The question of Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not meaning to derail this thread any further. What Im speaking of is not the "Christian Community" being disrespectful by scorning and mocking our beliefs but the "Non-Christian" community.

But I agree that there is a brotherhood in Judaism that you do not find in Christianity. I just wanted it known that I admire the conservative moderating done in this forum. People can still crack a joke without being cruel.

I think the issue by comparison to the Christianity board is that there's little real sense of community or brotherhood among Christians of different denominations.

Judaism seems to me to be a very communal religion which actively encourages the exploration of different philosophical viewpoints - whereas Christianity is split among denominations, which little tolerate each other.

Jews who disagree usually still recognise one another as Jewish - Christians who disagree often condemn each other as heretics.

2c.

yes sad, coming from a christian cultural background myself and so a total turn off; but again evolutionary wise Judaism being the daddy has evolved into this 'sea of living/learning' and it seems ok within judaism to disagree, christianity has to learn to do this also via theological intrafaith dialogues [hence my quote on institutional reification as a separating and alienating influence]. Islam, seeing these sects/inconsistencies at first hand, put a bolt on any theological speculation - ijtihad, so no sense of critical approach to scripture. Jonothan Sacks - 'scripture without tradition and commentary to provide a context for it, is like nuclear fuel without protection'. So no access to Islamic scholarship and continued blasphemy at every turn, instead of an enlarged global understanding.

It took me less than 5 minutes to find 5 posts that are highly offensive quotes by holysmoke and I would say race hating or race baiting:

And at least one completely delusional:

If anyone wants to see more insightful quotes like this I will be glad to keep looking under one or more of the pseudonyms.

I am pretty new to this forum, so you might not realize that I do not easily call someone a race hater. But this guy is a race hater.

Avi, why are you trying to assassinate my character? Show proof of hatred of Jews in anything I've posted. You do not seem to know the difference between dislike of theologies or ideologies and hatred of people. Until you can show evidence of hatred what you are doing is lying about another person in order to hurt their reputation. By overreacting to criticism of your religion and your religion's territorial enterprise, you only bear out what I say about Jewish paranoia of Gentiles.

Reading some of your back posts is rather enlightening, Sonoman.

I am very sorry to learn that you are a cancer patient. I suspected that you are a sick young man, and now I understand.

Please see a good oncologist and psychologist and please do not let your anger cast a shadow on what is otherwise a good interfaith forum.

Peace to you and G-d bless you.

I was a cancer patient and I'm not a young man but 65 years of age. Your post reminds of some of the nastiest anonymous comments I've ever received when I posted my anti-Zionist views on a local blog in my community. There some Jewish anons wished me to die of cancer but I guess God is with me because I'm completely free of cancer now, thank you for your backhanded concern..

i know what it means. it doesn't "pull my chain", that doesn't need doing, especially by you. i think i know what you mean by it though.

it's not about having the right. ethnicity does not confer free speech on given subjects. and nobody could accuse me of paranoia with any justification. this sort of rude "have you quit beating your wife" kind of innuendo is of no assistance to anyone. you've made up your mind, so why don't you go and share your lack of insight with people who will nod along.

having now read the rest of these posts, i feel bound to inform you that we aren't recruiting new prophets at the moment. when elijah returns, please apply to him if you meet the criteria for prophecy under hilkhot melakhim. however, i am bound to tell you that a) you're not right about ben pantera, there were a lot of people with the same name at that time and he's about 150 years too early to be jesus and b) jesus wasn't a prophet either according to us, although it is always possible he had ruah ha-qodesh, a lesser order of prophetic insight. you're not coming across as likely to make any converts here, particularly on the judaism board, as we take a pretty dim view of that sort of thing. so, in the nicest possible way, please take it elsewhere.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Bananabrain, I know all about ben Pantera being much earlier than Jesus Christ of the Gospels. It's additional evidence that Yeishu ben Pantera and Jesus Christ are linked because the time differential gives time for oral legends of Yeishu to expand and magnify with supernatural mythology as well as give time to explain how Christians were in Rome so very early on and how Paul supposedly starting his ministry only a few years after Jesus' death met established Christian church communities in his travels.

