Origins of Jesus Christ

I surprise myself by how increasingly alarmed I now feel at the mythicist agenda. As anything but a traditional believer, I have gone through stages in which I once viewed the theory as unlikely but still possible. Where I surprise myself today is the degree to which the more I read mythicist tracts, the more unexpected is my response. Maybe I half thought that further reading might intrigue me more with a possibility that even Jesus the ordinary man, let alone the Son-of-God-Cosmic-Savior-Miracle-Worker-Resurrectionist, was also pure fiction. Usually, in-depth reading of a distinct point of view, especially from a neutral perspective, only gains one a better understanding of a given point of view. Well, it certainly did for me here...but not in a direction of more sympathy! -- Yes, it afforded a better understanding of the arguments; that's for sure. But at the same time, having started out neutral, a better understanding of the arguments only generated an unexpected feeling of being thoroughly creeped out!

The problem's not a lack of evidence for an historical Jesus. It's a lack of 21st-century-type proof. This distinction between evidence and proof is rarely addressed. Now, 21st-century-type proof simply isn't out there; professional scholars in ancient history understand that. Compounding the problem is the anachronistic way many mythicists read even the most straightforward secular documents.

Antiquities 20 is a typical example. One reason why mythicists look askance at the Ananus paragraph is because they don't see how somewhat discursive writing style comes with the territory in these old writings.

On the one hand, it's true many mythicists assume one simply can't imagine Josephus using the term "Christ" under any circumstances. And on the other, a frequent reason given by mythicists why we should look askance at this reference is the odd word order. But the word order in "the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ [tou legomenou Christou], whose name was James" is characteristic of Josephus:

Wars 2.21.1
a man of Gischala, the son of Levi, whose name was Johnâ;

Ant. 5.8.1
but he had also one that was spurious, by his concubine Drumah, whose
name was Abimelech;

Ant. 11.5.1
Now about this time a son of Jeshua, whose name was Joacim, was the
high priest.

This is a good example of why one should be steeped in the writing style before plunging in with both feet. The main remaining argument against Antiq. 20 is the notion of another sibling pair called James/Jesus, where this Jesus too is called "Annointed". This combination of hypotheticals, going against the Occam Razor principle, and of sheer coincidence boggles the mind!

There's also my own impatience operating here; I freely admit that. I find the general evasiveness that marks the mythicist take drives me up the wall.

(continued)

To illustrate once and for all some of the chief aspects in mythicists' methods that trouble me so, I'm going to provide here another posting that I submitted, goodness knows when(!), to another board. I was just starting my journey to real impatience with some of the mythicists at the time, but I wasn't yet where I am now. The discussion centered around an on-line extract of some of G.A.Wells, in response to a Holding piece against Wells's argument. I frankly find many of Holding's arguments dubious as well, so I found some of what Wells says rather cogent. What the appraisal of Wells's piece did for me, though, was help clarify, in my own mind, just why I'm troubled so by so much of the type of reasoning I see among the mythicists. I realize that Wells isn't really a true mythicist, but it strikes me that he buys into some of their methods.

The article in question is at:

A Reply to J.P. Holding...

Here's what I wrote at the time --

[POST] People who've cited Wells as another all-out mythicist -- and I include myself, unfortunately -- are simply wrong. If mythicists think to cite Wells as a way of showing that there is yet one more researcher out there who shares their views on historicity, they are sadly mistaken. This article makes it quite clear that Wells has concluded that there was definitely a real Galilean preacher who was called Jesus, who said the things credited to him in Q, and who lived in the first half of the 1st century c.e. At the same time, where most secular historians assume that this Jesus's purported Birth and Resurrection constitute ad hoc tales not associated with the real history of the Galilean preacher, Wells simply extends that to the actual execution as well, the crucifixion as an ad hoc tale as well.

Wells makes this argument in the first half of the article and points, among other things, to the absence of anything to do with the Christ figure in Q. (OTOH, the name Jesus does appear 12 times [I made a count] in the Q passages, at least two of those being in a passage like Luke 9:57-60, where there is no mention of anything supernatural or miraculous. And this does not contradict Wells's contention, since he accepts the historicity of Jesus the Galilean preacher anyway.) He also points to the presence of the "Christ" term in numerous New Testament letters, not just Paul's, reminding the reader that many of these -- again, not just Paul's -- are presumed to be earlier than the Gospels.

I have to say that up to a point (outlined below) Wells's case seems fairly persuasive that the Christ is one figure -- a supernatural entity envisioned purely by Paul -- and Jesus quite another -- a real Galilean preacher who lived during the first half of the 1st century c.e. In fact, the texts he describes in the article's first half, texts reflecting one figure or the other, appear consistent with his theory. He uses logic up to that point and seems ready to retain that logic for the article's second half. Throughout, his main focus is on Holding's argument against all his theories, and he seeks to show, by constantly referencing Holding, that his reasoning is far sounder than Holding's. Up to a point, it is. And one is prepared to expect him to maintain the disciplined logic that typifies his argument in the first half.

But he doesn't. And when he drops that logic, he loses credibility and this reader's trust and his case collapses like a house of cards, IMO.

