"Smorgasbord" Religion, Being of a Faith, and the Personal Journey

"Truth" has become such a loaded word that it can no longer mean the distinction between TRUE and FALSE.

A better word is probably "Value" rather than "Truth." There is value in all these paths. The distinction should be between VALUE and ZERO.

I tend to think in terms of beneficial/harmful or most harmonious/not. There is just more spectrum than true/false or right/wrong. There's a lot of stuff that is neither or unknowable. But usually, with reflection, one can discern if it is beneficial, wholesome, or harmonious to the self. And often, whether it is the best possible path at that time for the self. I'm quite skeptical about judging things beyond that, unless they are clearly harmful.

As for agnosticism... I would think anyone who is honest about one's limitations would qualify as an agnostic. Otherwise, we seem a bit arrogant in my opinion.

Hi Dondi, (cough - tao - cough),
I hope you don't mind me cutting in for a moment, but I am intrigued by your above post. I wonder if you would be so kind as to expand of this shift of mindset from mysticism to athiesm. What exactly convinced you that the mysticism you experienced is an illusion? How do you explain the precognitive and OOB lucid dreams you had, for instance?

For each of these types of 'supernatural' style beliefs I had props of 'evidence' to support them. As I looked at more and more in every way my senses allowed more and more of these props were found by me to be illusions. My lucid dream/OBE for example had been primed by reading about the subject and employing breathing exercises that amount to meditation. I am 13 years old at this time. I have it, after many unsuccessful attempts at home, alone in the hills, laying flat upon a cushion of heather in my sleeping bag, star gazing alone with my first telescope. I wanted it so bad and was so focussed I created a lucid dream. But I borrowed all the 'imagery' from books and tv. I created the dream from what I had learned and accepted a cause I wanted to believe at that time.

I think the turning point for me, when I started to wholesale reject large swathes of my thinking, was a natural evolution of my thirst to know things. I want to know, as much as I can, what is this space we inhabit and how things work and co-exist together. The change was when I really began to do this by the study of what things are not. And this remains a multi-layered filter of every 'idea' for me. It was when I was able to become truly 'neutral' and evaluate without preconception or bias that the whole weight of belief, *think* scale held imbalanced by a thread, finally beame to much for it to hold and it swung. When I really began to understand the scale of what we do not...and cannot....know I began to see the futility in trying. Not a depressive futility, but a practical one. Since then I just look at things as having merit on the basis of their observational or philosophical justification. Religions and belief in general always confuse the two, only one is entirely man made.

Hi PoO and my apology for only responding specifically to only one paragraph.

That's all right. :)

Been a while since I looked but I think even wiki divides atheism into about 6 groupings. And it may well be that I most accurately slot into the 'agnostic' side of the spectrum. Yet that agnosticism is not necessarily a concession to religious style belief.

It may divide it into groupings, but from what I read, it is a debate about whether or not these things are atheism or not. That is, some people argue that agnositicism is "weak atheism," but that's an argument that seems to be kind of pointless. If there are several quite different stances/beliefs on the existence of deity/God and soul/spirit, then why would one lump them into a bigger term that is relatively useless as a distinction? From the point of view of someone interested in human society, cognition, and religion, that is like the term "plant" for a botanist. It just isn't very descriptive if there is little unity among the adherents. A person who believes in a universal energy but not a personal deity, for example, is still very different from a person who is a total materialist.

In some ways, that is what I feel about the term Christianity. But at least in that case, Christ's teachings are unifying a very diverse lot. There seems to be no equivalent unifying factor in these different "forms" of atheism, so why not just have a term for each type?

The puzzle analogy is perfect here. Sometimes doing a jigsaw puzzle a piece will jump out at you and you will know exactly where it fits into the big picture. Yet a single tounged piece will never fit into a space with 4 tounges.

But with the spiritual world, arguably we are creating our pieces through our own interpretations. This is all stuff that is only individually experienced. It isn't like piecing together the evolutionary tree or something. So I fail to see how it can be approached in that way, or how we can fail to acknowledge that we're all pretty much doing the same thing- inaccurately concluding stuff based on a realm we can only partially approach. Whether it exists or not is a mute point, as no one can ever prove or disprove it. What is a better question, in my opinion, is how one's belief system and spiritual experiences impact one's own life.

To me religions, spiritual beliefs or whatever attempt to say they are the whole picture or their god is or created the whole picture.

Not all religions do this. To limit it this way is to deny religious diversity. Some religions, such as Buddhism, say the exact opposite and others, such as many animistic/shamanic systems, don't focus on the "whole picture" at all, preferring a localized approach.

