Can we know for certain anything about God and what he plans for us?

Can we know with certitude a God exists and his intention for the human race?

• Total voters
We don't know though, right? At this time we cannot go before the big bang. We have conjecture that fits down to micro-seconds before the big bang, but the bang itself, nope we still do not have a clue. Even 10 years ago we didn't have the tools and experiments to get that close to the singularity event and explain what happened. Now we can in theory. We may yet find a way to identify how everything erupted from nothing. Or we may never be able to bridge that last few micro-seconds.

So I guess what I am saying is that we just don't know yet whether we will ever be able to get to just before the big bang or not.

But perhaps we can say that where the maths throws up the symbol for infinity, it cannot process further?

You can't multiply or divide infinity, for instance. Or deal with issues outside time/space, like dark matter and dark energy.

(I've always been lousy at maths, but I do enjoy 'armchair science for amateurs' -- without equations) :)

Last edited:
As you know I have difficulty with that latter concept. It doesn't seem reasonable to me to say if A then B in this particular situation.
I agree. Hence my answer to Wil's maths = scripture kind of comment; we're back down the empirical rabbit hole again.

The 'if A then B' held a lot of sway in Europe when Bultmann was active 'demythologising' Scripture, then Bultmann was himself demythologised when logic showed that 'if A reads like B' that does not mean, as Bultmann assumed, that A and B belong to the same genre.

Wil's in the same camp, I think: empiricism rules and the physical sciences will one day explain everything, and anything they can't explain can't be true/exist/happen ...

For me it's a given that the world's sacra doctrina occupies its own sphere in the world's literature. If leading philosophers can accept that, then so can I, without invoking some kind of 'Catch 22', it's just the nature of the thing. It's simply not the same as other texts, even though its bears many of the similarities.

... and have spent a lot of time trying to comprehend how some people believe scripture can be taken literally. Whatever the answer is has remained beyond my ability to grasp.
The issue, I assume, is with the Abrahamic texts which insist certain events actually happened?

Texts that offer the Noble Truths, for example, are easily acknowledged, even if accepted. The western maxim that Buddhism is 'a philosophy, not a religion' is just another example of western rationalism at work.

The only offering I can make is that sacra doctrine speaks to the heart, not the head ... As Paul Ricoeur said, there's a distinction between 'critique' and 'conviction' and one cannot confound the two. Invariably, as the evolution of science and knowledge generally occurs, it begins with a conviction (that the question can be answered) and ends with critique (the answer). The same process with Faith, which begins as a conviction (even if a culturally received conviction) and ends with a critique if the believer finds it necessary to do so ... some of the most enlightened don't ... and as much as those insist that it should be necessary, it really isn't, this argument us usually made by those who don't profess a faith.

The biggest stumbling block, I suppose, is miracles. How can one logically, reasonably, rationally, accept a miracle?

Most, I reckon, accept and don't question, on the basis that they don't actually believe because of the miracles, they believe in a broader narrative of which the miracles is a part.

The rational mind says miracles are impossible. But that's only the case within the mind's model. The same minds hold that the laws of nature are fixed and immutable. Are we so sure? Does not Quantum Physics infer a certain plasticity? And is God not savvy enough to work within His creation without ripping the whole thing apart?

Again, I find it easier to believe Christ restored the sight of the man born blind than I do that Elvis is alive and well in a parallel universe — something that apparently QP assures us is the case.

And while physicists can argue the state of Schrodinger's cat, anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that it is not alive and dead at the same time.

And all this blether really boils down to ... the mental model you're working to.

Math modeling is an exact science.
OK.

Scriptural modeling, or any language modeling for that matter is an inexact science.
Inexact in that the modelling for maths is deficient when applies to other situations. We're back to 'if A then B' assumption which I challenge.

If something transcends the boundaries of empirical exactitude (Good Lord ... am I becoming American? :eek:) then it's unfair to declare it 'inexact' when comparing it to something far simpler.

