Hate

Dream

Reaction score
First hate is a lot like first love. I think that hate can't always be given direction and can not simply be turned off. Chemically it changes you. That is why people say it rots in your bones. Hate does not appear instantly either but has to cook for a while. When you hate someone, its actually a symptom of something that was already growing in you, like beans left out. It only takes a small offense to trigger it. Identify the roots of hate early, take only purposeful thoughtful actions that recognize you are the master of yourself. Otherwise your hate will be triggered, and you will be changed permanently. You might temporarily think that you hate someone, but actually you hate everything since it is a consuming emotion. Even long after you take action or after that distraction is gone, the hate is still there even without a target.

I don't think I've ever hated anyone. I think that would mean I'd want them dead, and I've never felt that way.

Chris

You ain't got the weight to hate.

Standing In My Light ~ Ian Hunter

[youtube]JM0-6EOfpb4[/youtube]

I can't really wrap my head around it.

Like the recent omega spam...how one can accumulate so much hate is beyond me.

oh, and I hope it stays that way.

Hate is something I would like to try as an experiment. I would like to know what it is like to hate someone. I promise I will tell you all about it when I have done the deed.

Hmmmmmmmm, I Hate acts that some people do, and there is at least one person in this world that I do hate. But I have been gently reminded that it would be better that I forgive this person rather than hate them. It would be better for me, I understand that, but Im just not there yet.....

As a lifelong Christian I grew up believing that hate is a sin, so I never hated anyone except through neglect or oversight. In other words, I loved everyone all over the world from childhood, and when I felt my heart getting noisy I noticed and did things to keep the engine running smooth. I even supported starving children through a charity for a few years (this actually had many personal benefits for me). My guard was up, so for many years I never knew what hate was: As an example I once was spit upon and I simply let it go without even getting angry, and I would walk away from offenses (or sometimes be sad over them). It was only this one offense that I let get to me during a time when my faith was gone (or in transition), and I decided that I hated someone that had deeply hurt a mutual friend of mine. Everything changed about me, and I think its that I had changed when I made that decision. I started remembering people I'd not seen for many years and hating them, too; and I became generally negative about the world. Funny how things can go bad so quickly. For a while I have been like a fireman in a burning house.

Citizenzen said:
You ain't got the weight to hate.
Good lyrics, Zen. True, nobody can force you to hate.

Wil said:
I can't really wrap my head around it.
Yeah, and that is one of the things that are astonishing about you, Wil.

Saltmeister said:
Hate is something I would like to try as an experiment. I would like to know what it is like to hate someone. I promise I will tell you all about it when I have done the deed.
You will be better off trying cigarettes.

graymare said:
Hmmmmmmmm, I Hate acts that some people do, and there is at least one person in this world that I do hate. But I have been gently reminded that it would be better that I forgive this person rather than hate them. It would be better for me, I understand that, but Im just not there yet.....
You are just a big sweetie.

Hate is in many cases a by-product of anger. All negative emotions can be linked to neuro-chemical reactions in the nervous system, but that does not mean it can't be conquered. Realizing the futility of negative emotions like hate is one way to conquer it.

If for instance someone did something bad to you. It may drive you to hate them. This hate in term desires revenge. But if we really were to examine it, what will revenge and hate solve, besides more suffering? It's quite a dead end. It is better to help the one you hate than to hurt them, and while doing so your hate will be taken away. Or at least letting them be.

Hate is self-centered lust transformed into a greedy un-satiable urge that illogically possesses** a person and over-rides all better judgement.

**BTW, in the Vedas it says there are three ways to be possesed by a ghost (a body composed Only of the Mind-Intelligence-Ego ---due to sudden loss of the "gross body" of earth-water-fire-air-ether):

1 extreme Weak-will
2 extreme intoxication
3 siliva drool while sleeping

The perfect storm is when all three are combined.
Also, siliva is a prime means of transfer of karma from one person to another.
Why are politians known for poor judgement? Prostitute french-kissing at a high premium indeed!

Now a few words from my copy of the gita:

Bhagavd-gita Chapter 3 verses 36-37:
Arjuna said: O descendant of Vrshni, by what is one impelled to sinful acts, even unwillingly, as if engaged by force?

The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: It is lust only, Arjuna, which is born of contact with the material mode of passion and later transformed into wrath, and which is the all-devouring sinful enemy of this world.

Bhagavd-gita Chapter 16 verses 6-24:
O son of Pritha, in this world there are two kinds of created beings. One is called the divine and the other demoniac miscreant. I have already explained to you at length the divine qualities. Now hear from Me of the demoniac miscreant.

Those who are demoniac miscreant do not know what is to be done and what is not to be done. Neither cleanliness nor proper behavior nor truth is found in them.

They say that this world is unreal, with no foundation, no God in control. They say it is produced of sex desire and has no cause other than lust.

Following such conclusions, the demoniac miscreant, who are lost to themselves and who have no intelligence, engage in unbeneficial, horrible works meant to destroy the world.

Taking shelter of insatiable lust and absorbed in the conceit of pride and false prestige, the demoniac miscreant, thus illusioned, are always sworn to unclean work, attracted by the impermanent.

