Origins of Jesus Christ

OK then, my mistake, I thought we were discussing the Origins of Jesus Christ.

You probably were. I jumped in late when I saw the post regarding Genesis as legend. Sorry about any confusion.

I'm happy to see from your previous post that we were able to find agreement on something. All is now right with the world.

As for Juan and the tinfoil hat... you can put it back on...

slavespecies .com not my site. This guy does not think he is wearing a tinfoil hat. I put the extra space (you need to take it out to access the address) into the link to allow it to be posted. The content is an idea that is directly related to the subject matter. ie a possible alien creator. It is a new and current idea.

Interesting that the bible speaks of the lion lying down with the lamb so apparently your longing for a 'no harm' creation is a very old one. Now is that a concept for the future of the religion or do you think it applied to Eden as well?

Sorry the posts above refer to the posts no 57 and 97. I have been reading from the beginning of the thread. I hope you don't mind me commenting as I go.

Yes, Juan I do. Thx, btw. :)

Evil I think is within man's heart, and inasmuch as it exists externally, it is also able to access our lives

Post 115 and the preceding discussion.

The experiential 'proof' of past lives etc is the same as the experiential 'proof' found by people of all religion. God apparently draws near, they feel different, sometimes act or speak differently see visions, hear things, etc. I believe that all of this is the interaction of our conscious with our unconscious mind and those in interaction with every other part of our being, emotion, physical body etc. I do not believe there is anything metaphysical about them. After all surgeons and scientists who touch or stimulate a certain part of the brain cause people to have metaphysical experiences relating to their beliefs.

Prior to this post you guys were talking about perfection and evil. You know the yin and yang symbol, each side with a spot of the 'other colour' in them. Together they make perfection. I am coming to to idea that 'perfection' is not our modern, newly evolved and evolving idea of what is good. This is after all a totally subjective notion. We perceive death and destruction as evil but we still don't know if dying isn't the very best thing that will ever happen to us. As one of you mentioned death is also necessary for some kinds of new life. Perhaps perfection is the very balance of good and evil.

I disagree Chris. I think there are absolutes and black and white.

Just like life (no oxygen/death), there are issues pertaining to God that we can not exclude or ignore, or debase as fallicy.

It would not be logical, at best.

post no 125 How can there be issues pertaining to god that we cannot exclude or ignore logically if we cannot logically even know there is a god? That makes no sense.

...which leads us right back to the beginning question. What are the origins of Jesus Christ? For all our opinions, they are all based on a fact, called the Bible (and what it teaches us about Jesus the Christ).

Afterall, without the Bible, we wouldn't know Jesus from a hole in the ground...right?

no 139 which only goes to prove that he is not almighty god. A human noted by history perhaps.

Post 175
I would like to introduce some satyrical comedy here to illustrate how the Bible can be misinterpreted.

It is a reading from the "Life of Brian".

Wonderful, wonderful, love this post. My theory on the bible in terms of interpretation is that all meaning is constructed, heard through the noise of our culture amongst other things this means that as there are 6 billion people on earth so too must there be 6 billion interpretations possible of religious texts. Since god has done nothing to secure the meaning he intended the bible cannot be absolute truth. In fact there can be no absolute truths only individual understanding thereof.

Hehe right I have now read the entire saga. I do not profess to be well read academically so the ancient history behind all the religious text is not known to me. Outside of the bible I know little about the texts of the day and I came here hoping to be enlightened about the possibility of there having been a Nazarene son of a carpenter, famous person in his day who established a following of people which may have led to his deification (if that is a real word) and the subsequent writing of the new testament. Considering Jesus wrote nothing and all written about him is hearsay written through the perspectives of time and what people wanted to believe perhaps reading Paul on Jesus and finding out what his agenda was might offer more of an understanding as to why this guy landed up as the 'saviour of the world' assuming based on Josephus that he existed.

Oh and btw if he didn't how did the story ever get started? Were there many wandering teachers in that day and the bible is a summary of all the diff teachings rolled into one. Is it possible that Paul with his brilliant analytical mind was trying to write a book to reformed Judaism to steer away from the nasty almighty of the OT? That he used the evolving dissatifaction with Judaism present in his day (as for instance the green/organic/recyling/conservation based is today, ie a rising consciousness of the need to change materialism and consumerism) if there was a rising consciousness like that in his day perhaps he took all those ideas and melded them into something he saw as a viable evolution for Judaism. ???

