What Is Your Greatest Fear?

Dying without the oppurtunity to say contrition.

My practice of Bhakti-yoga is ultimately for the percise purpose of preparing for the very moment of passing away ---thus, having an "exit-strategy" that is well practice in-advance.

No Pain now~No Gain later //or// Enjoy now Pay Later.

It's the opposite of watching wild-animal documentaries in the same way as looking at travel-agents' adverts ---for future un-planned (re-incarnated) births.

Sounds a bit like working your way through a complex, modern dream.

X,

I feel that my purpose has already unravelled for me and made itself clear to me. Is yours still in the process of unravelling and becoming clear to you?

Actually, I don't really see much purpose for living other than living itself, and that to the best of my individual potential. In this world and life, however, I see that living resembles more of a struggle, for many creatures, than it does living. In such a case I can only deduce that I am to facilitate, to the best of my potential, an ease of this struggle in the lives of others.

I am somewhat focused in the arts and, with that, the highest purpose I can see in art is in its way to unify and expand/facilitate growth in the consciousness of many people at once. So, that much is fairly clear to me.

I am no expert, of course. I face my own struggles each day but I manage to breathe it all in and breathe it back out somehow. So, again, back to growth and, simply, living. Trying to be a conduit for such a force.

You didn't get the flu spray:eek:.....you should have a healthy fear for that.
It is part of the cause, not the cure.

X,

I think that determing the purpose of life is important, because it shapes the very way think and act. After all, isn't the purpose of religion to help us all determine the purpose of life?

But I get what you are saying, that the purpose of life is different things to different people, that we should not get all caught up in dogmas and religious wars, and try to up to our potential. It seems that a completely non-religious person who tries to live up to his or her potential is making a lot more progress towards...something...than a fully doctrinated religious person who prays like the worst sinner on Sunday and then goes out and cheats people for a living on Monday.

Dying in my sleep
Having a heart attack
Getting hit by a vehicle while crossing the road
Accidentally getting electrocuted (spilling water over a power adapter or contacting something metal near a power point while fixing the computer)
Getting injured near heavy machinery
Losing my eyes:eek:

last but not least . . .

Losing marbles (if you get the joke)

Waking up with my testicles missing!

No, no, really I mean it, sincerely; do you doubt me?

It scares the hell out of me just thinking about it ---it probably sends shivers through any one who reads this.

Oooh. And, reading in the morning paper that World peace broke-out and everyone is now very polite and generous ---that would be delusional!

Dying in my sleep
Having a heart attack
Accidentally getting electrocuted (spilling water over a power adapter or contacting something metal near a power point while fixing the computer)

last but not least . . .

They have pills for that.

They make you sleep so hard you can't get up 'til noon, give you diarrhea and cramps, rapid heart beat and high blood pressure, put holes in your kidneys but good God you feel better.

That everyone in my country's government is some kind of blockhead second guesser and doesn't really give a crap about me. It's a very real and very tangible concern.

It couldn't possibly be true. That's how I deal with it.

Oh, I do agree with you on that xcvbxcvb! It is actually one reason why I do not vote most of the time. I have stood in the voting booth thinking…Who in the hell are these people?…Why is it that you never hear of them or about them until about a month before you are to vote!…Why is it that they always talk out both sides of their face? Saying one thing, meaning something else and doing whatever it is that they want. …they only tell you what you want to hear just to get your vote and then when they are in office it is a whole different story.

I hate to say this xcvbxcvb but they are only in it for themselves and your fear is very tangible. It is a shame that not only your country, but every country on this earth never takes the time to listen to their people and come up with a solution to resolve their fears and concerns. It is a shame.

Uh, Yvonne let me correct myself. I have had an shot-needle inoculation against meningitis and another recently against tetanus. The H1N1 was technically only a spray up in the nose. In case you hear me say later that I didn't get a shot for H1N1, that is why; but I have had two other 'Shots' about a week apart.

We should have some fear. I have some friends who like to take part in medical studies. They take a pill, and then their blood is sampled every half hour for about 2 days. They tell me that they don't mind it very much, because they're getting paid. I think somebody that accustomed to needles needs to be protected from themselves in a padded room! I'm afraid that next they might donate their ears and volunteer to have antennae implanted instead.

One major reason that oversights occur is that great minds really do think alike, especially when they're all shaped in the same two universities (Yale, Harvard, Ivy Leagues?). It takes a lot of time for two similar minds to differentiate, even powerful ones. Our financial geniuses and lawyers are taught in college the same educational philosophies, perhaps uniformly. Whatever seems to have worked in the past, that is what they are taught; so they are all taught the same thing. Sometimes seemingly obvious problems can pass by 15 people with none of them noticing. It helps to realize that many intelligent people can all make the same mistake.