The final section starts responsibly enough. Towards the end of the second half, after going through the most important secular non-Scriptural references to Jesus, and after showing their relative lateness and their essential "second-tier status", so to speak (possibly using hearsay from Christians), he finally addresses the two passages in Josephus's Antiquities from the 90s in the 1st century c.e. He spends quite some time on Antiquities 18, the T.F. passage, which has seemed, to scholars of various persuasions, somewhat corrupted, via Josephus's use of Christian terms and assertions. To those like myself who are fairly familiar with (and suspicious of) the odd Christian-like assertions here, and also familiar with the second-earliest text of this passage, which appears in an Arabic quote by someone else from the 10th century where none of the Christian glossing seems present (Eusebius's 4th-century citation is the earliest), Wells adds nothing new. But Wells is useful in that he assembles all the arguments against the authenticity of the fuller version extant in all the actual Antiquities mss., a manuscript tradition that only starts in the 11th century.

So far, so good. But after using up eleven paragraphs on Antiquities 18, he only spends one paragraph on Antiquities 20, the Josephan reference to James as the brother of Jesus, called Christ! In that one paragraph, he writes:

"The shorter passage in the Antiquities that mentions Jesus consists of a reference to James "the brother of Jesus, him called Christ". Holding recognizes that some scholars regard the phrase as interpolated, for reasons which I have given in JL, pp. 52-55. Certainly, the use of the term 'Christ' (Messiah) without explanation in both passages is not to be expected of Josephus who takes considerable care not to call anyone Christ or Messiah, as the term had overtones of revolution and independence, of which, as a lackey of the Roman royal house, he strongly disapproved. Also, it is not true that the phrase 'him called so-and-so' is either invariably dismissive in Josephus' usage (so that it would mean 'so-called', 'alleged' and so could not here be from a Christian hand), nor that 'him called Christ' is an unchristian usage an interpolator would have avoided. (On the contrary, the phrase occurs, as a designation of Jesus, both in the NT and in Justin Martyr's Apology, 1, 30.)"

That's all. No acknowledgement that this account of James cannot come from Scripture, since it's different in substantive detail from anything about James we see in the canon. How likely then that this account ever came from believers? No discussion either of the target of the general outrage that Josephus describes in his paragraph 20, an outrage aimed at one Ananus for exceeding his authority. The focus of this paragraph is Ananus, not James, who remains incidental to Josephus's story here.

No discussion either of the most salient aspect in the written documentation for this sentence: the fact that written references to this sentence, complete with "Jesus, him called Christ", are extant almost immediately upon Josephus's writing it, whereas with Antiquities 18 -- reflecting a pattern that Wells does not hesitate to underscore -- we have no reference until Eusebius's first as late as the 4th century, after which many centuries pass before we even get a second. Wells spends time on that curious pattern for Antiq. 18, but totally covers up the contrasting pattern for Antiq. 20. Here is where he loses credibility in my eyes. His integrity as a historian, all the careful reasoning that he displays in the first half -- all this seems abandoned in this perfunctory, dishonest and evasive paragraph on Antiq. 20.

Finally, we have a truly evasive tactic in Wells's airy reference to "some scholars" feeling that this too is interpolated -- without explaining why "some" feel it's interpolated, as if the mere suspicion were good enough to put it under a cloud! Well, he does explain in detail why Antiq. 18 could have interpolations or could be interpolated wholesale; so why not provide the same detail for Antiq. 20? His merely saying that Josephus was unlikely to have ever used the term "Christ" does not deal in any disciplined way with this particular use of the term "Christ" in this particular passage! More evasion.

In any case, there are a fair number of Jesus figures throughout Josephus. Specifying which Jesus Josephus is writing of by merely citing the term that distinguishes him in the public's mind is not endorsing that term! What's he supposed to have done? Leave the reader hanging without specifying which Jesus at all? Furthermore, the use of the turn of phrase, "some scholars", intimates a fair number of real scholars, when there are only the tiniest handful of dabblers out there, many of them amateurs. That may not be mendacious of Wells, but it is misleading. [/POST]

-- That's what I wrote.

Someone at that other board responded to what I'd written on Wells by asking which "canon" I was referring to, suggesting that the believers' "canon" of the '90s in the 1st century c.e. might have included a thing or two on James that Josephus was merely parroting. A fair question, but it still falls afoul of Occam's Razor in a way similar to the manner in which a number of other mythicist arguments do, and I pointed that out in my response --

[POST] Too convenient. You're violating Occam's Razor to suppose that there was a lost Scriptural text that just happened to address an alternate fate for James. What we have is a continuous non-variant flow of text that is attested to with no variants in Josephus's own time, in a number of contemporary citations, describing an uprising against Ananus in which this James figures tangentially. Furthermore, the kinds of writings that appear to have slipped between the cracks in the canonical process are texts like Thomas, etc., in which doctrinal aspects are directly involved, suggesting that texts that were "lost" were texts that really violated the steadily hardening doctrines of the 3rd and 4th centuries. Nothing doctrinal is involved in the person James. And even those texts that are both in Scripture and outside it but presented as faith works (like letters from Clement or Gospels like Thomas) simply don't bother with James or Jesus's siblings in general. I understand what you're saying, but it remains a very forced argument. [/POST]

-- That was my response.