I think the fact that there is no god definable or one personally interested in this world is proved by the fact that that being has never safe guarded the meaning of the bible. That being apparently doesn't see His Word in the same light as christians do!

Outside of the bible I know little about the texts of the day and I came here hoping to be enlightened about the possibility of there having been a Nazarene son of a carpenter, famous person in his day who established a following of people which may have led to his deification (if that is a real word) and the subsequent writing of the new testament. Considering Jesus wrote nothing and all written about him is hearsay written through the perspectives of time and what people wanted to believe perhaps reading Paul on Jesus and finding out what his agenda was might offer more of an understanding as to why this guy landed up as the 'saviour of the world' assuming based on Josephus that he existed.

That's pretty much where I am at. About the only things we can say with a degree of certainty (as much as historical evidence will allow) is that a Jewish man lived, and three hundred years later that Jewish man was a Pagan hero-god. In between is a whole lot of vague supposition and political and religious posturing that by and large is not supported by the surrounding circumstantial evidences. So it is really frustrating and confusing...and that's on a good day!

Oh and btw if he didn't how did the story ever get started? Were there many wandering teachers in that day and the bible is a summary of all the diff teachings rolled into one.

Yes, there were many wandering "teachers," or more likely soap-box standers, but I doubt that there was any kind of consolidation in the sense I think you imply here. There were competing ideologies even within Judaism; Pharisaic, Sadducean, Essenic...and we can see hints of splinter groups looking at John the Baptist and his followers. Then there were the political factions which likely were in a wide range of cooperation with one or other religious ideology, from co-dependent to completely separate, guaging by such as the Zealots and the Sicari and no doubt other separatists longing for an idealistic return to a pristine Zion. So there was a bit of a seething kettle that Jesus was born into...the question comes around sooner or later as to how much of a role Jesus personally had in fanning the flames of rebellion and separatism, of if he was an unwitting martyr used by others for that cause.

Is it possible that Paul with his brilliant analytical mind was trying to write a book to reformed Judaism to steer away from the nasty almighty of the OT? That he used the evolving dissatifaction with Judaism present in his day (as for instance the green/organic/recyling/conservation based is today, ie a rising consciousness of the need to change materialism and consumerism) if there was a rising consciousness like that in his day perhaps he took all those ideas and melded them into something he saw as a viable evolution for Judaism. ???

I don't think so. I want to give Paul some amount of credit, the simple truth is that without Paul's efforts Christianity likely would have been an historical footnote, a curiousity because of a few scattered fragments of some wisdom sayings by another obscure rabbi under Roman occupation, known perhaps to a handful of scholars and basically ignored outside of that context. Instead we have a whole religious system that has exploded out of this integration of Jewish and Pagan ideals...which in itself should be enough to inspire a considerable amount of awe as to how this was accomplished so successfully.

I think the fact that there is no god definable or one personally interested in this world is proved by the fact that that being has never safe guarded the meaning of the bible. That being apparently doesn't see His Word in the same light as christians do!

No god definable? There are lots of gods (little "g") that are defined, Paganism is full of them, that's a small part of the problem we are up against here. But now "G-d," big "G," is another matter. How does one define the undefinable? That's a human tendency to limit the limitless, and it says more about the lack of imagination on the part of the person who would disqualify the possibility of G-d in such an offhand way. Granted, the proof is in the pudding, and according to the definitions of proof and evidence there are no solid proofs or evidences for the existance of G-d...but there is plenty of circumstantial evidence of G-d. Many a case has been convicted in a court of law on nothing more than circumstantial evidence. ;)

Last edited:
No god definable? There are lots of gods (little "g") that are defined, Paganism is full of them, that's a small part of the problem we are up against here. But now "G-d," big "G," is another matter. How does one define the undefinable? That's a human tendency to limit the limitless, and it says more about the lack of imagination on the part of the person who would disqualify the possibility of G-d in such an offhand way. Granted, the proof is in the pudding, and according to the definitions of proof and evidence there are no solid proofs or evidences for the existance of G-d...but there is plenty of circumstantial evidence of G-d. Many a case has been convicted in a court of law on nothing more than circumstantial evidence. ;)

