Jesus is not God....part 2

Kindest Regards, Marsh!

Thank you for your post!

Marsh said:
Yes, history is full of people following after normal men. But I ask you: Where did that get them? What happened to the people who followed after David Koresh? What happened to the people who followed after Adolf Hitler? What happened to the people who the people who followed Jimmy Swaggart? Eventually, all of these followers were disappointed, either by death, or by humiliation, or by embarassment.
Actually, following normal men is a normal/regular/natural thing for people to do. Yes, I presented some extreme examples for the purpose of demonstration. But what of those who followed Eisenhower to the death. Thank God for them! While you may disagree with Koresh and Swaggart (as do I), religious leaders who are sincere are necessary to the mental and spiritual health of so many people. Would you say Gandhi led his followers to disappointment? What of the (Quaker?) fathers who led the pilgrims to the shores of North America? The Native population no doubt regrets that, but the followers and their families after are quite grateful. For every "bad" example that can be given, and certainly history is full of them, there are at least as many or more examples of leaders leading their people to a better place, at least relatively speaking.

The distinction that I want to make between Jesus and the rest of us is this: Given enough time, we will always disappoint anyone who relies on us, at least once;
This is part of being human.

Jesus will not.
This is a toughie to answer. I realize many great things, even miracles, have been done in the name of Jesus. Likewise, in the name of Jesus, many great tragedies have come about. Because another man claims he comes to me in the name of Jesus, does not mean he really does. I am sad to say that I have seen many frauds committed in my lifetime by those brandishing Jesus like a weapon. These same people do not live the life Jesus taught. So while I agree, technically, that Jesus cannot cause anybody grief at this time, there is a whole lot of grief dealt out on a daily basis by those acting "in the name of" Jesus.

This is why James and the other apostles placed their faith in Jesus: They were not blindly following him; they were simply smart enough to do so.
But see, this is extrapolating from the other books and applying it to James. The other books provide the assumption (the Pauline epistles especially), which by the time the reader gets to James s/he makes the assumption that is what the words at the beginning of the book of James means. That the other apostles actually knew Jesus, and followed him from direct knowledge of his teachings, I have no doubt. This cannot be said of Paul.

it was a lot easier for the apostles to have faith in Jesus because they knew him better than we do, having actually met him.
Yes, of course. Paul however, did not personally know Jesus, but rather had a metaphysical meeting with him (supposedly). Likewise, no one living today, or over the last 1970 years +/-, has had a direct personal relationship with Jesus. I realize there are a great many who teach one must have a personal relationship with Jesus, but that relationship (provided it is indeed genuine!) can only be metaphysical. I have to say, one can get a metaphysical relationship with the divine in every major world faith I can think of. (Allowing that Buddhists have a somewhat different slant on the matter).

In all of your historical examples there is a common theme: Death.
This is because my examples were in direct response to the statement "A real Christian is someone willing to follow Jesus to the end." What is "follow to the end," if not being willing to die for what one believes in? One can believe that personal freedom is worth dying for, and fight in a war to preserve and promote that ideal. Likewise, how many Crusaders and others in wars over the last 2 thousand years have marched off to battle thinking they were doing service to and for Jesus? Interesting is when both sides think the same God is on their particular side!

If you put your faith in a normal human being, the long-term consequence is going to be death.
Not necesasrily. Neil Armstrong followed Robert Goddard to the moon. (This is somewhat allegorical, there were far many more people involved than just these two). How many scientists put their faith in Charles Darwin, or Albert Einstein, or Louis Pasteur, or Nikolai Tesla?

For James, whom you yourself look to as a reliable witness, the long-term consequence of placing your faith in Jesus is life; this is why we are to wait patiently for the coming of the Lord, who will definitely (not possibly) come back for us.
Certainly. I just think we have differing ideas of what "placing your faith in" means. You see Jesus as a manifestation, in form and function, of God in flesh. I realize this is traditional teaching in Christianity. I have questions in my mind and heart as to whether or not this is valid in the sense it is commonly taught. Just as I question the validity of teaching that God is in all (which at a certain level I can agree with), and that piece of God can be elevated somehow, in an effort to make that person on a level with God (which I disagree with resolutely!). In other words, if God was in Jesus, then God is in all (yes). But thinking that piece or element of God can be exercised to the point of elevating an individual to Godhead (or somewhere mighty close) is not something I see as realistic or truth, not to mention the ramifications to spirit and divinity if such were indeed possible.

