What is a soul?

The soul- less man = anti-Christ?

Soul is God's Spirit in us, or rather what we became when God created us? "breathed into his nostrils, and man became a living soul" All things are from God, right? He's the creator, and we are the created. What about the the soul - less man? Did he/it come from God also?

Am I thinking too much, Q?

Hi Br.James,
God is the Author of all Creation.

Our heavenly Father also allowed for the existence of "creative" beings- that's where evil comes in.

The schools of anti-Christ dominate the student into a conciliatory agreement, that damages and weakens the ego of the up and coming soul developing so.

So when a being seeks to change not only the hearts of men but their egohood as well, it is to corrupt the path he has been given and make an alteration which will bear its signature instead. To do this it is then required that the souls who fall under them are willingly obedient and obligingly submissive to the point where they will forfeit themselves for that which they believe to be higher and worthier. Yet there is no trade, no equal trade, for in this the exchange is of soul also, soul to false god who has marked the ego for his own.

The Anti-Christ holds to a false-glamour in everything -appearance is everything! (Remember that.)

The Anti-Christ would not want men to delve into inner truth, "he would rather that they are caught in the fancies and seductions of the material world alone, and by such it can happen that they shall deny their Christ within and thereby deny Him also".

The Anti-Christ isolates and then attacks.

When men cease to commune with other like souls, they leave themselves also. Christ brings us to Him, and to our knowledge of our own selves through others. Selflessness in this true sense (not selflessness for gain of a greater ego superimposed upon our own) is there that we shall have the support of each other's Christ qualities as well. Those which will lead us into manhood fully pronounced and glorious, one to be defended and to be guarded as the most precious gift of Him as well as of self….and to know God.

God Bless,
Br.Bruce

All quotes from a Lodge of Christian Teachers

Hi Br.James,
God is the Author of all Creation.

Our heavenly Father also allowed for the existence of "creative" beings- that's where evil comes in.

The schools of anti-Christ dominate the student into a conciliatory agreement, that damages and weakens the ego of the up and coming soul developing so.

The Anti-Christ holds to a false-glamour in everything -appearance is everything! (Remember that.)

The Anti-Christ would not want men to delve into inner truth, "he would rather that they are caught in the fancies and seductions of the material world alone, and by such it can happen that they shall deny their Christ within and thereby deny Him also".

The Anti-Christ isolates and then attacks.

When men cease to commune with other like souls, they leave themselves also. Christ brings us to Him, and to our knowledge of our own selves through others. Selflessness in this true sense (not selflessness for gain of a greater ego superimposed upon our own) is there that we shall have the support of each other's Christ qualities as well. Those which will lead us into manhood fully pronounced and glorious, one to be defended and to be guarded as the most precious gift of Him as well as of self….and to know God.

God Bless,
Br.Bruce

All quotes from a Lodge of Christian Teachers

That is all a little over my head, so I'll have to let it be [for now]. Thank you, tho! :) I will learn more as I grow in maturity, but for now, I need to rely on the Spirit to show me the way. I do enjoy the contemplations, tho.

Thank you!