I suppose my candidates for circumstantial evidence would be those isolated figures in history for whom there is both unaffiliated and hagiographic "press" and for whom some direct experience of deity seems claimed by the actual individual. They should also be seen making such claims in the very earliest extant text on their story/sayings, and their "walk" should never be seen as substantively clashing with their "talk", even in the least affiliated and most unsympathetic texts. That actually narrows the field considerably. There are dozens of figures for whom claims of direct deitic experience have been claimed, but frequently, these claims involve figures of whom one can see an occasional "fall" in their "walk", despite a generally upright nature for most of their actions. Often, it seems impossible to find relatively unaffiliated or neutral texts on some of these people (Moses, for example, even though he does seem to have become one of the most upright of them all, after his killing in hot blood a very cruel slave driver when he was a very young man). Confucius, a very upright man who did start a new creed, is always at pains to stress in the earliest stratum of the Analects that his is the "second" kind of knowledge from reading, not the "first" kind of knowledge of the instinctive sage. Not all these figures are entirely free from ultimately warlike actions that can strike us as clashing with their frequent pronouncements against killing the unarmed. And so it goes.

Once we winnow such figures, there seem only three who consistently walk their talk, are cited in occasionally unaffiliated texts, and have direct claims of direct deitic experience in the earliest extant texts: Buddha, Socrates and Christ. Sticking strictly with the earliest extant stratum of textual material on these three, all that one can really say of deity is that the notion of an afterlife remains murky (Socrates in the earliest texts is ambivalent about this), the degree to which deity was responsible for creation is also uncertain (Buddha fails to bear this out), and the degree to which deity controls everything that happens is also inconsistent, going from text to text on each of these three.

What does emerge consistently from these three and their earliest documentation, though, is that deity is something quite tangible and that it is a very direct inspiration for the most keen types of social conscience amongst humanity. That social conscience seems expressed most directly as a universally generous urge of giving and caring for all, and a sensibility that is the polar opposite from self-centeredness. Beyond that, the rest seems still uncertain. But if we take deity as being, at least, an energy of some kind that impels other-centeredness, then that, I'm guessing, would not be contradicted in any of the most intimately experiential sources for deity that written history has afforded us (i.e., these three figures).

Not much to go on, and still circumstantial only, yes. But a useful start all the same, IMO.

Best,

Operacast

I suppose my candidates for circumstantial evidence would be those isolated figures in history for whom there is both unaffiliated and hagiographic "press" and for whom some direct experience of deity seems claimed by the actual individual.

Yours are some excellent historic observations.

What I was getting at regarding circumstantial evidence is more the kind of personal but not really verifiable in the scientific sense experiences so many of us have, ranging from precognitive dreams and visions to out of body experiences to miracles done in the name of whatever intercessor chosen to be called upon.

I realize I don't speak for everyone, but I know enough of these types of experiences have transpired in my life to convince me there is more than simply what meets the eye. My experiences would not qualify in the scientific sense as evidence, let alone proof, and philosophically they can be argued away as anything from intestinal gas to insanity to coincidence. Still, these experiences persist in my reality, and not just in mine alone. They serve as a kind of convincing proof to me and I am sure for many others as well.

It is a complex and murky area even among those who accept it as such. One longstanding curiousity to me, is how miracles can be done "calling on the name of Jesus" when in fact that wasn't even the man's name. It does raise a point of consideration for me in wondering the role of intention in prayer as opposed to "getting the words *just right.*" I don't know how it works, I just know that it does work...with caveats. It doesn't always work (I am fully aware of the seeming contradiction with my previous statement), and it certainly doesn't always work the way we want it to. But it does work in the way the universe seems to deem appropriate.

Prayer, chanting, every manner of ritual from sand painting to sacrifice, icons, relics, idols, symbols, prayer wheels, hauntings, poltergeist activity, shape shifters and lycantropy, entheogenic inducement of hallucinations (dreams and visions), vision quest, and more I can't think of just now, all of these are irrational and illogical and yet persist in the human experience across all cultures and across all of recorded time. This "insanity" of belief exists in spite of sanity and rationality. We have been insane much longer than we have been sane.

In many respects, science seems determined to talk us out of our intuitive insanity.

Last edited:
Yours are some excellent historic observations.

What I was getting at regarding circumstantial evidence is more the kind of personal but not really verifiable in the scientific sense experiences so many of us have, ranging from precognitive dreams and visions to out of body experiences to miracles done in the name of whatever intercessor chosen to be called upon.

