How Easily We are Fooled.

Aussie - Re faith - I understand where you are coming from. Actually it is the "chicken or egg" scenario I think.

Miracles to me are simply unexplained happenings but I am a true believer in nothing is a miracle or everything is a miracle...

I do not miss NJ's point nor do I dismiss it. I simply disagree. It is not math...;)

Thanks - Edgy

I do understand NJ's premise! Don't agree. Have a good un. Cheers to you, Aussie!

Example: 2+2=4 is true only some of the time. There is more disciplines to math than that which is called "pure math" where indeed 2+2=4. In binary terms, for example, 2+2=1010 or expressed as a decimal as 170

No 2+2=4 is true all of the time, if one is using a base 10 mathematical system. If you change to another mathematical system, as in binary, the answer is different from the base 10 answer - but it is still always the same answer for that system. This is where I perceive your logic is flawed. That one uses different numbers as the base mathematical system does not change the answers within that system. They are always the same in that system. Faith has nothing to do with it.

I don't find that the logic is flawed because the system was never defined and there, I think, lies the lesson to take away. At the start of this discussion NJ stated that there were no reason to question things when you think you know the answer, like 2+2=4. But if he was sitting in a different class and the teacher wrote 2+2=1010 he would just assume that it was wrong because the system he is using says differently. That is why I think he and Aussie has a hard time relating to atheism, the system is utterly foreign to them.

Thanks Tea. I couldn't have made my point nearly as well as you have...

If the math system is not defined at the start it is a very poor class indeed. If anyone asked the teacher why 2+2=1010, the answer would be readily available. This example is one of ignorance.

I'm going to let this topic go now though. I think we have retreaded enough that, unless someone offers something new to the discussion, we have come as far as we can.

If the math system is not defined at the start it is a very poor class indeed. If anyone asked the teacher why 2+2=1010, the answer would be readily available. This example is one of ignorance

Your analogy does expose your ignorance and this particular post exposes your arrogance. Yes, this thread has been beaten to death. I will bow out.

I think that most threads I've seen over the years end up dead because the spirit of inquiry is absent. There is an intriguing issue here that isn't being touched, and that is the capricious nature of divine intervention. Apparently in most of our stories about miraculous events God decides to intervene sometimes and sometimes not. Sometimes someone is saved, but many of us have lived long enough to see many who fell prey to evil things without anyone to save them. Children can be raped and murdered. Women can be sold into the sex industry. War, injustice, hatred, bigotry, all of these things exist in a world where we believe in miracles, and because of their nature, we often have to construct a system of apologetics in which normal likelihoods can be suspended. In short, an ad hoc explanation. All of us tend to build narratives, we "storify" things. That is a very strong human tendency. I'm doing it right now! The problem is that if I wasn't aware of that I could begin to argue when someone else tells their story, or in other words, their point of view.
Devil's Advocate makes an excellent point that we can spin a story around things even when there isn't any evidence to support our conclusion. Well, that is basic to human nature, we do it as a matter of course.
Folks with an authoritarian background often have strong feelings about ambiguity and cling to ideas that make them feel safe. Questioning that outlook normally causes a feeling of angst, and you can be sure there will be some reactivity on their part. So at the end, everyone will have to get their needs met and questioning peoples mental formations leads to arguments and eventually, dead threads.

Sounds a lot like man's nature being confused with God's and the negative actions of man being mistaken for the inaction of God. Then again I may just be looking out a different window.

Sounds a lot like man's nature being confused with God's and the negative actions of man being mistaken for the inaction of God. Then again I may just be looking out a different window.

Yes, that's the point. Which means that your point of view, your story is just as valid as mine, and like mine there are elements you choose and elements that are left out. That is how stories and even songs are made. If I wrote a song there would be notes I would use and some I would not, otherwise it would sound rather unpleasant, the song wouldn't tell a story. So we do the same thing. In your world, there is a God who interacts with His creation in a specific manner. In other peoples view, that wouldn't make sense, it would mean a capricious god that interacted when he felt like it and other times did not. The mere fact that we can all construct different stories about how things are should tell us something important about reality. Sadly, this is often not the case. In a book called "A Course In Miracles" it is said that when a person changes their mind, this is a miracle. In all my studies of social psychology I would have to agree. Studies show just how much people cling to a particular idea if it meets their perceived needs. Those of us who suffer from mental illness know that our perceptions can be skewed. I know I tend to dramaticize and catastrophize things easily. I know that my emotional reaction to things can be way stronger than normal people. Maintaining an honest awareness of my thoughts, feelings, and the story I'm telling myself, the beliefs I hold is critical for me.
So, even if I see things differently from you, it really doesn't matter, and it doesn't invalidate your beliefs either. The problem exists when people cannot stand to look at their ideas and beliefs in the hard light of day. This is why atheists, and scientists get a bad rap with religious people who prefer to keep their present understanding of things.
Personally I always want to understand things deeper than I do. Maybe because of mental illness I have always desired to move beyond my current understanding, even if it means being in a place where I have no place to plant my feet. I have to live with a certain amount of ambiguity all the time because I never know for sure if I'm seeing things aright. For some, this kind of ambiguity is intolerable and wish to have something that doesn't change, rules about the way things are that never change. I get that. I understand the need for it, and wouldn't want to take away someones emotional/cognitive support.

I'm not one to psychoanalyze things. I just follow the scripture of my faith as written and accept that not all do that or have the same interpretation as myself. As scripture so states. Nor would I belittle anyone's faith by reducing it to nothing more than an emotional/cognitive support mechanism.