Love,

James

Hello, brother Gatekeeper

Actually, you remind me of myself three years ago when I was wholy preocuppied about the world of metaphysics:What is soul?whatis spirit? from which we are made?how can we reach happiness without having full knowledge of ourselves?
At the beginning, i read a lot about Freud.I was satisfied about the id, the ego, and the super ego.But, afterwards, I discovered how his views are incomplete and full of gaps.He said:there is no religion....man has to submit to his desires, and give them an outlet....man has to ignore his super ego because it embodies the authority of parents and society. Freud made human being an animal who lives after his desires without any limits....He simply ignored the spiritual side of the human being....Freud has skinned man from spirituality because he didnt believe in it...
So, after Freud, I moved to look at the human soul in the Quran...I have found amazing informations that have satisfied my heart and mind...I would like to share it with you...
The human psyche is divided into three: the soul, the heart and the spirit.
The soul
the soul is the totality of our sentiments,emotions, feelings and charaters.It is personslity.So, we differ in the soul, but the spirit is the same in all of us.It is the soul that makes mistakes, and not the Spirit.
the Quran has identified three stages of the human soul(it is one soul, but it has degrees): annafs al-ammara(the commanding soul), annafs alawwama(the reproaching soul), and annafs almotmainah(the peaceful soul)
a)annafs al-ammara is the soul which asks people to do evil deeds and it represents the negatve impulses. this degree of the soul is mentioned in the Quran(12:53). through the Quran,we deduce that there are different kinds of deives inside the commanding soul.These derives have been divided by some Muslim scholars into two categories: the satanic drives and the animalistic drives. the satanic drives include envy, jeoulosy, over anger, mercilessness, and arrogance.the animalistic drives, on the other hand, includ sexual desires, killing,cruelty,and looking for domination,presidency and power.
B)anafs alawwama is the reproaching soul. It is the soul which reproaches us when we do something wrong or bad.this degree of the soul is mentioned in th Quran(57:2).When the soul witnesses this degree, it is the stage when"the soul feels conscious of evil, and resists it, asks for God's grace and pardon after repentance and tries to amend,it hopes to reach salvation"(Yusif Ali)
C)anafs almotmaina is, according to Yusuf Ali, a well-known Muslim scholar,\"the highest stage of all, when it achieves full rest and satisfaction". in reality, this degree of the soul is the wish of everybody. it is the stage when one feels the beautiful sense of satisfaction and content.to obtain this state of the soul, the individual has to controle his/her commanding soul, and strenghen his/her reproaching soul.
The heart
in Islam, the heart is the starting point for improving one's pdychological state.the prophet(pbuh) asserts in a hadith that there is an organ in our bodies,if it is polluted then all our deeds are good.if not, then our deeds are polluted. this organ is the heart.
For Sahrawrdi, another Muslim scholar, the heart is created out both th esoul and the spirit.in accordance to heart's relation to the soul or the spirit, Sohrawardi divides heart into three types:the deteriorating heart, the hesitating heart, and the supporting heart. the deteriorating heart is the one which inclines towards the commanding soul.the hesitating heart is not fully attached to neither the soul nor the spirit. the supporting heart is the one which inclines to the spirit.Therefore, Sohrawardi urges that one'destiny of happiness or sadness is determined according to one's heart's direction
God says:"Do they not travel through the land, so that their hearts (and minds) may thus learn wisdom and their ears may thus learn to hear?truly it is not their eyes that are blind, but their heart which are in their breasts(22:46)"
the Spirit
the spirit is the most important aspect in our bodies. it is the essence of life. For Alghazali, another Muslim scholar, the Spirit is "the knowing and the percieving power in man."
It is God's breath into us. Actually, to get this degree of eminence towards the spirit is not a very easy task. some scholars called the human soul when it gets to this degree anafs almolhama (the inspiring soul).
in sum, the more we educate our souls,purify our hearts,activate our Spirit, the nearer we get to God and the happier we become.

This is the summary of my research....it is dense,and I hope I havent confused you...I hope it makes some sense to you, and clarify what was vague

with my best wishes, Gatekeeper
your sister DB

You do? lol Ok. Then why do you keep coming back here to get a "recharge"? :D Surely this place is providing something of a benefit to you...
i dont know why I keep coming back either. Maybe Im a glutton for punishment. :D Ill keep asking and you keep answering and maybe Ill find the answer I want. I still have trouble with the basics so Ill guess Ill be around a while. ;):D