Finally, someone else thought that I was somehow applying Occam's Razor to this reading of Josephus 20 as a way of showing "proof" that the familiar reading of the passage is right and the mythicist reading is wrong. He took exception to this, since, as he stressed, Occam's Razor is strictly a rule of thumb for ascertaining the preferable, not the proved. Somehow, he had thought I intended to apply Occam's Razor in order to establish "proof" rather than relative likelihood. But I had plainly intended the latter only. Once again, you see, here was someone (effectively) conflating evidence and proof as one and the same.

I wrote back:

[POST] Very well, then: To establish an arbitrary premise that there is this hypothetical lost "faith text" that describes a different fate for James than we have in known Scripture is tantamount to making this "explanation less preferable to those other theories that contain" fewer "premises", thus going against the principle of Occam's Razor. And the degree to which this notion is less preferable to others is exacerbated by shaky speculation that (another hypothesis here!) this hypothetical lost "faith text" is the basis of a paragraph in Antiquities that (unlike the one in Antiq. 18) just happens to run seamlessly with everything before and after it! Such a convoluted theory is hardly preferable to the more straightforward reading of this passage as simply a unified account by Josephus of events that he knew of in the same way that he knew of most of the other events narrated in his chronicle: his personal spadework.

I certainly didn't intend -- and if the implication seems otherwise, that's unintentionally misleading on my part -- to present the application of Occam's Razor in this case as a way of proving anything absolute when it comes to "the correct" reading of this passage. I was speaking strictly to preferability only, not to proof. There is no "proved" way of reading anything in the ancient world.

After all, there is no lack of evidence for an historical Jesus. There is a lack of proof, such as we might see in something like the most carefully researched Times article on some current-day headline, say, that vexes those who doubt there is a historical Jesus. This distinction between evidence and proof is rarely addressed. By necessity, historians of the ancient world can deal only in evidence, never in proof. Extending that further, in cases like the present one of this ancient chronicle by Josephus, proof on any one reading of a given passage is likewise not out there either. In fact, in all studies of all documents related to the ancient world, proof is never an option, only likelihood and and preferability. That's the nature of this beast. Whether we are assessing one sentence in one contemporary chronicle of that distant period, or assessing an entire biography back then, the same thing applies: ancient documents yield only evidence pointing to relative likelihoods and preferabilities; they never yield proof.

Consequently, when I apply something like Occam's Razor, in this kind of ancient context, to show the ridiculousness of some far-fetched notion, I am always dealing strictly in relative likelihoods and preferabilities only, never in disproof and/or proof. The latter is not an option. You can take this as a given: evidence and preferabilities and likelihoods are the sum total of what any historian of the ancient world can tell you. If we allow only proof to determine history, then history would have to start strictly with the Renaissance and no earlier! [/POST]

That concludes the third post.

(continued)

My guess is that there may be more than just one mythicist here, going by my experience of a number of Web forums like this one today that profess a vital engagement with the thinking of today and with the newest perspective while still buying into this half-baked half-assed distortion of what is involved in SECULAR study of ancient history. Mythicism does, it seems to me, pose as direct a threat as creationism today, precisely because it gives as misleading a pitcture of state-of-the-art research today. Mythicism ultimately reflects crank speculations of more than a century ago. As far as I can trace it, the earliest resuscitation of it in modern times (by which I mean the post-Vietnam/post-Watergate era) is this deeply bigoted article published posthumously in 1994, written by Revilo Oliver --

Reflections on the Christ Myth by Professor Revilo P. Oliver

Now this article hardly reflects the most sophisticated modern scholarship of today!

I can also say that, while mythicism's being a half-baked nutterism -- and based on an invalid reading of ancient documents -- is partly my concern, there is also another concern I have:

I would submit that mythicism isn't really a vital blow to Christianity. It may even help certain denominations in a way (I'll get to that eventually). Instead, mythicism is a far more real threat to something just as important as Christianity. Mythicism's not just wrong and amateurish; it's a threat to Humanism.

You see, although I grew up in a secular household, with atheist parents, a typical exchange during my childhood in the Deep South might go something like this -- Since it was the South, our parents might occasionally have over a fundamentalist friend alongside the more usual academic friends and colleagues of my father's:

FUNDAMENTALIST FRIEND: You shouldn't expect government to integrate the blacks and the whites, that's just asking for the Kingdom of God, and you'll only get that when Jesus returns.

ME (as an insufferable brat around 10 or so): But Jesus expected us to treat the least of us the same as the biggest of us.

FRIEND: But Jesus was God and he's perfect. You can't expect a human to be perfect.

ME: But humans evolve to be perfect. We live far more humanely today than we did 2000 years ago.

FRIEND: We didn't evolve. We were made in God's image and we are flawed. Jesus was sent for our flaws.

ME: But there is evolution. We did evolve. We're always evolving slowly.

FRIEND: There is no evolution. Jesus talked about the Kingdom of God because he was divine. What do your parents teach you?

ME: There is evolution, and Jesus was human. And since he was human, then we humans can integrate the blacks and whites and treat them equally.

FRIEND: Jesus wasn't just human, sonny, and that's why it's arrogant to expect humans to start the Kingdom of God. Blacks and whites have to be segregated here because the Lord has his reasons for having them segregated. We can't change that.

