Going through hell before we get to heaven

Gatekeeper

Shades of Reason
Reaction score
My atheist cousin sent me an email with questions about hell, which is something I've been mulling over for quite some time now. He's about as well versed in scripture as the average Christian, so he is familiar with the bible to some extent. I wrote the following in reply and would like to discuss the implications. What is hell and is reincarnation a valid concept?

My email to my cuz:

"I believe we currently reside in the hell Jesus spoke of in his parables. Likewise, I believe this is where we will return if we fail to make the grade. Like the rich man in Jesus' parable, we too may very well face a potential life of torment once again if we neglect our duties in this life. I believe being reborn into this imperfect world is the second death spoken of in the book of Revelation. I believe that life on this earth as it relates to our karmic debt is the hell Jesus alluded to in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.

The earth as it exists today is a place of many trials. It is a place of suffering and torment. It's not necessarily a terrible thing for us all, but it is something that is necessary. Life is where we get our education. We learn from the many hardships we experience in life, some of which we wouldn't wish on our worst enemy. The earth, in effect, is a school where we learn how to live effectively, compassionately, and productively. The more we live, the more we learn and the easier life becomes. I believe we live our lives on this earth until we have learned how to live effectively in God's kingdom. No matter how many lifetimes it takes, I personally believe we are all destined for a perfect world.

Life is about growth, development, learning how to love, and about service. Until we put into practice what we learn and become faithful, living in harmony with those we share this world with, we will continue to experience unnecessary hardships. I believe we need this education in order to become productive members of a perfect society. You can't hardly expect a new creature (Adam/Eve) or a new born babe to know how to live effectively from the get go. For example: You can read about fire and heat and be told about fire and heat, but until you experience getting burned all you have is second hand knowledge. I simply think we are required to experience life first hand in order to understand how to live effectively. It can be no other way as far as I'm concerned. We need our education, and we gain our education by living and by learning our life lessons first hand.

I think the whole point of life and suffering is to teach us how to live appropriately in the kingdom Jesus declared to us. Without knowledge, without understanding, and without our education we cannot possibly hope to maintain a perfect kingdom as a people. We are here to learn how to conduct our lives in God's kingdom, and to learn how to live according to the statutes of our Creator. This school sux sometimes, but if we expect to get ahead in life, we need to be educated. We need to be wise and faithful. I myself want a better life than the one I have today. I am certainly learning how to lead a better life the older I get and the more educated I become. One day I will be fully ready to live my life in the kingdom as a well educated adult, tried and tested by life, and refined by the spirit. Until then, I fully expect to go back to school at the end of each life cycle, so that this "school" might prepare me for a future in God's kingdom.

Each of us are like children I think, and it is life that helps us mature and grow into productive members of society. We most assuredly need this education in order to maintain a perfect society in the future. We need to know and understand how to live in harmony with all things. I believe that we will one day have this knowledge, that we will come to learn how to love w/o condition, and that we will one day live together as one united people. Hell (this earth) is not so much a place of punishment as it is a place of many chances. It doesn't always seem to be fair, but it's all we've got for now.

It is written that it is appointed for a man to die once, then comes the judgement. As a man I will die a "natural death", at which point I believe I will face the potential judgment of being sent back to earth to die again, which is the second death (rebirth). If I make the grade in this life, I believe I will peacefully rest and find comfort in Abraham's bosom until the kingdom is established, at which point I will be raised, or rather reborn into a world w/o suffering. This is my hope anyway. I fully believe that there is more to come after we die. This life is surely not the end of it all. I myself am looking to make the grade. I want to ace life as if it were a final exam or an interview for a perfect career. So yeah, we go through hell in order to get to heaven, just as we go through college in order to secure a future career.

This isn't so much about wanting to believe a thing as much as it's about wanting more and hoping for something better. I'm happy you have found peace as an atheist, cuz. If there is nothing more, then I'll never know. There's no harm in having hope is there? My hope actually helps me appreciate life for what it's worth. The hope I have leads me to care more about the "education" this life offers. I simply pay more attention to the lessons at hand. A hope in the after life certainly isn't required to lead a good life today, but it does give me something more to look forward to. Sure, I have some beliefs that require a good amount of faith, but they help me live a more abundant life today. Some would call me delusional and unrealistic. So what? If it helps me live a beneficial life, then I don't see how it can be a bad thing."

Questions for the board:

For some hell is a literal place of punishment. For others it is simply the grave. Still for others it is something else entirely. No matter how we view hell or the second death, Jesus most certainly taught that such a place exists right? I'm not sure how those here on interfaith view Jesus' parable of the rich man and Lazarus or how you view reincarnation, but the view I presented above does resonate with me. Not only is it hopeful, but I believe it is biblical also. I'd love to hear the board members views of what hell is and perhaps even an explanation of the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. Is anyone up to it? What is hell?