They are the product of human mind, culture and history and deal with that and not the wider nature of the reality I find so captivating. If you are always relating your view of reality through the crude glass of a single, however complex, lense you are only going to get the image of what that lense was self manufactured to 'correct' to.

All humans see reality through a crude lens. It is part of the human condition. We are culturally conditioned. We can choose to be aware of this conditioning, though. Relegating such conditioning to "religion" and not acknowledging that this happens regardless of one's religious beliefs is false.

Every 'believer' is a religion of one. Each has their own idioscyncratic interpretation whether they be like you or one that hangs their whole being on a narrow interpretation of a single book. There is a different lense for every one of us. If there were only two believers left alive there would still be two gods being proclaimed the real one. When someone says they understand it all they want you to know their interpretation.

That is true of every aspect of human social life. It is also how culture works. No group is a group of uniform individuals. The real question, as an anthropologist, is what holds a group together given our inherent individuality. That's a much more interesting question to me. What forms belonging, community? What forms our sense of identity?

Our religions are overwhelmingly regional and tribal.

Really? I don't think Buddhism is much like that, and it is the religion of a fairly large group of people. Again, we shouldn't limit our views of religion in such conversation to the Western ones.

The emergence of advanced cognition was an adaptive evolutionary advantage, it evolved, it was not 'bestowed'. We can observe its emergence in other species including monkeys, primates, birds and several other land and marine mamillian animals. And even some invertebrate species have highly complex language for a communual purpose so altrustic it would put any Christian or Marxist to shame! Do we want to proseltyse to the Bees? (No, we just target their Queen ;) ) Teach our captive bred parrots to say 'amen' ?, (has to have happened many times already :( ).

So what is your point? I don't need to believe humans are different from other beings, or were created uniquely, to have a spiritual life. In fact, in many animistic systems, other beings are seen as having societies, powers, sentience, etc. just as humans are. I fail to see how evolution proves or disproves anything?

When I think about how humanity fits into the picture I first have to understand how humanity evolved yes, but more than that I have to be able to relate it 'dispassionately'. Someone looking always through a lense of inevitabley flawed and self unique belief cannot do that. And this is why I say I have no belief, that my atheism is not a belief but an absence of one.

I am highly skeptical that anyone can exist without a lense of "flawed and self unique belief." Sorry, but I would say you have this just as much as me or anyone. It is part of being human. We exist with cultural conditioning, and you exhibit yours through your assumptions behind your statements about "religion" in general, when you are mostly talking about Western world religions. I also don't see how being dispassionate about things is necessary. This also tracks to a Western scientific worldview that values a lack of emotional investment in one's inquiry. But why is that more valuable as a worldview than others?

But accepting repeatable scientific observations is not a religion. It is just plain common sense. No matter how some would twist it to be something else. And with science you can look at, if not answer, everything and anything.

First, scientific observation only works for certain things- observable things. Spiritual experience is necessarily individually and broadly understood as transcendent of material life, so I fail to see how Western science has jurisdiction. Most scientists I have met agree with me. That is why the university places the study of religion in the humanities, and in the social sciences, it is studied as a social institution but not as a "proof/disproof." Such studies would be pointless and largely laughable. Sicence is not something that answers everything. It is one form of inquiry and knowing among many, and that is why the entire university is not the school of science, but we also have other schools- the humanities, the arts, the social sciences.

A total unbending in this indicates a faith in science that most scientists do not have, a faith that approaches religious belief in that it is unjustified.

For good science though, clear sight is a must.

I think postmodern critiques tackle this pretty well. I would suggest reading some. "Clear sight" is nearly impossible, if not entirely so. A good scientist will recognize this and work toward acknowledging and understanding their own obstructions so that their inquiries are done honestly. But no one can ever get rid of their own assumptions. We just replace some with others.

Anthropology is a science with many unkowns and unknowables. The data you work with is inevitably fragmentary. A lot of it is little more than, as far is actually possible guesswork, educated guesswork.

That sounds like many, if not all, of the sciences. I recently had a discussion with an astrophysicist who talked about this with me.

Furthermore, as religion falls under "how people think" not "how the world works," I would say it is outside the boundaries of what the natural sciences can effectively study. If the Divine exists, then religion or the spiritual life is the intersection of something beyond the observable/experimentable world with the human soul/spirit. That is clearly outside the boundaries of natural science. If the Divine does not exist, then religion or the spiritual life is inside the human mind and the cultural life, which we already know cannot be reduced to mere biological factors by its emergent nature. So again, it would seem we need to turn to other methods of inquiry.