ME: If Jesus was human, then humans can integrate the blacks and whites.

FRIEND: That's arrogant talk, sonny. Humans are flawed. Your parents should teach you that.

Anyway, as you can see, these exchanges would quickly get circular, so I hope some of you reading here start to see the problem I'd have with talking to someone like that. Essentially, the elevation of Jesus as something entirely above human rather than still being human only saps and degrades the perceived potential of humanity as a whole to attain higher levels of social justice.

After all, Humanism teaches that humanity is ultimately capable of marvelous things, including a better life for all. But once one decides that especially enlightened humans like either Buddha or Socrates or Jesus or Locke or Franklin or Bahaullah or Tolstoy or Gandhi or MLK are somehow more than human, that relieves (some of) the pressure on the rest of humanity to progress continually in its treatment of fellow creatures. The unspoken subtext gets to be that if someone like Jesus is purely divine, that lets us somewhat off the hook, since we can never attain so high.

To me, ultimately, if we relegate Jesus solely to divinity or solely to myth, the pernicious effect is the same: it lets our leaders and us off the hook. Humanism loses a great deal of its moral force, and we're all the poorer for that. Whether we take Jesus as a mere concoction in a story book, or ghettoize him to the divine, the end result is the same: It implies that no real human can ever actually live out loving one's enemies -- which I freely admit I'm having a hard time doing right now -- treating the least of us the same as the biggest, giving one's life for others, caring for the sick -- all the rest of it. Once that seems unrealistic, we can kiss human progress goodbye.

Jesus as a myth in a story book or as someone solely divine -- or the ghettoization of any figure like Buddha or MLK to the same two alternatives -- torpedoes the impetus for much of the social progress that humanity's made. Of course, ghettoizing Jesus solely to divinity still leaves Christianity with something to worship. That's why Christianity's far less threatened by mythicism than is Humanism. In fact, such ghettoization even abets the fundamentalist outlook in particular, since it concentrates even further the Kingdom-of-God specialness of the Jesus outlook, making the separation between what he urged versus what we can achieve in the face of our erstwhile ignorance and our cruelty even wider. That only further reinforces the pigeon-holing and implied exceptionalism among many (I won't say all) worshippers. We're right back to our fundamentalist of my Southern childhood: We worship the Kingdom of God; don't bother me about social justice on earth. This kind of dead-end response also threatens if we rewrite history and instead ghettoize Jesus to being a mere character in a story book.

Operacast

I am from a protestant background, so I know much about your friend. I think we are talking about Jesus because that is what US protestants always talk about. It is true that Mr. Oliver, whom you also mentioned, seems bigoted as well as ineffective. That is the nature of conspiracy buffs. He is part of a wave of humanist conspiracy theorists from the last century or so, all of whom crashed upon the shore and were drained away. The danger is for us to become 100% left-brained like them, seeing the world as a series of obstacles and attack dogs. It is the people who suffer under the conspiracy theory that actually pay the price for it. That FRIEND of yours ten twenty or fifty years from now will have lived through the results of his protectionist point of view about Jesus, and he will probably start kicking his own butt for you if you will be patient. Right now he is the victim of protestant paranoia culture, which is a mixture of knowledge, ignorance, and fear. He is in a protectionist stance whenever he speaks with you, hence the circular conversation. Mr. Oliver was clearly writing from a similar position of paranoid unreasonableness.

I personally know a man whose personality improved after he shot himself in the head. It was like an enhanced but accidental lobotomy. The idea and the creature do not match, the ideal is unreal so what can we do with the creature? It is truly flawed.

Operacast, That is the best thesis I have seen on the topic of Jesus. Where I live the time is just approaching 0600 hrs. I was lying in bed thinking about all this. I had to go a pee, so I thought I would get dressed and check my e-mails. One was about you post. What I was thinking vefore I read you post was writing a reply about the myths in the bible and how similar they are to the Epic of Gilgamesh, THe Egyptian Creation Myth and even the Popul Vuh. Know that one? The Mayan Creation Story.
Then there are other fables to consider. Queen Bouddica who was queen of the Iceni people of Eastern England and led a major uprising against occupying Roman forces.
There was so many fables about her she was considered to be a factional character until recently. Then there is King Arthur. He is a bit more difficult, but I think there was an Arthur who like Bouddica was king of a small tribe of people. I have been to Glastonbury and the whole of that partof England and Wales is steeped in legend.

I maintain that the bible is no bifferent. You have concluded quite correctly that Genesis is only legend. I believe that about Exodus and am inclined to have the same opinion about the rest of the OT.

JESUS CHRIST. Did he exist? Well possibly. Christ as we all know was a title "the Annionted One". ""Jesus" is a Spanish interpolation of his name. He was Jeshua ben Josef, "son of Joseph the carpenter". He was NOT the "Son of God". In the sayings attributed to him in the NT he only ever claimed to be the "Son of Man". SO you said, there are no references from any other sources that are reliable to Jesus. Josephus "Antiquities" book VIII has a reference that is a later Christian fordulent addition. Scholars have concluded that. I do have a copy of "Antiquities". It is a large book. If Jesus was so signficant why were they only about three lines tham mention him. However they are forgeries.

