Anthropomorphisms of Jesus

Amergin,

Were you his psychiatrist?

No, I am not a Psychiatrist. I am a medical doctor trained and specializing in Neurology (disorders of the physical brain, spinal cord, nerves, and muscles.) I have studied much of the data in Behavioural Neurology which differs substantially from Freudian Psychiatry. My later years in practice involved Immunology of Neurological Diseases after some course I took in Boston (Harvard University).

My interest in Behavioural Neurology or Biological Basis of Behaviour is a personal interest and was part of my residency training. But Behavioural Neurology was a small part and not as extensive as now. My information of this and the Neurology of Religion is something I picked up over the past 20 years from reading a truck load of Journals, and attending conferences at the Royal Infirmary of Aberdeen and at U. of Edinburgh. I have been an obsessive reader. My reading has included largely unrelated history, palaeontology, and Celtic Mythology.

In fact, I have some serious differences with Psychiatry on its avoidance of neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, functional neuroanatomy. I argued with a Shrink who could not name the major, I say major, divisions of the brain and brainstem. It is like a Christian pastor not knowing the Bible.

Amergin

Something that everyone seems to miss is that according to the Abrahamic Tradition, it is God's will that God be known to His creation.

God, being God, and thus beyond knowing, therefore necessarily comes to man to make Himself known, and the greatest compliment and dignity the Deity can afford is to come to man, as man.
The last part sounds decidedly Christian and not Abrahamic as Jews don't believe Jesus to be any of the sort and Muslims believe him to be a prophet.

But beyond that, the first portion, you speak so certain yet it seems many Jews I know are agnostic and have a much less literal interpretation of their scriptures than the majority of Christians....so I question as to any concensus that this be Abrahamic Tradition either.

Wil, you have a point but if you delete "as man", Thomas' thesis is quite mainstream (see Rozensweig, Katzantzakis and Imam al-Ghazali). G!d needs us to fulfill the Redemption of Creation.

Pax et amore omnia vincunt

Wil, you have a point but if you delete "as man", Thomas' thesis is quite mainstream (see Rozensweig, Katzantzakis and Imam al-Ghazali). G!d needs us to fulfill the Redemption of Creation.

Pax et amore omnia vincunt
I'll await his reply but I believe if we delete "as man" it is no longer Thomas' thesis, the 'as man' point is critical to his belief.

It was just a way to get the remark up from "Christianity" to "Abrahamistic". I know it is not Thomas' beleif, however it would make the comment common to Judahic and Islamic sources.

Pax et amore omnia vincunt.

Well, obviously I'm not Jewish nor am I Muslim ...

God bless

Thomas

Funnily enough, Christians have thought that all along, without recourse to your 'bloody weird bollocks' (I assume you mean stuff beyond your comprehension) or anything else.

Aye, I do not understand the Christian Trinity or a man who was also a god. That does not mean I am stupid. To me it simply makes no sense to me.

But it did make them turn out in large numbers to see Him, even just to touch Him.

I totally agree.

He scared the Sanhedrin.

That is also probably true.

Is anybody supposed to treat your posts as a credible argument? Read it back to yourself ... would you give you the time of day?

People who are strict rational thinkers and logical sceptics would likely agree with me. On forums by scientists, rationalists and sceptics I receive wide agreement.

They tried to, more than once.

They may have done so. The question is whether it was over blasphemy (I doubt) or Roman instigation to attack a suspected Zealot leader.

There is no evidence, from the above, that you've ever read Scripture or, if you have, that you've actually understood a word of it.

Are you calling me a liar? I have a well worn copy of the King James Bible that I have had since college. It is on my desk. I tell you the truth. I read the entire KJV cover to cover over the summer and first quarter of the school year. Over the years I have read hundreds of times, books and chapters, repeatedly. My quotes are from that Bible. I have doubts that you actually read it or read it in an unbiased view. You most likely read it and interpreted it as told by your priest, or nun. I read it without belief and did not believe afterward. You read it after already being indoctrinated (Meme induced) and your brain then reshaped all input to be consistent with your programmed beliefs.