It will make little definitive difference outside of a very localised context.

How can you prove or justify this statement? If this were true, no one would try to theorize or generalize about society or culture, about the human mind, and so forth. That anthropologists have always done so and continue to do so contradicts your statement. No offense, but I fail to see how someone has the right to define a scientific field and its boundaries for the scientists involved in it? :eek:

Every question leads to only more. Sometimes a few pieces show something, othertimes you are able to connect one piece to another. But they never are the whole. And for me it would simply feel dishonest to say I could even guess at what reality is.

Isn't that the point of science? Science isn't about finding the answers, but about becoming aware of the next set of questions. That is the drive behind scientific inquiry.

But I can see what religious and superstitious belief is. And I see it as a self crafted myopic lense. As I shall explain in my reply to Dondi....

I think such a statement indicates the self-crafted lense of the person who says it more than can encapsulate the breadth and depth of religious diversity in the world.

I'm sorry to say, such a view is crude by both humanities and scientific standards. You criticize religion for making sweeping generalizations, unfounded assumptions, and overrunning the diversity of human thought... yet you do the same. :eek: The only way out, in my opinion, is to be honest with oneself and say "I do not know what is beyond my own life experience, and my own observations are interpreted through my own limitations- in personality, in intelligence, in learning style, in cultural worldview." This is honest. It does not priviledge onself over others.

Someone looking always through a lense of inevitabley flawed and self unique belief cannot do that. And this is why I say I have no belief, that my atheism is not a belief but an absence of one.

Still, I think that to say that you have no beliefs is extraordinary, and remember what you said. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.;)

There's a range of different ways we could explore this. I could give non-religious, as well as religious examples.

But first, whether I discuss religious or non-religious examples, I'd like to explain my theory. My theory is that beliefs are a very important part of life. It's like your feelings. Beliefs are similar to feelings. It's all part of a mental and emotional framework. Our mental and emotional framework defines the reality we see. Feelings and beliefs are a part of that framework. If you say that you have no feelings and beliefs, that's a part of your mind that is missing. It is a part of your nature that is missing, if we assume feelings and beliefs are a part of human nature. Because I can't "prove" that anything is a part of my nature except from my own personal experience, I might just avoid, for now, a discussion about human nature.

Beliefs are an assertion in your mind that something is either true or false, or a preference to assert one thing as true or false more than another. If you assert that you have "no beliefs," then you must have some degree of belief that you have "no beliefs," however strong or weak that "belief" or assertion must be.

But consider the other aspects of your life. Do you not form judgments about people? Do you have a conscience, a sense of ethics? What about your personal qualities and abilities? What do you think of yourself? How do you see yourself? That is important when you're applying for a job. What about your beliefs about your relationships with people? Do you believe your spouse/partner loves you? Do you believe your children and parents love you? Do you trust your friends? Are your friends reliable?

Perhaps what you mean is you have "no religious belief," no belief in the supernatural, but then all you need to say is that you're an atheist and that you have "no beliefs in any God or gods." Life isn't all about religion, and if you go by the theory that you must believe in something to live as a human being, then what keeps you going everyday is not belief in religion or the supernatural, but what everybody else does in spite of religion -- sleep, eat, drink, talk, work, etc.

To claim the absence of belief, therefore, is an extraordinary claim. It doesn't make sense to me because reality is driven by beliefs. A mind with no beliefs is a mind that doesn't see any reality at all. It's a mind that sees nothing, not even darkness. The least I could say is that what you call "belief" is not the same as what I call "belief," but I would like it if we could at least agree on the meaning of this one single word because "beliefs" are so important.

Considering what you said in that last post (post #57), I think it's kind of "extraordinary" to say you don't have beliefs. You do believe in something, but it's not necessarily what most people discuss when they discuss religion and the supernatural.

Here is something I said in an earlier post about myself:

To name a few, I am a subjectivist, anarchist, individualist, nihilist, anthropocentrist and a pluralist.

I would like to discuss subjectivism here, because what you said in post #57 seems to be a belief in subjectivism.

The opposing belief to subjectivism is objectivism. Subjectivism is the belief in subjectivity and subjective reality. Objectivism is the belief in objectivity and objective reality.

In post #57, you seem, very much to be describing a belief in subjective reality, that nobody has a grasp of the "big picture," that it's impossible to see the entire picture. Everybody is only able to see a part or facet of the big picture based on their personal experiences. Our personal experiences shape the way we think about the reality we observe and see.

