If Jesus suddenly came to earth, would he approve of modern Christianity?

There are a couple of assumptions being made in this question, which I think miss the point entirely. One, the question assumes that Christ/Jesus does not currently exist upon Earth. This is an understandable mistake, since most do not read the Bible with any real degree of discernment, and rely upon others for their own beliefs and interpretations. Or they simply misinterpret what a statement like, "Seated at the right hand of the Father" might actually suggest, or imply. Easy mistake, given our anthropomorphism and anthropocentrisms.

Then there is the question of - whether directly incarnate or physically accessible again, yet - might the Christ [Christed Jesus, Christed others] not already know quite well what is going on, both in the name of Christianity, and at the hands of those who would exploit the enterprise of religion, as they had already made it in the synogogues of Jesus' day, or centuries before in the earlier religions of the East.

I accept neither of these assumptions as well-founded, for I know Christed Jesus, and others, to be quite present ... and no, they do not approve of anything that misleads, divides or delays our present Humanity on her task of Divine Alignment [alignment with the Divine, for what else matters?].

Since I well understand what this question is asking, ignorant as most are anent the facts of Christ's Reappearance, I would comment upon one of the responses to the article about the poll results.

A Republican in Keystone, South Dakota, USA, states that:
"It is only required of a Christian to believe that Jesus is the son of God. He would be sad to see our behavior but forgive us."
On the last count, I believe this person is spot-on. As to the former, nothing could be further from the Truth, unless you carefully and conditionally re-invent the meaning of the word `believe,' or at least provide the context within which such a statement begins to mean anything at all. I can, for example, believe that all people possess a third arm, growing straight out of their right elbow. Am I correct?

Belief in a thing does not make it true, any more than denial of the facts makes our planet a flat plane, or the Earth the center of all the Cosmos.

Somehow, a strange and misty fog seems to cloud men's minds and judgment once whenever we mention the word religion ... or begin to speak of the wonders of the unpracticed, yet perhaps Noble Idea of Christianity. G.K. Chesterton, I wish you hadn't been correct about that familiar quote of yours, but sure enough, Real Christianity has been found difficult, not yet genuinely attempted, and is really the antithesis of what our friend in South Dakota, as well as elsewhere round the United States, and world, actually practice. Sad, but true.

Quite an interesting response.
On the last count, I believe this person is spot-on. As to the former, nothing could be further from the Truth, unless you carefully and conditionally re-invent the meaning of the word `believe,' or at least provide the context within which such a statement begins to mean anything at all. I can, for example, believe that all people possess a third arm, growing straight out of their right elbow. Am I correct?
I believe you are. Correct that is...that that is your belief.

In biblical times, G!d was pretty darn active...smiting and talking to folks, showing up as burning bushes and killing first borns, supplying locusts, floods, bumper crops...depending on whatever whim or guidance he decided to share...

It's been quiet lately....unless the evangelicals are right and he hurricaned the vodooists in Haiti, set off a tsunami for the Shintoists in Japan, the debauchery in New Orleans got its share...and whoever else collateral damage caught up in his wrath.....and at the same time he blessed Jody with the perfect mate, and little Johnny with a soccer goal.

Everdently if Jesus is around....they really don't see much worth interfering with for the past couple thousand years...

Quite an interesting response. I believe you are.Correct that is...that that is your belief.

In biblical times, G!d was pretty darn active...smiting and talking to folks, showing up as burning bushes and killing first borns, supplying locusts, floods, bumper crops...depending on whatever whim or guidance he decided to share...

It's been quiet lately....unless the evangelicals are right and he hurricaned the vodooists in Haiti, set off a tsunami for the Shintoists in Japan, the debauchery in New Orleans got its share...and whoever else collateral damage caught up in his wrath.....and at the same time he blessed Jody with the perfect mate, and little Johnny with a soccer goal.

Everdently if Jesus is around....they really don't see much worth interfering with for the past couple thousand years...
God never killed anyone. Its about death of the sin not the sinner. There is a good book called signs and symbols of the holy bible that will tell you what the literal translation is for the symbolism such as locusts. When you approach scripture this way gods true nature is revealed. GOD is not the devil. There is a saying that the devils best weapon is the holy bible that is because its so easy to mistranslate when everything is taken literally. We are so used to reasoning things according to what we know of in this world but you must reason scripture with a divine mind and when we reason it with a carnal mind god doesn't look any better than anyone else and the miracles he did are mistranslated to mean acts of violence. Jesus is the example of what god is and what he does. God doesn't change. Jesus healed the sick he didn't infect people with diseases, he raised the dead he didn't kill people. What he did doesn't change the old testament but rather sheds light on what it really means.

Hypothetically of course, if Jesus suddenly came to earth, he would first wonder about the founder of the Christian sect because when he died there were only three sects of Judaism: The Sect of the Pharisees, that of the Sadducees and that of the Essenes. He would also wonder about the Sect of the Nazarenes which part was destroyed by the Romans in the BarKochba war of 134 ACE and the rest joined the Christian Sect of Paul. (Acts 11:26) He would read the gospel of Paul and wonder about this Greek also called Jesus but akin to a Greek demigod which is the son of a god with an earthly woman. Well, it is enough to go berserk, he would say, and would prefer to head back to the grave before the Romans caught him again. He would not even waste his time to research further and learn that the Romans were no more. And the hypothesis was over.

lol donann....G!ds don't kill people, people kill people....too much fun.