Of course Jesus Christ wasn't a prophet to Jews. How could a mythical man be such? Especially one who opposed the rabbinical route and opposed anyone claiming themselves teachers (rabbis or more correctly, masters)? But I'm not mythical and the message I bring is universal which means it applies to Jews as much as anyone else who's prior religious beliefs are no longer appropriate for today and tomorrow's world.

Personally.. I wish the Christian forum was run as clean and tight as the Judaism board.

I would not count on that ever happening. Maybe in a different interfaith religion but not this one.
From my own experience and my own biased opinion from here, the Hindus did the best and were the kindest at representing their religion even though they are few.

I think the issue by comparison to the Christianity board is that there's little real sense of community or brotherhood among Christians of different denominations.

If you ever read Dauer and Bananabrain's exchanges, there can be a gulf of disagreement about the most profound matters, and yet both show great respect to each other because of their realised bond. Or, how I read as such, anyway.

Judaism seems to me to be a very communal religion which actively encourages the exploration of different philosophical viewpoints - whereas Christianity is split among denominations, which little tolerate each other.

Jews who disagree usually still recognise one another as Jewish - Christians who disagree often condemn each other as heretics.

2c.

That is kind of what will happen in a controlled environment like this. If you only had the same two christians posting for 5 years you would end up with the same exact results that you brag on Judaism for. That is not a fair example to the other religions. It is either your bias for Judaism again or you are very unaware. There are plenty of people who claim the christian religion here and have a brotherhood even when they disagree. The comparison is, you have always welcomed all opposition and boat rocking to the other forums while coddling this one. I would never expect that to change or suggest it to change as it is yours to do as you wish.

Jesus was a jewish heretic and any jews who follow jesus are jewish heretics. Shabbetai was declared a jewish heretic by jews. Take the last two jews of kabul for example. Then there is this whole nation/mother/tribe/father thing going on and even modern jews still have little tolerance toward other religons or the other people when a child marries outside of the jewish religion or changes religion. Talk about a bias! Jews disown each other as blood within the immediate family over this and I have known them personally fro many years. Christians disowning their children over changing a belief or marrying outside the belief is rare. There are plenty of jews accused of heresy by other jews and many classes of heretics jews have invented. Halakha is hardly something that brings them together. They have no problems excomunicating just like any other hebrew religion and some of them even get sent to the eternal punishment area. You should look at the codes and legal matters in jewish courts conerning their own heretics.

Christians having more heretics because there are naturally more of them does not change the fact that they are still celebrated as christian heretics, the same way the jews celebrate jewish heretics. That is my 2 c.

Judaism seems to me...
Leaving the controlled fortress and getting more than the same two opinons for 5 years should help cure that.

I would agree elsewhere mentioned that one feels one is on eggshells here even more so than on the christianity one, which has historically dissected its theology no less than judaism [compared to the 'newer' abrahamic muslim sanction against any speculation].

Eggshells more so than the others. I must agree and it has nothing to do with boat rocking.

Seems like people are a bit sensitive here.
I didn't find the comments offensive as I can see the points he is trying to make, albeit with dark humor.
And being a part of a race does give one the right to say what they want about that race, taking people of African descent as an example, how many use the crass N word and think nothing of using it with their friends, etc, yet if a non African person uses it, they all close ranks and become hostile towards them.
This is so common it is clichè.
I find it crass as well, but I listened to Chomsky talk about his beliefs concerning free speech and he supported it even for views he personally considered repugnant as if we can censor thing due to being "offended" then we do not have free speech any more and that is to be avoided, even if it rankles you.
Just my 2 cents on this turn of the thread.

Since I am relatively new to this forum, I will respond to the comments below, although I hope you can already see that I am a tolerant person and I hope you can understand why I am very concerned about this posters comments.