Hello, brother Gatekeeper

Actually, you remind me of myself three years ago when I was wholy preocuppied about the world of metaphysics:What is soul?whatis spirit? from which we are made?how can we reach happiness without having full knowledge of ourselves?
At the beginning, i read a lot about Freud.I was satisfied about the id, the ego, and the super ego.But, afterwards, I discovered how his views are incomplete and full of gaps.He said:there is no religion....man has to submit to his desires, and give them an outlet....man has to ignore his super ego because it embodies the authority of parents and society. Freud made human being an animal who lives after his desires without any limits....He simply ignored the spiritual side of the human being....Freud has skinned man from spirituality because he didnt believe in it...
So, after Freud, I moved to look at the human soul in the Quran...I have found amazing informations that have satisfied my heart and mind...I would like to share it with you...
The human psyche is divided into three: the soul, the heart and the spirit.
The soul
the soul is the totality of our sentiments,emotions, feelings and charaters.It is personslity.So, we differ in the soul, but the spirit is the same in all of us.It is the soul that makes mistakes, and not the Spirit.
the Quran has identified three stages of the human soul(it is one soul, but it has degrees): annafs al-ammara(the commanding soul), annafs alawwama(the reproaching soul), and annafs almotmainah(the peaceful soul)
a)annafs al-ammara is the soul which asks people to do evil deeds and it represents the negatve impulses. this degree of the soul is mentioned in the Quran(12:53). through the Quran,we deduce that there are different kinds of deives inside the commanding soul.These derives have been divided by some Muslim scholars into two categories: the satanic drives and the animalistic drives. the satanic drives include envy, jeoulosy, over anger, mercilessness, and arrogance.the animalistic drives, on the other hand, includ sexual desires, killing,cruelty,and looking for domination,presidency and power.
B)anafs alawwama is the reproaching soul. It is the soul which reproaches us when we do something wrong or bad.this degree of the soul is mentioned in th Quran(57:2).When the soul witnesses this degree, it is the stage when"the soul feels conscious of evil, and resists it, asks for God's grace and pardon after repentance and tries to amend,it hopes to reach salvation"(Yusif Ali)
C)anafs almotmaina is, according to Yusuf Ali, a well-known Muslim scholar,\"the highest stage of all, when it achieves full rest and satisfaction". in reality, this degree of the soul is the wish of everybody. it is the stage when one feels the beautiful sense of satisfaction and content.to obtain this state of the soul, the individual has to controle his/her commanding soul, and strenghen his/her reproaching soul.
The heart
in Islam, the heart is the starting point for improving one's pdychological state.the prophet(pbuh) asserts in a hadith that there is an organ in our bodies,if it is polluted then all our deeds are good.if not, then our deeds are polluted. this organ is the heart.
For Sahrawrdi, another Muslim scholar, the heart is created out both th esoul and the spirit.in accordance to heart's relation to the soul or the spirit, Sohrawardi divides heart into three types:the deteriorating heart, the hesitating heart, and the supporting heart. the deteriorating heart is the one which inclines towards the commanding soul.the hesitating heart is not fully attached to neither the soul nor the spirit. the supporting heart is the one which inclines to the spirit.Therefore, Sohrawardi urges that one'destiny of happiness or sadness is determined according to one's heart's direction
God says:"Do they not travel through the land, so that their hearts (and minds) may thus learn wisdom and their ears may thus learn to hear?truly it is not their eyes that are blind, but their heart which are in their breasts(22:46)"
the Spirit
the spirit is the most important aspect in our bodies. it is the essence of life. For Alghazali, another Muslim scholar, the Spirit is "the knowing and the percieving power in man."
It is God's breath into us. Actually, to get this degree of eminence towards the spirit is not a very easy task. some scholars called the human soul when it gets to this degree anafs almolhama (the inspiring soul).
in sum, the more we educate our souls,purify our hearts,activate our Spirit, the nearer we get to God and the happier we become.

This is the summary of my research....it is dense,and I hope I havent confused you...I hope it makes some sense to you, and clarify what was vague

with my best wishes, Gatekeeper
your sister DB

This was a very insightful, and helpful post. Thank you for taking the time, and caring enough to write it out for me. I feel that it comes from your heart, and for that I am appreciative. :)

I am not troubled usually, as I have come to accept [for the most part] that there is only so much that I can know I am searching, but we can't always hit the mark, can we? That being said, my spirit has found refuge in the Love of God, and my soul is on the journey to that state of contentment.

My biggest problem right now is that I'm not sure what's going to happen on this earth. Will we ever learn to live in peace? That is my want, DB. I want all mankind to live through the Love of God, bound together -united. I find myself wanting, and maybe even seconed guessing my creator. Why? I need to just humble myself, and simply trust that He knows what He's doing.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. It has been a pleasure to feel your heart, DB. :)

Thank you,

Love

James

Can anyone define soul in simple terms, as to make it an easier concept for me to understand? :eek:

Rather spookily James, this is on the very page of the book that I am just reading:

“A soul is an immaterial and conscious entity (a substance that is not physical), which resides in the physical body of a (human) being; it is the truest and deepest identity of that being; makes that being alive at the start; and – being itself immortal – continues to exist after that physical being is dead. All other things about that physical being may change in the course of its life, but the soul is unchanging and lasts beyond that life. Usually, the soul is seen as coming from or having been created by God. This non-material substance animates the body and directs it through the mind; in Western philosophy, the mind is often taken to be the soul itself, or an instrument of the soul. The soul acts through the body, and together with mind and body, constitutes a person. Eventually, whatever happens to the body, the person’s deeds are the responsibility of the soul, to which all moral qualities attach and which therefore faces the consequences of those deeds.”

-Chakravarthi Ram-Prasad: Eastern Philosophy.

s.

My biggest problem right now is that I'm not sure what's going to happen on this earth. Will we ever learn to live in peace?

James
its good to know that Jehovah the most high has everything in hand , and his purpose for the earth will come to be .

But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace. psalm 37;11

“Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth. matthew 5;5

With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”revelation 21;3-4

Didn't medical science once do a test to weigh the human body before death and immediately after death and determined that the body lost weight (by a miniscule amount) & concluded that that might be the soul leaving the body?
No. Did you get this lunatic falsehood from some e-mail that Christians circulate among themselves?

God has blessed me with much wisdom, and I am grateful. This my understanding:

The Greek word "psyche" is translated as "soul" in the new testament. Your soul is your personality; it's your thoughts, your emotions, and your will.

