Santa V God

We force our young kids to believe in Santa by our lies and by a multiplicity of cultural reinforcements. Is not belief in God exactly the same thing?
When my son was about 3 years old, I remember telling him about all the different ways Santa is expressed in different cultures. One custom I told him about was anonymously putting candy in the shoes left by the door. (He thought that was neat.)

Well, the next summer, out of the blue, I started finding candy in my shoes (that I leave by the front door.) Then one day, I caught my son putting chocolate truffles in my shoes.

I asked him, "What are you doing?"
He looked up at me with a big grin and said, "I love you mama!"
{Of course, that just made my heart melt.}

Yep. There really is a Santa Claus. He made special trips to my house during that summer. ;)

Seattlegal,

The story of your son, the truffles and candy in shoes.....
Small amounts of wonder is such a beautiful antidote to much of this thread.
Tell you...... I used to scatter rose petals on passers by in the street below.
Something like zen stick in soft gentle play.

I always found wonder a step in the right direction. :rolleyes:

- c -

When my son was about 3 years old, I remember telling him about all the different ways Santa is expressed in different cultures. One custom I told him about was anonymously putting candy in the shoes left by the door. (He thought that was neat.)

Well, the next summer, out of the blue, I started finding candy in my shoes (that I leave by the front door.) Then one day, I caught my son putting chocolate truffles in my shoes.

I asked him, "What are you doing?"
He looked up at me with a big grin and said, "I love you mama!"
{Of course, that just made my heart melt.}

Yep. There really is a Santa Claus. He made special trips to my house during that summer. ;)

You have a wonderful son :)

Regarding faith and light bulbs: I have faith the the light bulb in the lamp will light up when I flip the switch. (Although, it might not, due to a power failure, a burned out light bulb, defective switch or wiring, etc.) My faith is based on my repeated observations that the light bulb almost always lights up when I flip the switch. However, I can't prove that the light bulb will light up until after I flip the switch and see it light up.

Is that faith intuitive?

It is a clever little example you present but when all is said and done the faith that the light bulb will work is based entirely on repeated observation. It is far less intuitive than it is based on past experience. You cannot apply this analogy to faith in Deity and have others agree that the deity is there and active in the same way they could confirm a light bulb is on or off. And there is now a substantial amount of research that states unequivocally that prayer has no effect on any outcome. The furthest I would be willing to go is that faith helps to focus people that have chosen it as a focus method. People that have not develop other methods. Both work equally efficiently.

tao

How does one prove that faith is a cultural artifact rather than an intuitive process?

Again I state I see no "intuitive process", I see cultural inheritance and habitualised behaviour. The proof for me I have expressed at length on this thread and elsewhere.

tao

Again I state I see no "intuitive process"

Of course not: it's not visible. :p

I see cultural inheritance and habitualised behaviour. The proof for me I have expressed at length on this thread and elsewhere.

Just a minor technicality, friend Tao: this "proof" that you see has no bearing on the central thesis of faith pespective -- i.e., the validity of a G-d concept.

You would be corrrect to question the merits of faith-based applications, as you have done. However, since the Divine is not included in your frame of reference, it follows that you must judge these applications strictly on the basis of human standards of conduct.

Human applications of faith are, after all, merely human. They can be expected to be very imperfect because that's kinda how we are. However, you seem to think they have a significance that transcends human imperfection. Indeed, you sometimes switch levels of analysis and confuse historical, institutional, or cultural aspects of religion with intuitive, intrapsychic aspects. In this confusion, you sometimes drift off into a line of argument that roughly amounts to saying that human imperfections are proof that G-d does not exist. In fact, you have come right out and said as much.

To my way of thinking, it makes no sense to me to conclude that the Creator must be so imperfect that he cannot possibly exist if he has allowed human to run amuck in His name. It certainly makes no sense without showing that Creation directly implies somethig about the Creator. So here you have made a rather significant logical leap.

Without the Creator-Creation connection developed, there is no reason to believe that critiques of the human realm have implications regarding the validity of a G-d concept. As I see it, if G-d had created humans perfect, they would never have a chance to appreciate the sublime evolutionary attainment of growing toward of G-d.