Having reviewed the collection of his recent posts, despite his protests, I still find his overall view to be intolerant and race hating.

I find most of his comments are mainly nasty, but the one that is particularly insidious is that his justification for intolerance and hatred is because Jesus opposed Pharisic Judaism.

I have discussed Jesus with Christians many times and I have never been told that intolerance was his most important characteristic. I have been told that his love, kindness and caring for people were what distinguished him. So anyone who focuses on intolerance and divisiveness, in my opinion is a hateful person.

I was a cancer patient and I'm not a young man but 65 years of age. Your post reminds of some of the nastiest anonymous comments I've ever received when I posted my anti-Zionist views on a local blog in my community. There some Jewish anons wished me to die of cancer but I guess God is with me because I'm completely free of cancer now, thank you for your backhanded concern..

Actually, my comment to this poster about his health was not made in any "backhanded" manner. When I learned that he was a cancer patient I was truly sorry for him and wish him good health. However, I do believe that his physical disease has perhaps affected his psychological state and I still suggest that he get professional psychological help.

Peace and good health

"Having reviewed the collection of his recent posts, despite his protests, I still find his overall view to be intolerant and race hating.

I find most of his comments are mainly nasty, but the one that is particularly insidious is that his justification for intolerance and hatred is because Jesus opposed Pharisic Judaism.

I have discussed Jesus with Christians many times and I have never been told that intolerance was his most important characteristic. I have been told that his love, kindness and caring for people were what distinguished him. So anyone who focuses on intolerance and divisiveness, in my opinion is a hateful person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke

Actually, my comment to this poster about his health was not made in any "backhanded" manner. When I learned that he was a cancer patient I was truly sorry for him and wish him good health. However, I do believe that his physical disease has perhaps affected his psychological state and I still suggest that he get professional psychological help.

Peace and good health"

--Avi, the more you explain yourself the more you reveal your hypocrisy and tendency to slide into slandering your religious opponent. It isn't mental illness that made Jesus Christ criticize Pharaisic Judaism and isn't mental illness when I do it too. I get so sick and tired of people slinging mud at me with accusations of craziness because I dare criticize Judaism's foibles. I can and will talk about why Jesus found much to criticize in Pharaisic Judaism and doing so is not being crazy or "intolerant and race-hating" it is explaining why Jesus parted with Pharaisic teachings. If you criticize Catholicism or Islam does that automatically mean you are crazy with hatred of all Catholics or Muslims? No. Jewish people need to separate criticism of Jewish beliefs from racial hatred of Jews. When they fail to do this it smacks of paranoia, fear of others without justification and as I pointed out before, here in America, there really is no justification for Jewish paranoia. Paranoia is a mental illness but criticism of it is not.

I get so sick and tired of people slinging mud at me with accusations of craziness because I dare criticize Judaism's foibles. I can and will talk about why Jesus found much to criticize in Pharaisic Judaism and doing so is not being crazy or "intolerant and race-hating" it is explaining why Jesus parted with Pharaisic teachings.
People will stick with tactics that work, and this tactic has been used successfully for a long time.

When they fail to do this it smacks of paranoia, fear of others without justification
It is not paranoia when they really are out to get you.
Probably a knee jerk reaction to being a target for so long.
This just makes it necessary to revise the format one puts their criticisms into so that it doesn't fit into an aggressive profile.

Britains 'two faced machinations'- wonder how history would have turned out had Britain been more politically fair to all concerned; instead the same old political machinations and we are living under the dark cloud. We must not forget the Zionist Christians part in all of this. Good article Shawn, easy to forget all the details if your not a historian.

American Thinker: Triple Cross: How Britain Created the Arab-Israel Conflict

found this on another forum concerning the OP

“Non-Jewish property belongs to the Jew who uses it first” - (Babba Bathra 54b)
from-

Koran says Torah and Gospel not corrupted - ConflictingViews.com - Political forum, Discussion Board, Religious forum, forum's forum

Nativeastral, I think you have some good points below.