May Athena grant you knowledge and wisdom,

Amergin

CHRISTIANITY: The belief that some cosmic Jewish Zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. Makes perfect sense. -author unknown

Anthropomorphism applies only to JHWY. Not physical description but psychiatric. Like Bronze Age and late Neolithic Age humans lived in groups with a powerful leader. A leader had to be strong and ruthless to hold the clan together. He was the War Lord and/or Shaman.

His classical psychological profile.
Out of control narcissism,
Jealousy,
Vindictiveness,
Cruelty,
Violence,
Inciting people to violence,
Murder,
Genocide,
Permitting rape,
Infanticide,
Slavery,
Insecurity (needing constant worship like an Oriental potentate,)
Indecisiveness,
Ambivalence,
Lack of Conscience.

All of this shows that God's personality is taken from the typical Neolithic or Bronze Age War Lord.

But you're spouting weird rubbish about how "Athena" is going to grant wisdom-- yeah, right, like anybody who wasn't brain-dead would think it even slightly plausible that a child could get born out of a male forehead!

Thomas, you rudely insult me (you must be English), with an opinion that you call a fact.

I said, nowhere in the Gospels of the 4 evangelists do any one of them say, "Jesus is God," "God is Jesus," or quote Jesus saying, "I am God." It just ain't there. Stop lying.
Jesus never said, clearly and unequivocally, "I am God." He never said, "I am one of three persons making up God."

Jesus did say, addressing Mary Magdalene, (John 20:17) "...but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father and your Father; and to my GOD, and your GOD." In prayer to God, that is, the Father, Jesus said, “YOU, the only true GOD.” (John 17:3). He clearly states his (Jesus') relation to God was the same as that of Mary of Magdala. He and Mary of Magdala considered God to be both my (our) God and my (our) Father. We normally don't refer to Mary as the Daughter of God. God is everyone's Father. But Jesus himself, Mary Magdala (the apostle Jesus loved) and the brethren all considered “God” as their God.

"My God, My God, why hast THOU forsaken ME.?" This also shows a difference between Jesus and GOD. This shows that Jesus addressed GOD as other than himself. Who in bloody hell was he talking to?

It also gives a valuable hint that Jesus didn't expect this outcome (being nailed on a cross) and felt forsaken. So he didn't know and was not omniscient, and not God. “My God,” was not from someone who considered himself to be God.

And if Jesus were God, then by whom was he deserted? Himself? That would not make sense. Jesus also said: “Father, into your hands I entrust my spirit.” (Luke 23:46) If Jesus were God, for what reason should he entrust his spirit to the Father?

In 2 Corinthians 1:3 the apostle Paul confirms this relationship: “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Since Jesus had a God, his Father, he could not at the same time be that God. “For us there is one God, the Father . . . and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ.” (1 Corinthians 8:6, JB) The apostle shows the distinction when he mentions “the presence of God and of Christ Jesus and of the elect angels.” (1 Timothy 5:21, RS Common Bible).

Jesus further showed that he was a separate entity denying being good? “No one is good but God alone.” (Mark 10:18, JB) So Jesus was distinguishing from God by saying: “Why do you call one is as good as God is, not even Jesus himself”. God is good in a way that separates him from Jesus.

“The Son cannot do anything at his own pleasure, he can only do what he sees his Father doing.” (John 5:19, The Holy Bible, by Monsignor R. A. Knox) “I have come down from heaven to do, not my will, but the will of him that sent me.” (John 6:38) “What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me.” (John 7:16) Is not the sender superior to the one sent?

The followers of Jesus prayed to God about “thy holy servant Jesus, whom thou didst anoint, . . . and signs and wonders are performed through the name of thy holy servant Jesus.”—Acts 4:23, 27, 30, RS, Catholic edition. The Disciples themselves believed that Jesus was an important person, possibly more than human but not God.

Jesus indicated his Father’s superiority when he said: “Jehovah’s spirit is upon me, because he anointed me to declare good news to the poor.” (Luke 4:18). God is plainly the superior, for he anointed Jesus, giving him authority that he did not previously have.

