What is a soul?

This is how it was explained to me as a child and I continue to use it to explain to others.
:confused: But have you learned more since?

When a loved one dies... you see their body.. you know its an empty shell with no life in it.. you know that something is missing.. the part of them that is their personality... the part that made them unique and different from everyone else... that is the soul.
Sounds good. Makes sense but unfortunately incorrect. A personality is part of learned character. But if you bumped your head, or had an illness that affected your memory, all that would change. As all memories of events are part of your body.

When people get old and their body slows down gets tired and is broken... they still have that soul that yearns to express itself in their personality... the soul isnt tired and old.. just the body.

Some 'yes', but others 'no' ............. many of the wise, love to share what wisedom they learned. That is natrual and good but then others are not as such and too busy still worrying about self preservation.

A soul is what you leave upon existence. Each and every act and imposition you cause while in physical life, is your soul. Almost like your wake upon the water of life. If your wake supports life to continue even when the boat stops, then you did good. See Darwin, JC, Newton, Confucious.... they each left the building and returned to mother earth, but alive just the same within their gifts to our species. So when you buy a pair of cool shoes ask yourself, are they what I want left on earth when I 'leave the building'?

Nobody here knew what i was talking about,
I say nobody really knew what I was talking about,
She had diamonds on the soul of her shoes.....
Diamonds on the soles of her shoes.

Loved ones who care for the victims of Alzheimers disease commonly report that they are living with a stranger in the body of someone they once knew. Clearly our personality, which is our individual essence, can depart before death occurs. It proves there is no soul but just bioelectrical machinery responsible for who we are.

But, and its no small but, Bashadi is right, its what we leave in our wake that gives us any possibility of maintaining a presence after the machine has passed away. Supernatural beliefs in an afterlife are just romantic mechanisms of denial over our own mortality.

Tao

Echoing Tao_E. Too much coffee can make you angry and unforgiving, but drinking water makes your outlook relatively positive. Not enough sleep can cause forgetfulness. Damage to particular parts of the brain will damage particular parts of your personality -- which in turn will affect other parts.

Echoing Tao_E. Too much coffee can make you angry and unforgiving, but drinking water makes your outlook relatively positive. Not enough sleep can cause forgetfulness. Damage to particular parts of the brain will damage particular parts of your personality -- which in turn will affect other parts.
Are we discussing the mechanism of the body, or the experience that is associated with the body? In otherwords, the body (a machine), registers stimuli. But what of the conscious experience that goes with that registry of stimuli? It is a non-physical phenomenon, yet we do experience something, and we remember that experience. Furthermore, we can recall that experience and relive the emotion that that experience generated. And we can do that at will, or else have it forced upon us. So for a moment, we are able to live in that time and that expeirience, though it has long passed.

We do not understand the dibilitating results of the body's ability to respond to stimuli. All we know is that the person trapped within the malfunctioning body, can not express themselves as you or I can (under normal conditions). But that does not qualify a dibilitated person as a "non entity", simply because they can no longer react to the world as we expect them to. It simply means they no longer have the mechanisms to interact with the outside world (that is you and I, and their surroundings). Their character isn't gone, it still exists (since we know that energy can not be created nor destroyed). And sometimes it breaks free of the confines placed upon it, and shocks those that love that person, which generates hope. Hope is not something a "machine" could ever conceptualize, since it has no substance, is not an algorhythm, and can not be physically defined.

Example: When I shattered my arm and leg, the doctors placed "nerve blocks" to those limbs, while they put them back together. Now I was aware that my limbs were numb, and I could not move them because of the nural block interupting the signals from those limbs, but I still knew they existed and were attached. I knew that, yet I sensed something was wrong, because I could not command them to do my bidding. In short, I was trapped in a disfunctional body, yet I was aware of self and that disfunctioning part of myself.

The comatose victim who is considered consciously brain dead, yet can hear and feel their family around them, and struggles to rise to the "surface" in order to "contact" their family, and let them know they are still around.

The dream state we sometimes achieve wherein our bodies are paralyzed, yet we still think and fight to regain control of our bodies and "consciousness", in order to react within the physical world.

This is not biometrics. Just because the body (machine) might not function correctly, does not mean the spirit within is not there. Unlike a state of the art vehicle which shuts down to protect the rest of the system, and never considers the option of trying to start up again, the human being struggles to become "operational" again. The human being registers time. The human being dreams and fights to live.

Unlike a machine, the human being has something within that strives to exist, contemplates feelings, looks for answers that can not be logically or pysically found, yet finds them anyway.

What is that driving force? What is that part of us that refuses to die, or chooses to die? What part of that makes us so different that we would deliberately lay down our life, for something or someone dear to us? It certainly is not self preservation. It is not some instinct. It is choice and choice comes from other than the basic electrochemical function of a machine, computer and ancillory systems that make up the physical body.

There is a soul. And when it leaves the body, the body changes (even if kept alive by machines). To look at a functioning body with no body home, is one of the saddest sights a loved one can experience.

In my life I have witness many "drown victims". Some I knew were gone, others I knew were still in their but could not hang on, and others still weren't giving up without a fight, as long as we helped them from the outside. All suffered the same plight. Physically all were dead, but what was inside was not.

v/r

Q

how can i be uncertain there is a god and yet absolutely positive that we have souls?? I cannot explain what a soul is........ and yet I know I have one. I also am sure that some people have souls that are ....????(tainted??) i dont know if thats the right word. Some people that are evil, yes you know the ones I mean, the truly vile and evil people , they have souls i suppose but tainted ( is the only word i can use) . So, I guess, i know we have souls.