Britains 'two faced machinations'- wonder how history would have turned out had Britain been more politically fair to all concerned; instead the same old political machinations and we are living under the dark cloud. We must not forget the Zionist Christians part in all of this. Good article Shawn, easy to forget all the details if your not a historian.

American Thinker: Triple Cross: How Britain Created the Arab-Israel Conflict

found this on another forum concerning the OP

from-

Koran says Torah and Gospel not corrupted - ConflictingViews.com - Political forum, Discussion Board, Religious forum, forum's forum

But I am not clear on the point of the Babba Bathra quote though ? At first reading it does not sound good or right to me. Where did this quote come from ?

Nativeastral, I think you have some good points below.

But I am not clear on the point of the Babba Bathra quote though ? At first reading it does not sound good or right to me. Where did this quote come from ?

l just came across it from the forum post posted [you have to scroll down to see that quote]; came across it by chance but maybe shouldn't have used it since l don't know its provenance, but do we ever on some of these sites?. Sounds quranic though..

wait, just wiki'd it

Bava Batra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nativeastral, I found that quote in the link you provided, but I have some doubt about its authenticity. I have read enough Talmud myself to know that a quote that like is: 1) translated from Hebrew, 2) subject to interpretation, and 3) taken out of context.

The way it sounds in isolation, the way it is quoted, looks like Jewish laws advocate for some sort of anarchistic property grabbing system. That is not my view of the Talmudic legal system at all. In fact in my experience of studying Talmud , the ideas espoused there are foundational to early Christian Church Canon law. I do not believe that property grabbing is in the Talmud.

l just came across it from the forum post posted [you have to scroll down to see that quote]; came across it by chance but maybe shouldn't have used it since l don't know its provenance, but do we ever on some of these sites?. Sounds quranic though..

wait, just wiki'd it

Bava Batra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is right, take a look at the wiki article, there is no discussion of the free for all property grabbing that the initial quote implies.

Nativeastral, I found that quote in the link you provided, but I have some doubt about its authenticity. I have read enough Talmud myself to know that a quote that like is: 1) translated from Hebrew, 2) subject to interpretation, and 3) taken out of context.

The way it sounds in isolation, the way it is quoted, looks like Jewish laws advocate for some sort of anarchistic property grabbing system. That is not my view of the Talmudic legal system at all. In fact in my experience of studying Talmud , the ideas espoused there are foundational to early Christian Church Canon law. I do not believe that property grabbing is in the Talmud.

that wiki article didn't say much..as you say as it was posted by a muslim perhaps re-translated.

It cannot be denied that all wars etc over history etc have involved 'property grabbing' surely?!

It cannot be denied that all wars etc over history etc have involved 'property grabbing' surely?!

Yes, I agree with you. And as you said in your earlier post, Britain played in important role in creating the current environment in the Middle East.

Do you have additional thoughts on the role that Britain played in the post WWI Middle East ?

Do you have additional thoughts on the role that Britain played in the post WWI Middle East ?

Actually, I would be interested to learn BB's views on this issue as well ??

I said:
I think it's fair to say our Jewish members have gone through a rough time on the boards of late: not least the round condemnation of Israel's invasion of Gaza, but also the resulting erroneous association of Israel=Judaism; plus we've had the resurgence of a Neo Nazi on the forums; and now someone who has had a whole string of aliases banned has returned and started out in such a way that more recent Jewish members think he could be a Neo Nazi as well. IO has even been accused a few times over the past week of having a Jewish bias. If I were Jewish, I'd probably feel twitchy.
the fact is, it isn't just the boards, it's also the other blogs and discussions i'm involved in, the MSM (mainstream media) and general discourse. i've never seen it so bad. i don't remember attacks on chabad houses and chaplains getting tortured to death. i don't remember when synagogues in north london were getting firebombed and people who dress traditionally getting attacked in the street. i don't remember people i thought i knew turning on me and getting vicious - and i'm not even a right-winger! as a parent, i'm also pretty damn aware when the security budget for my child's school gets upped by 50% because we need a full-time guard and the government and police say they can't afford to protect us. compared to that, an increased level of nastiness on web forums is merely the static, not the signal. if people think i am being paranoid or confrontational, perhaps they aren't appreciating what is going on in real life. in such a situation, you yourselves might get a little short being less inclined to put up with people indulging themselves with a little light virtual jew-bashing. one might even think that i could be forgiven for failing to be inclined to spend my time separating out the self-righteous tossers from the truly nasty racists - obviously i'd far rather speak to the former than the latter, wouldn't i?

