True Self-No Self

When it comes to the "Pre-Trans" fallacy, have always liked the age-old phrase coined by psychologist, Jack Engler, over 20 years ago: "you have to be somebody before you can be nobody.":) earl

When it comes to the "Pre-Trans" fallacy, have always liked the age-old phrase coined by psychologist, Jack Engler, over 20 years ago: "you have to be somebody before you can be nobody.":) earl

That's a great quote Earl, reminds me of the chapter on the same subject in "Chop Wood Carry Water"

Joseph Campbell says "follow your bliss." The only way we can do that is to become as a small child.

In proper context, that meant to find an occupation that you enjoy, to earn your livelihood in a manner that makes you want to get out of bed in the morning. It really had little to do with small children, other than that he was speaking of watching a young child do something that sparked a conversation with his father that prompted Campbell to reach this conclusion. There's nothing esoteric or remarkably profound to Campbell's comment.

In proper context, that meant to find an occupation that you enjoy, to earn your livelihood in a manner that makes you want to get out of bed in the morning.
Or, in the sense that you find what clicks and/or resonates with you interiorly, and hence derive a sense of fulfillment and joy in life.

It really had little to do with small children, other than that he was speaking of watching a young child do something that sparked a conversation with his father that prompted Campbell to reach this conclusion.
Really? I wasn't aware of this.

There's nothing esoteric or remarkably profound to Campbell's comment.
Except to the extent that we find out how to be genuinely happy in life, with a sense of awe and wonder (of a small child), it is extended into the next.

Now that I've finished his book, "The Mandala of Being," in which Richard Moss presents his approach to teaching others to acces the pure state of consciousness that Zennies refer to as "original mind" or unadorned "presence" I think I'm ready to throw out every Buddhist and psychology book I own.:) I've never read anyone present so clearly and in such a profoundly simple manner what tons of Buddhists and psychologists who are attempting to steer folks out of their own suffering prattle on about in far less effective ways. I highly recommend this book! Gee, perhaps we ought to have a book recommendation thread.:) earl

Well I definitely intend to read the Mandala of Being, sounds right up my alley.

Harrison writes about consciousness. I picked up a book of his at a used bookshop and found it quite refreshing.
More info at Doing Nothing

Back