Let's go back to the issue of "proof" for a second. I don't feel religionists owe it to atheists to make a case for their faith. Maybe you do. But if you're going to insist on evidence, it is important to be clear about burden of proof. Example from Post 159:
Quote:"Since you weren't there, to suggest it was all just hallucination seems a bit daft. "
Since you were not there it is a bit daft to argue it was anything other?
No daftness over here, Tao. I'm not taking a position on it one way or the other. You did take the position that it was all an hallucination. I was merely pointing out that your conclusion about religion as being purely figmentary is unsubstantiated by the premise you have adduced.

I also notice you throw in stuff about motivation. In this case you mix it up with questionable matters of fact and questionable generality:
"As for metaphors, what is your objection? In a sense, except for very precise scientific discourse, language tends to be rather metaphorical and abstract." ...because these metaphors as used are not truly presented as such, but as hard fact. It is the dishonesty I object to.

Who exactly presents metaphors as hard fact? You claim to have proof about "cultural inheritance and habitualised behaviour," but you cite no data. In fact, I notice you tend to substitute imagery and characterization where where you need facts. The suggestion that metaphors "are not truly presented as such" is also unsubstantiated because you have not shown there to be any dishonesty with respect to the use of metaphors. In other words, your conclusions involve at least several layers of assumptions.

On the subject of metaphors. I'd think it would be fair to say that poetic/mythological/anthropocentric language comes naturally to humans. This tendency doesn't necessarily involve any intent to deceive. I think you're merely being cynical when you explain things religious in terms of devious intent. I assume it 's just and and parcel of your effort to promote a negative bias just by adding vivid highlights of evil here and there.

In conclusion, I'm not sure you appreciate the evidentary considerations we discussed previously. Also, it's hard to avoid the impression that you're merely malligning religions and religionists as a kind of recreational game. I'm fine with games, but the rules should be clear at the outset and everyone should be able to agree on those rules.

The evidentiary quagmire persists. I think it's because you might be playing the wrong language game. Example: "Nice try Netti but none of what you say stands up to scrutiny." When one speaks in terms of positions "standing up to scrutiny," this ordinarily implies that fact claims can be supported on factual grounds. Other than with regard to some fairly superficial and tangential historical, institutional, or cultural aspects, empirical proof is simply of no interest in relation to matters of faith. So why would you draw conclusions about the adequacy of my post based on some marginally relevant criteria?

As we have discussed already. a "Reasonable Doubt" standard isn't very useful either since we are dealing with personal faith, hopes, and commitments. A while back you've conceded that an empirical analysis of the validity of a G-d concept is not an option because disconfirmability is logically impossible. That is, it's not possible to disprove the exsitence of G-d or to know G-d completely and exactly enough to where we can evaluate and confirm all of His Divine traits and powers and thereby validate the G-d concept.

In addition it's also not possible to disprove people's relationship with the Divine or the sense of ultimacy and meaning they get from their faith. I would say that in your ongoing efforts to generalize broadly, you may have lost appreciation for the fact that many personal affirmations of faith are so personal and emotionally complex that the implicit notion of a common denominator for all matters of Faith that holds across all possible samples of religious people is really an extraordinarly daft oversimplification in itself.

Further, I also diagree with the tacit assumption that pervades your arguments that all religions can be decribed in a unitary way, as though they all have the same kind of credibility problems having to do with political corruption. So far you have been very general about this and have neglected to provide much of an overview with specific examples for different religious faiths. The ones you did provide were easily countered with a more complete rendering of historical/biographical fact, as for example when you tried to cast aspersions on the Prophet Muhammad. He was not just a warlord, but that's all you had to say about him. This kind of obvious selectivity leave you open to all kinds of accusations.

There are many kinds of cynicism. I'm glad you don't have the kind that combines hatred for hypocrisy with disdain for virtue. I think you're on the right track even if I disagree with your conclusions. The only thing I'd watch out for is the possible deception about never accepting anyone's judgment about anything except your own. This type of solipsistic thinking has epistomological as well as social consequences -- mainly because most everyone else believes their point of view is the right one.
positivo2.gif

Sorry Netti but I just lost a reply to that post that I worked on for 2 hours and I am well pissed off. You are going to have to wait till tomorrow for a response.

tao

I hate it when that happens.

Sometimes I can recover by using the back page button. Doesn't always work, but it has saved me quite a few times.