I realize I don't speak for everyone, but I know enough of these types of experiences have transpired in my life to convince me there is more than simply what meets the eye. My experiences would not qualify in the scientific sense as evidence, let alone proof, and philosophically they can be argued away as anything from gas to insanity to coincidence. Still, these experiences persist in my reality, and not just in mine alone. They serve as a kind of convincing proof to me and I am sure for many others as well.

I know some have speculated that -- what with recent research in particle physics -- time exists in more than one linear dimension: there may be a time dimension in which past, present and future are observable simultaneously. And there may be fleeting intimations of this simultaneous dimension that are involved in experiences like those you cite. It may even be that God exists in this simultaneous dimension as well, thus explaining the paradox of how come God can know the future while we can still have free will. In other words, we who are trapped in linear time still influence the future by our free actions, while God, outside linear time and in a simultaneous time dimension, can view the future along with the past while maintaining an (enforced?) hands-off stance that allows him to know the future without playing any active role in shaping it (unlike humans who play such an active shaping role every day).

It is a complex and murky area even among those who accept it as such. One longstanding curiousity to me, is how miracles can be done "calling on the name of Jesus" when in fact that wasn't even the man's name.

Now you have me curious -- no, truly. Is this a reference to the name Yehoshua or Joshua, or to some recent scholarly study, or to something else? A minor point, I guess, but you have me intrigued.

It does raise a point of consideration for me in wondering the role of intention in prayer as opposed to "getting the words *just right.*" I don't know how it works, I just know that it does work...with caveats. It doesn't always work (I am fully aware of the seeming contradiction with my previous statement), and it certainly doesn't always work the way we want it too. But it does work in the way the universe seems to deem appropriate.

If we take it that figures like Buddha, Socrates and Christ are responsive to some sort of all-caring energy, then perhaps the prayers that work better may be those that are more in the spirit of all-caring than in the spirit of self-specific care. Just a thought. I concede that this supposition may be easily debunkable and I'm not sure if anyone has ever tested it.

Prayer, chanting, every manner of ritual from painting to sacrifice, icons, relics, idols, symbols, and more I can't think of just now, all of these are irrational and illogical and yet persist in the human experience across all cultures and across all of recorded time. This "insanity" of belief exists in spite of sanity and rationality. We have been insane much longer than we have been sane.

In many respects, science seems determined to talk us out of our intuitive insanity.

The distinction between such "sanity" versus such "insanity" may merely reflect a hasty assumption on our part that the metaphysical entails nothing scientific, while only the physical does. Instead, a few eons from now, it may finally be agreed that the so-called metaphysical involves just as quantifiable a set of scientific frameworks as the physical does. It's just that science has not yet caught up with that yet. BTW, I don't view any Scripture yet written as reflecting anything which may eventually be scientifically quantifiable at all. Instead, that which may emerge as quantifiable in the metaphysical may be entirely unrelated to anything we see in written Scripture today.

Best,

Operacast

I am inclined to believe we are thinking along closely parallel lines.

I know some have speculated that -- what with recent research in particle physics -- time exists in more than one linear dimension: there may be a time dimension in which past, present and future are observable simultaneously.

Just as there are things in quantum physics that lead me to believe we may yet find some way of qualifying metaphysical activity, such as the "spooky action at a distance" concept and the search for the elusive neutrino particles that can pass through matter.

Now you have me curious -- no, truly. Is this a reference to the name Yehoshua or Joshua, or to some recent scholarly study, or to something else? A minor point, I guess, but you have me intrigued.

You're on the right track. If the man's name were properly translated into modern English it would be Joshua. Which raises the question of intention. Miracles have also come about calling on saints, and surely there are comparable attributions in other traditions I am not as familiar with.

It just strikes me a little funny that as recently as the 1500's the man's name could not have been spelled with a "J," that letter didn't exist. At that time he was known as Iesus. Yet some are quite adamant about the particular name Jesus...that calling on any other name is heretical, or at least insufficient or misguided. Ah! Don't you just love conviction?

Prayer is pretty ubiquitous across cultures. Even Communist (institutional atheism) ideology couldn't stop faith, even when it did manage to stop religion.

If we take it that figures like Buddha, Socrates and Christ are responsive to some sort of all-caring energy, then perhaps the prayers that work better may be those that are more in the spirit of all-caring than in the spirit of self-specific care.

That's as good of a guess as any. I am only intimately familiar with Christianity, so that is my reference base. In that tradition the faithful are advised that a prayer asked with the wrong intention (selfish?) will be asked "amiss," and as such will not achieve the desired outcome.