In conclusion, I say that the bible is nothing but a book of fiction and a poor one at that. It is a most irksome read. I got fed up with it after Kings II. I had never read it before. Roman Catholics read only Gesesis and Exodus, just those two books and that is two books too many. I just finished reading Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons" and could not put it down it was so riveting. I had previously seen the movie. Yet there is more fact in that book than in the bible. I refer to Historical facts about the Roman Catholic Church. The "Da Vinci Code" is an excellent reference to factual history of the Church. It is just the plot about the murder of Saunier that is the fictional part of the book.

This is why I say that the Roman CAtholic Church has been founded on a lie and a fraud, the lie being that there is a "Creator/God" and that fraud that the Church was founded by Jesus Christ and is the one and only true Church. The Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church was formally made the official state religion of the Roman Empire by Emperor Constantine at the time of the Council of Nicea which he instigated at when the formation of the Canon of the Bible was commenced omitting scriptures that the Church Fathers at that Council did not like. By the way, the Pope, Sylvester I was not invited and did not attend in spite of the fact that it was he who Constantine appointed Pope, the FIRST POPE of the Roman Catholic Curch. All so-called Popes before him were only Bishops of Rome.

You have concluded quite correctly that Genesis is only legend. I believe that about Exodus and am inclined to have the same opinion about the rest of the OT.

I disagree, since you are unable to produce any references, I will begin to do it for you. Here is a nice summary of the development of the Bible:

Dating the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please show me where it says Genesis is legend.

Baruch Halpern has a couple of good books that speak of history in Judges and after ("The First Historians" and "David's Secret Demons"). I doubt there are many OT scholars who think the books have more history than legend prior to the period of Judges.

Lets start with the operational definition. Then we can discuss the issue further. Please tell me if you are in agreement:

leg⋅end

  /ˈlɛdʒ
thinsp.png
ənd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [lej-uh
thinsp.png
nd] Show IPA

Use legend in a Sentence

–noun 1.a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.2.the body of stories of this kind, esp. as they relate to a particular people, group, or clan: the winning of the West in American legend. 3.an inscription, esp. on a coat of arms, on a monument, under a picture, or the like.4.a table on a map, chart, or the like, listing and explaining the symbols used. Compare key 1 (def. 8).5.Numismatics. inscription (def. 8). 6.a collection of stories about an admirable person.7.a person who is the center of such stories: She became a legend in her own lifetime. 8.Archaic. a story of the life of a saint, esp. one stressing the miraculous or unrecorded deeds of the saint.9.Obsolete. a collection of such stories or stories like them.

Origin:
1300–50; 1900–05 for def. 4; ME legende written account of a saint's life < ML legenda lit., (lesson) to be read, n. use of fem. of L legendus, ger. of legere to read; so called because appointed to be read on respective saints' days
thinsp.png

Synonyms:
1. Legend, fable, myth refer to fictitious stories, usually handed down by tradition (although some fables are modern). Legend, originally denoting a story concerning the life of a saint, is applied to any fictitious story, sometimes involving the supernatural, and usually concerned with a real person, place, or other subject: the legend of the Holy Grail. A fable is specifically a fictitious story (often with animals or inanimate things as speakers or actors) designed to teach a moral: a fable about industrious bees. A myth is one of a class of stories, usually concerning gods, semidivine heroes, etc., current since primitive times, the purpose of which is to attempt to explain some belief or natural phenomenon: the Greek myth about Demeter.

Antonyms:
1. fact.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/legend

Baruch Halpern has a couple of good books that speak of history in Judges and after ("The First Historians" and "David's Secret Demons"). I doubt there are many OT scholars who think the books have more history than legend prior to the period of Judges.
Wow, what a cool resource. I was looking at David's Secret Demons in the section called "The magnifying lense," and I think it would work as an inexpensive way to learn about the archaeology of the kings for someone who is familiar with the bible. He brings together rabbinic notes, archaeological finds and input from the Bible. The whole archaeological deal seems like a diverse spread of information, but maybe this would be a way to get a working model of it.

I disagree, since you are unable to produce any references, I will begin to do it for you. Here is a nice summary of the development of the Bible:

Dating the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Avi,
I am very well aware of that page from Wkipedia. I don''t think it is necessary to supply all references all the time. You dont. I think you are nit-pricking me.

Now if you want an unimpeachable reference I can give you none other that the Roman Catholic Church

Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible

THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.
The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible.
“We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision,” they say in The Gift of Scripture.
The document is timely, coming as it does amid the rise of the religious Right, in particular in the US.