“As for seats at my right hand and my left, these are not mine to grant; they belong to those to whom they have been allotted by my Father,” that is, God. (Matthew 20:23, JB) Had Jesus been Almighty God, those positions would have been his to give. But Jesus could not give them, for they were God’s to give, and Jesus was not God.

“Father, if you wish, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, let, not my will, but yours take place.” (Luke 22:42) To whom was he praying? To a part of himself? No, he was praying to someone entirely separate, his Father, God, whose will was superior and could be different from his own, the only One able to “remove this cup.”

“God [who] resurrected [Jesus] by loosing the pangs of death.” (Acts 2:24) The superior, God Almighty, raised the lesser, his servant Jesus, from the dead. Jesus Had Limited Knowledge. He stated: “But of that day or that hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” (Mark 13:32, RS, Catholic edition).

In Hebrews 5:8 Jesus “learned obedience from the things he suffered.” Can we imagine that God had to learn anything? No, but Jesus did, for he did not know everything that God knew. And he had to learn something that God never needs to learn—obedience. God never has to obey anyone.

Jesus did not make comments or indicate that he knew Leprosy was caused by a bacterium. He blamed it on sin. He could have at least recommended sanitary procedures like bathing, washing hands after contact that we do today, and there is very little Leprosy in Inverness-shire. He did not know the common causes of blindness (glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, cataracts, trachoma virus, Loa Loa, Sarcoidosis, Optic Neuritis, Optic nerve drusen, Optic nerve gliomas, strokes, alcoholic optic degeneration, and Ischemic Optic Neuropathy. There are more.

He could have helped Sarcoid ophthalmopathy and Optic Neuritis with some simple anti-inflammatory herbal agents do work to some extent. But Jesus either chose to not treat them, and teach them some self-treatment.

Sanitation could stop the spread of Trachoma and Loa Loa. Dietary adjustment could have lessened the severity of all of the diabetic complications. I realise that he could do nothing for Optic Tumours or Macular Degeneration. He could have cautioned against alcohol (many neurological complications) but HE MADE WINE.

That would be funny but if Jesus knew but withheld health advice he was a psychopath. If he did not know he was ignorant and a poor excuse for a god.

He thought demons caused epilepsy and mental illness. Lastly, Satan took Jesus to a high mountain to view all of the nations of the Earth. He and/or Jesus thought the Earth was flat. One cannot see nations on the opposite side of a spherical earth. Jesus and Satan could not see Japan, Hawaii, the Maori Kingdom of New Zealand, Champa, Vietnam, Cambodia, the Mexican, or the Andean Empires.

If he supposedly created everything would not he know that the Earth was a sphere? As a Demon who supposedly saw Creation, and tormented people all over the world, he should have known the Earth to be spherical. Jesus didn’t question his premise that he could see all of the Nations from one mountain top. So Jesus and Satan both flunked Geometry 101 and Geology 201.

All that we read in the New Testament suggests a fully human Jesus. If we are open minded comprehending what is written, cannot help but assume that God was superior to Jesus. And that Jesus was at best a created secondary deity or perhaps just a man.

The gospels were written in the First Century before the Romans had deified Jesus. The earliest gospel was written about 70 A.D. and John may have been written by 120 AD. At this time the exact status of Jesus was hotly debated. The gospels seem to be somewhere theologically between Ebionites and Nazarites with hint of evolving Arianism that is clearly present in Paul’s letters. Thus Arianism was very early before Bishop Arius preached it in 319 AD. This was the initial deification of Jesus but as a created and subordinate god obedient to the High God (JHWH).

Verses used to support the deification of Jesus are all very vague and ambiguous, such as "I am" but no definitive statement of divinity. As a matter of fact, “I am” Amergin. That vague “I am” comment is far outnumbered by the many statements indicating that he was not God, was not equal to the Father, but subordinate, and “sent” by the God.