I'm not one to psychoanalyze things. I just follow the scripture of my faith as written and accept that not all do that or have the same interpretation as myself. As scripture so states. Nor would I belittle anyone's faith by reducing it to nothing more than an emotional/cognitive support mechanism.
So you feel that the phrase was belittling? In this case you may be seeing something I did not intend. I don't think people's faith is merely a support system, their thinking and feeling process around that faith is. So here I think there is a confusion of meaning. Every good counselor is trained not to undermine a persons support system of beliefs and ideas. This is not to say a religion is merely such, but your ideas about your religion most certainly are. This is why Jesus told us not to rely on our own understanding, as it is humanly faulty by its own nature.

So you feel that the phrase was belittling?
I do actually. To faith in general and one's beliefs about said faith in particular. Not to mention condescending.
This is not to say a religion is merely such, but your ideas about your religion most certainly are.
This one as well.
I understand the need for it, and wouldn't want to take away someones emotional/cognitive support.
It is what it is mate. No matter the spin applied afterward.

I do actually. To faith in general and one's beliefs about said faith in particular. Not to mention condescending.

This one as well.

It is what it is mate. No matter the spin applied afterward.
I'm genuinely sorry you feel this way. I cannot be responsible for how you see things or what you perceive my intent is. My guess is that you've been hurt pretty badly in the past, and most likely treated poorly for you to see criticism where none is intended. I'm talking about a very real aspect of human experience. William James, considered the father of modern psychology explored this very subject, not in a derisive way, but to explore the human experience of faith and religion. I do the same thing, and having studied many religions and philosophies over the years have a deep and abiding respect for all of them. You must understand that to explore something isn't deriding it.

I'm genuinely sorry you feel this way. I cannot be responsible for how you see things or what you perceive my intent is.
Same here. Let's just say, intent doesn't always match perception and leave it at that. No need for conjecture regarding my past or how I may or may not have been treated.

Last edited:
I think that most threads I've seen over the years end up dead because the spirit of inquiry is absent.
It's a pity, but it's the nature of the forum, and on balance...

There is an intriguing issue here that isn't being touched, and that is the capricious nature of divine intervention.
I actually composed a long post on this aspect of the discussion, and then dumped it

Apparently in most of our stories about miraculous events God decides to intervene sometimes and sometimes not. Sometimes someone is saved, but many of us have lived long enough to see many who fell prey to evil things without anyone to save them...
The question of Theodicy is as old as Abrahamic monotheism — the Book of Job is an extended contemplation on this question — and the later books of the Christian Bible, the apocryphal Jewish texts — also treat of the issue.

The Jewish view of God as active within world history in general and Hebrew history in particular, so we end up with the view that when good things happen to Israel, it's God's reward, and when bad things happen, it's God's punishment ... this really is not far from the idea that thunder means God is angry ...

My Catholicism is 'Christian Neoplatonism', and I fall back on the words on the Course Director of a very traditional and orthodox Catholic university — 'Christianity is the Salvation History of Judaism in the light of the Greek philosophical tradition' — and that's a phrase that requires a lot of unpacking!

But I struggle with, and do not accept, the idea of miracle as proposed in the text that DA cited, nor can I agree, theologically and philosophically, with the position of NJ or AT, although I do hold to the idea of the miraculous ... I just don't accept the idea of God micromanaging events or, as you point out, given to arbitrary or capricious actions.

If I may paraphrase:
where evil ... things exist in a world where we believe in miracles, and because of their nature, we often have to construct a system of apologetics in which normal likelihoods can be suspended.
Yes, but that apologia is something of a sliding scale, with the hard rule of reason, logic, rationality at one end, and superstition and/or sentimentalism at the other.

All of us tend to build narratives, we "storify" things. That is a very strong human tendency. I'm doing it right now! The problem is that if I wasn't aware of that I could begin to argue when someone else tells their story, or in other words, their point of view.
All true, but that does not negate dialogue nor reason.

Devil's Advocate makes an excellent point that we can spin a story around things even when there isn't any evidence to support our conclusion.
That's an investing position, but we should proceed cautiously. I listened to a debate in which a secular sociologist was discussing the rise of Christianity. Her position was something happened, something extraordinary, to result in the explosive expansion of the religion ... whether one believes in what happened is another story.

Folks with an authoritarian background often have strong feelings about ambiguity and cling to ideas that make them feel safe.
Oh absolutely! I recall discussing with someone how many people flee one authoritarianism, and fly to another, which they perceive as freeing them from the first! This can have tragic consequences, are we're witnessing with Daesh at the moment.

Questioning that outlook normally causes a feeling of angst...
There is an element of people posting on forums such as this to get their narrative validated ... and they quickly vanish when that validation does not happen. Similarly, the lack of 'orthodox' contribution points to how quickly the topic ceases to be what is being discussed.

Whilst we all storify, the contemporary assertion that my story is valid because it's my story, is a dangerous nonsense, but it's often surprising how strongly people will defend that view, which flies in the face of common sense and common experience. Blair took the Uk to war on just that principle.

I'm just struck by how seldom you, @Thomas, and I get stuck in long-winded discussion trying to understand each others point of view. Which I get into with most other people here. But you are so incredibly precise! I can quickly identify where I disagree or misunderstand, and by knowing this I can make a very specific comment or question. You use a language I can easily understand even when you are writing about things that are hard for me to relate to.

I just want to give you some credit for your well written posts and making me reading it very satisfying.

Back