But have you learned more since?

I thought it was a perfectly good explanation as I looked on my dead fathers body at the age of 12.. why would I need to further complicate a perfectly understood answer?

Sounds good. Makes sense but unfortunately incorrect. A personality is part of learned character. But if you bumped your head, or had an illness that affected your memory, all that would change. As all memories of events are part of your body.

I think its interesting that you think you have the authority of knowledge to say whether its incorrect or not..

Personality
Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural per·son·al·i·ties Etymology: Middle English personalite, from Anglo-French personalité, from Late Latin personalitat-, personalitas, from personalis Date: 15th century 1 a: the quality or state of being a person b: personal existence2 a: the condition or fact of relating to a particular person; specifically : the condition of referring directly to or being aimed disparagingly or hostilely at an individual a: the complex of characteristics that distinguishes an individual or a nation or group; especially : the totality of an individual's behavioral and emotional characteristics b: a set of distinctive traits and characteristics <the energetic personality of the city>4 a: distinction or excellence of personal and social traits; also : a person having such quality b: a person of importance, prominence, renown, or notoriety <a TV personality>

So I would conclude that I was correct and you are "incorrect" ...Might I add that whether or not someone bumps thier head and loses their memory... it does not mean that the memories are gone. The person simply cant remember them.

A soul is what you leave upon existence. Each and every act and imposition you cause while in physical life, is your soul. Almost like your wake upon the water of life. If your wake supports life to continue even when the boat stops, then you did good. See Darwin, JC, Newton, Confucious.... they each left the building and returned to mother earth, but alive just the same within their gifts to our species. So when you buy a pair of cool shoes ask yourself, are they what I want left on earth when I 'leave the building'?

That is your opinion and you are welcome to believe what you will but please remember that this IS the Christianity forum and not athiests R' US we are speaking on the side of Christian belief and doctrine... the question was posed on this forum right? So you are welcome to post your beliefs but stating it as fact is disrespectful to those on this forum that believe... so if you need some help with this let me give you some wisdom since I dont believe anyone has shown you the rules of this site..

to your OPINION.... add any of the following....

I believe....

or

I think....

Thats it!! simple and courteous!

Have a great day :)

Loved ones who care for the victims of Alzheimers disease commonly report that they are living with a stranger in the body of someone they once knew. Clearly our personality, which is our individual essence, can depart before death occurs. It proves there is no soul but just bioelectrical machinery responsible for who we are.
I'm always in wonderment dealing with folks as they go thru alzheimers. They return to that state when they were born needing someone to provide for their every need yet they are full sized and often strong. As the memories disappear it is interesting the ones that stay. It seems the polar emotions, fear, love, anger, meekness are amplified. And then old pictures from their youth, adolesence or twenties...those memories seem to stay the longest. I love getting asked the same question over and over, and replying the same reply, because it is amazing how well the reply satisfies in that moment, but a moment later it is needed again. All the while knowing that as a child I drove folks crazy the with the question, why?

While grandma was still home, she'd cook 10-15 times a day. Cook something, eat a little, clean up, put everything away, dust the house, straighten things and repeat..."Aren't you hungry? Let me fix something. I'll warm these leftovers" Get out the photo album and she would talk for hours and not cook. Walk in the garden she'd tell you when she planted each tree, but she didn't know who you were, it was amazing.

Funny how some folks say they are not all there. I believe that. They are not all here, a portion, much of the portion we knew has already moved on and is active someplace else saying or thinking, "Why?"

It seems the polar emotions, fear, love, anger, meekness are amplified. And then old pictures from their youth, adolesence or twenties...those memories seem to stay the longest.
emotions seem universal to any of consciousness as that state of life is still associated to the body.

Yet when the ‘wiring’ fails and memories are lost, the oldest ones are usually bound to the initial formations and probably why they still exchange when even the last days of physical life are being approached.

The apparent reality that represents itself is that the body is what retains the thoughts and memories combined as a single self (an I). Which would reflect that that idea of ‘soul’ is not an isolated thing, unless upon a living body; alive.

As neither could memories of words or things be described since all language is learned within the memories of the body.

Whether they exist with the body or soul; that is the real important observation to acknowledge.

That idea of ‘mind’ appears strictly attached to the body.

The spirit of something is the idea or thought of the information rather than an isolated ‘thing’ that floats around like a ghost, in my honest opinion.

In The Thirteen Petalled Rose, Adin Steinsaltz suggests that the soul is associated with space-time aspects of this evolutionary realm. I agree up to a point. My sense is that the Soul actually belongs to another realm, or more accurately, to various other realms. In fact, Steinsaltz idetnifies the Soul as a kind of "primal existence" that antedates experiential reality - i.e. "a distinct spiritual entity in that it is a special combination of various Sefirot from different worlds." (p. 53)

As I see it, the Soul is given an opportunity to become aware of itself as part of the Divine within the context of evolutionary worlds in order to discover its origins as being beyond time and space. Basically, we get to discover our true identity as G-d's children while at the same time developing a deepening relationship with G-d who takes a direct interest in our journey back to Him. We value the process of this journey, which is to a large degree mindal in nature. However, the existence of the Soul is not dependent on our awareness.

Again, the Soul does not depend on mental awareness for its existence. The mind may deteriorate, but that does not imply the destruction of the Soul, which is an everlasting part of G-d, i.e., "a part of the Divine and in this respect is a manifestation of G-d in the world." (p. 51).

Back