Netti said:
As we have discussed already. a "Reasonable Doubt" standard isn't very useful either since we are dealing with personal faith, hopes, and commitments. A while back you've conceded that an empirical analysis of the validity of a G-d concept is not an option because disconfirmability is logically impossible. That is, it's not possible to disprove the exsitence of G-d or to know G-d completely and exactly enough to where we can evaluate and confirm all of His Divine traits and powers and thereby validate the G-d concept.

That's twice you've referred to dis-confirm, or dis-confirmability. Are you saying that God is inherently non-confirmable, or are you implying a burden of disproof on the part of the nonbeliever in order to undo that which has already been confirmed, ie God?

Oh, and which conception of God are you referring to? 1a or 1b? You're using the capitalized personal pronoun combined with the vowel less spelling so I'm making certain assumptions.

Chris

Here's the deal: You have to say which God you're talking about. If it's the OT Jehovah God you don't get to just ignore all the crazy sh!t about Him in the Bible. He lives in a mountain, collects foreskins, enjoys the occasional genocide... A jolly elf who flies around in a magic sleigh is no nuttier a thing to believe in than that coot.

Chris

That's twice you've referred to dis-confirm, or dis-confirmability.
Hi Chris,

Dis-confirm is not the best term because technically confimation and disconfirmation would be an issue only where there is a hypothesis to be tested. As I've suggested elwehere, this kind of empirical hypothesis testing approach is misguided when you're dealing with maters of faith.

The overall point I've been making is that a discussion of "proof" means nothing unless we can agree on the standard of evidence. The implied standard that Tao implicitly started out with was that it should be about as easy to disabuse peope of their faith in G-d as it is for a child to become disabused of the cultural myth of Santa Clause. However, as Thomas said: while "you can disprove the existence of Santa Claus, you cannot disprove the existence of God." (Post #31)

The best way to go would be to adopt a scientific standard of evidence with an appropriate use of instruments that are suited for the measurements requirements at hand and in the context. What instrument do we use to bring G-d into focus? Obviously, if the idea is to do an experiment, you're gonna be hobbled if you can't measure the phenomena of interest and establish that your method of measurement has construct validity and actually gets at what you think you're measuring.

At least from a common scientific perspective, G-d's existence cannot be disconfirmed. Whatever concept we might have of His attributes and powers can't be empirically disconfirmed either.
or are you implying a burden of disproof on the part of the nonbeliever in order to undo that which has already been confirmed, ie God?
That's a interesting way of stating the issue. In scientific work, one can design a study or series of studies that call into question the role of certain mechanisms while at the same showing that the mechanism is actualy something else. From there, you can pinpoint specific forces, constructs, or "causes."

For example, if Tao wants to maintain that quantum cosmology is all you need to explain the Universe and G-d creative action ("supernatural causation") had nothing to do with any of it, he could simply design an experiment that is structured in such a way that G-d's role is completely ruled out, in such as way that Creation doctrine is out the window. The problem here is that it's an impossible experiment - not only because we can't operationalize supernatural causation, but also because we cannot unmake the Universe so that we can observe the primordial process at work from the start.

Without a proper experiment that has the potential to rule out the existence of G-d the Creator (which is a classic G-d concept), it is not possible to disconfirm G-d role with respect to the origins of the Universe. If G-d's existence cannot be disconfirmed, then it can also not be confirmed in any tradtional scientific way.

After Thomas and I pointed this out, Tao retreated from a scientific standard of evidence in Post #80 and changed the focus of the discussion rather significantly. The focus shifted from disproving G-d's existence to "proving (beyond reasonable doubt) that (religions) are the work of man and had purpose in their creation other than that generally accepted means we can make a qualitative judgement of the value of 'religious' belief."

This change in focus avoids the issue of evidence regarding the existence of G-d. At best, it seems to suggest the possibility of indirectly challenging the existence of G-d by calling the authenticity of special revelation into question. This is also wrongheaded because it's quite possible to allow for the existence of G-d even if it were possible to prove that Holy scripture is purely man-made. The problem of course is that the essential evidence in this regard is also not available because, again, it would call for an experiment that is structured in such a way that G-d's role as the Divine Person who was speaking through human means of communication is ruled out in order to establish that the so-called "Word of G-d" is actually purely and totally written by humans.

So where does that leave us?