In other words, I can see the elevation of Jesus to "God" as a manufactured invention for the purpose of political control. Which is directly in line with historic fact of church history.

But at the same time James emphasizes his faith in God the Father. How is it that James can put his faith in both God and Jesus if the two are not one? One man can certainly not serve two masters, but James' letter emphasizes the importance of service (works) to testify to one's faith in both God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Thus in James' mind, as in the minds of the other apostles, as even in Jesus' mind, God the Father and Jesus Christ are one.
"How is it that James can put his faith in both God and Jesus if the two are not one?" God the Father Creator, and Jesus the Rabbi who shows the right path to walk on. Which is how truth is revealed in virtually every other faith. As for "Thus in James' mind, as in the minds of the other apostles, as even in Jesus' mind, God the Father and Jesus Christ are one," again this is extrapolating from the others (specifically Paul, who had no personal association wtih Jesus) and laying it on James' words. As for Jesus' mind, he wrote nothing that has come to us through canon. What we have is others writing for him, and speaking for him. And considering (once again, church history) who consolidated and established canon and dogma, it is not unrealistic to believe the church may have altered the manuscripts, especially to make them more in accord with Roman traditions and folkways of the time. There are no extent copies of New Testament manuscripts that predate the official political authorization of the church. In other words, while some New Testatment books are presumed to have been written circa 50 AD +/-, there are none that survive complete prior to about 400 AD. There is 350 years where the words could be manipulated, and given the historic and cultural norm of Rome at the time, it is even to be expected that the manuscripts probably were altered.

But "one" doesn't necessarily imply "the same."
Indeed. If I live my life in accord with Jesus teachings, I too can be "one" with God.

I think that this discussion is too limited in scope. We are arguing over whether Jesus is or is not God. Isn't it possible that neither of these positions is correct? It seems to me that the very fact that we can argue so effectively against each other shows that our understanding of God and of his Son are incomplete.
I absolutely agree. Which is where prayerful consideration comes into play. I am thinking this is in line with what some call "meditation." Either way, it is connection to and with spirit for the purpose of direction and guidance.

Juan (if I may call you that),

Rather than multi-secting my post and making me argue on fifteen different fronts, would you mind focusing on one or two things? I know that you don't agree with anything that I am saying, but surely there are one or two things that stand out as being most ridiculous ;)

Kindest Regards, Marsh!
Marsh said:
Juan (if I may call you that),
You may, its only a name.

Rather than multi-secting my post and making me argue on fifteen different fronts, would you mind focusing on one or two things?
Sure, which ones?

I know that you don't agree with anything that I am saying, but surely there are one or two things that stand out as being most ridiculous ;)
Aw, now, surely you do not feel I ridicule you, or any others, here or anywhere on this forum? I do not fault anybody for their beliefs. I too, have my beliefs, and I do not appreciate others ridiculing me for mine. I do reserve the right to respectfully disagree. ;)

Last edited:
Re: Jesus is not God...................

bruce said:
Now Jesus is the greatist man to ever live.He isn't God he,Jesus ,tells us to worship God, Matthew 4:10 King James 1611 edition.Satan knew Jesus wasn't God as a matter of fact he asked Jesus was he the son of God ,Matthew 4:3 King James 1611 edition.If Jesus was God why would he question himself?Matthew 27:46.The greatist proof of Jesus not being God can be sumed up in this one verse John 1:18 No man has seen God at any time...King James 1611 edition.If Jesus was God in the flesh then he still would be God and John 1:18 would be wrong because thousands of people seen Jesus alive!Who is God then ?Jehovah!Exodus 6:3,psalms 83:18.Jehovah Witnesses have the truth if one comes to see you see what they have to say,remember no one respected the nation of Israel in the Old Testament, people laughed at them .Jehovah takes meek and humble people and rises them up.....:)
:D Jesus made it clear, that He was the incarnet of GOD, the father. How? We don't know. But we do know that such a revelation exists, over and over again.

