Can you relate?

Thinking required

Reaction score
"I said to myself, "“Behold, I have magnified and increased wisdom more than all who were over Jerusalem before me; and my mind has observed a wealth of wisdom and knowledge."" And I set my mind to know wisdom and to know madness and folly; I realized that this also is striving after wind. Because in much wisdom there is much grief, and increasing knowledge results in increasing pain."

New American Standard Bible: 1995 Update (La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation, 1995), Ec 1:16–18.

So? Lots of folks have read the Proverbs. They've been reading them for thousands of years. Why do you start a thread with a verse from Proverbs? Why do you start this thread? What is your purpose?

This site is a little bit like the move "you've got mail". She is communicating with someone on line that seems to understands her, and yet he is her enemy.

This site is a little bit like the move "you've got mail". She is communicating with someone on line that seems to understands her, and yet he is her enemy.
head.png

So? Lots of folks have read the Proverbs. They've been reading them for thousands of years. Why do you start a thread with a verse from Proverbs? Why do you start this thread? What is your purpose?
Actually the quote is not from the Proverbs. It is from Kohelet - Ecclesiastes.

That's from Ecclesiates 1:16 & 17

The writer's meaning is supplied in the verse following

18. For in much wisdom is much vexation, and he who increases knowledge, increases pain.

Reactions: RJM
Ok, ok! I stand corrected, lol :)

Actually it's not proverbs, yes, the same author but it's from Ecclesiastes. The purpose is to start a discussion. Do you believe wisdom can create more grief in one's life and knowledge increase pain. It's a simple question and should produce a simple answer. I believe that both of these statements are true in my life.

Forgot to hit the send button.

Because in much wisdom there is much grief, and increasing knowledge results in increasing pain."

"Ignorance is bliss".

"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the curcumference of darkness surrounding it".

🙃

I can relate. And I also want

"a vision of Nature's forces
That bind the world, all its seeds and sources
And innermost life—all this I shall see,
And stop peddling in words that mean nothing to me."

😉

Again...wanna start discussion post what you think about your cut and paste
Are you off your drugs? It’s a question about a statement! How do you view the statement? Yes, it is a ”cut and paste”. Could I just have paraphrased and not been slammed by you. I was trying to start a discussion, do I have to check with “dad” before I post?

Are you off your drugs? It’s a question about a statement! How do you view the statement? Yes, it is a ”cut and paste”. Could I just have paraphrased and not been slammed by you. I was trying to start a discussion, do I have to check with “dad” before I post?
Yes....if you are gonna act like that go to your room, no desert.

How afraid are you to state your belief about your cut and paste before you see other comments?

This is the "discussion" you want cause this is the discussion you will get if you continue.

We buy them books and send them to school and they continue to eat gum from under the desk...how do ya get thru to these kids?

How afraid are you to state your belief about your cut and paste before you see other comments?
Not at all, is that the problem? I believe that is much truth in the statement. The more I understand about the world and people, the sadder I have become. Knowledge just puffs people up, you should understand that. 18 years.

Do you believe wisdom can create more grief in one's life and knowledge increase pain. It's a simple question and should produce a simple answer. I believe that both of these statements are true in my life.
Well obviously knowing about the misery in the Ukraine and other suffering of innocent people -- or the diagnosis of terminal illness of a loved one, increases pain. But I still don't know where you personally are going with this? What do you want to tell me? Does your greater knowledge keep you awake at night? Or what?

Wisdom can obviously also help decrease pain, imo

"I said to myself, "“Behold, I have magnified and increased wisdom more than all who were over Jerusalem before me; and my mind has observed a wealth of wisdom and knowledge."" And I set my mind to know wisdom and to know madness and folly; I realized that this also is striving after wind. Because in much wisdom there is much grief, and increasing knowledge results in increasing pain."

New American Standard Bible: 1995 Update (La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation, 1995), Ec 1:16–18.
Yes I can relate.

Regards Tony

Yes I can relate.

Regards Tony
The OP did not ask for our views, but I would offer a thought about making a declaration that one has embraced the Message of Baha’u’llah.

The Bible prophecy states that Jesus would send the Spirit of Truth that would guide us ro all truth.

The Bab stated he came to prepare the way for that event and the Message the Bab gave was full of knowledge, knowledge that resulted in the slaughter of the Bab and tens of thousands of His followers. Baha’u’llah stated he was the one the Bab prepared the way for and was the Spirit of Truth foretold of by Jesus the Christ, and He had come to guide us to all truth. The Message given by Baha'u'llah is full of all knowledge.

Yet the world is indifferent to that knowledge, the world's pain a direct result of the neglect of a God given Manifestation of a Message to mankind.

There is no greater pain and torment than this knowledge, that humanity suffers because of its own neglect. There is no greater peace that embracing the Oneness of God in God's Messengers and the oneness of all humanity. The oneness of all the creatures we are yet to meet throughout the entire creation, in all the world of God.

Regards Tony

Back