Subjectivity and subjectivism is not a belief about directly identifiable objects and entities, unlike atheism. With atheism specifically, that identifiable object or entity is God. Subjectivity and subjectivism is what I would like to call a meta-belief (a term I conveniently made up). It is a belief about beliefs. It doesn't refer to any identifiable object or entity. It refers to beliefs themselves.

If you say that you have absolutely no beliefs, there must be a way of rationalising it.:) That rationalisation is that you're a subjectivist. You believe in subjectivity. You believe in a subjective reality where nobody can ever see the big picture. You can only have an opinion. In a subjective reality, there are no facts. There are only opinions.

Your belief is not about directly identifiable objects or entities like God, spirits, angels, demons, Christ, heaven, etc., but about your own beliefs. According to this theory of mine, it isn't true that you have "absolutely no beliefs." It's just that they are beliefs about other beliefs. You have meta-beliefs.

It's not to shoot down your extraordinary claims to have "no beliefs." It's just to explain it away.:)

When most people think of beliefs, they think in terms of God, spirits, angels, demons, Christ, heaven, etc., but if you're a subjectivist, you think on an entirely different level or plane. PathOfOne, if I understand her correctly, seems to be a bit of a subjectivist herself.

LOL- Salty, what a great conversation.

And yes, I am a subjectivist. Furthermore, I believe my beliefs don't have much in the way of consequence outside of how they impact my life in this moment. Which is why I say right/wrong is not really a judgement that is interesting to me, compared with beneficial/not.

I think what I'm pushing Tao on is that his subjectivist assertions do not align with any generalized assertions about religion, deity, and so forth, without the caveat that it is a temporary belief and likely inaccurate.

His underlying logic of subjectivism belies his statements about religion, the human condition/nature, and God. The two are at odds within his own logic.

As I see it, by stating my beliefs are transitory and what matters to me is each moment, I am aligning my beliefs with my meta-belief, as you say. When I do this, I am not confuzzled (a word I will make up)- I am not making my mind fuzzy with ideas that do not align.

ETA: By the way, I find this fits in great with scientific inquiry. I am interested in the usefulness of science. So, to me, theories about the human condition, society, etc. are tested in usefulness- do they help with any problem. I am not searching for accurate ideas as much as I am searching for useful ones. The rest is really just mental entertainment, so I fail to see the point beyond filling up any moments of boredom.

I think what I'm pushing Tao on is that his subjectivist assertions do not align with any generalized assertions about religion, deity, and so forth, without the caveat that it is a temporary belief and likely inaccurate.

Tao? Oh boy! Who was this I just talked to? You must be kidding. Or maybe not . . .

I heard from somewhere that he was banned. I don't know the story and don't know how it happened, as I didn't really find his posts, to put it crudely, that bad. Apart from a few posts about Israel and discussions with c0de about Islam, a few mildly unfavourable things said about Christianity (which I didn't consider "abrasive" or "hateful"), I thought what he was doing was fairly reasonable.

But then again, I didn't really follow his posts and I wasn't ubiquitous in the way I explored the forums. Whatever his offences, they fell outside the scope of my reality.

I was aware, a few weeks back of a new member named NewDawn and I got the impression from some posts in the Feedback or Lounge section that Tao had reincarnated himself as NewDawn. I was thinking of asking, as a kind of joke, "is this a reincarnation of Tao, or is it Tao possessing the body of NewDawn?"

So what happened to NewDawn? Did he die and is Tao now reincarnated as inuk?

Is this the new Rider-In-The-Storm?

But anyway . . . Oh darn! What have I been saying these last one or two months? All the while I didn't know this was Tao. Some of the slander that has left my mouth I will need to withdraw . . .

Yeah it's kind of intimidating when I see him in a thread. The name Tao kind of psyches me out. It sounds like some kind of authority figure. When I found out Tao was gone, I was kind of celebrating privately in my mind. Yahoo! Tao is gone . . . I am free! I didn't have to fear Tao anymore.

His underlying logic of subjectivism belies his statements about religion, the human condition/nature, and God. The two are at odds within his own logic.

I don't think inuk (or Tao if you like) even knew he was a subjectivist (assuming my theory is correct). What a surprise! What a discovery!

Then again, it's just my perception. Inuk is a subjectivist in my reality. He may not agree, so we may have to convince him that he is one.:D

Hi Juan :),

Let an atheist spend a month in the woods without any modern conveniences...see if they are still atheist when they return. :) Don't know what they would become, but I have some deep reservations about whether they would remain atheist.