He is the WORD, and he spoke, and we became, and he walked among us, and he died for us, and he is to this day, and will be forever.

These are all the things spoken of the life of Jesus in the old and new testament.

"I am the light and the way. Whom so ever should follow me...",

""I am the light...and the way"".

If Jesus isn't GOD, then he is too damn close to make a bet on it.

If one chooses to dismiss Jesus as God, LIfe goes on...until it doesn't.

If one chooses to accept Jesus as God, Life goes on...and on, and on, and on...for the acceptor.

Prove to me, that Jesus is not God, and I will retract my offer to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

(chuckle, we both know neither is feasable). I don't own it, nor do you own license to the existence of GOD, nor how HE chooses to manifest self.

But I await your beck and call.

v/r

Q

Kindest Regards, Quahom1!

Thank you for your post!

I would like to begin by saying I very much appreciate both your contributions, and those of Marsh. I have always found both of you guy's posts to be thoughtful, even sometimes profound. I have always looked forward to reading what you guys have to say.

One of the most eye-opening concepts I learned was how truth is subjective, truth means different things to different people. Since I originally learned truth to mean the same thing as fact, that is the concept I have tried to carry forward in my life, both academically and in the way I live. Biblical truth is not the same as fact. If it could be, then why do so many denominations argue against each other over minute details? And all of them are right, just ask.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, there is a comfort in being right, in believing one's chosen path is valid. But there is a distinct difference between right as truth and fact as truth.

There are important lessons conveyed in the Bible as in other religions, and it is imperitive that those lessons be viewed as right, or their validity and importance get muddled. For many people, it is more crucial to be right than to be factual, in order to gain the lessons taught. In my opinion, the focus on being right sometimes takes precedence over being factual in many people. When this carries to extreme, it becomes self-righteous indignation, which is counter to the lessons taught. The lessons get ignored in favor of being right. The focus becomes that of being right instead of living correctly.

God created me to be an inquisitive soul. I love to learn. I have looked (and continue to look) into other aspects of truth. If indeed truth is factual, then there will be supporting evidence from other sources. This is so in all matters of inquiry and scholarship. It is not enough to say everyone else is wrong. That would be like the madman that claims he alone is correct, that the rest of the world is conspiring against him.

There are elements of the Bible that are supported by fact, or at least external sources. Just as there are elements that are questioned, and there are elements that are not addressed (either because "proof" hasn't been found, or because those elements are beyond the scope of factual investigation).

So, to a scholar, the choice is to ignore the refutations and accept everything on faith, believing even those things that are shown to be incorrect. Or to believe those things that are shown and known, and try to understand the gist of what is meant by the rest (as allegory, metaphor or parable).

To continue here, I would be required to defend, support and reiterate what I have already pointed out. That gets redundant. I accept a person's "right" to believe in and as they wish, the important part is to learn the lessons taught and apply them in one's life on a daily basis. I believe I understand the lessons, and do apply them to the best of my understanding in my life. But I also know that I may be mistaken, for that I ask guidance from God. Part of what I have learned is that others do not see things the same way I do, and that it is not right of me to insist that they do. I have grown beyond my self-righteous indignation, and for that I am thankful to God.

I value the contributions of both of you, Quahom1 and Marsh. I always have. That value is not diminished here. I simply see things differently, and I see that as a good thing. Your positions have value, that value is not lost on me. If my position seems in any way to devalue your position, then it is better that you dismiss my position than to have yours devalued. Knowledge is a heavy burden, one that not all can bear. I have seen many have their faith destroyed by knowledge, and I have my own thoughts on this (some I think, look for any excuse to abandon their faith). I retain my faith in the light of knowledge, by keeping things in perspective.