Humans are made in the image of God who is Father, Son, Holy Spirit. We are our body, spirit, and soul. Our body carries us through the physical world, our soul deals with our emotions, our spirit connects us to God. God made man so He could live in us, and that's what our spirit is for (for the Bible reveals that God is spirit). Sin killed our human spirit (spiritual death), but because of Jesus' sacrifice our spirit is born again to life by the power of God, and the Holy Spirit actually lives in us (takes up residence in our rejuvenated spirit).

Jesus, the Son, is like our body: He is the physical, human embodiment of God. The Father is like our soul: He is the thought behind everything; everything Jesus did was according to the Father's will. The Holy Spirit is God living in us, our connection to God.

I hope that was coherent enough :)

The Soul—Is It You? Or Is It in You?

DO YOU think you have an immortal soul that survives when you die? Most people with any religious background, whether Christian, Muslim, Jew, Shinto, Buddhist or Hindu, share this one basic idea. But why do they believe it? Because they have proof? Or because it has always been taught that way by most religions and by popular hearsay? How, in fact, did the immortal soul idea get into "Christian" teaching?

"Christian theology has become so fused with Greek philosophy that it has reared individuals who are a mixture of nine parts Greek thought to one part Christian thought."

For example, Plato, a Greek philosopher of the fourth century B.C.E., wrote: "The soul is immortal and imperishable, and our souls will truly exist in another world!"

WHAT A MIX

Plato was convinced that he had an immortal soul. And his teachings soon began to convince others who revered him as a philosopher.

The Bible translator William Tyndale (c. 1492-1536) wrote in the foreword to his translation: "In putting departed souls in heaven, hell, or purgatory you destroy the arguments wherewith Christ and Paul prove the resurrection . . . If the soul be in heaven, tell me what cause is there for the resurrection?" That is a logical question. If death is defeated by means of an ‘immortal and imperishable’ soul, then what purpose is served by the resurrection that Jesus taught and that the ancient Hebrew patriarchs believed in?—Hebrews 11:17-19, 35; John 5:28, 29.

DO YOU think you have an immortal soul that survives when you die? Most people with any religious background, whether Christian, Muslim, Jew, Shinto, Buddhist or Hindu, share this one basic idea. But why do they believe it? Because they have proof? Or because it has always been taught that way by most religions and by popular hearsay? How, in fact, did the immortal soul idea get into "Christian" teaching?

"Christian theology has become so fused with Greek philosophy that it has reared individuals who are a mixture of nine parts Greek thought to one part Christian thought."

For example, Plato, a Greek philosopher of the fourth century B.C.E., wrote: "The soul is immortal and imperishable, and our souls will truly exist in another world!"

What do you think God meant when he said he "Put eternity in the hearts of men?"(Eccl 3:11)

What do you think God meant when he said he "Put eternity in the hearts of men?"(Eccl 3:11)

Under normal circumstances we want to keep living indefinitely. We want life with no expiration date. There is no indication that animals have such a yearning. They live with no awareness of the future.

humans, unlike animals, are not supposed to die at all— they were created to live forever?

Death was not part of God’s original purpose for mankind. (but we all know what happened dont we?)

(Ecclesiastes 3:11) Everything he has made pretty in its time. Even time indefinite he has put in their heart, that mankind may never find out the work that the [true] God has made from the start to the finish.

Under normal circumstances we want to keep living indefinitely. We want life with no expiration date. There is no indication that animals have such a yearning. They live with no awareness of the future.

Many animals to appear to know when it is time for them to die, and seem content to take what is coming, unlike most humans.

I have no opinion on the immortality of the soul, but I would mention that Jesus once said that in Heaven there is no male and female but all were like angels; also his is reported to have said on the cross "This day you shall be with me in Paradise" (IIRC).

Jesus doesn't seem to have been clear on the afterlife, other than to warn of dire consequences for the wicked. My reading of Acts is that the early Christians expected Jesus to return within a few weeks, or a few years at most, and were deeply disappointed when they started to die before his return.

Jewish tradition for the most part seems to be that we are mortal, pure and simple.

The Celtic Christians apparently thought of their bodies as living within the soul, rather than the other way round. Soul has been translated as "true self", whatever that is. It could be no more than personality, it could be a thing in itself. In a sense that is irrelevant as long as we have a handle to use to describe a person's essential existence.

Cliff

No. Did you get this lunatic falsehood from some e-mail that Christians circulate among themselves?
Actually no. It was a scientific publication (I'm trying to remember the name). Anyway, they got the idea from the Egyptians who described a feather being used to weigh the soul of the dead.

