindness. You may be catching them at the book of Revelation or parts of the Old Testament and totally missing Romans or Galatians

what is "gongs in the wind?"
Love (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

I guess wind could could replace a gonger thing (?)

Love (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

I guess wind could could replace a gonger thing (?)
yes unselfish love is the thing

I'm trying to discover ways to alleviate the awkwardness of the "cold contact" of random door knocking. Recently, I've been more prone to call on people who have already visited our church and perhaps have interest in spiritual matters. Or visit co-workers who may have the same interest. It has actually helped me and those we visit feel a bit more comfortable in that there is some common ground we share.
I can see where there would be less awkwardness if you remove the cold from the cold contact and utilize your warm list.

A trick/tactic/skill that salesman develop/use is when you are headed to your warm list contact without a phone call you use the rule of 5. You go to the five neighbors, both houses each side next door, and the home across the street and their neighbors. At each you say you were stopping by to drop off some information at your friend/co workers house (pointing to it and dropping the name while holding up your bag of info) and then ask a. if they knew when he/she'd be home and if they had a moment.

A namebadge, something unique that causes someone to laugh or ask a question about it is valuable as well.

Heck sorta fun brainstorming for door knocking missionaries...

If it were me I think I'd hand out 'Get outta Hell free cards' I'd give them the choice, offer up the "Go directly to Hell card, do not pass salvation do not collect redemption" Which card would you like me to leave?

Why do the Witnesses call on people who have their own religion?

In doing this they follow Jesus' example. He went to the Jews. The Jews had their own religion, but in many ways it had turned away from the Word of God. (Matthew 15:1-9) All nations have religions of some kind, whether so-called Christian or non-Christian. It is vitally important for people to hold beliefs that conform to God's own Word, and the efforts of the Witnesses to assist them in doing this constitute a showing of neighbor love.

No, sometimes (no most of the time), you "overload" with so much information, it overwhelms and ultimately turns off the reader.
When one becomes filled with the knowledge of the promised earthly Paradise under Christ's Kingdom, one wants to share it with others. for me when i first saw in the bible that Gods kingdom would sort all of the problems on the earth out, it drew me to the message in the bible , but not everyone rsponds in the same way to the promises in the bible .

And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin. And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite; Daniel 2;44

(Matthew 6:10) Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth.

(John 18:36) Jesus answered: "My kingdom is no part of this world. If my kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be delivered up to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from this source."

yes that heavenly kingdom is the answer to all of the problems on the earth and it is GOODNEWS indeed

And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come. matthew 24;14

the bible motivated me, in to action . the bible has great power indeed it is a very powerful thing indeed

I can see where there would be less awkwardness if you remove the cold from the cold contact and utilize your warm list.

A trick/tactic/skill that salesman develop/use is when you are headed to your warm list contact without a phone call you use the rule of 5. You go to the five neighbors, both houses each side next door, and the home across the street and their neighbors. At each you say you were stopping by to drop off some information at your friend/co workers house (pointing to it and dropping the name while holding up your bag of info) and then ask a. if they knew when he/she'd be home and if they had a moment.

I don't see how that changes anything. You are just as "cold" with the neighbors as you are with the intended receiver.

Besides, we aren't selling anything. We're trying to give it away. So I don't know if saleman ettiquette would come into play. I will say this: people are looking for the catch. The only catch is to consider the message.

A namebadge, something unique that causes someone to laugh or ask a question about it is valuable as well.

The Mormons have apparently cornered that tactic. I don't think I want to be confused with them. We usually introduce who we are right off the bat for that very purpose.

If it were me I think I'd hand out 'Get outta Hell free cards' I'd give them the choice, offer up the "Go directly to Hell card, do not pass salvation do not collect redemption" Which card would you like me to leave?

That would be quite blunt, wouldn't it. There are tracts that exhibit a similiar approach. But I'm in no longer the business of scaring the hell out of people. I feel it misses the larger point of knowing and developing a relationship with God. Oh, don't get me wrong. I believe that separation from God constitutes hell. But the overall picture is not about getting out of hell. It's about the merger of spirit with Spirit in a real relationship that will bring us into the image of Christ. What the first Adam failed to do, the last Adam will accomplish in us. It's not a war against good and bad, but flesh and spirit. And we just can't do it on our own.

Yeah, he'll be wearing shorts and penny loafers. (Does he have to bring a pie?)
Now the pie ain't for the cold calls, it is for the folks that have already visited your church.

I like the sound of the pie brigade.

Wonder if I visited a Rasta church someone would knock on my door with brownies? (oops wrong thread)

Now the pie ain't for the cold calls, it is for the folks that have already visited your church.

Wonder if I visited a Rasta church someone would knock on my door with brownies? (oops wrong thread)
Jehovahs witnesses have good healthy spiritual food matthew 24;45-47 they are fed by Jesus .:)

Cover your own ass Christian- I’m going to heaven, “who cares why, just love Jesus!”

I don't know for sure if I am going to Heaven, but I sure hope I do.

After subsequent posts, I see this view was a little extreme. Sorry. Prayer and repentance are indeed key points. Loving Jesus is just a start; you really need to KNOW Jesus. You can cast out demons in His name, but if there is no reciprocity in knowing, your acknowledgement is for naught.

But if people love Jesus, then they will naturally do everything that comes along with it in time.

What you may consider a “constant focus” may just be when you are hearing them. I have heard different preachers say things at times and if that were all I ever heard them say, I wouldn’t want anything to do with them. But at other times, I have heard them preach on love, self-sacrifice, and kindness. You may be catching them at the book of Revelation or parts of the Old Testament and totally missing Romans or Galatians

In my church, it is forbidden to read from Revelation during Liturgy.

Regular brownies or special brownies?

Back