Whether or not Jesus is and was a manifestation of God, we will know in time. Whether or not Jesus is and was a manifestation of God does not change in any way the value of the lessons he taught. In the here and now, it is the value of those lessons that is important. If we do not learn those lessons, then we put ourselves in peril.

juantoo3 said:
Kindest Regards, Quahom1!

Thank you for your post!

I would like to begin by saying I very much appreciate both your contributions, and those of Marsh. I have always found both of you guy's posts to be thoughtful, even sometimes profound. I have always looked forward to reading what you guys have to say.

One of the most eye-opening concepts I learned was how truth is subjective, truth means different things to different people. Since I originally learned truth to mean the same thing as fact, that is the concept I have tried to carry forward in my life, both academically and in the way I live. Biblical truth is not the same as fact. If it could be, then why do so many denominations argue against each other over minute details? And all of them are right, just ask.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, there is a comfort in being right, in believing one's chosen path is valid. But there is a distinct difference between right as truth and fact as truth.

There are important lessons conveyed in the Bible as in other religions, and it is imperitive that those lessons be viewed as right, or their validity and importance get muddled. For many people, it is more crucial to be right than to be factual, in order to gain the lessons taught. In my opinion, the focus on being right sometimes takes precedence over being factual in many people. When this carries to extreme, it becomes self-righteous indignation, which is counter to the lessons taught. The lessons get ignored in favor of being right. The focus becomes that of being right instead of living correctly.

God created me to be an inquisitive soul. I love to learn. I have looked (and continue to look) into other aspects of truth. If indeed truth is factual, then there will be supporting evidence from other sources. This is so in all matters of inquiry and scholarship. It is not enough to say everyone else is wrong. That would be like the madman that claims he alone is correct, that the rest of the world is conspiring against him.

There are elements of the Bible that are supported by fact, or at least external sources. Just as there are elements that are questioned, and there are elements that are not addressed (either because "proof" hasn't been found, or because those elements are beyond the scope of factual investigation).

So, to a scholar, the choice is to ignore the refutations and accept everything on faith, believing even those things that are shown to be incorrect. Or to believe those things that are shown and known, and try to understand the gist of what is meant by the rest (as allegory, metaphor or parable).

To continue here, I would be required to defend, support and reiterate what I have already pointed out. That gets redundant. I accept a person's "right" to believe in and as they wish, the important part is to learn the lessons taught and apply them in one's life on a daily basis. I believe I understand the lessons, and do apply them to the best of my understanding in my life. But I also know that I may be mistaken, for that I ask guidance from God. Part of what I have learned is that others do not see things the same way I do, and that it is not right of me to insist that they do. I have grown beyond my self-righteous indignation, and for that I am thankful to God.

I value the contributions of both of you, Quahom1 and Marsh. I always have. That value is not diminished here. I simply see things differently, and I see that as a good thing. Your positions have value, that value is not lost on me. If my position seems in any way to devalue your position, then it is better that you dismiss my position than to have yours devalued. Knowledge is a heavy burden, one that not all can bear. I have seen many have their faith destroyed by knowledge, and I have my own thoughts on this (some I think, look for any excuse to abandon their faith). I retain my faith in the light of knowledge, by keeping things in perspective.

Whether or not Jesus is and was a manifestation of God, we will know in time. Whether or not Jesus is and was a manifestation of God does not change in any way the value of the lessons he taught. In the here and now, it is the value of those lessons that is important. If we do not learn those lessons, then we put ourselves in peril.
And thank you for your response and kind words. I am in agreement with you on the fact that you do not have to go along with what anyone else thinks, and neither do I. My personnal faiths or beliefs do not get shaken within, just because I meet others who perceive life differently. But I do love discussing the differences!:D

I also love to provoke deep thought, and self analysis.

Life is like baseball. Sometimes we get to pitch and sometimes we get to bat. But if the ball is not thrown, then there is no game, and that gets very boring for everyone involved.

How does it go? "Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow, don't follow behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me for awhile, and be a companion".