I'll find it, eventually.

v/r

Q

This was a very insightful, and helpful post. Thank you for taking the time, and caring enough to write it out for me. I feel that it comes from your heart, and for that I am appreciative. :)

I am not troubled usually, as I have come to accept [for the most part] that there is only so much that I can know I am searching, but we can't always hit the mark, can we? That being said, my spirit has found refuge in the Love of God, and my soul is on the journey to that state of contentment.

My biggest problem right now is that I'm not sure what's going to happen on this earth. Will we ever learn to live in peace? That is my want, DB. I want all mankind to live through the Love of God, bound together -united. I find myself wanting, and maybe even seconed guessing my creator. Why? I need to just humble myself, and simply trust that He knows what He's doing.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. It has been a pleasure to feel your heart, DB. :)

Thank you,

Love

James

Salam brother,
Actually, it has been a big pleasure to me that you felt my heart.Yes, it came from my heart because I exprienced it.They said what comes from heart gets to heart, and what comes from mouth stays at ears.
let me tell you my impression about you brother Gatekeeper.I felt you are a spiritual, loving creature whom people love being with because of your love and care radiation and aura.

I really appreciate you when you said that your biggest problem is that you arent sure what is going to happen in this earth, and that if we will ever live in peace....how a nice person you are? such questions come only from a caring, sympathic person.

yes, Gatekeeper. It would be God's paradise in earth if pepole live in peace through God' love.

will we ever in peace? yes, we can.But, first we should start with ourselves. How? we should educate our souls. God says in the Holy Quran:"But thy Soul, and the proportionand order given to it,8, And its enlightenment as to its wrong and its right,9,Truly he succeeds that purifies it, 10, And he fails that corrupts it!(91:8-10). Ali Yusuf comments on these verses sayintg:" man should know that his success, his prosperity,his salvation,depends on himself,- on his keeping his soul pure as God made it, and his failure and decline, his perdition depends on his soiling his soul by choosing evil"

Yes, brother, we want all human beings to live peacefully with each other...But, everyone has to strive for that...you can show the way to the others, but you cannot force them to take that way. That's why God Himself said to the prophet Muhammed(pbuh), who was so caring about others' happiness and was sad to witness people choosing other way than God's,:" If it had been thy Lord's Will, they would all have believed,-all who are on earth! wilt thou then compel mankind,against their will, to believe1(10:99). people have to strive for their happiness so that they will be rewarded. Ali Ysuf comments on these verses, saying:" if it had been God's Plan or Will not to grant the limited Free-will that He has granted to man,His omnipotence could have made all mankind alike:all would then have Faith, but that Faith would have reflected no merit on them.In the actual world as it is, man has been endowed with various faculties and capacities, so that he should strive and explore, and bring himself into harmony God's Will.Hence Faith becomes moral achievement, and to resist Faith becomes a sin......people should strive spiritually and let God's Plan work as He wills"

yes, brother, we have to strive to live peacefully with each other through God's love....we should strive and do right, and that's why we are created. God said:" He Who created Death and Life, that He may try which of you is best in deed: and He is the Exalted in Might, Oft-Forgiving,-(67:2:)"

your want,Gatekeeper, is simple and great....so great...we can live peacefully and through God's love if everyone strives for being with God in all his deeds...Thus, we can live peacefully and lovingly as our purpose is one: God's satisfaction and pleasure.

May God bless you, brother Gatekeeper
your sister DB

Soul

Definition: In the Bible, “soul” is translated from the Hebrew ne′phesh and the Greek psy·khe′. Bible usage shows the soul to be a person or an animal or the life that a person or an animal enjoys. To many persons, however, “soul” means the immaterial or spirit part of a human being that survives the death of the physical body. Others understand it to be the principle of life. But these latter views are not Bible teachings.

“Soul” and “Spirit”—What Do These Terms Really Mean?

WHEN you hear the terms “soul” and “spirit,” what comes to your mind? Many believe that these words mean something invisible and immortal that exists inside us. They think that at death this invisible part of a human leaves the body and lives on. Since this belief is so widespread, many are surprised to learn that it is not at all what the Bible teaches. What, then, is the soul, and what is the spirit, according to God’s Word?

“SOUL” AS USED IN THE BIBLE

First, consider the soul. You may remember that the Bible was originally written mainly in Hebrew and Greek. When writing about the soul, the Bible writers used the Hebrew word ne′phesh or the Greek word psy·khe′. These two words occur well over 800 times in the Scriptures, and the New World Translation consistently renders them “soul.” When you examine the way “soul” or “souls” is used in the Bible, it becomes evident that this word basically refers to (1) people, (2) animals, or (3) the life that a person or an animal enjoys. Let us consider some scriptures that present these three different senses.

