This is not the thread you're looking for...move along...

bookmarking for now - got stuff to do but will return to read .... aloha nui, poh

Sorry for not posting any more :kitty: discoveries, but I've been "out of the loop" for a while (will be getting my internet access back real soon, just have to figure out how to change the modem to the new server. :eek:)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly the thread I was looking for! I knew it! Some form of reverse psychology!

Something interesting, maybe already somewhere on here, but I thought I'd share.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/090420-egypt-cleopatra-apvin.html

Also, has anyone been following that thing about the Cleopatra coins found portraying her as, less than the classic beauty that we think of her as today? And then the other coins, and bust, found at this site, seeming to refute that?

Well, I have a couple theories, and they're grounded in very little else than a gut feeling, and I've done little research on either, so, just so you know, alright.

Here we go...

The coins were said to have been stamped about three years before her death, and were roman. Welll, the Romans at the time didn't hold her or Antony in very high regard, could it have been reflected in the coins? Totally baseless, but if someone is knowledgeable about this time period, or anything, I'd be glad to learn more about it.

One more theory. I've seen the coins, and the image looks to show her as very strong. She was a strong ruler, and assuming my first theory is wrong, couldn't this be reflected in the artwork as well. She was strong, and strength was considered masculine, therefore giving her strong features in a coin, trying to portray her strength as it were, they gave her strong (considered unattractive now) features?

I mean, wouldn't the common person of the day never see her save for images on coins, or other crafted images. Wouldn't a strong queen represented on the coins in such a time of trouble bolster moral?

Just thoughts. Be curious to hear other peoples.

Back