:) I have had more than one taste of Waldens Pond. The beauty and profound sense of privilege in observing nature has been palpably uplifting for me on countless occasions. I grew up right on the edge of my city, 100yards/metres up my own street I could enter woodland that led to unpopulated wood, bog and hill, I could walk for 30 miles without having to cross a paved road. On my Dads side we have generations of wood-workers and he passed some knowledge of wood and what the different trees were used for. I spent a lot of time in the woods. I would bunk of school for weeks at a time if the weather was good and spend the day in the woods with a good book in favourite places. The wildlife gets used to you and you see so much. I also became friends with a forester who looks like little john or grissly adams with all that kind of persona to boot. A gentle wise giant of the woods. I grew up intimate with a wood. But I also grew up intimate with the museums and libraries, they being my place of choice to go when I was still skiving school....but the weather was bad. The National Museum of Scotland has a large natural history section, big enough for its main hall to have an adult blue whale skeleton suspended within its three floors. And I loved learning everything that resource had to teach me. So I am grateful for having both country and city. By the time I left school I had an intimate knowledge of a woodland and good foundation of my ongoing education in natural history. Soon after I began my wanderings where I got stuck in Greece for 5 1/2 years. Working on an orchard, a controlled woodland!! It was full immersion. Living five miles from a tiny village on one of the great Peloponessian olive cloaked plateaus. With a reputable correspondence college I learned the theory of pruning and cutting, reproduction, and the biology of different pathogens and symbiotic or aprophitic organisms associated with it. And I learned nurseryman skills.
On my return home after a years intensive schooling I set up a business that advised on and implemented native woodland regeneration. Taking advantage of Thatcher government grants to rich land owners to plant woods, (which usually resulted in "living dead" monoculture across the wild face of the UK). I have personally protected and encouraged many square miles of wild woodland and have an intimate understanding of how to let nature do most of the work itself. It was not only the whole that fascinated me, I made quite a detailed personal observation of woodland fungi of these temperate Atlantic rainforests. Especially the ones that aid trees to fix nitrogen. I have old friends and colleagues that know far more than me yet I can say with some confidence my knowledge of the ecology of native woodlands is well above average. It is beautiful and it never stops grabbing you by the heartstrings. But I see invoking god into its existence is just adding a name to that exclamation of wonder where no name is required nor meaningfully exists. There is a natural god-less explanation for everything we can study that has physical form, that is what we see that makes us go wow! Real things.

My love of woodland has even touched a member here who's fathers land now grows dozens of new trees organised and selected by me.

Sorry Juantoo, but this time you picked on the wrong atheist :p

Salty,

SHHHHHH!!! Be quiet!! The Tao that can be named is not the real Tao!!

I will need to respond to both you and PoO later, for there is so much to respond to :) And there is nothing to fear!! There never was I am just an old ranting scot and my words will make no difference to anything ;)

Hello again PoO, :)
It may divide it into groupings, but from what I read, it is a debate about whether or not these things are atheism or not. That is, some people argue that agnositicism is "weak atheism," but that's an argument that seems to be kind of pointless. If there are several quite different stances/beliefs on the existence of deity/God and soul/spirit, then why would one lump them into a bigger term that is relatively useless as a distinction? From the point of view of someone interested in human society, cognition, and religion, that is like the term "plant" for a botanist. It just isn't very descriptive if there is little unity among the adherents. A person who believes in a universal energy but not a personal deity, for example, is still very different from a person who is a total materialist.
Of course we must remember that the words are only labels or symbols to communicate as concisely and accurately as we are able. I use atheism because it is accurate enough to convey what I feel I am. I do not believe that the gods, deities or the expression of supernatural cause and effect is anything more than a creation of the human imagination. And I do that based on what I have observed. But I did not set out to reach that conclusion, rather that conclusion made itself so powerful in its evidence that I had no choice but accept it.

In some ways, that is what I feel about the term Christianity. But at least in that case, Christ's teachings are unifying a very diverse lot. There seems to be no equivalent unifying factor in these different "forms" of atheism, so why not just have a term for each type?
Atheists on the whole don't form gangs of 'like minds' to proseltyse their thinking. A handful do make a decent living off it and some use it negatively too. As a support for racist eugenic thinking for example. But most atheists wish religion would just go away quietly without them noticing.