People. “In Noah’s days . . . a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.” (1 Peter 3:20) Here the word “souls” clearly stands for people—Noah, his wife, his three sons, and their wives. Exodus 16:16 mentions instructions given to the Israelites regarding the gathering of manna. They were told: “Pick up some of it . . . according to the number of the souls that each of you has in his tent.” So the amount of manna that was gathered was based upon the number of people in each family. Some other Biblical examples of the application of “soul” or “souls” to a person or to people are found at Genesis 46:18; Joshua 11:11; Acts 27:37; and Romans 13:1.

Animals. In the Bible’s creation account, we read: “God went on to say: ‘Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls and let flying creatures fly over the earth upon the face of the expanse of the heavens.’ And God went on to say: ‘Let the earth put forth living souls according to their kinds, domestic animal and moving animal and wild beast of the earth according to its kind.’ And it came to be so.” (Genesis 1:20, 24) In this passage, fish, domestic animals, and wild beasts are all referred to by the same word—“souls.” Birds and other animals are called souls at Genesis 9:10; Leviticus 11:46; and Numbers 31:28.

Life as a person. Sometimes the word “soul” means one’s life as a person. Jehovah told Moses: “All the men who were hunting for your soul are dead.” (Exodus 4:19) What were Moses’ enemies hunting for? They were seeking to take Moses’ life. Earlier, while Rachel was giving birth to her son Benjamin, “her soul was going out (because she died).” (Genesis 35:16-19) At that moment, Rachel lost her life. Consider also Jesus’ words: “I am the fine shepherd; the fine shepherd surrenders his soul in behalf of the sheep.” (John 10:11) Jesus gave his soul, or life, in behalf of mankind. In these Bible passages, the word “soul” clearly refers to life as a person. You will find more examples of this sense of “soul” at 1 Kings 17:17-23; Matthew 10:39; John 15:13; and Acts 20:10.

A further study of God’s Word will show you that nowhere in the entire Bible are the terms “immortal” or “everlasting” linked with the word “soul.” Instead, the Scriptures state that a soul is mortal, meaning that it dies. (Ezekiel 18:4, 20) Therefore, the Bible calls someone who has died simply a “dead soul.”—Leviticus 21:11.

THE “SPIRIT” IDENTIFIED

Let us now consider the Bible’s use of the term “spirit.” Some people think that “spirit” is just another word for “soul.” However, that is not the case. The Bible makes clear that “spirit” and “soul” refer to two different things. How do they differ?

Bible writers used the Hebrew word ru′ach or the Greek word pneu′ma when writing about the “spirit.” The Scriptures themselves indicate the meaning of those words. For instance, Psalm 104:29 states: “If you [Jehovah] take away their spirit [ru′ach], they expire, and back to their dust they go.” And James 2:26 notes that “the body without spirit [pneu′ma] is dead.” In these verses, then, “spirit” refers to that which gives life to a body. Without spirit, the body is dead. Therefore, in the Bible the word ru′ach is translated not only as “spirit” but also as “force,” or life-force. For example, concerning the Flood in Noah’s day, God said: “I am bringing the deluge of waters upon the earth to bring to ruin all flesh in which the force [ru′ach] of life is active from under the heavens.” (Genesis 6:17; 7:15, 22) “Spirit” thus refers to an invisible force (the spark of life) that animates all living creatures.

The soul and the spirit are not the same. The body needs the spirit in much the same way as a radio needs electricity—in order to function. To illustrate this further, think of a portable radio. When you put batteries in a portable radio and turn it on, the electricity stored in the batteries brings the radio to life, so to speak. Without batteries, however, the radio is dead. So is another kind of radio when it is unplugged from an electric outlet. Similarly, the spirit is the force that brings our body to life. Also, like electricity, the spirit has no feeling and cannot think. It is an impersonal force. But without that spirit, or life-force, our bodies “expire, and back to their dust they go,” as the psalmist stated.

Speaking about man’s death, Ecclesiastes 12:7 states: “The dust [of his body] returns to the earth just as it happened to be and the spirit itself returns to the true God who gave it.” When the spirit, or life-force, leaves the body, the body dies and returns to where it came from—the earth. Comparably, the life-force returns to where it came from—God. (Job 34:14, 15; Psalm 36:9) This does not mean that the life-force actually travels to heaven. Rather, it means that for someone who dies, any hope of future life rests with Jehovah God. His life is in God’s hands, so to speak. Only by God’s power can the spirit, or life-force, be given back so that a person may live again.

How comforting it is to know that this is exactly what God will do for all of those resting in “the memorial tombs”! (John 5:28, 29) At the time of the resurrection, Jehovah will form a new body for a person sleeping in death and bring it to life by putting spirit, or life-force, in it. What a joyful day that will be!

“Soul” and “Spirit”—What Do These Terms Really Mean?