Some Christians want a literal interpretation of the story of creation, as told in Genesis, taught alongside Darwin’s theory of evolution in schools, believing “intelligent design” to be an equally plausible theory of how the world began.
But the first 11 chapters of Genesis, in which two different and at times conflicting stories of creation are told, are among those that this country’s Catholic bishops insist cannot be “historical”. At most, they say, they may contain “historical traces”.
The document shows how far the Catholic Church has come since the 17th century, when Galileo was condemned as a heretic for flouting a near-universal belief in the divine inspiration of the Bible by advocating the Copernican view of the solar system. Only a century ago, Pope Pius X condemned Modernist Catholic scholars who adapted historical-critical methods of analysing ancient literature to the Bible.
In the document, the bishops acknowledge their debt to biblical scholars. They say the Bible must be approached in the knowledge that it is “God’s word expressed in human language” and that proper acknowledgement should be given both to the word of God and its human dimensions.
They say the Church must offer the gospel in ways “appropriate to changing times, intelligible and attractive to our contemporaries”.
The Bible is true in passages relating to human salvation, they say, but continue: “We should not expect total accuracy from the Bible in other, secular matters.”
They go on to condemn fundamentalism for its “intransigent intolerance” and to warn of “significant dangers” involved in a fundamentalist approach.
“Such an approach is dangerous, for example, when people of one nation or group see in the Bible a mandate for their own superiority, and even consider themselves permitted by the Bible to use violence against others.”

Reference:
Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible - Times Online

I think you will agree that "The Times" is a reputable newspaper. The story got wide coverage in many countries.

So that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Genesis is not a legend? :confused:

It's a legend, a fable, and an allegory all wrapped in one.

And just for today... I'll throw a folklore in, for free.

Eccles Please it would be really nice if you can help support your thought process. This is important for showing you respect the thought process in other people. I totally can accept that you are pissed off about the church institutions, don't believe in them, whatever.

AVI: Lets start with the operational definition. Then we can discuss the issue further. Please tell me if you are in agreement:

mens_sana: Try giving me some examples. I would hate to agree to a definition, then find myself boxed in later because I had not thought of an exception.

I would like to introduce some satyrical comedy here to illustrate how the Bible can be misinterpreted.

It is a reading from the "Life of Brian".

Before I post the readings let me explain that the Python team knew all about Religion and what they were dealing with.
Here are some comments I transcribed from the BluRay copy of the "Life of Brian" in the Extra Features.

Born in the 1940's all of the Pythons received some form of religious education. But Christianity was either rejected or distrusted by each.

Eric Idle:
I was at boarding school for 12 years so was forced to go to church twice on Sundays. The usual Church of England upbringing.

John Cleese:
There was a lot of religion thrown at us but very little that was explained. By the time I'd finished at Clinton, I'd been confirmed and had sat around waiting for some weeks waiting for some golden glow to descend on me. Doubtless it didn't. I became fairly atheistic humanistic.

Terry Gilliam:
I was in many ways a little zealot. I had read the bible twice by the time I was about 16, so I knew all my stuff.

The comedy of it that seemed pretty clear was in the interpretation of the Gospels and the fact that you have Christ preaching a Gospel of peace and love and charity to all and for the next 2000 years people are killing each other and torturing each other because they cannot agree about how He said it or how you interpret it.

Now to the Scriptures according to the Pythons:

Brian: Are you the Judean People's Front?
Reg: F**k off!
Brian: What?
Reg: Judean People's Front! We're The People's Front of Judea! Judean People's Front, God!
Rogers: Blighters...
Brian: Can I...join your group?
Reg: No, piss off!
Brian: I didn't want to sell this stufff, it's only a job! I hate the Romans as much as anybody!
All in PFJ except Brian: Ssch! Ssch! Ssch! Ssch! Ssch!
Brian: Oh.
Judith: Are you sure?
Brian: Oh, dead sure. I hate the Romans already.
Reg: Listen! If you wanted to join the PFJ, you'd have to have really hate the Romans.
Brian: I do!
Reg: Oh, yeah, how much?
Brian: A lot!
Reg: Right, you're in. Listen, the only people we hate more than the Romans, are the ****ing Judean People's Front.
All in PFJ except Brian: Yeah!
Judith: Splitters!
Rogers: And the Judean Popular People's Front!
All in PFJ except Brian: Yeah! Splitters!
Loretta: And the People's Front of Judea!
All in PFJ except Brian: Yeah! Splitters!
Reg: What?
Loretta: The People's Front of Judea. Splitters!
Reg: We are the People's Front of Judea!
Loretta: Oh. I thought we were the Popular Front.
Reg: People's Front! God...
Rogers: Whatever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?
Reg: He's over there.

That demonstrates the various factions in the "Holy Land" at the time.

And now the Prophets:

Prophet I: And the bison shall be huge and black, and the eyes still of red, with the blood of living creatures! And the whore
of Babylon, shall ride forth on a red-headed serpent, and throughout the land shall be a great rubbing of parts. He and wib...
Prophet II: ...the demon shell carry a nine-bladed sword! Nine-bladed! Not two, or five, or seven, but nine, which he will
wield on all wretched sinner-sinners, just like you sir, there! And the horns shall be on the head...
Prophet III: ...through Hebediah, his servants. There shall in that time be rumours, of things going astray. Ehm...and there
shall be a great confusion as to where things really are. And nobody will really know where lieth those little things wi...with a
sort of rackey work base, that has an attachment. At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer, and the young shall not
know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers, that their fathers put there only just the night before, 'bout eight
o'clock.
Prophet IV: Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril: "That in that time shall the turds"...

