God for atheists, agnostics, doubters, religious humanists and others

Marcialou

We are stardust
Reaction score
I call myself an atheist because I don’t believe in an all-powerful, all-seeing, all-knowing, all beneficent, everlasting creator who has a plan for us and the universe. However, I do have an interest in religion and spirituality; that’s why I joined this forum. I’m not one to denigrate believers.

So on the occasion when I find myself in a religious setting, such as a wedding or a funeral, I try to subdue my atheism. When God is invoked I try to imagine something which reflects my spiritual values and makes what’s being said, meaningful for me. For example, at a funeral I attended recently, the rabbi made it easy. He spoke of how people often lose sight of God in the face of the death of a loved one, but how it’s important to find God somewhere within your grief. Then he said, “If you don’t believe in God, think of it as hope for the future.” That’s the sort of thing I try to do.

Does anyone else ever invoke non-traditional ideas of God, either to translate the God-talk into something you believe or because that’s how you really think of God?

Absolutely! That's sort of the idea behind my own ministry. We're an odd mix of Christianity and Hinduism. We focus on the life lessons contained within the 2 faiths and speak of God in broad general terms, leaving exact interpretation up to each individual.

Our group includes members of the Jewish, Hindu, and Christians faiths. Each with a different concept of God.

Marcia, you should do a search on Deism.

Post-Modern Deism (defined) - An impersonal God exists, that is basically just a force. God does not possess conscious intelligence or will. Do not believe in an afterlife.

My personal take on the above definition - there is no God, though there may (or may not) be a cosmic consciousness that permeates everything everywhere. If such a consciousness does exist I perceive it as a communal mind of which we are all a part.

If this sounds at all interesting see this post for further details on my introduction page:

http://www.interfaith.org/forum/285769-post12.html

Yes, Marcialou, I think I do. But I haven't thought about it like that. I can't connect spiritually to...anything, but it's seems like such a key part of humanity. I would try to understand it the best I can, even if it's only on an intellectual level.

I have never felt anything which I could describe as 'spiritual', even when I was going through the motions of being a 'born again' Christian as a young person.

I can't connect spiritually to...anything, but it's seems like such a key part of humanity. I would try to understand it the best I can, even if it's only on an intellectual level.

This has always been so difficult for me to comprehend about you, Tea. That all of spirituality and theology is but an intellectual exercise for you. Do you have any understanding of yourself as to why there is this chasm within you?

This has always been so difficult for me to comprehend about you, Tea. That all of spirituality and theology is but an intellectual exercise for you. Do you have any understanding of yourself as to why there is this chasm within you?

No, no idea, there is a pretty sturdy wall between me and my emotions, and I've always imagined a connection there. The wall has crumbled some during my 20s, and I'll hope it'll continue till the day I die. With luck, I might see what others see so clearly?

Nothing wrong in an intellectual exercise, imo

Does anyone else ever invoke non-traditional ideas of God, either to translate the God-talk into something you believe or because that’s how you really think of God?[/SIZE]
I think to honestly measure and know what is traditional and non-traditional sort of requires an all seeing and all knowing person. Otherwise we only have a measured approximation based on one data point... our own experience. When another person invokes a name or a word, we don't really have their experience. At best we only have their description of their experience, and relate it to our own. Upon hearing any word from anyone, translation is a comparison with personal experience.

Marcialou said:
Then he said, “If you don’t believe in God, think of it as hope for the future.”
I would say if you don't believe in God, think of it as hope in another person.

...I would try to understand it the best I can, even if it's only on an intellectual level.

And to your credit. You know, I'm glad you said that. Truth be told; I am a bible-believing Christian. But my doctrine is based almost entirely on intellectual deductions and conclusions. I don't know of any Christians with beliefs anywhere close to mine. And yet, most first impressions people have of me is of me as a strict, fundamentalist hardliner.

You do live in a very fundamentalist, hardliner part of the country, F. So I guess it is natural that other Christians would view you that way. It is how they view themselves. Do you think that is accurate?

You do live in a very fundamentalist, hardliner part of the country, F. So I guess it is natural that other Christians would view you that way. It is how they view themselves. Do you think that is accurate?

I guess that's possible. But I think most of it is reactionary. As soon as someone realizes I believe the bible, I can hear their tornado siren going off, from all the way over here.

Believing the bible is seen as radical, if not backward these days.

And to your credit. You know, I'm glad you said that. Truth be told; I am a bible-believing Christian. But my doctrine is based almost entirely on intellectual deductions and conclusions. I don't know of any Christians with beliefs anywhere close to mine. And yet, most first impressions people have of me is of me as a strict, fundamentalist hardliner.

I am not quite sure how one can believe the Bible to be literally true, if one uses one's intellect?

"If you can give me an example, I will show you."

--> The human race was created on Genesis Day Six. Was the human race created again in the story of Adam and Eve?

I call myself an atheist because I don’t believe in an all-powerful, all-seeing, all-knowing, all beneficent, everlasting creator who has a plan for us and the universe. However, I do have an interest in religion and spirituality; that’s why I joined this forum. I’m not one to denigrate believers.

So on the occasion when I find myself in a religious setting, such as a wedding or a funeral, I try to subdue my atheism. When God is invoked I try to imagine something which reflects my spiritual values and makes what’s being said, meaningful for me. For example, at a funeral I attended recently, the rabbi made it easy. He spoke of how people often lose sight of God in the face of the death of a loved one, but how it’s important to find God somewhere within your grief. Then he said, “If you don’t believe in God, think of it as hope for the future.” That’s the sort of thing I try to do.

Does anyone else ever invoke non-traditional ideas of God, either to translate the God-talk into something you believe or because that’s how you really think of God?

I think you are an agnostic, not an atheist. An Atheist believes there is no god, an agnostic, occupies the logical position, not believing there is nor believing there is no god

I am not quite sure how one can believe the Bible to be literally true, if one uses one's intellect?
But, Quirkybird, you're just the other extreme, you assume the Bible can only be read literally, and then proceed to judge it accordingly. You're not different in that regard.

Back