The True Name of God

except, of course, it isn't, because there's no J in hebrew and those vowels are from the word "A-DoNaY". as i've pointed out.

on numerous occasions.

to no avail, apparently.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Something about a dead horse comes to mind.........

*thinks about that for a moment*

Wait... That may come across wrong... Not suggesting we send a threat via a horse head in the bed.... I mean flogging... Flogging a dead horse...

except, of course, it isn't, because there's no J in hebrew and those vowels are from the word "A-DoNaY". as i've pointed out.

on numerous occasions.

to no avail, apparently.

b'shalom

bananabrain
JEHOVAH (he causes to become) great meaning in that most highs name psalm 83;18

The true name of God has great meaning, and no one else can have that name (he causes to become)JEHOVAH :) and He will prove to be what he will prove to be.

At this God said to Moses: "I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE." And he added: "This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘I SHALL PROVE TO BE has sent me to YOU.’"
(Exodus 3:14)

Many Bible translations here read: "I am that I am." But the careful rendering in the New World Translation shows that God was not merely affirming his own existence.

Rather, he was teaching Moses—and by extension all of us—what that name implies.

Jehovah would "prove to be," or cause himself to become, whatever was needed in order to fulfill his promises.

J. B. Rotherham’s translation pointedly renders this verse: "I Will Become whatsoever I please." One authority on Biblical Hebrew explains the phrase this way: "Whatever the situation or need . . . , God will ‘become’ the solution to that need."

What did that mean to the Israelites?

No matter what obstacle loomed before them, no matter how difficult the predicament in which they might find themselves, Jehovah would become whatever was needed in order to deliver them from slavery and bring them into the Promised Land.

Surely that name inspired confidence in God. It can do the same for us today.
(Psalm 9:10)

Early English translators, unacquainted with Jewish tradition, read this word as they would any other word, and transcribed it (in very few places, namely those where the Name itself was referred to) as Jehovah.

Source:

Jehovah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess those those pesky English translators got it wrong.. Pretty good article actually.. I had heard this one time that some of the translators of the King James Bible did so on horse back... Anyone else heard that?

- Art

Careful Mee lest you take the name of God in Vain. You wrote:

At this God said to Moses: "I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE." And he added: "This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘I SHALL PROVE TO BE has sent me to YOU.’"
(Exodus 3:14)
Compare with:
Exodus 3:14 (Young's Literal Translation)

14And God saith unto Moses, `I AM THAT WHICH I AM;' He saith also, `Thus dost thou say to the sons of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.'

There is a difference.

Careful Mee lest you take the name of God in Vain. You wrote:

Compare with:
Exodus 3:14 (Young's Literal Translation)

14And God saith unto Moses, `I AM THAT WHICH I AM;' He saith also, `Thus dost thou say to the sons of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.'

There is a difference.

"I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE." Heb., היהא רשׁא היהא (’Eh·yeh´ ’Asher´ ’Eh·yeh´), God’s own self-designation; Leeser, "I WILL BE THAT I WILL BE"; Rotherham, "I Will Become whatsoever I please." Gr., E·go´ ei·mi ho on, "I am The Being," or, "I am The Existing One"; Lat., e´go sum qui sum, "I am Who I am." ’Eh·yeh´ comes from the Heb. verb ha·yah´, "become; prove to be." Here ’Eh·yeh´ is in the imperfect state, first person sing., meaning "I shall become"; or, "I shall prove to be." The reference here is not to God’s self-existence but to what he has in mind to become toward others. Compare Ge 2:4 ftn, "Jehovah," where the kindred, but different, Heb. verb ha·wah´ appears in the divine name.

This is a history of the heavens and the earth in the time of their being created, in the day that Jehovah
("Jehovah." Heb.,
יהוה (YHWH, here vowel-pointed as Yehwah´), meaning "He Causes to Become" (from Heb., הוה [ha·wah´, "to become"]); LXXA(Gr.), Ky´ri·os; Syr., Mar·ya’; Lat., Do´mi·nus. The first occurrence of God’s distinctive personal name, יהוה (YHWH); these four Heb. letters are referred to as the Tetragrammaton. The divine name identifies Jehovah as the Purposer. Only the true God could rightly and authentically bear this name. )

God

(Jehovah God." Heb., Yehwah´ ’Elo·him´. This expression, without the definite Heb. article ha before ’Elo·him´, is used 20 times in Ge 1–3. The first occurrence of the expression Yehwah´ ha·’Elo·him´ is in 1Ch 22:1, where it is rendered "Jehovah the [true] God." ) made heaven and earth
GENESIS 2;4

in other words, "jehovah" is incorrect. what part of that isn't clear?

b'shalom

bananabrain
great meaning in that name JEHOVAH psalm 83;18

only the true God has that name :)

Jehovah or Yahweh?