And the Judaism board has, so far, been a jewel in terms of faith dialogue, with some great discussions between BB and Dauer on intra-Jewish issues, plus some great additional feedback from interested persons such as Bob X (see the recent Base 7 counting thread - brief, but extremely interesting). It's exactly the sort of thing that underlines the forums best founding intentions.
thanks, brian. dauer, bob (and avi) and i disagree fundamentally on many issues, but we always try and keep it civil.

blanket assertions that Judaism is all wrong
yes - far better to ask "what does X mean?" or "what is Y about?" than put it in terms of "isn't it true that X?" or "why is it that Y?" - we can all spot a rhetorical question or one expecting a predictable answer; what's the point?

nativeastral said:
if by disrespect you mean questioning held fast beliefs then surely ones faith is not strong enough to withstand such scratching or 'subversion'; interfaith dialogue means just that and doubt is the other side of certainty so you cannot have one without a little bit of the other.
look, you can question fast held beliefs without going "only an idiot/bigot/child molester/murderer would think anything other than X" or assert that an entire system is set up to serve the nefarious purposes of the aforementioned IBCMMs. as carl sagan would put it, extraordinary assertions demand extraordinary proof. and when you've been dialoguing as long as i have, you can recognise someone that is only looking for either violent agreement or violent conflict, that "my way or the highway" tone. accusations of the same against a class of people is simply a debating tactic seeking to preclude by pre-emption.

cant comment, cant study here when we are gagged because of personal insults?
what nonsense. are you seriously suggesting that you are unable to discuss the above without falling foul of paranoia? that is ridiculous.

holysmoke said:
Show proof of hatred of Jews in anything I've posted.
would you prefer "presumption of guilt"?

You do not seem to know the difference between dislike of theologies or ideologies and hatred of people.
you do not seem to know the difference between general dislike and specific disagreement. you've not yet provided a specific example, preferring instead to beg the question by positing a "jewish paranoia of gentiles" backed up by your own specific experience as if it proved a rule and then going on to base thinking on it as if it had been proved rather than asserted.

your religion's territorial enterprise
there you go again. you talk as if judaism is monolithic, as if i had signed a pledge somewhere to defend the views, policies and actions of everyone from avigdor leiberman to noam federman or moshe feiglin by the fact of sharing a religion with them. you seek to hold me responsible for their actions and, truth to tell, they are obviously capable of embarrassing me, but unfortunately i don't run a "jewish inquisition" with a brief to anathematise jews whose views, policies and actions i strongly disapprove of. my common ground with them is assumed, not asked as an open question. you speak as if i was accountable to you for the actions of the israeli government, for the actions of people many of whom would consider me as not only a dangerous liberal, but tantamount to a traitor. all i can say is this: these people do not own judaism, but then again, neither do i. all i can do is to fight my corner and fight for a judaism that i am rightly proud of.

I know all about ben Pantera being much earlier than Jesus Christ of the Gospels. It's additional evidence that Yeishu ben Pantera and Jesus Christ are linked because the time differential gives time for oral legends of Yeishu to expand and magnify with supernatural mythology as well as give time to explain how Christians were in Rome so very early on and how Paul supposedly starting his ministry only a few years after Jesus' death met established Christian church communities in his travels.
christians were in rome so very early on because many of them had previously been jews, albeit probably first or second-generation converts; it was, i think many of these "soft" converts that allowed christianity to take hold so fast as they were already as it were more or less there, but struggling with the stringency of the prohibitions, so when paul wanted to relax the religious requirements, he was, as it were, going with the market. remember, at this time, christianity and judaism were not separate and, indeed, judaism was not awfully unified. on this site: The Jesus Narrative In The Talmud is an excellent exposition of why jesus and "yeshu ha-notzri" were not the same people and "ben pantera" and "ben stada" were two different people as well. it's pretty convincing as far as i can see.