Hypothetically of course... LOL....Hypothetically if anything happened it would conveniently validate my belief and conjecture on the subject....of course.

Oh I am SO glad someone bumped this up. Missed it the first time around. Went through quite a bit of browsing and no matter ethnicity, state, political view, education etc. almost all were very close to 90% that Jesus would not approve of modern Christianity.

That IS AbSOlutely fascinating! Though what exactly that is telling us about modern Christians I am sure I do not have a clue!

Too bad they did not think to add one more group - numbers per Christian sect.

I believe that God would be happy with those who have the right beliefs and those who rightly practice those beliefs. I also believe that all of us are sinners and so even though some people on earth try their best to practice their faith correctly, all people still sin.

As for which denomination that Jesus would be the most happy with, I believe it would be the Catholic Church since that is the Church that He founded in my beliefs.

There's a classic story by Dostoevsky called the Grand Inquisitor... I recommend reading it...

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8578

I think this would be the most likely scenario ... As Baha'is we do believe Christ returned and was rejected by men.. very much like the "Man of sorrows" in scripture found at Isaiah 53:3

The GOP pays lip service to Christian values. Nothing more. It is a cynical trick to get people to believe the GOP has a moral center and should be supported. Whenever one needs to mislead people, the two oldest methods are still the best. Wave the flag, or wave the Bible.

That being said, the GOP is about the worst example of a group one could use!

Oh I am SO glad someone bumped this up. Missed it the first time around. Went through quite a bit of browsing and no matter ethnicity, state, political view, education etc. almost all were very close to 90% that Jesus would not approve of modern Christianity.

That IS AbSOlutely fascinating! Though what exactly that is telling us about modern Christians I am sure I do not have a clue!

Too bad they did not think to add one more group - numbers per Christian sect.

To tell you the truth, I can't see the reason for the surprise. Jesus was a Jew whose Faith was Judaism. Why would he approve of modern Christianity? I find quite obvious that he wouldn't.

I believe that God would be happy with those who have the right beliefs and those who rightly practice those beliefs. I also believe that all of us are sinners and so even though some people on earth try their best to practice their faith correctly, all people still sin.

As for which denomination that Jesus would be the most happy with, I believe it would be the Catholic Church since that is the Church that He founded in my beliefs.

Jesus never had absolutely any thing to do with Christianity. The real founded of Christianity whose first denomination turned out to be the Catholic Church was Paul in the city of Antioch. (Acts 11:26)

There's a classic story by Dostoevsky called the Grand Inquisitor... I recommend reading it...

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8578

I think this would be the most likely scenario ... As Baha'is we do believe Christ returned and was rejected by men.. very much like the "Man of sorrows" in scripture found at Isaiah 53:3

The man of sorrows aka the Suffering Servant of Isaiah 53:3 has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus. The Prophet himself identifies the man of sorrows by name to have been Israel. (Isa. 41:8,9; 44:1,2,21)

Would modern Christianity approve of Jesus?

I don't think so because Jesus would soon find out that Christians were using him to preach against his own Faith which was Judaism. Let alone the millions of his brethren who were murdered throughout History through pogroms, blood libels, Crusades, Inquisition and the Holocaust.

Here again, I challenge the hypothetical nature of the discussion ...

Suppose Jesus is here. As was put aptly in a lyric by the band `The The':
"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
He'd be gunned down cold by the C.I.A."
Most of us can probably acknowledge that under ordinary conditions, this is absolutely so.

Therefore, and especially if you have Faith - meaning even just a little bit, nevermind a good bunch - therefore, surely it is prudent to know that, I mean, to believe that OF COURSE Jesus is completely aware of what is going on on our planet, in both general brushstroke, as well as - when necessary - the finest of detail. Here, I mean exactly what I say [type].

Wouldn't it be more worthwhile to ask, and not simply as a hypothetical, since Jesus does know what takes place on our Earth, and in every Nation, as well as within every Human heart ...

What DOES Jesus think of modern Christianity? And what IS He doing about it? And then, further, depending on our answer to these two questions, what are WE willing and able to do to change that (assuming we need to or should do anything)?

Those few questions appear to me to have far more poignancy than the original `What If' ... but then, I'd like to see Nick, Thomas, wil, and others weigh in and make a comment or two, if inclined. :)

It is my belief that he's been around, looked around and like the old adage when the student is ready the teacher will appear.....he keeps looking and has decided there is no need to appear yet.

"...he keeps looking and has decided there is no need to appear yet."

--> Or perhaps there is a great need for him to re-appear, and he needs to keep coming back again and again, until we 'get it right'. There is no reason to assume that his past visit in 4 BC and his future visit in the Age of the Messiah are his only two visits.

exactly.... planting seeds in Alan Watts, Deepak Chopra, Paramahansa Yogananda, Thic Nhat Han, Helen Shucman, Thomas Merton, Neal Walsch, Jack Spaulding, etc...

Back