Just a minor technicality, friend Tao: this "proof" that you see has no bearing on the central thesis of faith pespective -- i.e., the validity of a G-d concept.
How on earth does it have no bearing? Anthropologists have given us a rich and detailed study of the evolution of the human community and the role of belief within them. Religious doctrine in even the most primitive tribal culture is in the hands of an individual(s) who enjoys a special status and degree of power within the group. As keeper of the wisdom, of the lore, of the medicinal knowledge and of the spiritual mores of that group they enjoyed many privileges. They would of course do everything possible to maintain their elevated status. Including inventing hocus pocus stories and rituals, including, to my knowledge without exception, the use of powerful alkaloids to induce hallucination and false religious experiences.

This went on for many millennia to the point where religious practice and its sister, Faith, were completely ingrained into all human cultures. Without a religion to give structure there is no faith but only vague notions or beliefs. Human curiosity that developed as our growing brains evolved a degree of self awareness asked WHY? And the shamans and witch doctors filled the market. Things have not changed one tiny bit from that pre-history till cultures became advanced enough and big enough for empirical though and reason to flourish. It is at this point that the first atheists are to be found describing the phenomena hitherto referred to as having divine causation to natural events with natural explanations. As the sciences developed in every field without exception God has been excluded where before it was heretical to even suggest the Gods were not at work. It is the atheistic sciences that as a bi-product of basic principle has proved there is no evidence for God. And whilst I have conceded it can never be proved there is no God I maintain with some force that the lack of any evidence FOR his existence is a substantial bit of evidence for the lack thereof.

On the personal level without an ability to make a scientifically neutral examination of all the evidence any residue of faith in the individual sways the case into meaninglessness. Faith in itself is meaningless without some paradigm to attach it to. I personally am living proof that without family indoctrinating me, conditioning me and in a culture with a secular outlook a man can grow and be whole and complete without faith, without God. God is learned belief not innate. Few cultures in the world are as non-religious and secular as I enjoy here in a Scottish city. The "Troubles" that effected Northern Ireland were as I'm sure you are aware caused by sectarian divide between Protestant and Catholic. In small towns and villages across Scotland it is as very much a live issue to this day as it is/was in Ireland. If I had grown up a few miles away I would have been brought up to believe all the idiotic prejudices these people hold as core values. What has this to do with the "bigger picture"? Well it demonstrates the power of faith and a personal sanction from God to be a human creation. A cultural artefact as you put it. That such artefacts can be found throughout human culture and each hold their paradigm to be true IS NOT evidence for a universal spirit guiding them all, but for a universal methodology of dividing and controlling peoples. The churches have been experts at it since the dawn of humanity. And to turn round and say " ahhhh but this is not what God is to me" or "this is not proof that God does not exist" is nothing other than a rather weak get out clause to avoid association with the crazier manifestations.

I have conceded that I cannot prove God does not exist which is as we both know an impossible task. But given that God is THE creator, is omnipresent then the billions of theists around the world who swear, who are willing to die for, Him then why is there not a single shred of evidence from all these people that proves His existence? I maintain that there is nothing and you cannot prove there is nothing. But when you maintain that there is Something then it is incumbent on you to prove it. You cannot have it both ways and not be called a trickster. People believe because thats what people do and have done for many 1000s of years. They do not believe because they have any substantiated evidence to believe. And thats why pejorative notions such as faith are red herrings in this debate. You cannot substantiate the existence of God without faith, but faith is the child of religious pressure so endemic in society most people cannot any more do without it than they could the blood flowing through their veins.

Human applications of faith are, after all, merely human. They can be expected to be very imperfect because that's kinda how we are. However, you seem to think they have a significance that transcends human imperfection. Indeed, you sometimes switch levels of analysis and confuse historical, institutional, or cultural aspects of religion with intuitive, intrapsychic aspects. In this confusion, you sometimes drift off into a line of argument that roughly amounts to saying that human imperfections are proof that G-d does not exist. In fact, you have come right out and said as much.

To my way of thinking, it makes no sense to me to conclude that the Creator must be so imperfect that he cannot possibly exist if he has allowed human to run amuck in His name. It certainly makes no sense without showing that Creation directly implies somethig about the Creator. So here you have made a rather significant logical leap.
If you are going to fall back on "intuitive" or "intrapsychic" evidence then the discussion is really at an end. You already want to insist on stating that God cannot be disproved, (whilst I concede that to be fact I still maintain that a burden of proof can be presented), by science and now you want to say that human belief cannot be invalidated by science. Human intuition is an extremely shady, dubious place to wander in search of answers. But human behaviour and motivation can and has been studied in great depth. If you are going to invoke such speculative notions then the frame of reference becomes too wobbly and unsure for rational discussion. The fact remains that throughout the known history religions have been shown to be as fallible as their creators. I do not present this as proof that God does not exist but as proof that they are wholly human in origin. They show absolutely no evidence of the divine revelation so many claim.

