Music

lol, it is only a delay and I will be visiting Berlin. Stockholm and Krakow in next 4 weeks so keeping busy!!

Music is uplifting, creates euphoria and releases into the brain the compounds that cause the feeling of ecstasy. If music is combined with dance then the experience is even more intense and meaningful. Of course if this is then done in a ritualised religious setting then religion will take the credit.

How music affects the brain and its ability to evoke the whole range of human emotion in a few bars is quite amazing. I started this thread a while ago now and it was after reading a series of articles on music and perception.

"Most people assume that the world is just as they perceive it to be. Yet experiments have forced researchers, including myself, to confront the reality that this is not the case. What we actually hear is the end of a long chain of mental events that give rise to an impression - a mental image - of the physical world. Nowhere is this more striking than in the perceptual illusion in which our brain imposes structure and order on a sequence of sounds to create what we call music." From issue 2664 New Scientist.

So the music we think we hear, like much of our sensory perception, is not the the same at source as it is when our neurons translate it into something meaningful to us. Another example of what we want to believe being self-created in our own brains regardless of the fact. So if we listen to music expecting a spiritual experience we will get it. It is not the music that evokes it but the pre-determined expectation of the listener.

tao

lol, it is only a delay and I will be visiting Berlin. Stockholm and Krakow in next 4 weeks so keeping busy!!

Most excellent!

"Most people assume that the world is just as they perceive it to be.
Do they? I shall be charitable and say that perhaps this statement is born of ignorance.
Yet experiments have forced researchers, including myself, to confront the reality that this is not the case. What we actually hear is the end of a long chain of mental events that give rise to an impression - a mental image - of the physical world." From issue 2664 New Scientist.
No sh1t Sherlock, where've you been for the last couple of millennia?

So the music we think we hear, like much of our sensory perception, is not the the same at source as it is when our neurons translate it into something meaningful to us. Another example of what we want to believe being self-created in our own brains regardless of the fact. So if we listen to music expecting a spiritual experience we will get it. It is not the music that evokes it but the pre-determined expectation of the listener.
Indeed. We are all constantly creating the world in which we live.

s.

So...

is it a physical or virtual place?

s.

It is a very physical place. It is were I perform my sadhana (spiritual practice). It also has a small library with some interesting spiritual books in both English and Spanish. Spiritual friends have always been welcome.:)

Hermano Luis

It is a very physical place. It is were I perform my sadhana (spiritual practice). It also has a small library with some interesting spiritual books in both English and Spanish. Spiritual friends have always been welcome.:)

Hermano Luis

Sounds good. :)

Not on my continent I suspect though (Europe).

s.

Is there / are there any differences between "secular" and "religious" music? If so, what are they? If it is purely instrumental music, that must rule out the nature of the lyrics...

Is it simply about the relationship between the experiencer and context?

s.

See now Snoopy? You've had quite a few responses after all now haven't you. Sometimes you forget your own brilliance when it comes to conversation. I trust there will be no more grumpiness then?

I listen to a lot of Christian Music these days, but I still listen to some music that is straight from hell just my old nature I guess.

In some religions like Islam for example many prominent scholars regard music as harram or forbiden :eek:

I listen to a lot of Christian Music these days, but I still listen to some music that is straight from hell just my old nature I guess.

In some religions like Islam for example many prominent scholars regard music as harram or forbiden :eek:

This is controversial. The Koran seems to be silent on this. Also, a legalistic social cntrol view obscures the real issue: what is wholesome and uplifting.

Interesting discussion of that here:
Yusuf Islam in Abu Dhabi

Sometimes I'm with George Harrison that music is not for jitterbugging. Sometimes it seems it should be strictly devotional. I don't think it has to be.

There are many kinds of Islamic music. They usually incorporate various aspects of regional folk music. I'd say stock up on original recordings of Islamic music because they will be harder to find after HipHop and other kinds of pop take over in that part of the world. The old musical traditions are to a large degree free of western commercial influence and provide a great way to explore emotions.

This is controversial. The Koran seems to be silent on this. Also, a legalistic social cntrol view obscures the real issue: what is wholesome and uplifting.

Interesting discussion of that here:
Yusuf Islam in Abu Dhabi

Sometimes I'm with George Harrison that music is not for jitterbugging. Sometimes it seems it should be strictly devotional. I don't think it has to be.

There are many kinds of Islamic music. They usually incorporate various aspects of regional folk music. I'd say stock up on original recordings of Islamic music because they will be harder to find after HipHop and other kinds of pop take over in that part of the world. The old musical traditions are to a large degree free of western commercial influence and provide a great way to explore emotions.

i used to listen to this guy YouTube - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Must Nazron Se Allah Bachaye

Ah, I'm a big fan of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (RIP)!