Of course Jesus Christ wasn't a prophet to Jews. How could a mythical man be such?
who's saying he was mythical? i certainly believe he was a real person. i just don't believe he did the things that were written about him centuries later by his adherents, nor, i am sure, did even those actions qualify him for prophethood, let alone messiahship.

Especially one who opposed the rabbinical route and opposed anyone claiming themselves teachers (rabbis or more correctly, masters)?
well, correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought his disciples called him "rabbi"? i've certainly heard that a lot - particularly from so-called "messianic jews", or "christians" as they should actually be known.

But I'm not mythical and the message I bring is universal which means it applies to Jews as much as anyone else who's prior religious beliefs are no longer appropriate for today and tomorrow's world.
hehe. for you to make such an association you'd have to prove that my religious beliefs are "no longer appropriate". go on, then, clever-pants. what's wrong with my keeping Shabbat?

I get so sick and tired of people slinging mud at me with accusations of craziness because I dare criticize Judaism's foibles.
that's not why people think you're crazy. they think you're crazy because you think you're a prophet. the fact that you have daft ideas about judaism is simply pathological for most of the false messiahs we've had to cope with over the centuries.

Bandit said:
Jesus was a jewish heretic and any jews who follow jesus are jewish heretics.
strictly speaking, they are apostates. heresy is kind of a technicality, seeing as we don't have any agreed standard for systematic theology.

Shabbetai was declared a jewish heretic by jews.
no, he was put in "herem", which means, more or less, excommunicated, which meant that he was no longer eligible to participate in communal activities since he had excluded himself from the community by converting to islam.

Take the last two jews of kabul for example.
yes, that is rather sad, i believe there's only one left now and he does his best to argue with himself.

Then there is this whole nation/mother/tribe/father thing going on and even modern jews still have little tolerance toward other religons or the other people when a child marries outside of the jewish religion or changes religion. Talk about a bias!
on what basis can you claim that i have little tolerance towards other religions? and, yes, of course intermarriage and assimilation have been tragic for us, but surely that is our own fault for not making judaism an attractive enough option when it became an option?

You should look at the codes and legal matters in jewish courts conerning their own heretics.
go on then, let's see a concrete example rather than a generalised slur.

nativeastral said:
this needs its own thread. i'll start one. however, this is a good place to start:

Theft From Gentiles

well, this is one of the classic ways that jew-haters try and "prove" that we have a "religious duty" to "steal" things that belong to non-jews, which is how they try and turn the israel-palestine thing into a religious conflict, which it really isn't and hopefully won't be.

Avi1223 said:
Actually, I would be interested to learn BB's views on this issue as well ??
britain made a lot of contradictory promises to a lot of contradictory people. as a brit, i feel that much can be laid at the feet of the "empire" due to their habit of drawing a line down the middle, buggering off and leaving the local factions to fight it out, from where we get the intractable conflicts in israel/palestine, cyprus, india/pakistan and ireland. it was a combination of arrogance, realpolitik and incompetence.

b'shalom

bananabrain

BB, I agree with your sentiments stated above.

One thing that I think we really have to be careful of is race baiting. That is what the poster that we are discussing does. He baited me into a brief discussion about Pharassic Judaism. I should not have even entered that discussion because, as you said earlier, it is like the "how often do you beat your wife" ? type of loaded question. Any answer to that question is a loser.

This approach of racial baiting underlays racial hatred. You mention "presumption of guilt". I listed 5 quotes and you listed about as many others that make that presumption clear. No assumption is needed. The poster made his position clear by his own postings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back