WHEN you hear the terms “soul” and “spirit,” what comes to your mind? Many believe that these words mean something invisible and immortal that exists inside us. They think that at death this invisible part of a human leaves the body and lives on. Since this belief is so widespread, many are surprised to learn that it is not at all what the Bible teaches. What, then, is the soul, and what is the spirit, according to God’s Word?

“SOUL” AS USED IN THE BIBLE

First, consider the soul. You may remember that the Bible was originally written mainly in Hebrew and Greek. When writing about the soul, the Bible writers used the Hebrew word ne′phesh or the Greek word psy·khe′. These two words occur well over 800 times in the Scriptures, and the New World Translation consistently renders them “soul.” When you examine the way “soul” or “souls” is used in the Bible, it becomes evident that this word basically refers to (1) people, (2) animals, or (3) the life that a person or an animal enjoys. Let us consider some scriptures that present these three different senses.

People. “In Noah’s days . . . a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.” (1 Peter 3:20) Here the word “souls” clearly stands for people—Noah, his wife, his three sons, and their wives. Exodus 16:16 mentions instructions given to the Israelites regarding the gathering of manna. They were told: “Pick up some of it . . . according to the number of the souls that each of you has in his tent.” So the amount of manna that was gathered was based upon the number of people in each family. Some other Biblical examples of the application of “soul” or “souls” to a person or to people are found at Genesis 46:18; Joshua 11:11; Acts 27:37; and Romans 13:1.

Animals. In the Bible’s creation account, we read: “God went on to say: ‘Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls and let flying creatures fly over the earth upon the face of the expanse of the heavens.’ And God went on to say: ‘Let the earth put forth living souls according to their kinds, domestic animal and moving animal and wild beast of the earth according to its kind.’ And it came to be so.” (Genesis 1:20, 24) In this passage, fish, domestic animals, and wild beasts are all referred to by the same word—“souls.” Birds and other animals are called souls at Genesis 9:10; Leviticus 11:46; and Numbers 31:28.

Life as a person. Sometimes the word “soul” means one’s life as a person. Jehovah told Moses: “All the men who were hunting for your soul are dead.” (Exodus 4:19) What were Moses’ enemies hunting for? They were seeking to take Moses’ life. Earlier, while Rachel was giving birth to her son Benjamin, “her soul was going out (because she died).” (Genesis 35:16-19) At that moment, Rachel lost her life. Consider also Jesus’ words: “I am the fine shepherd; the fine shepherd surrenders his soul in behalf of the sheep.” (John 10:11) Jesus gave his soul, or life, in behalf of mankind. In these Bible passages, the word “soul” clearly refers to life as a person. You will find more examples of this sense of “soul” at 1 Kings 17:17-23; Matthew 10:39; John 15:13; and Acts 20:10.

A further study of God’s Word will show you that nowhere in the entire Bible are the terms “immortal” or “everlasting” linked with the word “soul.” Instead, the Scriptures state that a soul is mortal, meaning that it dies. (Ezekiel 18:4, 20) Therefore, the Bible calls someone who has died simply a “dead soul.”—Leviticus 21:11.

THE “SPIRIT” IDENTIFIED

Let us now consider the Bible’s use of the term “spirit.” Some people think that “spirit” is just another word for “soul.” However, that is not the case. The Bible makes clear that “spirit” and “soul” refer to two different things. How do they differ?

Bible writers used the Hebrew word ru′ach or the Greek word pneu′ma when writing about the “spirit.” The Scriptures themselves indicate the meaning of those words. For instance, Psalm 104:29 states: “If you [Jehovah] take away their spirit [ru′ach], they expire, and back to their dust they go.” And James 2:26 notes that “the body without spirit [pneu′ma] is dead.” In these verses, then, “spirit” refers to that which gives life to a body. Without spirit, the body is dead. Therefore, in the Bible the word ru′ach is translated not only as “spirit” but also as “force,” or life-force. For example, concerning the Flood in Noah’s day, God said: “I am bringing the deluge of waters upon the earth to bring to ruin all flesh in which the force [ru′ach] of life is active from under the heavens.” (Genesis 6:17; 7:15, 22) “Spirit” thus refers to an invisible force (the spark of life) that animates all living creatures.

The soul and the spirit are not the same. The body needs the spirit in much the same way as a radio needs electricity—in order to function. To illustrate this further, think of a portable radio. When you put batteries in a portable radio and turn it on, the electricity stored in the batteries brings the radio to life, so to speak. Without batteries, however, the radio is dead. So is another kind of radio when it is unplugged from an electric outlet. Similarly, the spirit is the force that brings our body to life. Also, like electricity, the spirit has no feeling and cannot think. It is an impersonal force. But without that spirit, or life-force, our bodies “expire, and back to their dust they go,” as the psalmist stated.