One of Brians' sermons to the multitude:
Brian: I said: "Don't pass judgement on other people, or else you might get judged too".
Man in crowd: Who, me?
Brian: Yes.
Man in crowd: Oh, oh, thank you very much.
Brian: Well, not just you, all of you!
Gourd man: That's a nice gourd.
Gourd man: How much do you want for the gourd?
Brian: I don't, you can have it.
Gourd man: Have it?
Brian: Yes. Consider the lilies...
Gourd man: Don't you want to haggle?
Brian: No. ...in the fields...
Gourd man: What's wrong with it, then?
Brian: Nothing, take it!
Woman in crowd: Consider the lilies?
Brian: Oh, well, the birds, then.
Man in crowd II: What birds?
Brian: Any birds.
Man in crowd II: Why?
Brian: Well, have they got jobs?
Man in crowd III: Who?
Brian: The birds.
Man in crowd II: Have the birds got jobs?!
Man passing by: What's the matter with him?
Man in crowd III: He says the birds are scrounging!
Brian: Oh, no, no, the point is: the birds, they do all right, don't they?
Man passing by: Well, and good luck to them!
Man in crowd II: Yeah, they're very pretty.
Brian: Okay. And you're much more important than they are, right? So what do you worry about? There you are! See?
Man in crowd II: I'm worrying about what you've got against birds.
Brian: I haven't got anything against the birds! Consider the lilies...
Man in crowd III: He's aiming at going at the flowers now!
Man in crowd II: Oh, give the flowers a chance!
Gourd man: I'll give you one for it.
Brian: It's yours!
Gourd man: Two!
Brian: Ah...look, there was this man, and he had two servants...
Man in crowd III: What were they called?
Man in crowd III: What were their names?
Brian: I don't know. And he gave them some talents...
Man in crowd II: You don't know?
Brian: Well, it doesn't matter.
Man in crowd II: He doesn't know what they were called!
Brian: Oh, well, they were called Simon and Adrian. Now...
Man in crowd III: Oh, you said you didn't know!
Brian: It really doesn't matter, the point is; there was these two servants...
Man in crowd III: Oh, he's making it up as he goes along!
Brian: No, I'm not! And he gave them some tale...wait a minute, were there tree? Three serv...
Crowd: Oh, oh this is...
Man in crowd II: Oh, this is ridiculous!
Brian: There were three ser...three servants...
Man in crowd II: He's terrible!
Crowd: Oh, buuh!

Was Brian the Messiah?

Crowd: Master! Master! Master!
Man in crowd V: The Master! He is here!
Crowd: Master! The shoe!
Woman in crowd II: It was the gourd, it was the gourd! Oh, Master...oh, Master...
Man in crowd III: The shoe has brought us here! Speak...speak to us, Master! Speak to us!
Brian: Go away!
Crowd: A blessing! A blessing!
Man in crowd III: How shall we go away, Master?
Brian: Oh, just go away and leave me alone.
Man in crowd V: Give us a sign!
Man in crowd III: He has given us a sign, he has brought us to this place!
Brian: I didn't bring you here! You just followed me!
Man in crowd V: Oh, it's still a good sign, by any standard.
Man in crowd III: Master, your people have walked many miles to be with you, they are weary and have not eaten.
Brian: It's not my fault they haven't eaten!
Man in crowd III: There is no food in this high mountain!
Brian: Oh, what about the juniper bushes over there?
Crowd: Oh! A miracle! A miracle!
Man in crowd V: He has made the bush fruitful by his word!
Man in crowd IV: They brought forth juniper berries!
Brian: Of course they brought forth juniper berries; they're juniper bushes, what do you expect!?
Woman in crowd: Show us another miracle!
Man in crowd III: Do not tempt him, shallow ones, is not the miracle of the juniper bushes enough?
Eremite: I say, those are my juniper bushes!
Man in crowd III: They are a gift from God!
Eremite: They're all I've bloody got to eat. Ouf! I say! Get off of those bushes! Come on! Clear off, the lot of you! Hey!
Man in crowd VI: Lord, I am affected by a bald patch.
Blind man: I'm healed! The Master has healed me!
Brian: I didn't touch him!
Blind man: I was blind, and now I can see! Aargh!
Blind man's body as he falls down the edge of the hole: [Bladonk]
Crowd: A miracle! A miracle! A miracle!
Eremite: I'll have to stop it! I hadn't said a word for eighteen years till he came along!
Crowd: A miracle! He is the Messiah!
Eremite: Here! He hurt my foot!
Crowd: Hurt my foot! Lord! Hurt mine! Hurt mine!
Man in crowd III: Hail Messiah!
Brian: I'm not the Messiah!
Man in crowd III: I say you are, Lord, and I should know; I've followed a few!
Crowd: Hail Messiah!
Brian: I'm not the Messiah, would you please listen, I am not the Messiah, do you understand? Honestly!
Woman in crowd II: Only the true Messiah denies his divinity.
Brian: What? Well, what sort of chance does that give me? All right! I am the Messiah!
Crowd: He is! He is the Messiah!

The same can be said for Jesus. Not many people at that time accepted Him as the Messiah. For 2000 years the whole business has been clouded more with each generaltion placing it's spin on the bible. How can the truth be known.

Avi,
I am very well aware of that page from Wkipedia. I don''t think it is necessary to supply all references all the time. You dont. I think you are nit-pricking me.
Eccles, I am not nit picking you I am trying to get you to justify your argument. If you look at my posts, you will see that I provide references whenever possible.