Dream, in regards to your friends who are allowing themselves to be human guinea pigs in a way is to be commended. I am wondering if they make good money at doing that. But, then again I am sure that with some of the side effects that they would or could experience would not be enough to cover what they were paid.
I myself would not be able to do something like that, and the blood draw every 30 minutes…I give the Phlebotomist 2 tries in sticking the needle in my vein and then they are done. I do not mind the occasional needle prick for that and I must also say, I do not get the Flu Shots either. I had a bad experience with that years ago when I worked in a Nursing Home….eeeegads I was the first one sick, and when everyone else was sick I was fine, then when they started to feel better, I would get sick again! So, technically I got sick twice to everyone else’s once. I have not gotten one since then.
The part about your friends having atennaes’ implanted was funny…just remind them to get the ones that can be shortened and elongated at will!
Me myself…I have always thought that it would be great to be able to take pictures with your eyes. The reason is that I have always seen something and have never had a camera handy or available and by the time you get it, the moment is gone. I would want that but only after it has been critiqued …which then makes me think of your friends and how they putting themselves out there for the safety of humanity.

One major reason that oversights occur is that great minds really do think alike, especially when they're all shaped in the same two universities (Yale, Harvard, Ivy Leagues?). It takes a lot of time for two similar minds to differentiate, even powerful ones. Our financial geniuses and lawyers are taught in college the same educational philosophies, perhaps uniformly. Whatever seems to have worked in the past, that is what they are taught; so they are all taught the same thing. Sometimes seemingly obvious problems can pass by 15 people with none of them noticing. It helps to realize that many intelligent people can all make the same mistake.

Dream I believe that is called turning a blind eye and only seeing what they want to see. I understand that you are saying the reason that “many intelligent people can all make the same mistake” is because of the way that they have been trained and in a way programmed to not see the problems. Which also includes them in not hearing about the issues either. They can all talk the talk, but none of them can seem to walk the walk.

"What Is Your Greatest Fear?"

--> Not accelerating my progress towards nirvana.

Nick, sometimes we may feel that we have not progressed towards our goals, until we stop and look behind us to see where we started. I am sure that you are closer than you think.

Originally Posted by Dream
It helps to realize that many intelligent people can all make the same mistake.

Then perhaps they should concentrate on the solution and adhere to it, regardless of the salary or who goes to jail when the schlitz hits the fan.

I do agree with you, though.
:)

Very well put xcvbxcvb! I am in total agreement with you, there should be more permanent solutions, instead of the band-aid fixes that just get them through their term in office. And yes, when you get caught face it and embrace it instead of blaming someone else for your poor lack of judgement.

Dying in my sleep
Having a heart attack

last but not least . . .

Ok Saltmeister…I can relate and understand your fears…but the first one I find perplexing…If you are asleep and you are physically dying…How would you know that? And isn’t that what everyone wants…is to die in their sleep? Never to wake up againg.

Have you ever had a heart attack? I know I haven’t, but I am sure that if I started feeling strange along with having chest pains…I would hope that it was caused from the Chili that I just ate…otherwise, I would seek medical attention as quickly as possible.

Getting hit by a vehicle while crossing the road…what kind of road to you live on? A freeway? That is why we are trained to look both ways twice before crossing and I always let the car pass unless, I see them come to a full stop and make eye contact with the driver to make sure that they are watching me and then I hurry across as fast as I can.

Yes, I have that fear too about being electrocuted…it is not fun and it makes your heart hurt…I turn off the main breaker! And never use a metal tool that is not for electricians.

What kind of heavy machinery is around you? Just keep in view of their mirrors and take into account that if you can not see the driver…well, then they can not see you either!!!

Loosing your eyes…they are precious to our mobility in most cases…people forget to treasure what we are gifted with…think about the people who have been born blind and do not know what a sunset looks like or a sunrise. To see vibrant flowers growing, birds in flight, the sight of a butterfly, exotic birds and such…Even if I would loose my sight today, I have my memory to remind me what it looks like.

And in regards to loosing your marbles...I just go to the store and buy some more!!! lol

Waking up with my testicles missing!

No, no, really I mean it, sincerely; do you doubt me?

It scares the hell out of me just thinking about it ---it probably sends shivers through any one who reads this.

Oooh. And, reading in the morning paper that World peace broke-out and everyone is now very polite and generous ---that would be delusional!

Dude, that even scares me and I am a chic! Bhaktajan, I do know where you are coming from though…in this day and age women must fear breast cancer and if they must undergo a Mastectomy…I know that there is reconstructive surgery for that, but am unfamiliar if there is any for a man. In both cases we would be able to survive without them. I think that our biggest concern would be how our partner would look at us and would they love us less because of missing external body parts.
Ahhh, to read the morning paper (which I find quite dirty…eeewwwee) to know that World Peace has finally come…first it is a great thought…but countries are like children…there is always a bully who has to have everything their way and there always has to be the one that is weaker who retaliates against the bully who is dominating them…People have forgotten how to get along with each other, how to compromise so that both sides feel good about the solution that was sought. People have lost their manners in this day (I feel that manners are not taught in children any more…not like when I was growing up) and age…they are afraid to be polite and cordial to others and to even make eye contact with someone. They are too busy and self-absorbed in their own little world to look about them and see life. I do try to do those things when I am out and about bustling through life and to smile at people…I have had people tell me that I have made them feel better because I had acknowledged that they were there in my presence and I have had the same happen to me when I was upset about something. Sometimes people feel and wonder if they would ever be missed if they were to disappear…YES, they would be missed because we are all here for a reason…maybe that dollar that you dropped was picked up by someone who has not eaten in a few days and probably would have died from hunger…or you walked by a car and saw that there was an animal or child inside with no one around and it was very hot or cold outside…My point is that we are all here to help one another in their time of need. Hence, making it better than you found it. :)

