New Messiahs

That is beside the point .. some people believe in the existence of a Creator "our Father".
..but mankind's arrogance leads them to division and hate, IMO.
i.e. they believe that a messiah will be sent exclusively for (insert your 'lot' here)
My creators were my father and mother, sometime in the spring of the year 1942. No third entity involved.
No God, no messenger, There were sages who said wise things. One was raised by a poor Muslim couple, weavers, Niru and Nima - Kabir.

196px-Kabir004.jpg

You have to understand that in many systems this is just the point.

The West makes it an absurd assertion, but I would argue it's actual sanity.

Sane means compliant with reality, thus ignorance is already insanity.

Of course there are false claimants, but these will be divisive.

If your teacher is constantly conveying unity they are a gate to truth.

The neat thing about this is it doesn't actually matter whether they know it.

Your own genuineness will bring about fruits.

Why? If I dip a cup into the sea and hold it up, is the seawater in the cup qualitatively different to the sea it came from?
Firstly it is only a snippet, not containing the entire essence of the sea.

Once that spippet detached from the whole, it is subject to change. For a very short time it would remain as a snippet of the source and then it would suffer stagnation, not able to be sustained by the whole.

Regards Tony

If your teacher is constantly conveying unity they are a gate to truth.
One also has to understand the motive of the teacher. If that is self-promotion, then the person is no more than a scammer.
It is the ocean, but it is not the ocean.
What if there is nothing other than ocean. That is 'Non-duality' in Hinduism.

One also has to understand the motive of the teacher. If that is self-promotion, then the person is no more than a scammer.

At the same time if you're not ready even a genuine teacher will be of no help...

It is more about the student.

It is the ocean, but it is not the ocean.

In quantum field theory we know that everything we see across the universe is a function of the same electron field vibrating at particular frequencies... is a given wave separate from the ocean? No, it is just apparent diversity yet an underlying unity.

That is 'Non-duality' in Hinduism.

This is somewhat false, advaita just says the atman and brahman are one but it never says everything else is one.

In Shakta schools we do see a more pantheistic or monistic understanding, but it's the least popular school today... everything else upholds some sort of distinction between the absolute and its appearances.

That is 'Non-duality' in Hinduism.

Also note that advaita just means "not two"...

The word for nonduality is "advaya" which is more common among Buddhists.

If you know anything about the tensions between traditions you'll know that Hindu's get pretty mad when this is suggested, calling such speakers secret Buddhists etc...

Hindu's get pretty mad when this is suggested, calling such speakers secret Buddhists etc...
The time I spoke of driving a Hindu Priest home after an interfait.service, I was also taking the Buddhist Monk back to his place.

The Hindu went on and on about how Buddhists are really Hindus, but in basically a sect gone awry.

The monk gave me an earful on that topic as we drove off.

The ride in the car needless to say was quite wducational and enlightening to me, and also quite different than their talks from the pulpit during the service!

The time I spoke of driving a Hindu Priest home after an interfait.service, I was also taking the Buddhist Monk back to his place.

The Hindu went on and on about how Buddhists are really Hindus, but in basically a sect gone awry.

The monk gave me an earful on that topic as we drove off.

The ride in the car needless to say was quite wducational and enlightening to me, and also quite different than their talks from the pulpit during the service!

The same exists among Sikhs too, on YouTube there is a channel called Nanak Naam and during one of his talks on Ik (oneness) he notes that this probably looks Buddhist to the audience as if it's a bad thing...

The ordinary follower is very much more like an Abrahamic believer.

In Hinduism through "sakshi" the emphasis is on the pure subject or witness... there cannot be oneness because everything but this is maya.

For me the subject wholly depends on objects, it has no reality of its own.

As such I agree less with such traditions.

It's also true that how we perceive objects depends entirely on the subject...

The brain is not intended to be accurate, its focus is effective activity...

This is why we are only able to perceive a small part of the light and sound spectrums, taking in everything would make reality incomprehensible...

As such everything is ultimately relative.

There is actually a reality, but the senses do not get us there.

Reactions: wil
This is somewhat false, advaita just says the atman and brahman are one but it never says everything else is one.
In Shakta schools we do see a more pantheistic or monistic understanding, but it's the least popular school today... everything else upholds some sort of distinction between the absolute and its appearances.
It was said ages ago in Chandogya and Mandukya Upanishads.
'Tat twam asi' (You are that), 'Aham Brahmasmi' (I am Brahman), 'Sarvam Khalvidam Brahma' (All things these Brahman). What more needs to be said?

Also note that advaita just means "not two"...
The word for nonduality is "advaya" which is more common among Buddhists.

If you know anything about the tensions between traditions you'll know that Hindu's get pretty mad when this is suggested, calling such speakers secret Buddhists etc...
There is no difference in Advaita and Advaya. That which supports 'advaya' is 'advaita siddhanta'.
Oh no, I never hesitate to accept that other than Sankara, Buddha is my teacher.
Why should we talk about ignorant people? Even those who say that Budhism and Hinduism are different.
What is the difference and where? Do Hindus not believe in 'dharma' or any of the 'Noble eight-fold path'?
Do not Hindus believe in 'Anatta' (non-substantiality of forms) and 'Anicca' (temporariness).

Last edited:
It was said ages ago in Chandogya and Mandukya Upanishads.
'Tat twam asi' (You are that), 'Aham Brahmasmi' (I am Brahman), 'Sarvam Khalvidam Brahma' (All things these Brahman). What more needs to be said?

The first two are again about the self, it is the pure witness that is taken to be the manifest portion of Brahman.

The third needs to be shared more with Hindu's because they hate the suggestion.

There is no difference in Advaita and Advaya. That which supports 'advaya' is 'advaita siddhanta'.
Oh no, I never hesitate to accept that other than Sankara, Buddha is my teacher.
Why should we talk about ignorant people? Even those who say that Budhism and Hinduism are different.
What is the difference and where? Do Hindus not believe in 'dharma' or any of the 'Noble eight-fold path'?
Do not Hindus believe in 'Anatta' (non-substantiality of forms) and 'Anicca' (temporariness).

Most Hindu's are pretty adamant about Atman, and you're changing the meaning of Anatta to make it match.

There is no absolute in (Theravada) Buddhism, it is rejected entirely... nothing has any independent nature, not even any Brahman.

It is misleading to suggest they aren't different because the differences have cost many lives.

This seems disingenuous on your part, are you purposely misleading or just don't know any better?

Things get a little murkier when you touch Tantric aspects of each tradition, now there is more an argument for their similarity... but that is heterodox to both.

Back