Reference:
Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible - Times Online

I think you will agree that "The Times" is a reputable newspaper. The story got wide coverage in many countries.

So that is my story and I am sticking to it.

That is a solid reference, and I completely agree with the discussion and sentiment.

That is not your story and you are not sticking to it. Your whole story was to throw out the OT and NT and substitute it with some Egyptian legend. Did you forget your hypothesis already ? :rolleyes: You probably should forget it because it is wrong. I have seen no evidence to this affect.

Genesis is not a legend? :confused:

It's a legend, a fable, and an allegory all wrapped in one.

And just for today... I'll throw a folklore in, for free.

CZ, calling Genesis a legend is too broad a brush and takes away from it's greatness. It is all the things you mention plus much more. There is a reason it is the most published and most read document in the history of mankind. Writing it off as a simple legend detracts too much from it's impact.

I reject the notion of divine giving of the Torah to the Israelites. I also reject the miracles that are described in the OT. But the wisdom, ethical and moral lessons, philosophy, psychology, and sociology are unmatched in history. How about that from a skeptical scientist / engineer ?

AVI: Lets start with the operational definition. Then we can discuss the issue further. Please tell me if you are in agreement:

mens_sana: Try giving me some examples. I would hate to agree to a definition, then find myself boxed in later because I had not thought of an exception.

Mens_sana, the reason that I provided the Dictionary.com definition is because it shows that the idea of legend is very similar to fable and myth and as I mentioned in my post to CZ, while I was originally going to reject the description of legend as incorrect, after reading more and thinking more about it, I think a better description is "inadequate".

Because of the large timeframe over which the Biblical events are described and were documented, there were huge shifts in how they were reported.

So I have two major objections to Eccles descriptions: 1) He is undervaluing the importance and greatness of the Bible, and 2) His "Egyptian Fable" hypothesis is complete nonsense and he has not provided any references to defend his position. The two references he has provided do not support his case. The first was an amateur webpage which I suspect is his own webpage. The second is a report by the Catholic Church which underscores the greatness of the first part of Genesis while recognizing some of it's limitations.

Eccles is practicing blatant bait-and-switch. We've been addressing -- he's been addressing -- the figure of Jesus of Nazareth. The two references to Jesus of Nazareth that are in Josephus -- and Josephus is OUTSIDE Scripture -- are TWO different passages referring to him: one in Antiquities 18, the other in Antiquities 20. Eccles brought up Josephus in a misleading context after I had explicitly specified which Josephus passage I was addressing. What Eccles wrote was as if I had referred to nothing specific at all.

One passage in Antiquities, in 18, exists in two versions: the complete ms. tradition, starting in the 11th century, and a quote of the passage in an Arabic ms. of the 10th century. The version in the 11th-century ms. tradition is suspiciously fulsome, the earlier quote in Arabic seems more in the noncommittal tone of the historian. This passage is not independently attested until the 4th century by Eusebius.

At the same time, the other passage in Antiquities, in 20, does NOT exist in variant versions, is strikingly offhand in its reference to Jesus of Nazareth, and its earliest independent attestation comes from Origen in the 3rd century. That passage is taken to be perfectly authentic, the former has some question-marks over it.

I just went into some detail on the latter passage in Antiq. 20, for the simple reason that it has no textual problems or cloud hanging over it. I deliberately ignore the earlier passage for the simple reason that we are discussing what in Jesus of Nazareth may be historical. Antiq. 20 is seen by SECULAR researchers everywhere as historical.

Eccles' suddenly talking of Scripture as a whole(!) is entirely irrelevant to the question he first raised concerning one individual, Jesus of Nazareth, who doesn't just appear in The Scriptural New Testament (only one half of the Scriptural Bible) but in secular texts like Josephus 20 as well. The Scriptural Bible is made up of HETEROGENOUS texts from many different times and many different sources. That is true of both the Old Testament and the New Testament. The texts addressing Jesus of Nazareth are only in the New Testament. Not only is it misleading to refer to all the texts in the New Testament as uniformly the same; it is doubly so to refer to both sections of the whole Bible that way, which is what Eccles has done, not only being highly misleading in so doing but introducing -- out of left field -- a bait-and-switch in suddenly talking about the (irrelevant) texts of the Bible as a whole instead of the RELEVANT texts outside Scripture on the topic of this thread, Jesus of Nazareth.

Since, even inside the Bible, Jesus only appears in HETEROGENOUS texts of the New Testament, not the Old, Eccles is practicing pure distraction in suddenly bringing in sneaky pronouncements on the whole Bible that deliberately distract from what we are discussing: the textual record for Jesus of Nazareth.

Fortunately, I'm familiar with just this tactic. I've encountered this before. It's as if a whole cadre of mythicists have been given the same kind of debate training.

Operacast

I have not the time to go through all replies to see if I am supplying a similar answer, but here it is: Egyptology. Just about all of Judeo?Christianity is copied from Egyptian religious myths.

Operacast, I apologise for the role I played in drawing this tread off topic. I was responding to Eccles comment above, which referred to "all of Judeo-Christianity".

However, after reviewing the entire thread, you are correct, that the focus, and thread title, is about Jesus Christ.

I will try to learn more restraint. :(

Back