Your belief

I think you will find I go at it pretty regularly with our Catholic members. There's a difference between polite disagreement and hatred.

I don't know where you are on that spectrum, I hope the best...

And I do believe....I believe I'll have a beer right about now.

Aside - there is enough translational confusion just with the KJV, I would encourage either sticking with that, or if you want to look into alternate / supplemental translations then I recommend the Interlinear, the Companion, and the Peshitta, in that order. I don't even bother with any others. And I have a modern copy of the 1611 KJV as well...eye opening all by itself.
Actually I find very little confusion between translations, except when it comes to a few of the newer liberal, feminist translations. A couple of years ago, I read the New Testament through every month using 5 different translation and one paraphrase. There are only a couple of places where there could be problems with translation. I have been where translators are needed and understand that sometimes they need something further explained before they can translate. What we have is very close to what was written. I don’t personally care for the KJV, it’s too archaic for me, Yet that’s the translation that God used in my life for bring me to Him. I read the KJV cover to cover in 2 months. Never having been ”churched”, I really did not have any problem understanding most of it. The OT are mostly God dealing with humanity and then Israel when He set out to establish them as His people and His nation. Israel is still His people and His Nation, they have just been set aside for a while.

Philosophy has very little to do with truth.
I'm not sure I can agree with this.

"Truth is one of the central subjects in philosophy. It is also one of the largest. Truth has been a topic of discussion in its own right for thousands of years. Moreover, a huge variety of issues in philosophy relate to truth, either by relying on theses about truth, or implying theses about truth."

- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

So, are you saying that all paths lead to God?
I am not appointed judge, I cannot speak for the mind of G!d.

I've said before, I fail to understand why a loving G!d would create so many people only to be kindling for the biggest bonfire the universe has ever seen.

All of the major faiths have the same moral code. All of them. I can point you to the thread I started about that here more than 15 years ago.

There are evil people, I won't argue that. But not all of them, not even the majority.

Most people simply want a peaceful life to raise and enjoy their families. Nothing about that is evil, and nothing about that is worth damnation.

Someone who thinks there is only one path, and that they are on that sole and only path, are in for a rude surprise.

Actually I find very little confusion between translations, except when it comes to a few of the newer liberal, feminist translations. A couple of years ago, I read the New Testament through every month using 5 different translation and one paraphrase. There are only a couple of places where there could be problems with translation. I have been where translators are needed and understand that sometimes they need something further explained before they can translate. What we have is very close to what was written. I don’t personally care for the KJV, it’s too archaic for me, Yet that’s the translation that God used in my life for bring me to Him. I read the KJV cover to cover in 2 months. Never having been ”churched”, I really did not have any problem understanding most of it. The OT are mostly God dealing with humanity and then Israel when He set out to establish them as His people and His nation. Israel is still His people and His Nation, they have just been set aside for a while.
Try the Interlinear. It includes the Hebrew and Greek with reference to the Strong's Concordance. That is about as exact as you can get to the originals in the English language.

There's a difference between polite disagreement and hatred
I am assuming this is for me. I got rid of hate a long time ago. The world runs on it! It really doesn’t matter to me what people want to believe. I am just interested in trying to discover if what I believe is truth. I can sound like I am attacking at times, sorry if I have offended anyone. As I have gotten older, I realize that we are all pretty much the same. The only thing that makes use different is what has been molded in our mind. There are a few other little pieces about how our minds are wired.

I am assuming this is for me. I got rid of hate a long time ago. The world runs on it! It really doesn’t matter to me what people want to believe. I am just interested in trying to discover if what I believe is truth. I can sound like I am attacking at times, sorry if I have offended anyone. As I have gotten older, I realize that we are all pretty much the same. The only thing that makes use different is what has been molded in our mind. There are a few other little pieces about how our minds are wired.
Sounds to me like you are on the right track - for you.

I fail to understand why a loving G!d would create so many people only to be kindling for the biggest bonfire the universe has ever seen
I hear this a lot, people are resistant to understand the Judgement and Wrath of God. They only want a god of love. God created us, He is jealous for us to love Him. This is made clear throughout the Scriptures. God wants your heart, not sacrifices, as He tells the Israelites. The usage of marriage is the image God often uses, Just read Hosea. Israel was acting like the adulteress. In marriage, adultery is the most hurtful thing that one person can do to another. It’s an act of betrayal. God has given all of mankind the understanding to know that He exists, (Genesis 1,2 and Romans 1) I believed that there was a Creator before I became a Christian. But that never helped me live the life and treat people that way that I should have.

