Skipped Heart Beats

I just wanted to let everyone know. NJ isn't doing too well at the moment. Doc put him on some meds that ended up making matters worse. I've known him for many years and he's been a good mate. He could really use our prayers right now... :(

Thanks for the update, Aussie. That's distressing news and I'm sorry to hear things have gotten worse for NJ. Definitely keeping him in my prayers and sending positive thoughts his way.

Wishing NJ a speedy recovery, hope to see him back here soon.

Thanks Guys. Much appreciated. I'm not out yet, just had a very bad reaction to Metoprolol. My cardiologist prescribed them for me once a day a few months ago. I'm not a fan of beta blockers so I never took any, but about 2 weeks ago my heart skips got rather intense so I decided to give it a try. Big mistake!

Right after taking the 1st dose I felt lightheaded and full in the chest. Not bad though and within 2 hours, for the first time in 6 months my heart was beating normal again. Sometime in the overnight the skips returned, but not nearly as bad as they were the day before. (Continued below)

Last edited:
The next day I took another pill and as before the skips stopped within 2 hours. This time though, the lightheaded feeling was more intense as was the fullness in the chest. Fatigue was also beginning to be a factor, but tolerable. By 7pm the skips returned a bit more intense than before, but not as bad as they had been. The side effects also continued. By morning I was still lightheaded and still experiencing fullness in the chest with a skipping heartbeat.

After that day's dose I went from lightheaded to downright dizzy and the fullness in my chest turned to outright pain and unlike the previous 2 days, the skips never stopped, but instead became quite erratic as did my BP. I contacted my regular doctor and he assured me this was normal and that it would pass in 4 to 5 weeks! Yeah right. That's probably because dead people don't have health issues! I stopped taking the damn pills 4 days ago. The lightheadedness subsided greatly as did the fatigue. I still have a mild tightness in the chest and my skips are ever present, but more uniform.

At this point I have no idea what to do. My mother-in-law has been to a local sage in Fiji though and he gave her some goodies. One of my sister-in-laws has been wanting to visit so she'll be bringing the goods personally this Saturday.

Stay tuned......

I contacted my regular doctor and he assured me this was normal and that it would pass in 4 to 5 weeks! Yeah right. That's probably because dead people don't have health issues!

That's ridiculous! What a lack of patient care.

Hopefully the goodies from Fiji do the trick...

All very scary my brother....the best thing goin it sounds like to me are your spirits! If anything helps healing and the healers it is the attitude of the patient...

Is one of the "goodies" a member of the superior species, aka a :kitty:? Tovarish wants/demands to know.

Oh, and she sends her purrs.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
I don't know for sure what my sister-in-law may be bringing, but if she went to the Sage I'm thinking of, he has countless kitties in council all the time. They follow him everywhere.

I don't know for sure what my sister-in-law may be bringing, but if she went to the Sage I'm thinking of, he has countless kitties in council all the time. They follow him everywhere.

Ah, his clowder direct his work, adding a touch of :kitty: "medicine" when/where they deem necessary. :D

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I'm not out yet, just had a very bad reaction to Metoprolol.
Jeez NJ. I took metoprolol earlier this year - just once. My BP dropped to something like 85/58. I thought it was time to cut the lilies. I sure can empathize. Wishing for you the best. ED

Jeez NJ. I took metoprolol earlier this year - just once. My BP dropped to something like 85/58. I thought it was time to cut the lilies. I sure can empathize. Wishing for you the best. ED
They had me on 5mg Bystolic before that. Side effects were actually much worse. You see, back when this all started, I had high BP, was a bit overweight and had an accelerated pulse. I also had no insurance at the time so no real tests were done.

My doc reasoned that the heart skips were related to my weight and BP. So, he gave me the Bystolic. Later he told me that the only reason he gave it to me is because he had a bunch of samples that were about to go out-date. Anyway, within a few weeks my skips stopped and my BP was normal as was my pulse rate. Everything was fine until I lost 35 pounds. By losing the weight, my BP came down on it's own. Now the Bystolic was dropping my pressure too far and my pulse as well.

Doc told me to gradually reduce the dose until I was off it. That's when the side effects really kicked in. Eventually I was off of it, but the skips returned. My BP and pulse rate however, stayed low. Umpteen tests later and still no conclusion.

Cardiologist reasoned that beta blockers were the only answer and prescribed a low dose of Metoprolol. Oddly, it actually raised my BP and pulse rate slightly. Until it started to wear off. I woke up one morning with an 82/40 with a 46 pulse! Might have been able to compensate for that if it wasn't for the dizziness and chest pain that went along with it.

Back