Whereas the name Jehovah appears in the King James Version and other Bible translations, some prefer to use the name Yahweh instead of Jehovah. Which name is correct?

The most ancient Bible manuscripts were written in the Hebrew language.

In the Hebrew Scriptures, the divine name occurs almost 7,000 times and is spelled with four consonants—YHWH or JHVH.

These four-consonant words are commonly called the Tetragrammaton, or Tetragram, derived from two Greek words meaning "four letters."

Now the question of accurate pronunciation arises because early Hebrew writing consisted of consonants with no vowels to guide the reader.

So whether the pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton becomes Yahweh or Jehovah depends on which vowels the reader supplies to the four consonants.

Today many Hebrew scholars prefer Yahweh as the true pronunciation.

However, consistency favors Jehovah.

In what way?

The pronunciation Jehovah has been accepted in English for centuries. Those who object to using this pronunciation should also object to the use of the accepted pronunciation Jeremiah and even Jesus.

Jeremiah would need to be changed to Yir·meyah´ or Yir·meya´hu, the original Hebrew pronunciations, and Jesus would become Ye·shu´a‛ (Hebrew) or I·e·sous´ (Greek).

Hence, many Bible students, including Jehovah’s Witnesses, feel that consistency favors the use of the already well-known English-language "Jehovah" and its equivalent in other languages.

i know where it's from, mee. and there's a lot more to it than that.

b'shalom

bananabrain
very true there certainly is
The​
True God Revealed

The true God is readily distinguishable from the many false gods. He is the almighty Creator of the universe, including planet Earth and mankind upon it.

He has a unique personal name—Jehovah, or Yahweh.

He is no part of a mysterious triune god, or Trinity.

He is a God of love, and he wishes only the best for his human creation.

But he is also a God of justice, and he will not forever tolerate those who insist on ruining the earth and fomenting wars and violence.

Jehovah has revealed his determination not only to rid the earth of wickedness and suffering but also to make it a paradise where honesthearted people can live forever in happiness. (Psalm 37:10, 11, 29, 34)

Almighty God has now installed his Son, Jesus, as the heavenly King of God’s Kingdom, and soon Jesus will usher in that new world of righteousness and restore Paradise conditions to our earth.—Daniel 2:44; Matthew 6:9, 10.

yes great meaning in that name JEHOVAH :)(HE CAUSE TO BECOME)

See maybe it's that English pronunciation of "J" as "Gee.."

You have people saying Jesus as "Gee-sus" instead of "He-sus" .. Ye-ushua .. In Arabic "Isa".

I named my son "Ian" ...people in America have a problem with that name . They want to say "eye-on".

So to me this name of God issue that's being brought up is most likely a cultural thing. God loves us even when we mispronounce His Name.. Wouldn't you love your grandson even if he couldn't correctly pronounce or spell your name?

- Art:)

See maybe it's that English pronunciation of "J" as "Gee.."

You have people saying Jesus as "Gee-sus" instead of "He-sus" .. Ye-ushua .. In Arabic "Isa".

I named my son "Ian" ...people in America have a problem with that name . They want to say "eye-on".

So to me this name of God issue that's being brought up is most likely a cultural thing. God loves us even when we mispronounce His Name.. Wouldn't you love your grandson even if he couldn't correctly pronounce or spell your name?

- Art:)
whats important is to use that name , and to make it known , not to take it away from the bible like they have done .

That it is correct to use the Divine Name in the language we speak should not seem so strange.

It is just the same with other names.

Is your name "John" in English? Well, it is not that in the Spanish language, for in Spanish it would be "Juan." In the French language that same name would be "Jean." In the German language it is "Johannes." In Hebrew it is "Yohhanán." In other languages this same name could be pronounced in varying ways. But just because your name is pronounced differently in different languages, would you abandon its use in your own language altogether? Of course not! Neither should God’s name be abandoned just because it is pronounced differently in different languages!

It's all about love "mee"..

God loves us and that should be where it starts in my view... quibbling over His Name only makes matters worse.

- Art

It's all about love "mee"..

God loves us and that should be where it starts in my view... quibbling over His Name only makes matters worse.

- Art
yes love for God, and love for humans .

but when it comes to the name of God ,he had that name put in the bible, and it is not showing love to God to remove it .

he wants that name to be brought to the fore, in fact he even wants a people for his name.

