ego

I think that's a useful model Snoopy. Are you familiar with Tony Parsons? I can send a link if you haven't heard him talk.
Thay once took a matchstick and held it up saying " this is your self, perhaps there is a part you do not like and wish to be rid of, so we break off the left half to get rid of it, and what do we find? There is still a left half! We can break it off more if you like but all we have left is a very little matchstick" ;)

This requires explanation I don't have time for now. But in the meantime I'd like to post this biblical parable for reference:

Matthew 13

24Jesus told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. 26When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.

27"The owner's servants came to him and said, 'Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?'
28" 'An enemy did this,' he replied.
"The servants asked him, 'Do you want us to go and pull them up?' 29" 'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds, you may root up the wheat with them. 30Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.' "

Yes that's very nice Nick, perhaps later we will go into the Christian model of ego.

Simply put, the ego is what interprets the connection between our inner world and the external world. We have three means by which a connection is made: mind, body, and emotions. The collective interpretation creates our ego.

A healthy ego would connect them consciously so that they would work together and produce a balanced experience of the external world. As we are, they are connected through all sorts of imagination which creates the imbalanced corrupt ego and its imaginary fears and negative emotions that keeps man as the ancients say: asleep. We lack a quality of consciousness that could create what Plato called a balanced man which would lead to the gradual awareness of our relationship between the "above and below."

Cleaning the ego requires consciousness that can replace imagination. Jesus' consciousness could do this for the disciples. But we are incapable of it as we are. We lack this inner balance so everything is distorted and we live in dreams.

The results of imagination create the tares that nullify the potential good of the wheat and keeps man at such a low level of being and of human perspective. It is through conscious attention and the attribute of presence that they can be seen for what they are (Know Thyself) and eventually outgrown to be replaced by stronger weeds. The more one progresses, the greater the resistance. The final struggle between consciousness and slipping into imagination that invites the help of the Spirit is represented by Christ on the cross and the victory of re-birth.

How about a couple of threads dedicated to the super-ego and the id.

Especially the id. :eek:

s.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
~Albert Einstein

Imagination in the sense Einstein is using it refers to pondering, contemplation and the wonderment of awe that does not preclude attention. Imagination as I've used it refers to what exists in the absence of conscious attention. Conscious attention and imagination cannot simultaneusly exist. Conscious attention is necesary to unite mind, body, and spirit, in order to produce a balanced objective experience of the external world.

So says those who only use less than 10% of their brain... :p

Now you know why people that are serious about the human condition as it exists within them voluntarily participate with others in the mutual ego deflating effort to "Know Thyself." This way one has the direct experience if conscious attention and imagination can simultaneously exist within them. It is a very useful method for avoiding becoming a slave to "experts."

Now you know why people that are serious about the human condition as it exists within them voluntarily participate with others in the mutual ego deflating effort to "Know Thyself." This way one has the direct experience if conscious attention and imagination can simultaneously exist within them. It is a very useful method for avoiding becoming a slave to "experts."
And I thought you said it couldn't be done. (So much for experts.)
{I admit that I'm an enthusiastic button pusher.} :D

You mean the one that won't take no as an answer? :D
yeah.

ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! I want it mine mine mine I want it mine mine mine I want it mine mine mine Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GIVE IT to me NoW!! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! I want it mine mine mine I want it mine mine mine I want it mine mine mine Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GIVE IT to me NoW!!

yeah.

ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! I want it mine mine mine I want it mine mine mine I want it mine mine mine Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GIVE IT to me NoW!! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! I want it mine mine mine I want it mine mine mine I want it mine mine mine Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! ChocoLATE!!! GIVE IT to me NoW!! Now give it to me! I want it mine mine mine GIVE ME MORE!!!!!! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GiVe it to me now all of it every little piece! Dark and milk and white and milk and dark and white. GIVE IT to me NoW!!
Here you go:
300px-Chocolate.jpg
300px-Chocolate.jpg

300px-Chocolate.jpg
300px-Chocolate.jpg

300px-Chocolate.jpg
300px-Chocolate.jpg

You do know how sick you will get if you eat it all at once? :p

No free will? I feel a fundamental difference of understanding with the man coming on. :rolleyes:

s.

Yeah, this seems a rampant idea with the neo advaita crowd. They do make a compelling case for no free will though. I have heard at least one person make the claim here on the forum that only he really understands how conditioned we all are:rolleyes:
Not sure I completely agree with the idea of no free will, but certainly much of what we do and say is a result of things we were given at birth, i.e. nature and nurture. Notice very few people when in a discussion ever say things like:
"Hmmm never thought of it that way, gee you might be right and I might have to rethink my position"

A shameless advocation of the sin of gluttony. Even though carefully concealed in the PC message of racial equality between dark and white in matters of death through digestion doesn't suficiently compensate for this orgy. what will the ego lead us to next I wonder?

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

H. L. Mencken

Back