Scriptures says that mankind hates God. God takes Job to the wood shed for trying to as Him what He is doing regarding his life and the lose of his children, God quickly straightens Job about beginning in chapter 38 of the Book of Job. Twice in scripture we are told, “shall the clay say to the potter what are you doing” (my paraphrase). Once in the OT and once in the NT. People choose to go to the fire, we are all self-centered. It’s all about ME! I might let God tag along if I have time. This is all very clear in the Scriptures. People love to have idols.

1 John 2:15–17 (NASB95): Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.
17 The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.
Sorry for the long diatribe.

Try the Interlinear. It includes the Hebrew and Greek with reference to the Strong's Concordance. That is about as exact as you can get to the originals in the English language.
I have all of those and more. I have been at this for over 39 years now. I have a good friend who is a translator. I have more than once tried to find fault with the Bible, but it just keeps getting clearer the more I read it.

I hear this a lot, people are resistant to understand the Judgement and Wrath of God. They only want a god of love. God created us, He is jealous for us to love Him. This is made clear throughout the Scriptures. God wants your heart, not sacrifices, as He tells the Israelites.
OK, but you just contradicted yourself.

I don't follow the logic of "judgment and wrath" is somehow love, "heart, and not sacrifices."

I see the two in common usage as mutually exclusive.

I'm not certain if somehow maybe I've been unclear...I don't believe "anything goes." There are boundaries, and I think most people intuit those boundaries, as Paul noted in Romans 2, the Law is written on their hearts. I will go so far as to say that chapter (Romans 2) reinforces what I have said about people of other faiths simply wanting a peaceful life to enjoy their families, that Paul states as much very clearly and unambiguously for those with eyes to see and ears to hear.

Certainly they would not. I am taking about the Pharisees in Jesus day.
John 10:33 (NASB95): The Jews answered Him, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.”
I misunderstood your earluer post, in that case. You wrote in the present tense, and that made me think you meant contemporary circumstances.

But even in the John passage, it does not come across that his opponents believed Jesus to be God, rather, that they didn't, and found his claim blasphemous.

Did Jesus claim to be the Messiah. Jesus did not boast and go around claiming things about Himself, other were doing that. Jesus even tried to keep His miracles quiet. He would tell people after He healed them to say nothing to no one.

It is in the interview with Pilate, where Jesus acknowledges his claim to kingship. It is one of the tasks expected of the the Jewish Messiah, to be a political leader.

don't follow the logic of "judgment and wrath" is somehow love, "heart, and not sacrifices."
I someone goes out and kil.. someone and then the government takes that person’s life for what he did, is that love. Yes, protecting societies is love. There can be no sin in heaven, to allow it would be unjust. We would just go back to what we have here on this planet, evil.

is in the interview with Pilate, where
It is in the interview with Pilate, where Jesus acknowledges his claim to kingship. It is one of the tasks expected of the the Jewish Messiah, to be a political leader.
Sorry about the double insert, I am still learning. Jesus acknowledging what Pilate states about being a king. But what does He mean, ”my kingdom is not of this world”. There was to be two comings of the Messiah, one peaceful and one as ruler. The Jews only got it as one, the ruler who would deliver them.

I someone goes out and kil.. someone and then the government takes that person’s life for what he did, is that love. Yes, protecting societies is love. There can be no sin in heaven, to allow it would be unjust. We would just go back to what we have here on this planet, evil.
I covered that, from a different angle. I do think you are mistaken thinking people are inherently evil. We are born innocent. What we do with our lives after the age of accountability adds up. If we conduct our affairs towards others in a righteous manner it doesn't matter if one is Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or otherwise - G!d sees our hearts.

But even in the John passage, it does not come across that his opponents believed Jesus to be God, rather, that they didn't, and found his claim blasphemous.
OK, I missed this. I see your point. But Jesus never claimed to be God outright. But why did they want to kill Him. They considered that He was making Himself to be God or equal to God. Mainly by forgiving Sins. That is only a God thing.

So I stand corrected.

Reactions: RJM
Back