It's about meaning, not matter; its qualitative, not quantitative.

In school, math tests were easy to grade; either one got the right answer of one did not. In english, writing an essay response is up to opinion as to how well the student grasped the material. A paper in favor of a proposition and a paper opposed to the proposition can both be excellent papers and awarded A's even though they come to opposite conclusions.
Quite, but the exams are no less 'real' and are harder to mark because they require more of the examiner.
(Surveys have shown that more CEOs and Board Directors have a degree in history, where it's not about the facts but about interpretation, because there's more to the world than facts.)

When I did A-level Art (at 18) part of the paper was a 15-hour themed piece. We were all slaving away in the studio. My best pal was going through something of a teenage trauma. Lots of anger, lots of angst. Pressured by staff, in protest he turned up without any kit and managed to borrow a paintbrush and three tubes of paint. He painted the paper black, then did a red squiggle and a yellow one, then walked out. He was in the room for no more than 15 minutes. He got an A.

I can ridicule the whole system on the basis of that. I can justify the 'A' as his was the more real piece of work. Depends what mood I'm in...

This where you have to set aside rational logic, math, science, and history meet...yah just gotta have faith....

For scientist to believe the unseen, they invent radio telescopes and electron microscopes....
And while physicists can argue the state of Schrodinger's cat, anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that it is not alive and dead at the same time.
I think the difference is we don't know...

We both know we don't know, but someone makes some sort of prediction or theory...and a whole slew of people buy it...yet in reality we don't know. We want to think the cat is alive...it would be nice...it is my prefurred outcome.... But we don't know.

I always thought that was part of the reason Buddhism was labelled philosophy.... As it didn't tell you what to think regarding the big unknowns... Afterlife, existence of G!d...
Wil's in the same camp, I think: empiricism rules and the physical sciences will one day explain everything, and anything they can't explain can't be true/exist/happen ..
Yes and nah... Anything they can't explain...is simply still impossible with today's knowledge... So yeah mythology until shown as fact...hearsay is not asmissable in court.

... And while physicists can argue the state of Schrodinger's cat, anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that it is not alive and dead at the same time...

Your common sense is telling you kitty is either alive or dead before you open the door.

Scrodiger is telling you kitty is both dead and alive UNTIL you open the door.

It demonstrates the non-intiitive nature of quantum physics. Imo

And it obviously applies only to quantum particles, not to anything as large as a cat.

Doesn't look like we're getting anywhere on this roundabout this time either (how many times has it been now?), we all hold tightly to our idea of what quantitative data is and what qualitative data is and how they relate. Obviously Thomas and I are correct and DA and wil are just plain wrong...but how you prove it...

I don't even know how it continues.. So I'll repeat my previous conclusion, but say it louder.

He put that cat in the box a long time ago...no food, no water, no one changing the litter or cleaning up the hairballs. The cat is dead... It will take a mira....

I think this is unfair, it judges one system from the premise of another.

I agree with you. I am not judging one system from the premise of another though. I am saying the two systems are different and have to be judged differently. Hence my comparison between grading the validity of a math quiz versus testing the validity of an english essay. The english essay is here representing the concept of validating scripture - another form of writing.

Thomas has given me an even better example to use in his comments about the art exam he mentioned. Deciding the quality (accuracy) of art is far better than my english example. Will come back to that as soon as I can. For now, work calls!

Schrodiger was actually using his cat to poke fun at Neil's Bohr's Copenhagen Academy's quantum conclusions. He later had to admit they were correct.

Google also: The Double-Slit Experiment -- which has a single photon particle manifesting in two positions at the same time -- and also Quantum Entanglement which has instantaneous communication of information between quantum particles at any distance.

I promise to shut-up about the cat now ...
:)

Last edited:
This where you have to set aside rational logic, math, science, and history meet...yah just gotta have faith...
LOL, come on Wil, that sounds like a 'sour grapes' response.