The music that came out of, or was influenced by the gospel music of black churches does something spiritual to me. Gospel, blues, R&B evolving out of that tradition seems to stir up something primal. In that sense Robert Plant and Jimi Hendrix are priests in the tradition.

Chris

for me... I like gong... not falun gong's greatest hits, but Gong, the curious jazz/prog rock combo of monsieur Allen, who is my mother...

If you understand a little french, and a little sanskrit, and are conversant with the usual religious themes and topics then gong is at a completely different level...it's not just some wierd experimental ****... non! it speaks of the Zohar, and the shakti, and the gnomon, and freya, and brahma, and almost everything else you could think of... as well as this, some of the tunes are designed to make you feel certain things in certain ways- lots of cresendos and 303's...

from their inception and early days right up to today, even though most or the originals bar Daevid are dead or gone elsewhere they still rock...

my other long term "love u forever" band has to be... Pink Floyd... they appeal to my political self...

and of course, for sheer comedy and sex appeal, frank zappa (RIP), who could not only compose great orchestral works but who had a sense of humour as a social commentator and could also play any instrument you threw at him...and was very handsome, in a sheik yerbouti kinda way...

(or did I already mention that?)

music is not soley a devotional thing.... nor should it be...

what about the mating calls of birds? Aw, say the hippies... how sweet, lil birdie sings... that's his flirt song... hey lil ladybirds, come my way, I'll give you good babies...

elvis was no different... all the songs you hear today with their breathy huhuhuh sounds? not that different from lil birdies flirt song, really...

punk, folk, even rock and indie- political, insightful, social commentary, aggressive incitements to rage against the machine... what's wrong with that?

In Ireland, a bard didn't often use the ogham... instead, as a bard, he composed songs, melodies, tunes, historial records of the past, which he performed, for the people...

Commercial, run of the mill music is disposable, throwaway, today's greatest hit is tommorrows bargain bin discount item... but not all music is like that...

music can be fantastical, historial, biting social satire, social commentary, an incitement to riot, an incitement to cut your wrists, sleep with the first person you see, music is majestic...

best not to try to contain it...

for me... I like gong... not falun gong's greatest hits, but Gong, the curious jazz/prog rock combo of monsieur Allen, who is my mother...

If you understand a little french, and a little sanskrit, and are conversant with the usual religious themes and topics then gong is at a completely different level...it's not just some wierd experimental ****... non! it speaks of the Zohar, and the shakti, and the gnomon, and freya, and brahma, and almost everything else you could think of... as well as this, some of the tunes are designed to make you feel certain things in certain ways- lots of cresendos and 303's...

from their inception and early days right up to today, even though most or the originals bar Daevid are dead or gone elsewhere they still rock...

my other long term "love u forever" band has to be... Pink Floyd... they appeal to my political self...

and of course, for sheer comedy and sex appeal, frank zappa (RIP), who could not only compose great orchestral works but who had a sense of humour as a social commentator and could also play any instrument you threw at him...and was very handsome, in a sheik yerbouti kinda way...

(or did I already mention that?)

music is not soley a devotional thing.... nor should it be...

what about the mating calls of birds? Aw, say the hippies... how sweet, lil birdie sings... that's his flirt song... hey lil ladybirds, come my way, I'll give you good babies...

elvis was no different... all the songs you hear today with their breathy huhuhuh sounds? not that different from lil birdies flirt song, really...

punk, folk, even rock and indie- political, insightful, social commentary, aggressive incitements to rage against the machine... what's wrong with that?

In Ireland, a bard didn't often use the ogham... instead, as a bard, he composed songs, melodies, tunes, historial records of the past, which he performed, for the people...

Commercial, run of the mill music is disposable, throwaway, today's greatest hit is tommorrows bargain bin discount item... but not all music is like that...

music can be fantastical, historial, biting social satire, social commentary, an incitement to riot, an incitement to cut your wrists, sleep with the first person you see, music is majestic...

best not to try to contain it...

Gong- extremely good, hadn't heard their music. Saw Zappa- he
was outrageous and excellent. I enjoy the Mahavishnu Orchestra.
dmsingh

falun gong's greatest hits

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

...I've had my gong moments. I remember buying their first (Camembert Electrique) for a whole 49p when other albums were an astounding £2.50ish.

Definite one-off band!

s.

The music that came out of, or was influenced by the gospel music of black churches does something spiritual to me. Gospel, blues, R&B evolving out of that tradition seems to stir up something primal. In that sense Robert Plant and Jimi Hendrix are priests in the tradition.

Chris
Here here! :cool:
I would say that the blues are soulful music. (I also agree with your earlier comment about disco being a profane form of the blues.)

Back