OSTG,

You said,

"...sometimes we may feel that we have not progressed towards our goals, until we stop and look behind us to see where we started."

--> I am reminded of Sigmund Freud, and how we are able to stand on his shoulders and see a lot further than we was able to (psychologically speaking). But I appreciate that Freud was there before us, to give us a 'shoulder to stand on' in th first place.

That one is the baddest of all. To improve chances of keeping my mind active, they say I must learn new classes of things. Some things I've read or heard to preserve mind are: dance, languages, twisted humor like Mad magazine, using the left hand instead of the right (ambidextrianism), and 'Meditation'. Also, cutting way back on the coffee or tobacco, etc. after passing age 50.

Namaste Dream,

thank you for the post.

i try to remain diligent with learning new things, why just this past week i've been thoroughly studying David Hume and his arguments for freewill and such, it's been quite interesting insofar as many of his ideas echo some teachings of the Buddha regarding freewill and the like. the meditation is, hopefully, something which i'll continue in perpetuity!

to be honest with you though i've come to adopt a view which was espoused by a rather famous Buddhist writer named Shantideva. he was talking about fear and worry and how those things plague the mind and cause continual distress his advice, as is often the case in ancient Buddhist texts, is fairly pithy regarding worry and fear, namely: if there is a solution to your current issue, there is no need to worry about it. if there is no solution to your current issue, there is no need to worry about it. either something can be done and, if so, do it and if nothing can be done, worry won't change it. worrying and fears aren't particular helpful in a psychological sense though i confess that my innate fear of walking through forests at night has more to do with evolutionary biology than my current thinking.. i still get excitable and on edge! :)

metta,

~v

Namaste Dream,

thank you for the post.

i try to remain diligent with learning new things, why just this past week i've been thoroughly studying David Hume and his arguments for freewill and such, it's been quite interesting insofar as many of his ideas echo some teachings of the Buddha regarding freewill and the like. the meditation is, hopefully, something which i'll continue in perpetuity!

to be honest with you though i've come to adopt a view which was espoused by a rather famous Buddhist writer named Shantideva. he was talking about fear and worry and how those things plague the mind and cause continual distress his advice, as is often the case in ancient Buddhist texts, is fairly pithy regarding worry and fear, namely: if there is a solution to your current issue, there is no need to worry about it. if there is no solution to your current issue, there is no need to worry about it. either something can be done and, if so, do it and if nothing can be done, worry won't change it. worrying and fears aren't particular helpful in a psychological sense though i confess that my innate fear of walking through forests at night has more to do with evolutionary biology than my current thinking.. i still get excitable and on edge! :)

metta,

~v
Vajradhara, I and I,

Thank you too. It seems you always put thought into each post, and I like your greetings and sign off. I feel the metta is sincere. "I and I" is a greeting of the Rastafarians that seems to have a similar echo to Namaste. I became interested in those types of greetings as a result of reading Namaste on this site. I am not certain the meanings are exactly the same, but perhaps you will find 'I and I' enjoyable trivia.

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy says David Hume was the most important person ever to write in English. David Hume seems like a highly esteemed person, possibly as learned as yourself. He became able to teach from his grave. Perhaps you will obtain the same capability, because you seem to learn a lot from dead people. That is a compliment, not an insult.

Vajradhara & Shantideva said:
if there is no solution to your current issue, there is no need to worry about it. either something can be done and, if so, do it and if nothing can be done, worry won't change it. worrying and fears aren't particular helpful in a psychological sense though i confess that my innate fear of walking through forests at night has more to do with evolutionary biology than my current thinking.. i still get excitable and on edge!
I have that same innate fear walking alone at night in the woods. I am in awe of the blind man who lives his life. I am in awe of the man who never worries yet keeps working every day. Also I'm in awe of people that never cuss. I actually sometimes cuss when I am by myself and get angry, which is a bad habit I picked up. I'm not saying that to shock you but to avoid a misunderstanding about who you are talking with. I will avoid worrying as much as possible like you suggest, and I will try not to cuss when I'm angry or be otherwise imperfect.

You would say Metta. Linda would say Love and Light. David Hume would say 'Humbly your servant'. I will say Farewell, which is almost as good.

Farewell,
Dream

Back