Without the Creator-Creation connection developed, there is no reason to believe that critiques of the human realm have implications regarding the validity of a G-d concept. As I see it, if G-d had created humans perfect, they would never have a chance to appreciate the sublime evolutionary attainment of growing toward of G-d.
So God in all his omnipotent wisdom likes to watch things struggle. Would we have held Mother Theresa in high regard if she had gone out with a hammer kneecapping the children before giving them a map of where to crawl for their bowl of rice? This really is one of the weakest and most ridiculous statement I hear from theists. It is so patriarchal as to be laughable.

Let's go back to the issue of "proof" for a second. I don't feel religionists owe it to atheists to make a case for their faith.
No, of course not, but i do not place a revolver at your temple and force you to post here do I?

But if you're going to insist on evidence, it is important to be clear about burden of proof. Example from Post 159:

No daftness over here, Tao. I'm not taking a position on it one way or the other. You did take the position that it was all an hallucination. I was merely pointing out that your conclusion about religion as being purely figmentary is unsubstantiated by the premise you have adduced.
But I do not say it is solely the result of hallucination. Far from it. The primary cause of religious doctrine in my opinion is power over people. In the Muslim world there is no separation between religion and law and this is how it was historically in both Christian and Jewish communities. For reasons of having a rich imagery with which to bamboozle the sensibilities and create a supernatural authority visionaries were the obvious candidate. They had been working for millennia in more primitive cultures as shamanic storytellers and they worked. It was natural for the developing religions to incorporate them.
I have stated many times now here at CR that unless otherwise stated my focus is on the Abrahamic religions and even then my knowledge of Judaism is almost solely from the old testament. I state that it is clear to see how Abrahamic religion developed from earlier forms of polytheistic societies and how they in turn developed from more primitive tribal structures. In that sense I do lump all religions together, they all have a common origin in a common evolution.

Who exactly presents metaphors as hard fact? You claim to have proof about "cultural inheritance and habitualised behaviour," but you cite no data. In fact, I notice you tend to substitute imagery and characterization where where you need facts. The suggestion that metaphors "are not truly presented as such" is also unsubstantiated because you have not shown there to be any dishonesty with respect to the use of metaphors. In other words, your conclusions involve at least several layers of assumptions.
Well my apologies if my every post is not a comprehensive thesis and for presuming that you were well versed enough in religious metaphor to not need me to post examples. Here is one, if you insist on more I can oblige. Jesus overturns the tables of the money lenders in the Temple. Metaphoric intent: The Old Church is corrupt. Follow Jesus and be charitable through the new church.
You would call them assumptions because your start point is the assumption that I am wrong. They are far from assumption and if ever you need verification by example of anything I state then I am happy to oblige.
I assume it 's just and and parcel of your effort to promote a negative bias just by adding vivid highlights of evil here and there.
And is this, if true, not a case of the pot calling the kettle black? The truth is that a fundamental issue for me is the ability of the religious to completely overlook or ignore the many injustices it has caused. Since most religious people pay, at very best, lip service in condemnation or more commonly outright dissociation from the crimes of religion then I have no alternative but to keep posting the reminders. Over on another thread I posted about the Pope and Catholic abuses of children and collusion in the holocaust. Not one person cared to step in and condemn these very recent crimes against humanity. As long as this level of looking the other way exists then it is incumbent on me to keep reminding people of the whole truth.

In conclusion, I'm not sure you appreciate the evidentary considerations we discussed previously. Also, it's hard to avoid the impression that you're merely malligning religions and religionists as a kind of recreational game. I'm fine with games, but the rules should be clear at the outset and everyone should be able to agree on those rules.
I have been posting here for about 4 1/2 years now, I am no fly by night coming in to have a poke at the goddies. I am not the dour kind of humourless Scotsman sometimes portrayed but the kind who enjoys a good banter. But to suggest that I do it for sport is unfair, I do my utmost to present logical points of view and to respond as best I can when challenged to do so. I find it curious that you now seek to question my integrity in this and make note to you that I have seen it used often before. Mostly in politics. If you cannot undermine the argument you undermine the person proposing it.