The distinction between such "sanity" versus such "insanity" may merely reflect a hasty assumption on our part that the metaphysical entails nothing scientific, while only the physical does.

Indeed. For the time being it seems more a hasty assumption smugly presumed to be fact, strangely in defiance of the professed curiousity and quest for understanding.

Last edited:
I am inclined to believe we are thinking along closely parallel lines.

Just as there are things in quantum physics that lead me to believe we may yet find some way of qualifying metaphysical activity, such as the "spooky action at a distance" concept and the search for the elusive neutrino particles that can pass through matter.

You're on the right track. If the man's name were properly translated into modern English it would be Joshua. Which raises the question of intention. Miracles have also come about calling on saints, and surely there are comparable attributions in other traditions I am not as familiar with.

It just strikes me a little funny that as recently as the 1500's the man's name could not have been spelled with a "J," that letter didn't exist. At that time he was known as Iesus. Yet some are quite adamant about the particular name Jesus...that calling on any other name is heretical, or at least insufficient or misguided. Ah! Don't you just love conviction?

Prayer is pretty ubiquitous across cultures. Even Communist (institutional atheism) ideology couldn't stop faith, even when it did manage to stop religion.

That's as good of a guess as any. I am only intimately familiar with Christianity, so that is my reference base. In that tradition the faithful are advised that a prayer asked with the wrong intention (selfish?) will be asked "amiss," and as such will not achieve the desired outcome.

Indeed. For the time being it seems more a hasty assumption smugly presumed to be fact, strangely in defiance of the professed curiousity and quest for understanding.

And BTW, the reason why the resident Jesus mythicists here refuse to address this aspect is because they have no practical knowledge of the study of history as refined in the 21st century, and they're only interested in winning arguments -- which they know they wouldn't do on this ground -- rather than exploring the legitimate pros and cons of any point of view at all.

Operacast

And BTW, the reason why the resident Jesus mythicists here refuse to address this aspect is because they have no practical knowledge of the study of history as refined in the 21st century, and they're only interested in winning arguments -- which they know they wouldn't do on this ground -- rather than exploring the legitimate pros and cons of any point of view at all.

That may well be true, but I am still not sure I understand quite what you mean by the term "mythicist." Would you please explain?

That may well be true, but I am still not sure I understand quite what you mean by the term "mythicist." Would you please explain?

Well, it's hardly my term only. "Mythicist" is shorthand for "Jesus mythicist": This is a term denoting someone who doesn't merely maintain that Jesus of Nazareth was never partly supernatural at all and never "the Christ" (a fairly common contention for those who are not orthodox Christians); rather, a "Jesus mythicist" is distinct in that he maintains, in addition, that the very notion of even an ordinary human being just called Jesus of Nazareth is also a "myth" -- hence the term "mythicist". Jesus mythicists view everything in the Gospels, from soup to nuts, as pure myth, including their title character Jesus, who, even as a purely normal human being, is still viewed as being no more historical than Superman.

For a fairly full rundown on Jesus mythicism, I put up quite a detailed 3-part posting on "Jesus mythicism", starting at --

http://www.interfaith.org/forum/jesus-is-not-god-part-1176-22.html#post205843

The numbers of these three posts are #s 326 - 328 and are on page 22 of that thread.

Best,

Operacast

OK, I think I understand now. I missed that earlier thread for a variety of reasons, not least lack of interest on my part.

And I would have to agree that those of that particular bent do seem to be institutionally atheist and determined to undermine the Christian faith at all cost-rather than the purported neutrality of scholarship. Selective application of evidence, don'cha just love 'em no matter which side they're on?

They put the "mental" in fundamental. ;)

Prayer has been scientifically researched and has been proved to be ineffective. I do think the idea of all-caring carries some weight in what would now be called the metaphysical though I believe all 'metaphysical' things will have an adequate scientific explanation in time. When I speak of god being definable I really do mean beyond our 'inner experience of 'something''. And I will never use a G for that word.

All candidates for the position god have been created by people. Anthropomorphic ideas of what 'god' might be. Since the idea of a god is so useful to the human psyche and allows us to lay some fears, some blame etc outside of our universe and obtain some consolation and peace from outside of our universe there are good reasons for us to perpetuate the myths. They allow us a degree of socially acceptable insanity as previously mentioned. BUT I would argue that they are still myths however useful and we will find all our inexplicable experiences here on earth to have reasonable scientific explanations in due course.

Back