They believe that to gratify the senses is the prime necessity of human civilization. Thus until the end of life their anxiety is immeasurable. Bound by a network of hundreds of thousands of desires and absorbed in lust and anger, they secure money by illegal means for sense gratification.

The demoniac miscreant person thinks: “So much wealth do I have today, and I will gain more according to my schemes. So much is mine now, and it will increase in the future, more and more. He is my enemy, and I have killed him, and my other enemies will also be killed. I am the lord of everything. I am the enjoyer. I am perfect, powerful and happy. I am the richest man, surrounded by aristocratic relatives. There is none so powerful and happy as I am. I shall perform sacrifices, I shall give some charity, and thus I shall rejoice.” In this way, such persons are deluded by ignorance.

Thus perplexed by various anxieties and bound by a network of illusions, they become too strongly attached to sense enjoyment and fall down into hell.

Self-complacent and always impudent, deluded by wealth and false prestige, they sometimes proudly perform sacrifices in name only, without following any rules or regulations.

Bewildered by false ego, strength, pride, lust and anger, the demons become envious of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is situated in their own bodies and in the bodies of others, and blaspheme against the real religion.

Those who are envious and mischievous, who are the lowest among men, I perpetually cast into the ocean of material existence, into various demoniac miscreant species of life.

Attaining repeated birth amongst the species of demoniac miscreant life, O son of Queen Kunti, such persons can never approach Me. Gradually they sink down to the most abominable type of existence.

There are three gates leading to this hell—lust, anger and greed. Every sane man should give these up, for they lead to the degradation of the soul.

The man who has escaped these three gates of hell, O son of Queen Kunti, performs acts conducive to self-realization and thus gradually attains the supreme destination.

He who discards scriptural injunctions and acts according to his own whims attains neither perfection, nor happiness, nor the supreme destination.

One should therefore understand what is duty and what is not duty by the regulations of the scriptures. Knowing such rules and regulations, one should act so that he may gradually be elevated.

First hate is a lot like first love.

Unfortunately you're right. When love goes bad it can turn to hate. One of the three poisons (with greed and ignorance) that keep us in samsara.

But never mind that religious sh1t. :p

s.

Originally Posted by Dream
First hate is a lot like first love.

Actually I don't really know what that means unless it's sarcasm.
But it reminds me of something similar.

When a couple first met Love was perfect . . . as time goes by actually aflls apart ---it takes a concerted effort to maintain love in its original state. No?

Hate is in many cases a by-product of anger.
And anger is a by-product of fear. Identify and deal with the fear, and the anger will evaporate. To seal this, a full and whole-hearted forgiveness may be needed. Round this off by blessing the person in question - at least in private. That ought to clean it right out of your system.

Leave that anger inside you and it will destroy you and those you love.

I just wrote a long post about hatred, because it's a feeling I know intimately and I'm not shy about calling it exactly what it is. It probably would have shocked everyone, but at least it was honest. And then something happened when I tried to post it and I lost the whole thing!

I can't forgive on cue or by an act of will, BTW. Forgiveness is a VERY big deal with me and can take a long time. It's not so much a matter of not wanting to (although sometimes it is) but of wanting to be sure I have "really" forgiven the person. Probably my standards are too high in that area, or maybe too low. About all I know is that it's very difficult, and I refuse to "try" to forgive anyone, mainly because it doesn't work.

--Linda

Leave that anger inside you and it will destroy you and those you love.
Repressing anger absolutely does not work.
Expressing it doesn't work either.
So just what the hell do you DO with it?

--Linda

--Linda

I think all anger needs closure. It needs something that will allow you to "let go" of whatever keeps the anger alive. It is something that will convince you that whatever the anger is about or whatever led to the anger no longer matters.

--Linda

Personally, I examine it. Anger is most often the result of fear or insecurity, or other negative emotions such as grief that need to be dealt with. That is, anger rarely seems to be a primary emotion, but rather wrapped up in other feelings and thoughts. I find if I examine my anger and deal with the underlying causes, the anger goes away on its own.

However, there are cases (albeit rare) wherein anger comes from a space of recognizing injustice. In these cases, anger can be a powerful motivator for working for change, and therefore has an important and sacred place in our lives. The key is to still examine it, to find how to transform it into something useful so that one is not embittered.

In my opinion, there are two types of hate. There is "hate-without-real-reason": the rabid hatred for the opposition, the petty hate for those who are not like us, the ignorant hate drummed into us by tenets and slogans and adoption and rejection of ideals, but there is another hate; a purer, more noble hate, a real-er hate.

I do not believe it wrong to hate, when that hate is truely justified. Hate can be a protective psychological factor, a powerful driver and a fantastic motivator.

There are several people I have encountered in my life who I can comfortably hate. I have no need to act upon this hate, however, and nor do I find it neccessary to share that hatred with others. This hatred does not eat away at me, it has not become necrotic, I am not twisted by it. I know where it comes from, I can identify it, and, in a way, I am happy I hate. It means something.

Back