The evidentiary quagmire persists. I think it's because you might be playing the wrong language game. Example: "Nice try Netti but none of what you say stands up to scrutiny." When one speaks in terms of positions "standing up to scrutiny," this ordinarily implies that fact claims can be supported on factual grounds. Other than with regard to some fairly superficial and tangential historical, institutional, or cultural aspects, empirical proof is simply of no interest in relation to matters of faith. So why would you draw conclusions about the adequacy of my post based on some marginally relevant criteria?
Again this is your opinion. My opinion is that saying empirical knowledge cannot be used to evaluate faith is nothing but a cop-out.

You maybe do not accept the "reasonable doubt" method as of any validity but to me it is actually more profound than dogmatic certainty. Reasonable doubt is the best we can hope to achieve and that is why it is used as the basis of law. First dismissing certainty, then going to work on reasonable doubt suggests to me a certain desperation to perform an amputation of any process of scrutiny.

Cont....

.......cont

In addition it's also not possible to disprove people's relationship with the Divine or the sense of ultimacy and meaning they get from their faith. I would say that in your ongoing efforts to generalize broadly, you may have lost appreciation for the fact that many personal affirmations of faith are so personal and emotionally complex that the implicit notion of a common denominator for all matters of Faith that holds across all possible samples of religious people is really an extraordinarly daft oversimplification in itself.
Is it? All religions came from our ignorance of causation and a need to answer the question WHY? I see that as very simple and straightforward, no oversimplification. You want to complicate it and layer on it dubious and unprovable personal contextualisations. I strip it to the bare bones, tear it down to the foundations. I do not oversimplify, you perhaps overcomplicate.

This kind of obvious selectivity leave you open to all kinds of accusations.
Then let the accusations fly, i do not care. I stand by my assertion.

-- mainly because most everyone else believes their point of view is the right one.
Wow!! Really? Now that is a revelation!!! Perhaps you might consider that I have thought about all this stuff over my lifetime and that where I am currently at has been shaped by many people. I am not afraid to be wrong. And I am more than willing to adopt information into my world-view when it makes sense to me.

At least from a common scientific perspective, G-d's existence cannot be disconfirmed. Whatever concept we might have of His attributes and powers can't be empirically disconfirmed either.
But we can examine such "claims" of his attributes that religions or individuals make. And we have done. And not once have they been substantiated.

On the whole Netti, to me it seems like you want a shiftable, intangible frame of reference to the question I ask. I do not. I think the evidence is beyond reasonable doubt that there is no God interacting in humanity. Taking that as the given then we must ask why God notions persist. I have presented what I believe to be a credible case built on sound reasoning. It is simple yes, but honest too. It explains the phenomenon of religion perfectly from the perspective of human nature.

tao

How on earth does it have no bearing? Anthropologists have given us a rich and detailed study of the evolution of the human community and the role of belief within them. Religious doctrine in even the most primitive tribal culture is in the hands of an individual(s) who enjoys a special status and degree of power within the group. As keeper of the wisdom, of the lore, of the medicinal knowledge and of the spiritual mores of that group they enjoyed many privileges. They would of course do everything possible to maintain their elevated status. Including inventing hocus pocus stories and rituals, including, to my knowledge without exception, the use of powerful alkaloids to induce hallucination and false religious experiences.
The prophets of old who ran around in animal skins and subsisted on locusts and wild honey must have lead a very glamorous life. Are you saying that they lived this way as some sort of ego-fulfilling means to control the people? :confused:

This went on for many millennia to the point where religious practice and its sister, Faith, were completely ingrained into all human cultures. Without a religion to give structure there is no faith but only vague notions or beliefs. Human curiosity that developed as our growing brains evolved a degree of self awareness asked WHY? And the shamans and witch doctors filled the market.
Well, of course, being able to find a holy man in the building down the street is much more convenient than having to go out into the wilderness looking for one. So, was it the prophets, seeking to control the people, who moved into 'town,' or was it the people, seeking to control the prophets, who moved them into 'town?'

