The significance of the life and death of Jesus?

Gate - what is your view on faith, then? The NT talks so much about the importance of faith, yet you are agnostic regarding the afterlife and you dismiss Paul's idea that faith is in vain if there is no empty tomb? What exactly do you think Jesus wanted us to have faith in?

For example, “For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7”. Yet when I read Gatekeeper's posts it seems that you're walking more by sight (logic - picking which teachings to follow, for example) than by faith? Thoughts?

I have faith in love, Iowa Guy. Love is the crux of Jesus ministry as far as I can tell. This is my faith, and my hope is that love can change the world. I know what it can do on a personal level, and my hope is that it can have the same effect on a collective level. My faith in a nutshell is that we will all one day live through love, embrace life in all its wonder, and create paradise on earth together as a people.

By imitating another, you simply drop whatsoever is unique about yourself.

Jesus can assist you in understanding, but do not become a carbon copy - Jesus has already been done.

That was His command; "As the Father sent me that's how I send you".If you live in me and my words remain part of you, you may ask what you will and your will shall be done for you."If you continue in my words you are truly my disciple, then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free".

Those sayings are telling us to teach the same teaching as Jesus. I have posted this before . Did you read it? How can you say that He doesn't want you to imitate Him. Then there are the verses that say He gave the words His Father gave Him to His disciples. And the verse how he sent them into the world as He was sent. Don't you believe those verses? Or you just don't want to accept the discipleship?

BK of John;

"The words you gave to me I have given to them, and they accepted them and truly understood that I came from you, and they have believed that you sent me".

"As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world".

It's obvious to me that Jesus wants us to be a teacher like Him. Not only from these words but from many other scriptures throughout the Ot and NT.

Do you think Jesus has imitated God? No, he is has simply showed the same compassion. To share the truth he has preached, you first have to have found it yourself. It is not enough to say you believe and mindlessly ramble off verses, Jesus has spoken against the Priests for this.

Until you have tasted of the divine, do not count yourself a teacher... and if you taste of it, you will know how impossible it is to teach - you can show, but you cannot teach... and by show, I do not mean quoting him.

Do you think Jesus has imitated God? No, he is has simply showed the same compassion. To share the truth he has preached, you first have to have found it yourself. It is not enough to say you believe and mindlessly ramble off verses, Jesus has spoken against the Priests for this.

Until you have tasted of the divine, do not count yourself a teacher... and if you taste of it, you will know how impossible it is to teach - you can show, but you cannot teach... and by show, I do not mean quoting him.

I have truly tasted the divine and drink from the cup of the Lord. The works I do in my Fathers name bear witness for me. This witness is to the Lord not to you because you do not know Him. If you knew me you would know Him also because I come from Him, even though you do not understand my teaching.

Scripture and the son of man including Jesus has said the truth is Gods word and that is what He came to spread as I do.
You cannot understand the truth ,the word of God,until you follow the son of man. So don't tell me I don't know. It is you that cannot bear to hear Gods words. I've shown you the scripture to support Gods words but you refuse His command.Here is scripture that shows who can hear His words.

When he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.

My sheep hear my voice.

The works I do in my Father's name testify to me.
But you do not believe, because you are not among my sheep.

I came down from heaven to do the will of the One who sent me not my own----Whoever chooses to do his will shall know about this teaching.

Unless I wash you, you will have no part of my inheritance.
I have given you an example what I have done that‘s what you must do.

Amen, amen, I say to you, no slave is greater than his master nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him.
Once you know all these things, blessed will you be if you put them into practice.

Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him.

What I say to you in the darkness, speak in the light; what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops.

Everything has been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone who the sons wishes reveal him.

The son can do nothing on his own, he can only do what he sees his father doing; for whatever the father does the son does likewise
For the Father loves the Son and whatever he does he shows him,

Whoever speaks on his own seeks his own glory, but whoever seeks the glory of the one who sent him is truthful, and there is no dishonesty in his heart.

I have truly tasted the divine and drink from the cup of the Lord.

As have I, and yet I am not Christian - so I know Jesus is not the only way. If you truly have, you know there is no possibility of two God's, so what is the need to emulate Christ? All point at the same, why point at a finger when you can point at the moon yourself?

Christ is not special, no religious founder is special, they are just flowers where most of the world remain as seeds. It is simply the difference between the potential and actual, it is not much of a difference. Do you realize that remaining clung to Jesus has brought your ego back in though? You can live the divine, rather than merely taste of it. By clinging to Jesus, though, you have returned to a potential instead of sharing the fragrance of the flower. You can become as Christ, you can become a very fountain of divinity, but this attachment will not permit it. Leave Christ behind and welcome God into your being - understand why Jesus has said "I and my father are one", it is because your very being is one with God.

Jesus goes on saying he serves the Father, yet you serve the servant rather than the true master... it is very strange to me, but it is up to you...

I have truly tasted the divine and drink from the cup of the Lord. The works I do in my Fathers name bear witness for me. This witness is to the Lord not to you because you do not know Him. If you knew me you would know Him also because I come from Him, even though you do not understand my teaching.

Time for some serious drinking brother :)

Scripture and the son of man including Jesus has said the truth is Gods word and that is what He came to spread as I do.
You cannot understand the truth ,the word of God,until you follow the son of man. So don't tell me I don't know. It is you that cannot bear to hear Gods words. I've shown you the scripture to support Gods words but you refuse His command.Here is scripture that shows who can hear His words.

Pauls about something similar

1 Corinthians 2:14
14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

Back