Most Wicked Guitar Solos of >>ALL TIME<< !!

I made the comment about Satriani as he was, according to him on an interview he did, supremely influenced by Hendrix and has let that influence carry through a lot of his music.
Interviewer: Your tone has been very special over the years, it's unlike anything else. Some of it can be easily tracked to Jimi Hendrix, but then it's also so much more and different. Where is it from?

Satriani: (laughs ) You know, there is something about it, when I think about it...
..:: richardhallebeek ::..

Maybe you're talking about another interview? Satriani is a very humble guy and I seriously doubt he would compare himself to anyone. That aside, it's hard to be an electric guitar player and not be influenced by Jimi. But being influenced by him doesn't mean trying to play like him.

I think Satriani himself has to some extent reinforced the "Guitar Hero" imagery with some of his material. This might have something to do with the fact that a lot people that go to see him are guitar players themselves and love it when he shows off.

Some of what he does is obviously a play on audience expectations for hot shot guitar slinger performances. Some of it is just excess noodling and over-the-top effects. The Satch Boogie I linked in Post #20 is an example of that. It's almost a parody of guitar-dominated rock. Still, Satch does it better than any other player out there.

I think it was the satchtapes, it was a multi part interview and he said that it was Hendrix that inspired him to start playing.
And ya, he is a really humble guy.
In any case, this doesn't matter as he is a great player and I like to listen to him from time to time.
He for sure plays around with the hot-shot imagery and fast licks as he undoubtedly realizes the diverse interests of the crowd he is playing for and seems to work at getting a little bit of everything out there.

Skip to minute 1:45 for the best cover of Hey Joe you will ever hear

Otis Taylor - Snap Shots

I just discovered this like half an hour ago...

and honestly, this might be my favorite solo of all time...

Well, I don't know about THE wickedest guitar solo of all time. Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb comes quickly to mind. Or the solo from Jane's Addiction's Had a Dad. For guitarists I've always liked Brian May of Queen.

Chris

No actually! Provocative perhaps but not meant to offend.

I get the notion, I think we're talking electric heavy rock stuff...

It's a path I've gone along and probably still have an odd bit of in my music.

I used to love stuff like Satriani and Vai but now I see that technical ability is not the same as creative ability. The two may coincide but I try not to confuse them, or be blinded by finger wizardry.

By way of comparison, Hendrix was a creative genius. If he played one note it would be beautiful and it would be individual. You hear one note by him and you know it's Hendrix. I'm not sure that's true of the techno-onanists.

I still enjoy rock, and it may be "heavy", but maybe not in this way... :)

s.

As an ex guitar player I used to love Satriani and Vai etc, these days I dont rate them that much.

Hendrix was a genius a bit sloppy technical probably because of all the drugs and for just going for it, but in terms of creativity and stuff that touches amazing.

other than that I prefer Jazz stuff for improvisation Coltrane, Parker those guys were lights years ahead or rock guitar.

Django was good though

As an ex guitar player I used to love Satriani and Vai etc, these days I dont rate them that much.

Hendrix was a genius a bit sloppy technical probably because of all the drugs and for just going for it, but in terms of creativity and stuff that touches amazing.

other than that I prefer Jazz stuff for improvisation Coltrane, Parker those guys were lights years ahead or rock guitar.

Django was good though

fancy starting up a sizzling sax solo of >>ALL TIME<< then? [its been on my mind]:D

Back