Yep. There's something missing too, I haven't put my finger on it yet, but I think it has to do with cause and effect. Like maybe confusing effect for cause. Tao's explanation is way too simple, necessarily so to support his view. But incomplete, and therefore not true. It disregards the quest for spirit, sky-walking, vision quest, astral projection, spirit communion, spirit communication. This is far more than a simple drug trip hallucination, and it is a vital component of all "personal religious" walks of all shaman and others who seek that connection to the unseen. This is worded really clumsy, and I don't have time just now to word it better. I hope the message conveys... ;)

Yep. There's something missing too, I haven't put my finger on it yet, but I think it has to do with cause and effect. Like maybe confusing effect for cause. Tao's explanation is way too simple, necessarily so to support his view. But incomplete, and therefore not true. It disregards the quest for spirit, sky-walking, vision quest, astral projection, spirit communion, spirit communication. This is far more than a simple drug trip hallucination, and it is a vital component of all "personal religious" walks of all shaman and others who seek that connection to the unseen. This is worded really clumsy, and I don't have time just now to word it better. I hope the message conveys... ;)

I agree Juan, Tao articulates a very real aspect of religion in the history of Man but you bring up an excellent point: there has to be something else.
Many believe that consciousness carries a price, that of laboring under an illusion of separation. It is here that we begin to step away from the scientific method as we know it and begin to move toward the study of consciousness. This would include understanding a little psychology, a little philosophy and some poetry for good measure.
I'm a little tired right now so I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, but the history of religion and spirituality must include the motivation of the individual to find the "something more". Sensing a separation or finding a hole within oneself, one begins to seek out what must be an "other". Of course even this is a simplistic outlook but given time I might be able to elucidate a bit.

I have used existential angst as a motive for clinging to religion, and there is something to that, but for many there is much more. The questions about self and relation to the whole, why am I me and not you? Many of us remember as children we asked questions about our own selfness which now would seem either quite profound or quite pointless and silly depending on your outlook.
I think it is these kinds of existential questions that provoke our search for the "other" for wholeness, or for God.

The problem with this search, this eternal hungering for "oneness" or mystical union or union with God, is that there will always be a self and other, and it is this that keeps the cycle going, the self always searching for what it must belong to. The secret may be that we were never separate at all and the problem is we keep searching keep striving, keeping and cultivating a hunger which can never be fulfilled.

The prophets of old who ran around in animal skins and subsisted on locusts and wild honey must have lead a very glamorous life. Are you saying that they lived this way as some sort of ego-fulfilling means to control the people? :confused:
Of course not wholesale. But you have to admit it is human nature to pursue and hold onto any advantage one can gain. Think of Rasputin as relatively recent example. I do not imagine for a moment that every shaman was ruthlessly out only for himself nor that to themselves they were always setting out to be deceptive. But power corrupts. And there were doubtless very many who realised that creating themselves as visionaries was an easy meal ticket.

Well, of course, being able to find a holy man in the building down the street is much more convenient than having to go out into the wilderness looking for one. So, was it the prophets, seeking to control the people, who moved into 'town,' or was it the people, seeking to control the prophets, who moved them into 'town?'
Thats just glib SG, and neither. Most primitive cultures a successor/apprentice was selected by the Shaman to learn the craft. Thus you have the establishment of a tradition of formal structure. I do not place the shamans outside of the community but integral to it.

tao

Many believe that consciousness carries a price, that of laboring under an illusion of separation. It is here that we begin to step away from the scientific method as we know it and begin to move toward the study of consciousness. This would include understanding a little psychology, a little philosophy and some poetry for good measure.
I'm a little tired right now so I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, but the history of religion and spirituality must include the motivation of the individual to find the "something more". Sensing a separation or finding a hole within oneself, one begins to seek out what must be an "other". Of course even this is a simplistic outlook but given time I might be able to elucidate a bit.

I have used existential angst as a motive for clinging to religion, and there is something to that, but for many there is much more. .

The tools of the early shaman also included psychology, philosophy and poetry and with them he wove tribal history, origins and causation all together to give his people a complete world-view. Way back when a tribal member had no ability to go to a library or online and start presenting contradictory ideas. The kind of angst we talked about takes the ability to process information that is independent of superstition. In a society where religious belief is endemic this angst is only ever realised by a minority. it is too easy to assume that everybody are like the people here, who think deeply about things. Most people do not think or question. They were born, conditioned into their faith and rarely ever really do anything but go through the motions until there is some major crisis. For the people the function of the shaman was to take care of the why, to provide a paradigm so they did not have to descend into not knowing. And because they wanted to feel important, to belong and a part of something that did not end in their own death.

tao

Back