Not all religions do this. To limit it this way is to deny religious diversity. Some religions, such as Buddhism, say the exact opposite and others, such as many animistic/shamanic systems, don't focus on the "whole picture" at all, preferring a localized approach.
The religion is to my mind irrelevant. No matter the religion when it gets down to the individual it is precisely that, individual. The cocktail of cause, manifestation and meaning when that individual practices their belief always means that not two people share exactly the same belief for exactly the same reasons. You can generalise and divide into groups and subgroups. Those that have a purely indoctrinated unquestioning faith delivered like automaton and verbatim to those that create for themselves their own highly complex and ritualised paradigm. Each and every person that believes in supernatural causes and effects and that they are the result of some being or pseudo-human sense of justice and good has simply not looked honestly at all the available critical evidence to the contrary. And it is vast. And as an anthropologist I find it difficult to fathom that you have not seen a fairly potent body of it. Yet as long as you cling tightly to that you see as precious and good you wont see it. You are incapable of being neutral when you have belief. What allows me to call myself an atheist is not that I have embraced something else but rejected the supernatural explanations for what humanity likes to call 'belief'. And I remain neutral to all that I observe as a result. As another son of Edinburgh wrote in Sherlock Holms, " You know my methods, Watson. There was not one of them which I did not apply to the inquiry. And it ended by my discovering traces, but very different ones from those which I had expected." I did at one time want to believe there was more to 'life' than its material existence. The evidence says there is no evidence for that belief and a lot of evidence to show that it is fraudulent, full of charlatans, deception, self-deception, politics, greed and more. In fact my belief is religious belief does far more harm than good. No, not for everybody, but as a mass effect it is divisive, prejudiced and counter to being able to meet the needs of the global village we have evolved.

All humans see reality through a crude lens. It is part of the human condition. We are culturally conditioned. We can choose to be aware of this conditioning, though. Relegating such conditioning to "religion" and not acknowledging that this happens regardless of one's religious beliefs is false.
We all have several lenses we use to make sense of things but the religious one will always be that bit different for it is a deliberate distortion of reality. It creates a fuzzy image that, like seeing faces in a cloud or a pattern in the tea leaves in a cup, are actually meaningless. Wishful thinking imposed on randomness. There are now mountains of observational tests that all show there is no supernatural causation to any of the claims of those that profess them. Yet it remains real to the believer. And only the believer. Cultural conditioning gives us the initial glob of molten glass, encourages us to grind that lens and for most people they are quietly content to accept varying degrees of superstition in their lives. Most Muslims born into Muslim families will die Muslims, as will Catholics and Buddhists. A long look at all belief throws up many traces time and time again. So much so that I can only conclude it a creation of the imagination.

That is true of every aspect of human social life. It is also how culture works. No group is a group of uniform individuals. The real question, as an anthropologist, is what holds a group together given our inherent individuality. That's a much more interesting question to me. What forms belonging, community? What forms our sense of identity?
Survival within and with the group.

Really? I don't think Buddhism is much like that, and it is the religion of a fairly large group of people. Again, we shouldn't limit our views of religion in such conversation to the Western ones.
I disagree but I will hold off from saying why Buddhism is the same till another opportunity, it actually deserves its own thread.

So what is your point? I don't need to believe humans are different from other beings, or were created uniquely, to have a spiritual life. In fact, in many animistic systems, other beings are seen as having societies, powers, sentience, etc. just as humans are. I fail to see how evolution proves or disproves anything?
Evolution clearly defines how we evolved. Animistic societies are sometimes looked at through a rose-tinted, yearning nostalgia. Where tribes of isolated peoples still practice animism, and we observe, we see very many ridiculous ideas, and a few genuinely founded ones that are real aid to social cohesion and survival. The well founded and the unfounded are all twisted together. Inseparable. And modern belief systems are still just as confused.

I am highly skeptical that anyone can exist without a lense of "flawed and self unique belief." Sorry, but I would say you have this just as much as me or anyone. It is part of being human. We exist with cultural conditioning, and you exhibit yours through your assumptions behind your statements about "religion" in general, when you are mostly talking about Western world religions. I also don't see how being dispassionate about things is necessary. This also tracks to a Western scientific worldview that values a lack of emotional investment in one's inquiry. But why is that more valuable as a worldview than others?
I think that touches on something extremely important to understand my POV's on this site. I have no emotional attachment to belief and further see using belief as a method of expressing human emotions both fraught with confusion and a really sad statement of how little we value ourselves. Atheists of my variety love, are charitable, compassionate and far more liberal (not in the American pejorative tense), than someone who has given belief little or no thought. It is the big monotheisms that are most 'in my face' are where I have concentrated to date, and this will not change, but no religious or superstitious belief stands up to scrutiny as being anything more than that individuals chosen lens. An old lady carrying out her daily rituals of a blend of Buddhism and animism on the Tibetan plateaux is no different to the Catholic going to Mass. They both carry a lens through which to perceive a crafted vision. Not a real one. That lens can be removed, and I have.