Speaking about man’s death, Ecclesiastes 12:7 states: “The dust [of his body] returns to the earth just as it happened to be and the spirit itself returns to the true God who gave it.” When the spirit, or life-force, leaves the body, the body dies and returns to where it came from—the earth. Comparably, the life-force returns to where it came from—God. (Job 34:14, 15; Psalm 36:9) This does not mean that the life-force actually travels to heaven. Rather, it means that for someone who dies, any hope of future life rests with Jehovah God. His life is in God’s hands, so to speak. Only by God’s power can the spirit, or life-force, be given back so that a person may live again.

How comforting it is to know that this is exactly what God will do for all of those resting in “the memorial tombs”! (John 5:28, 29) At the time of the resurrection, Jehovah will form a new body for a person sleeping in death and bring it to life by putting spirit, or life-force, in it. What a joyful day that will be!

A body is simply a shell, which houses the Spirit within. However, your definition of "soul" as "life" as opposed to spirit or persona is in conflict with passages you yourself present: "Animals. In the Bible’s creation account, we read: “God went on to say: ‘Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls and let flying creatures fly over the earth upon the face of the expanse of the heavens.’ And God went on to say: ‘Let the earth put forth living souls according to their kinds, domestic animal and moving animal and wild beast of the earth according to its kind.’ And it came to be so.” (Genesis 1:20, 24) In this passage, fish, domestic animals, and wild beasts are all referred to by the same word—“souls.” Birds and other animals are called souls at Genesis 9:10; Leviticus 11:46; and Numbers 31:28."

By combining the word "living" with the word "soul" suggests the negation of the soul as being life but rather some "thing" that is alive.

Now perhaps, there are three items needed for a physical being to be Godly made, and alive, or animation in a corporial body: Soul, Life-force, and Spirit.

Soul being the "spark" from God, which maintains a charge that can keep the Life-force energized, thus allowing the corporial body to contain the Spirit within this physical world's confines, or boundries.

Through the body's ability to amplify the spark from the Soul into the energy of Life-Force, Life-Force then maintains the health and strength and animation of the body, while containing the Spirit within that animated body.

If a body, loses enough of its internal vital functions, Life-force can not be amplified enough to maintain the animation, health and strength of the body, and the body fails, which causes Life-Force to cease, which causes the Spirit to be released, and the Soul or spark from God, either remains with the body or is also released to return to God.

If the argument is that the Soul is from God, then the Soul is not immortal (though it can remain dormant with the body, like a capaciter with no means to discharge it's stored potential).

The Spirit however, is the essence of the individual that was housed in the body, and essence is energy, hence is not destroyed, only changed. If it goes back to God then the Spirit is contained by God. If however the Spirit does not go back to God it is considered lost, or worse - without containment, it can diffuse into the cosmos, to the point of irretrievability (except by God).

The Bible, want's us to "think" and ponder these wonders, hence not everything is cut and dry, nor does it maintain one level of comprehensibility throughout its pages. Indeed, as the chapters progress, so does the need for man's knowledge to increase, in order to fully understand the completeness and complexity that is the Word of God.

v/r

Q

Dictionary defines soul as: 1: the immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life2 a: the spiritual principle embodied in human beings, all rational and spiritual beings, or the universe.

I was under the impression that a soul is that part of us that makes us aware of life, but I'm not sure now. I suppose it could be the essence of life, but I thought that was Spirit, lol. I'm a little confused about it all, is all....

Can anyone define soul in simple terms, as to make it an easier concept for me to understand? :eek:

Also, do you think souls are eternal, and if you do, from where do you get this view?

Much thanks,

James

This is how it was explained to me as a child and I continue to use it to explain to others.

When a loved one dies... you see their body.. you know its an empty shell with no life in it.. you know that something is missing.. the part of them that is their personality... the part that made them unique and different from everyone else... that is the soul.

When people get old and their body slows down gets tired and is broken... they still have that soul that yearns to express itself in their personality... the soul isnt tired and old.. just the body.

Hope that helps :)

This is how it was explained to me as a child and I continue to use it to explain to others.

When a loved one dies... you see their body.. you know its an empty shell with no life in it.. you know that something is missing.. the part of them that is their personality... the part that made them unique and different from everyone else... that is the soul.

When people get old and their body slows down gets tired and is broken... they still have that soul that yearns to express itself in their personality... the soul isnt tired and old.. just the body.

Hope that helps :)
The "soul" is that which God dreamed of, well before He stitched us together in our mother's womb. In otherwords, we were alive and whole in God's mind, before we took on corporial form.

Psalms...

v/r

Q

Back