Hope all is well with all today.

v/r

Q

juantoo3 said:
Aw, now, surely you do not feel I ridicule you, or any others, here or anywhere on this forum? I do not fault anybody for their beliefs. I too, have my beliefs, and I do not appreciate others ridiculing me for mine. I do reserve the right to respectfully disagree. ;)

No, I don't feel ridiculed; I meant it playfully. But I've noticed that things get too confusing for me when posts are replied to bit by bit. Personally, I'd much rather discuss things one at a time. That being said, which item from my last post would you most like to discuss (that is, if the moment for discussion hasn't passed already).

It's nice to know that the contributers in this forum are so compassionate. This isn't always the case when ideas are discussed.

juantoo3 said:
Knowledge is a heavy burden, one that not all can bear. I have seen many have their faith destroyed by knowledge, and I have my own thoughts on this (some I think, look for any excuse to abandon their faith). I retain my faith in the light of knowledge, by keeping things in perspective.
As a new boy I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed reading this thread. I think juantoo3 is going a little overboard on the humility (above). Some would be grateful to him for new insights - remembering the difference between knowledge and belief. But you need to tread carefully.

Forgive me if someone has said this already, but didn't Jesus pray, in the Garden of Gethsemane, "Not my will but Thine"? Surely that must give pause for thought. And particularly in the Gospel of John there is much about Jesus sending his disciples out to continue where he left off, to do even greater things. The trouble with over-deifying Jesus is that it diempowers the rest of us, and Jesus certainly didn't want that.

Blessings!

Mus Zibii said:
... But here's the kicker, without the identity as God the Gospel story is extremely lame. God as a suffering man is far more touching and enlightening than a prophet BSing about a shapeless, mute deity who reveals himself to few but demands submission from the many.
(emphasis added)

God, or His son, or even a god, cannot suffer because as a deity He/he is assured of the end. If He is God, a beating for a couple of days and a crucifiction are equal to me shooting the universe with a 9mm bullet. That is, no effect at all. A better sacrifice by a God, a scarfice that would show that he really gave up something, would be for Him to condemn Himself, or His son if you are so inclined, to hell. Now that would be impressive.

The Lord said:
(emphasis added)

God, or His son, or even a god, cannot suffer because as a deity He/he is assured of the end. If He is God, a beating for a couple of days and a crucifiction are equal to me shooting the universe with a 9mm bullet. That is, no effect at all. A better sacrifice by a God, a scarfice that would show that he really gave up something, would be for Him to condemn Himself, or His son if you are so inclined, to hell. Now that would be impressive.

Knowing the eventual outcome of a situation, does not alleviate the discomfort of having to go through unpleasant steps in order to come to the conclusion of that situation. Because Jesus put on the mantle of man (and all that entails), ensures us that He experienced every aspect of suffering that man would.

By the way, every action has an affect on everything else, regardless of how insignificant it seems based on any particular perspective (that includes shooting the universe with a 9mm projectile).

Finally, Jesus did descend into hell, and remained there for three days. What is more impressive however is that He rose out of that place, and released a lot of souls from there, along the way.

v/r

Q

bruce said:
The greatist proof of Jesus not being God can be sumed up in this one verse John 1:18 No man has seen God at any time...King James 1611 edition.

Sir, if King James Version, 1611 edition, is available online?
Thanks

"Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness." (Ge 1:26) God was not talking to himself here , he was talking to his first-born son , the one who was in heaven with his father and that first born was Jesus in his pre-human life . so the bible harmonizes throughout when the accurate understanding is applied.
In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. 2 This one was in [the] beginning with God. John1;1 yes Jesus was a master worker everything was created through Jesus , but Jesus was the only thing created by Jehovah himself that is why Jesus is the only-begotten he is the only thing created by Jehovah alone , every thing else is created though Jesus.
then I came to be beside him as a master worker, and I came to be the one he was specially fond of day by day, I being glad before him all the time, 31 being glad at the productive land of his earth, and the things I was fond of were with the sons of men. proverbs 8;30-31
(John 1:3) All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence. What has come into existence​