I always thought that was part of the reason Buddhism was labelled philosophy.... As it didn't tell you what to think regarding the big unknowns... Afterlife, existence of G!d...
Nah, the label is a western one to make it more appealing to consumers. The East doesn't really observe the labels that we do.

The Buddhist said don't sweat the big questions. But there is talk of the afterlife and 'the uncreated'. Lordy, Buddhists can bang on about sin as much as the Christian, and they have way more hells and devils than we do!

Anything they can't explain...is simply still impossible with today's knowledge...
I know, more of the science v religion nonsense and empirical elitism.

Just a quick aside. Although I share Wil's faith in the ability of science to answer many questions as we move forward in time, I do not believe science will ever be able to provide the answers to everything. I know I keep harping on this one issue - science is a technique to look at the physical world and understand how it works. It is NOT a means to understand the morality of how things work. We can create nuclear fission. That's what science can do. Whether we use that discovery to make nuclear reactors to power the planet or use the discovery to make nuclear bombs to destroy the planet - science has no part in that at all. Science discovers what we can do, it cannot discover what we should do.

Yes, when we find out why humans choose bombs over power, destruction over creation, that will me monumentous and I am not holding my breath...

But as to the nature of the universe, the how of existence.... Will we know everything? Nah there will always be nuance and crossing all the eyes...but like the mathematician and the physicist and the naked lady...we will get close enough for practicle purposes.

Yes, when we find out why humans choose bombs over power, destruction over creation, that will me monumentous and I am not holding my breath...

But as to the nature of the universe, the how of existence.... Will we know everything? Nah there will always be nuance and crossing all the eyes...but like the mathematician and the physicist and the naked lady...we will get close enough for practicle purposes.

It started with control of fire. But those people didn't try to own it. They looked up -- they were humble -- they never dared scorn the spirit, to elevate human wisdom?

Last edited:
'In a sacred manner I live. To the heavens I gazed. In a sacred manner I live. My horses are many.'
Sioux Song. From 'Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee'

Last edited:
Yes, when we find out why humans choose bombs over power, destruction over creation

We already know the answer to this. Just that no one likes the answer. We are destructive by nature. Millions of years of violence inbred within us, with a few thousand years where we have shellacked a veneer of civilized behavior over the top. We are, for all intents and purposes, no different than the protohumans from which we evolved.

Religion wants us to believe that humanity is the apex of evolution. Science shows us that there never was, and never will be, an ever escalating advancement of evolution resulting in us. Evolution is random. Better creatures live and die and new creatures arise that may be more advanced. Or not. Evolution is a roll of the dice.

In point of fact, the evidence is not yet in whether the evolution of modern man is the best thing to ever happen to the planet. Or the worst thing to ever happen to the planet. Dinosaurs lived 65 millions years and got along just fine with the world. We have been around a few million and we are on the edge of making the planet uninhabitable for life.

It started with control of fire. But those people didn't try to own it. They looked up -- they were humble -- they never dared scorn the spirit, to elevate human wisdom?
Yeah, right.

I can imagine the power trips, fights, egos, control over who controls the fire....as it is still going on.

Reactions: RJM
Religion wants us to believe that humanity is the apex of evolution. Science shows us that there never was
You are putting these two side by side and comparing them again, as if they measure the same thing. Light years and kilograms measure different things for different purposes.

Yeah, right.

I can imagine the power trips, fights, egos, control over who controls the fire....as it is still going on.

Of course, they were constantly at war. But they looked upward. They were humble before the mysteries of their Deity -- whether The Great Spirit, or whatever name they used.

That's gone now. The arrogance of many (most) scientists is breathtaking. imo.

... Religion wants us to believe that humanity is the apex of evolution ...

It does?

Of course, they were constantly at war. But they looked upward.

For what? That was part of the mistaken illusion...just like footballers pointing to the sky...to what? An imaginary heaven we know is not up there? Australians, Europeans, Americans, all pointing up in a different directions... How does that even make sense?

Back