First, scientific observation only works for certain things- observable things. Spiritual experience is necessarily individually and broadly understood as transcendent of material life, so I fail to see how Western science has jurisdiction. Most scientists I have met agree with me. That is why the university places the study of religion in the humanities, and in the social sciences, it is studied as a social institution but not as a "proof/disproof." Such studies would be pointless and largely laughable. Sicence is not something that answers everything. It is one form of inquiry and knowing among many, and that is why the entire university is not the school of science, but we also have other schools- the humanities, the arts, the social sciences.
Again I have to disagree with you, as I stated before science can observe anything and everything. It does not always get satisfactory answers, (but more often than not gets credible ones given available data), but it can still be used. Science can be and is used to study the arts, humanities and social sciences. But I am not a scientist. That religion falls under the remit of humanities in our secular educational establishments actually confirms quite succinctly all I say.

A total unbending in this indicates a faith in science that most scientists do not have, a faith that approaches religious belief in that it is unjustified.
What unbending faith in science do I have? I judge each bit of scientific evidence on its own merit. I do not have a wholesale faith in any science to ultimately define anything and sincerely hope I never will have.

I think postmodern critiques tackle this pretty well. I would suggest reading some. "Clear sight" is nearly impossible, if not entirely so. A good scientist will recognize this and work toward acknowledging and understanding their own obstructions so that their inquiries are done honestly. But no one can ever get rid of their own assumptions. We just replace some with others.
Most actual scientists these days are so specialised that the whole way you seem to approach it is irrelevant to what science is. It is not a single doctrine. I am just a curious man trying to know what is or is not real. Materially real. All my life I have been surrounded by the literature, conversation and paraphernalia of belief. I have put every religious/spiritual/supernatural claim through the sieve of many observations and found them all leading back to having their cause and manifestation solely in the human imagination. Science is the best tool we have for deciding if something is real or not real. I do not 'intuit' there is no god, spirit world, afterlife, angels etc...... I just see that there is not a shred of evidence for them. And when you do look for evidence you see nothing but delusion, self-delusion and too often fraud.

Furthermore, as religion falls under "how people think" not "how the world works," I would say it is outside the boundaries of what the natural sciences can effectively study. If the Divine exists, then religion or the spiritual life is the intersection of something beyond the observable/experimentable world with the human soul/spirit.
Psychology, neurology, anthropology, indeed very many ologies can do and have studied belief. Their results are unambiguous in that not one has produced a result that does not fit into the idea that there is no god/supernatural phenomena to be observed.

I'm sorry to say, such a view is crude by both humanities and scientific standards. You criticize religion for making sweeping generalizations, unfounded assumptions, and overrunning the diversity of human thought... yet you do the same. :eek: The only way out, in my opinion, is to be honest with oneself and say "I do not know what is beyond my own life experience, and my own observations are interpreted through my own limitations- in personality, in intelligence, in learning style, in cultural worldview." This is honest. It does not priviledge onself over others.

This last paragraph makes me feel so misunderstood. Its for all the world like you cannot accept I have no belief. Of course I have my views formed only by what little I learn. I cannot have a view on something I have no information about. But I have plenty of information about belief and have tested it in a life long rolling project. I have concluded to date, and I think this will remain the case without 'extraordinary' evidence, that individual belief is a psychological illusion, and belief starts and ends with the individual. The body of 'real' evidence I have to support that view is now mountainous. We can mince around words and you may think I have some superiority complex but for me I have no ego or emotional investment in this. I am only interested in the facts. I am a human being. Humans are important to me. Humans 'do' religion but everybody has their own version. I wanted to know what religion is why people invest in it and so I looked. I cannot help what I find. Being an atheist like me is not supplanting one lens with another. It is, as I have said all along, about throwing that lens away altogether. It does not make me 'special', I still love, cherish and value all my relationships with people. I hurt and bleed and yearn and need just like everybody else. You do not need belief to be human.

Still, I think that to say that you have no beliefs is extraordinary, and remember what you said. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.;)
I have no religious or supernaturally based beliefs. I believe a table is a table. I also know it. I believe the wood it was constructed with was once a tree. And I also know that too. I believe sunlight and water were important in making that tree. And I know this too. I believe that sunlight and water are plentiful in the universe. And yes I know it too. I believe that the human can use the ingenuity of its working brain to see patterns where none exist and ignore those that do exist if they are found to be uncomfortable. I do not believe sunlight and water is god and so I never pray for rain, even if it might save me watering. Belief is the constant application of a mental illusion to the human interface with reality. That blurred lens again. The believing parent that is poorly educated will cover his/her ignorance with "god did it" not only for their child but for themselves.