‘You are my witnesses,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘and I am God.’"—ISAIAH 43:12.

Jesus laid down a dependable rule for identifying what is true or false in regard to religion. He said: "By their fruits you will recognize them. . . . Every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit . . . Every tree not producing fine fruit gets cut down and thrown into the fire." (Matthew 7:16-19)

Thus, to determine the true God from false ones, and true worshipers from false ones, we need to examine what they produce. Is their fruitage "fine," or is it "worthless"?

For example, which of the world’s religions has established genuine peace among its adherents earth wide?

Surely, members of the true religion, spiritual brothers, should not be killing one another.

But a hundred million people have been killed in the wars of this 20th century, and all those wars have been supported by the religions of this world.

As a result, religious people have killed other religious people.

Much of the time, they have killed people of their own religion.

Catholics have killed Catholics, Protestants have killed Protestants, Muslims have killed Muslims, and those of other religions have followed the same course.

A witness for the true God should be one who bears testimony about Him

In addition to making known the true God’s name, what, especially, would his witnesses be saying about his purposes?

Jesus set the example by teaching his followers to pray to the true God: "Let your kingdom come." (Matthew 6:10)

God’s heavenly Kingdom is the government that will ultimately rule the entire earth. (Daniel 2:44)

It was the theme of Jesus’ teaching. (Matthew 4:23)

Because the Kingdom is the only solution for mankind’s troubles, he urged: "Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness."—Matthew 6:33.

yes its all about love for God and love of neighbor:) love is the surpassing thing

what a load of arsewash. "let's use J for consistency" and then trying to make out like you're being analytical. each to his own, of course, but you're not convincing anyone here, you do know that? honestly, it's like a broken record.

"yes and it is very good :)"

b'shalom

bananabrain

Search for Jehovah, you people, while he may be found. Call to him while he proves to be near.

isaiah 55;6

"I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images.
isaiah 42;8

Excerpt of "Synthesis of Yoga" (Part III, chapter I), Sri Aurobindo:
To all of [our emotions towards God = Divinity] He answers, taking us in the stage of progress in which we are; for if we met no kind of response or help to our imperfect approach, the more perfect relations could never be established. Even as men approach him, so he accepts them and responds too by the divine Love to their bhakti, 'tathaiva bhajate'.

Whatever form of being, whatever qualities they lend to him, through that form and those qualities He helps them to develop, encourages or governs their advance and in their straight way or their crooked draws them towards Him. What they see of him is a truth, but a truth represented to them in the terms of their own being and consciousness, partially, distortedly, not in the terms of Its own higher reality, not in the aspect which It assumes when we become aware of the complete Divinity. This is the justification of the cruder and more primitive elements of religion and also their sentence of transience and passing. They are justified because there is a truth of the Divine behind them and only so could that truth of the Divine be approached in that stage of the developing human consciousness and be helped forward; they are condemned, because to persist always in these crude conceptions and relations with the Divine is to miss that closer union towards which these crude beginnings are the first steps, however faltering.

idem, chapter V:
Even on the cosmic plane we are constantly approaching the Divine on either of these sides. We may think, feel and say that God is Truth, Justice, Righteousness, Power, Love, Delight, Beauty; we may see him as a universal force or as a universal consciousness. But this is only the abstract way of experience.

As we ourselves are not merely a number of qualities or powers or a psychological quantity, but a being, a person who so expresses his nature, so is the Divine a Person, a conscious Being who thus expresses his nature to us. And we can adore him through different forms of this nature, a God of righteousness, a God of love and mercy, a God of peace and purity; but it is evident that there are other things in the divine nature which we have put outside the form of personality in which we are thus worshipping him.

The courage of an unflinching spiritual vision and experience can meet him also in more severe or in terrible forms. None of these are all the Divinity; yet these forms of his personality are real truths of himself in which he meets us and seems to deal with us, as if the rest had been put away behind him.
He is each separately and all altogether. He is Vishnu, Krishna, Kali; he reveals himself to us in humanity as the Christ personality or the Buddha personality. When we look beyond our first exclusively concentrated vision, we see behind Vishnu all the personality of Shiva and behind Shiva all the personality of Vishnu. He is the Ananta-guna, infinite quality and the infinite divine Personality which manifests itself through it.

Again he seems to withdraw into a pure spiritual impersonality or beyond all idea even of impersonal Self and to justify a spiritualised atheism or agnosticism; he becomes to the mind of man an indefinable, anirdeśyam. But out of this unknowable the conscious Being, the divine Person, who has manifested himself here, still speaks, “This too is I; even here beyond the view of mind, I am He, the Purushottama.”

Back