(John 17:5) So now you, Father, glorify me alongside yourself with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was................ yes even before the world was Jesus had a pre-human life in the heavens with his father Jehovah

mee said:
"Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness." (Ge 1:26) God was not talking to himself here , he was talking to his first-born son , the one who was in heaven with his father and that first born was Jesus in his pre-human life . so the bible harmonizes throughout when the accurate understanding is applied.
In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. 2 This one was in [the] beginning with God. John1;1 yes Jesus was a master worker everything was created through Jesus , but Jesus was the only thing created by Jehovah himself that is why Jesus is the only-begotten he is the only thing created by Jehovah alone , every thing else is created though Jesus.
then I came to be beside him as a master worker, and I came to be the one he was specially fond of day by day, I being glad before him all the time, 31 being glad at the productive land of his earth, and the things I was fond of were with the sons of men. proverbs 8;30-31
(John 1:3) All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence. What has come into existence​

(John 17:5) So now you, Father, glorify me alongside yourself with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was................ yes even before the world was Jesus had a pre-human life in the heavens with his father Jehovah

1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Sorry Mee. Jesus was not a created being and just because the NWT changes that verse does not make it so.

Dor said:
1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
just keep it simple... the bible is not complicated, it is not mystic, it is not ambiguous, you just have to believe what God is saying and quit injecting preconceived notions, culture, and frivolous religion practices into that which is pure. Christianity is having a personal relationship with the living God.

BlaznFattyz said:
just keep it simple... the bible is not complicated, it is not mystic, it is not ambiguous, you just have to believe what God is saying and quit injecting preconceived notions, culture, and frivolous religion practices into that which is pure. Christianity is having a personal relationship with the living God.
Quite honestly, blazn, most of these statements are some of the most hilarious stuff I think I've seen in a long time! :p

"The bible is not mystic" ... I'll have to remember that one! lol

And this business of "injecting" things into "that which is pure" ... I mean, come on, what is it with these people that can't swallow the good, plain ENGLISH right there between the covers of the KJV, the way God WROTE IT!!! :confused: Geez, you'd think some people just can't read. :rolleyes: I mean, get with the program, folks.

And the NEXT person who tries to think about something around here - WOE be unto you. I can just feel the almighty gettin' a lightning-bolt ready, and the steam's a comin' from his brow. NO THINKING. This is entirely uncalled for! :p

You know blazn, your last sentence seemed to convey your point quite nicely. :eek:

But umm, let's see, we have the various Sacred Scriptures of the Jews, combined with all sorts of mistranslations, rehashings, misinterpretations, edits and cropped portions of the early Christians ... run through 2000 years of MANmade history ... and you call this book "not ambiguous?" Right. And I'm Abraham Lincoln. Nice to meet you.

taijasi

Dor said:
Ouch such bitterness that the Christians are not just falling into line where they want us.
No bitterness, just sarcasm. And you're probably right. Sorry, the expectation to think ... may be asking too much. Nevermind ...

Okay, okay. Maybe some disappointment. :eek:
But it's a karmic thing, as much as anything. Sorry, just reflecting out loud.

taijasi

Ever read C.S. Lewis' "Liar, Lunatic, or Lord," documents? Its a good place to start off if you want to know (from an interlectual perspective) if Jesus is God or not. But, if you want to cut through the case and get right into it, I suggest that you Repent (turn from sins and turn to God) and Trust (have real faith) in the Savior [Jesus]. If you could do this, God will give you a new heart and change you and you will KNOW God rather than thinking you know Him. Until then, Christianity is always going to be foolish and a stumbling block to you. All that said, if you dont want to do any of that, you can take my word for it. Whats my words? Jesus IS God. :D No, He's not the Father, nor is He the Spirit, but He is nonetheless God. He's the 2nd person within the Trinty that makes up the Triune Godhead. Jesus died to save law breakers (sinners) from God. And no, thats not a contradiction.

Back