Note: I do not quote the insane rantngs of John of Patmos. The fictional Jesus he depicted bears no resemblance to Jesus of the Gospels.

May those who are not blinded to reason by blind faith remove the chains of ignorance to understand the world instead of wallowing in the muck of irrational superstition.

Amergin

Show me the verse from the Bible New Testament that states unequivocally that Jesus is, or was God. I don't mean that "I am" shite.

Amergin

No, I am not a Psychiatrist. .... I argued with a Shrink who could not name the major, I say major, divisions of the brain and brainstem. It is like a Christian pastor not knowing the Bible.

Amergin

Yeah.. I recall you from a few years ago on Interfaith Forums you used to do somewhat similar things there you're doing here..

The "psychologist" in me wants to know want's behind some of your hostility toward religion? When/how did this start?:confused:

A note to the mojobadshah:

By the way I wanted to thank mojobadshah for helping me appreciate the Gathas more...!

CHRISTIANITY: The belief that some cosmic Jewish Zombie can make you live forever...

Amergin - do you think Christianity has a net positive effect or net negative effect on the modern world and why?

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about all the dark ages crap that went down; in the 21st century, is Christianity's current impact on the world net positive or net negative in your view and why? i.e. would the world be a better place with Christianity's teachings and the actions/deeds of Christians, or without?

I got to credit Amerigan here though because he's the one who pointed out that the Zoroastrians had a Zoroastrian trinity of their own which I prefer to interpret a little differently and that is Ahura Mazda "The Father" Zoroaster "The Son who's body was the Manthra" and Spenog Menog "The Holy Spirit [World]." And I think the anthropomorphism of God in the NT was a trickle down effect of the Zoroastrian ideology (because it would appear to me that earlier books represent Jesus as more human than later books) including the concept of the Mathravan "Bearer of the Manthra (cf. Mazda "God") or Holy Word" which "may" have something to do with why the Romans, Cultic Persians, worshipped Mithras (possibly askin to Mathro cf. Manthra) and that the name Yeshua may have been confused with the Zoroasrian concept of Ashavan (cf. Ashvat-ereata "the Saoyshant or Christ") "bearer of Asha or the best good" and that there may have been a lot of these Holy Ashavan around during those days even within Israel of the Holy Roman Empire which had prior to Roman rule had been incorporated into the "Holy Zoroastrian Empire." Acts even mentions the presence of Medes, and Parthians on the day of the Pentacost.

Re: Anthropomorphms of Jesus

Amergin - do you think Christianity has a net positive effect or net negative effect on the modern world and why?

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about all the dark ages crap that went down; in the 21st century, is Christianity's current impact on the world net positive or net negative in your view and why? i.e. would the world be a better place with Christianity's teachings and the actions/deeds of Christians, or without?

I think that the history of Christianity from its creation in the 4th century to now, it has been negative. All we need to list is the great persecutions of Emperor Theodosius II, St. Cyril's monks looting and burning the Great Library of Alexandria, the anti-pagan, persecutions in Britain, Gaza, and Frankish Kingdoms. Then we have the killing of Saxons by Charlemagne for refusing to convert.

Anti-Muslim Crusades (all 7 of them)

German Teutonic Knights (and Knights of the Sword) conquest and forced conversions in Poland, Moravia, Slovakia, and Lusatia.

The German Christian conquest of Baltic Prussia led to near extermination of Baltic Prussians (genocide) replacing them with German settlers.

Albigensians (Bogomil, Cathar) Crusades (12-13th centuries. Ottoman Turkish conquest of west Balkans was a liberation of the Bogomils from Orthodox persecution. Those Bogomils eventually rejected Trinitarian Heresy and converted to the purer belief of Islam.

Polish and Russian conquest and persecution of Islamic Golden Horde, Khanate of Crimea, Astrakhan, Kazakstan, Turkestan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgistan, Tadjikistan, other Turkish Khanates, and the native Siberians of the East.

European conquest of the Americas with millions of natives killed in warfare, extermination campaigns in expanding USA, and the spread of diseases brought from Europe and some spread deliberately as the first germ warfare.