Jesus did say that if we can accept it, John the Baptist was Elijah. I'm not sure what you mean when you make mention of the second coming of Christ, however.

Jesus did say that if we can accept it, John the Baptist was Elijah. I'm not sure what you mean when you make mention of the second coming of Christ, however.

That he is also reincarnated into the Lamb.

I'm fairly sure I know what you are referring to when you mention the lamb. I'm questioning what you mean when you state "reincarnated into the lamb". What does that mean? How is a person reincarnated into the lamb? Are you suggesting that Christ, at his second coming, will be reincarnated (reborn) as a child from an earthly mother? I'm just not sure what you are implying. You are being extremely vague, but I want to understand your pov, which is why I'm asking.

I'm fairly sure I know what you are referring to when you mention the lamb. I'm questioning what you mean when you state "reincarnated into the lamb". What does that mean? How is a person reincarnated into the lamb? Are you suggesting that Christ, at his second coming, will be reincarnated (reborn) as a child from an earthly mother? I'm just not sure what you are implying. You are being extremely vague, but I want to understand your pov, which is why I'm asking.

I do not think Christ was born to Mary, the physical mother. Jesus/Issa was. Begotten by Mary and not begotten by God. The virgin birth as expounded upon in Surat 19: Maryam. Check 19:35...God said "Be" and it was done.

Christ descended into Jesus.

Christ will descend into the Lamb of Revelations.

The soul of Jesus and the Lamb of Revelations is the same and it the soul that can accept Christ.

I'm going to answer from a purely spiritual perspective. Jesus said that 'the kingdom of heaven is within.' To me, this means that we have been given everything that we require to live a joyous life. However, and this is a very big however, we need to believe that we already are complete and that we have been given the kingdom. Most of humanity does not believe this. So we create our own personal hell by our thoughts of lack, limitation, doubt, and fear. These thoughts prevent us from experiencing the kingdom of good, right here on earth.

I believe that we each have a soul purpose for our life's journey. There is something that we want to work on while we are on the planet. This will permit us to evolve into the higher spiritual selves which we already are (but usually don't know).

When we make our transition to the next plane of existence (and I think we personally choose when we are ready to move on), we continue to grow and evolve spiritually. Whether that means we reincarnate back to this planet or we do it in some other realm, I am not quite sure. However, I feel totally clear that we do not go to some place called hell for all eternity. God is love. Therefore, we are given infinite chances to get clear about our oneness with God.

Your cousin is not much of an atheist if he is inquiring about this H E double toothpicks crap!

Tell him to go read Nietzsche's "Will to Power" and get over it

Your cousin is not much of an atheist if he is inquiring about this H E double toothpicks crap!

Tell him to go read Nietzsche's "Will to Power" and get over it

Actually, I think he's just now discovering that he is an atheist. It's not uncommon for newer atheists to attempt to stump the Christian. It usually begins with "how can a loving God ..." It's pretty much routine stuff. I've found that atheists pose very good questions ... At least more seasoned atheists do. I enjoy the challenge, actually. It makes me dig deeper. It makes me seek to understand things more thoroughly.

My cuz inquired about my view of hell in attempt to stump me. I conveyed my view according to my hopes and understanding. He's now moved on to the whole numbers thing. More Christians believe in a literal burning hell than those who don't, so he asked me how I know that I'm correct when so many others view it differently. My reply: "I don't know with any certainty, but I have hope that everyone will one day live in paradise". I made it clear that humanity will be the laborers in this endeavor.

I believe that God affords us ample time, and quite possibly many lifetimes to develop the character necessary to maintain paradise. I've often questioned how any of us could ever hope to know heaven if we never aspire to reach and then learn how to maintain such a place. I am thoroughly convinced that we need to be conditioned, and that our lives on earth prepares us for what's to come, changing us (in time) into who we were born to be.

Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord-- << 2 Corinthians 5:6 >>

we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.<< 2 Corinthians 5:8 >>

There is no hell before heaven.

(1) What is hell?

The greatest attainment in the world of humanity is nearness to God. Every lasting glory, honor, grace and beauty which comes to man comes through nearness to God.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 147

Heaven and hell are symbolic of the soul's relationship to God. Nearness to God results in good deeds and gives infinite joy, while remoteness
from him leads to evil and suffering.

(Misc Baha'i, Brittanica article, p. 6)

(2) and is reincarnation a valid concept?

In our belief the soul is not in-carnate but is rather spiritual in origin and only is associated with the body ..not "incarnate" in it:

As long as a human being lives in this world, the soul and the body are associated with each other. When death takes place, this association comes to an end; the body will return to its origin, which is the earth. The soul also returns to its origin which is the spiritual worlds of God.