Subjectivity and subjectivism is not a belief about directly identifiable objects and entities, unlike atheism. With atheism specifically, that identifiable object or entity is God. Subjectivity and subjectivism is what I would like to call a meta-belief (a term I conveniently made up). It is a belief about beliefs. It doesn't refer to any identifiable object or entity. It refers to beliefs themselves.

If you say that you have absolutely no beliefs, there must be a way of rationalising it.:) That rationalisation is that you're a subjectivist. You believe in subjectivity. You believe in a subjective reality where nobody can ever see the big picture. You can only have an opinion. In a subjective reality, there are no facts. There are only opinions.

Yes but no but yes but no but.... I use every method of thinking I find useful including subjectivity and objectivity. My learning is from the same sources available to anyone here. My experience of and indulgence in learning is not the same as anyone else and the same is true for every one of us.

Your belief is not about directly identifiable objects or entities like God, spirits, angels, demons, Christ, heaven, etc., but about your own beliefs. According to this theory of mine, it isn't true that you have "absolutely no beliefs." It's just that they are beliefs about other beliefs. You have meta-beliefs.
I like to think that I can see what belief is in the human animal. How it evolved and the reasons it manifests itself so diversley. I think there is enough evidence that the ability to think about such notions is a consequence of clearly visible evolutionary changes in our brains. But our brains did not evolve to give life to the gods!! They evolved to use lateral thinking / forward planning as a survival technique. Our primate societies used metaphor for social cohesion, a social cohesion we required for survival, including defence from rival tribes. That is where god popped into existence, long long ago. But take away the humans and the gods are gone. I know these things because they have support in factual scientific evidence of such quality and quantity I would find it impossible to ignore or reach any other conclusion. So until such times as I see some extraordinary evidence......
PathOfOne, if I understand her correctly, seems to be a bit of a subjectivist herself.
When I engage with someone here the more interesting the conversation the more I feel I can begin to see the argument through their eyes. And then they go spoiling it with the next sentance :p If I still had my tarot deck I could go pull the Queen of Cups and be quietly stunned by how wrong I am! But I dont :D

Yeah it's kind of intimidating when I see him in a thread. The name Tao kind of psyches me out. It sounds like some kind of authority figure. When I found out Tao was gone, I was kind of celebrating privately in my mind. Yahoo! Tao is gone . . . I am free! I didn't have to fear Tao anymore.
:eek: I am not sure whether I should be laughing, alarmed or flattered at that! Maybe I should just go away again :( Let me just play this mournful violin piece before I depart...

YouTube - The Tweets - The Birdy Song(Chicken Edition)

Tao, I rather like seeing you back around here, you crusty old Scot. But, of course, for you to claim you hold no belief system is patently ludicrous. As vehemently as you have railed against any form of belief diverging from the scientific-materialist paradigm, there is no doubt to anyone other than you that you very much hold on to (emphasis on "hold on") a belief system.;):D earl

Tao, I rather like seeing you back around here, you crusty old Scot. But, of course, for you to claim you hold no belief system is patently ludicrous. As vehemently as you have railed against any form of belief diverging from the scientific-materialist paradigm, there is no doubt to anyone other than you that you very much hold on to (emphasis on "hold on") a belief system.;):D earl
PS, Tao-check out "scientism." I believe that encapsulates the views I have seen you share here over time. earl

TY :) You are of course entitled to you belief, and I mine. But I maintain that what compels my enquiry into reality is free of the obscuring lens of a belief system that has its roots in our cultural evolution. I understand it is impossible for anyone with a carefully invested and ritualised belief system to 'get it'. And I realise that such a claim can and probably will be seized upon as exactly what the 'believer' says in explaining belief. But just because belief systems and their proponents have 'commandeered' many linguistic terms does not make it so. Belief is rose coloured glasses, (or blood spattered in many cases). I still use lenses both metaphoric and actual to view everything yes, but none so flawed nor superfluous as the lens of belief.

:) If you should go down to the woods today....

Ah! That misses the point. I said something along the lines of "go down to the woods for a month." With no creature comforts, no modern conveniences, nothing resembling civilization to turn to as a crutch. It is an entirely different mindset...as I am certain you can attest, as you did seem to drop subtle cues in that general direction in your response. :D

I'm glad to see you back. ;)

Back