European transatlantic Black Slave Trade justified by Christianity. Sir John Hawkins captained the first English slave transport ship called the "Jesus." The Christian controlled trans-atlantic slave trade killed untold millions of Africans in the dreadful transport.

There was the religion fueled "Thirty Years War" 1618-1648 between Protestants and Catholics.

The Irish Holocaust by the evil religious maniac, Oliver Cromwell who is estimated to have killed a million Irish in his anti-Catholic campaign in Ireland. He seiged and accepted the surrender of the city of Drogheda, promising to spare the people then ordered slaughter of the city population. He was the Hitler on his own scale.

Irish Potato Holocaust caused by the Potato Blight, resulting in mass starvation because the English Protestants exported most of the surviving potato crop to England. The resulting migration of Irish in 1845-49 in overcrowded ships in the hold like slaves resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths. Religion fueled all of this.

There were many separate holocausts of Native Americans by the Catholic Spaniards and Portuguese.

There was the Great Holocaust of the Christian identifying Nazis in Germany 1935-45, led by Christians Hitler and Himmler.

There has been a widespread epidemic of AIDS partly due to the Pope taught use of condoms was sin.

Christian Evangelicals in Uganda, stirred up by visiting American Crawthumper Evangelicals who preached against homosexuality. Not only preached but recommended life in prison or death penalty. This is mostly run by ordained Fundy preachers.

What would the world be like today if Christianity never existed? Hmmm!

By Christianity I do not mean the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. I mean the Pagan Trinitarian religion of Athanasius and Constantine I of Rome in the 4th Century CE.

Amergin
I don't excuse the horrors and excesses of Islam.

I think that the history of Christianity from its creation in the 4th century to now, it has been negative....What would the world be like today if Christianity never existed? Hmmm! By Christianity I do not mean the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. I mean the Pagan Trinitarian religion of Athanasius and Constantine I of Rome in the 4th Century CE.

Do you think these events would have transpired regardless of the religion that Constantine chose in order to unite his empire?

i.e. are any of the horrors you describe a direct result of elements of Christianity itself; or is Christianity just the religion that the perpetrators happened to be practicing (and I use that word lightly).

It seems to me that most world horrors would have taken place regardless of the particular religion of the bad actors. I think those horrors are more a reflection on human nature gone bad than on a particular religion...

There was the Great Holocaust of the Christian identifying Nazis in Germany 1935-45, led by Christians Hitler and Himmler.

Are you sure that Hitler was really a Christian? And I know I've brought this up with you, but I got notions that he despised Christianity because of its Judaic tradition which he believed was alien to Aryan culture, and he looked to the pre-Christian mythology of the Aryan people. For example, Himmler kept a copy of the Bhagavad-Gita in his pocket. Don't get me wrong Hitler was an F'd up mofo. Genocidal and all. But there's a lot of truth to that, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Christianity responsible for wiping out a good portion of the pre-Christian heritage of the Aryan people. It's almost ironic that the earliest Germanic literature attested was the Gothic bible which is a translation of the NT which was composed by Jews.

Are you sure that Hitler was really a Christian?

Yes, Amergin, are you?

As I see it, and though I have not studied the subject in depth, quite apart from his devotion to Nibelungen Germanism, which is paganism by any other name, I think that Hitler (with Rosenberg's ideological backing) was trying to strip Christianity of its Semitic aspects and make it an Aryan religion along the lines of the early heresiarch, Marcion, more on the heroic model of Classical Greece. They called this movement, and a movement in Germany it was, "Positive Christianity," with all things negative being, of course, Jewish. Many of the premises for what Hitler and Rosenberg considered the new, improved form of Christianity can be found here.

To my view, then, if Hitler were a Christian, he was a so-called "Positive Christian," and that, "Positive Christianity," is as much and more an invention, or pretense, of Hitler and Rosenberg than Roman Catholicism is of Constantine.

By the way, I am glad to meet you and appreciate some of your pugnacious, thought-provoking posts.

Back