~ Adib Taherzadeh, The Covenant of Baha'u'llah, p. 10

He's now moved on to the whole numbers thing. More Christians believe in a literal burning hell than those who don't, so he asked me how I know that I'm correct when so many others view it differently. My reply: "I don't know with any certainty, but I have hope that everyone will one day live in paradise".

How many "correct" interpretations of the bible exist? Is "god's" word (the bible) literal or metaphorical? Is "truth" subjective or absolute? The answers to these questions influence one's view of biblical hell...

A belief in hell is not limited to the Bible. My belief system (I am not a Christian) has the idea of hell. I also believe we can enter both heaven and hell after we die. There is no reason we cannot.

How many "correct" interpretations of the bible exist? Is "god's" word (the bible) literal or metaphorical? Is "truth" subjective or absolute? The answers to these questions influence one's view of biblical hell...

Debatable questions that have no concrete answers. For me, I think the bible is both literal and metaphorical. Truth is both subjective and absolute. All truth's are but half truth's. There are two sides to every coin so to speak. Heaven and hell exist together simultaneously, yet are two very separate things. We experience the qualities of both as living creatures.

My hope is that the unpleasantness of hell will dissipate as life goes on and that the pleasantness of heaven will increase. I truly believe that both depend upon the actions of human kind. Maybe one day we will advance enough as a species to overcome our destructive ways. I have hope for all living creatures. It is my belief that the life we live today tutors us, forever leading us to a more fulfilling life as a collective whole.

Humanity has great responsibility, and I think it falls on us to create heaven on earth by embracing our reality and love. I believe that we have the ability to achieve great things together. I likewise believe we (human kind) have all the time in the world to do so. The sooner we realize that we are the captains of the ship that is the earth, the better off we will be, however. The sooner we work together for the greater good, the sooner we all can lead happy and fulfilling lives as a people.

Either way, IMHO, we seem to be dealing here with a double contradiction. Jesus and John the Baptist were two Jewish men. Jews neither believe in literal reincarnation nor that the dead will ever return from the grave. (Job 10:21; 2 Sam. 12:23)

Either way, IMHO, we seem to be dealing here with a double contradiction. Jesus and John the Baptist were two Jewish men. Jews neither believe in literal reincarnation nor that the dead will ever return from the grave. (Job 10:21; 2 Sam. 12:23)

Apparently Jesus was privy to things the common Jew was not. He was called the son of God after all. He claimed the title and he likewise spoke for God while on earth. I'm reminded of Malachi -

Malachi - 5 “Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the great and awesome day of the LORD comes. 6 And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the land with a decree of utter destruction.”

Matthew - 11 Truly, I say to you, among those born of women there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12 From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and the violent take it by force. 13 For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John, 14 and if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah who is to come. 15 He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Jesus declared that John the baptist was Elijah. John, however, knew himself only as John the baptist. How could he not? John was not privy to who he was in his past life. Elijah returned as a messenger, reborn as John the baptist. John was born of Elisabeth, given the name John, and raised by Elisabeth and Zacharias. Jesus identified John as Elijah the messenger. Elisabeth and Zacharias gave John his known identity. There is no doubt according to my understanding that reincarnation was taught by Jesus during his ministry, hence Jesus identifying John as Elijah the messenger.

Malachi - 1 “Behold, I send my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me. And the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple; and the messenger of the covenant in whom you delight, behold, he is coming, says the LORD of hosts.

JJ ;)

I believe we currently reside in the hell...
You can read about fire and heat and be told about fire and heat, but until you experience getting burned all you have is second hand knowledge.
We need to know and understand how to live in harmony with all things.
If it helps me live a beneficial life, then I don't see how it can be a bad thing.
So you attribute heaven and hell to a place. By sampling and learning the nature of a place, you believe you may overcome getting burned. You think your ignorance is your gate, and acquiring personal knowledge and control of this place is the key to your heaven. It sounds atheist to me, but the irony is that you presume yourself a Christian and write this to an alleged atheist. Your stated hope is essentially: With a science book of buttons, and pressing enough red buttons to learn, I have hope that I find the green button that saves me and opens the gate to heaven. By your words, and based on experience, I imagine life around you would be hell.

No matter how we view hell or the second death, Jesus most certainly taught that such a place exists right?
What if heaven and hell is a choice of action upon others, or a choice of company? Each individual would be their own gate, and themselves their own gate keeper. What if the desire to avoid getting burned, invariably at the expense or the opportunity cost of being good, is essentially throwing away the key? I submit that there is a decision, a choice, of whether or not to suffer the potential evil of others. If that be the case, perhaps avoiding getting burned was a step in the wrong direction.

Back