Wild speculation

And that interpretation is the very corruption of the true meaning of the sacrifice of Abraham?
How so? How is laying bare the factual truth any form of corruption? Would you deny the Temple was the extension of Abraham's sacrifice?

How can one come to understand deeper truths if they are in denial of basic truth?
He came to fix the corruption of Abraham's sacrifice and restore the true meaning?
Agreed, but I don't believe you fully grasp why. There is still a wall of denial and refusal.

Last edited:
Jesus died for me and for everyone else, does this mean he loves us as he loves himself? I think the greatest commandments, the death and resurrection of our Lord, are profound and beyond our understanding. Jesus preached love your neighbours, even to forgive, love and pray for your enemies.

Jesus prayed on the cross, forgive them Father for they know not what they do. Is this the extent Jesus is asking us to forgive each other?

How so? How is laying bare the factual truth any form of corruption?
Ah no, sorry @juantoo3 it wasn't directed at you personally. I meant the corruption by men of the very meaning to God of sacrifice?
Would you deny the Temple was the extension of Abraham's sacrifice?
It was indeed the very extension of Abraham's sacrifice, imo -- but slanted to mean that it was the blood on the altar that was important to God, and away from the surrendering to God of material possessions and worldly attachments?
Agreed, but I don't believe you fully grasp why. There is still a wall of denial and refusal.
Help me along, please?

Ah no, sorry juantoo3 it wasn't directed at you personally. I meant the corruption by men of the very meaning to God of sacrifice?
How could it (the corruption by men of Abraham's sacrifice) be? G!d ordered the building of the Temple, and provided the plans to do so right there in the Bible. (If you count Ezra and Nehemiah, the Temple was rebuilt a second time as well) The Temple was what G!d ordered required for that dispensation, that era, that epoch, that period of time. And blood sacrifice was the norm in all of the surrounding nations and much of the world of that time.
It was indeed the very extension of Abraham's sacrifice, imo -- but slanted to mean that it was the blood on the altar that was important to God, and away from the surrendering to God of material possessions and worldly attachments?
Is this not projecting a modern understanding onto an ancient situation, expecting the ancient Jewish people to follow modern sensibilities?
Help me along, please?
We're all in this together. This meditation is good for me, too.

Besides, what value is there with no skin in the game?

Reactions: RJM
Is this not projecting a modern understanding onto an ancient situation, expecting the ancient Jewish people to follow modern sensibilities?
I don't think so. I think it was always understood. But simple blood sacrifice without the sacrifice from the heart became the lazy way to scoring virtue points?

O Lord, open my lips,
And my mouth shall show forth Your praise.
For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;
You do not delight in burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,
A broken and a contrite heart—
These, O God, You will not despise.

Do good in Your good pleasure to Zion;
Build the walls of Jerusalem.
Then You shall be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness,
With burnt offering and whole burnt offering;
Then they shall offer bulls on Your altar.

(Psalm 51: 15-19)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm 51&version=NKJV

Last edited:
I don't think so. I think it was always understood. But simple blood sacrifice without the sacrifice from the heart became the lazy way to scoring virtue points?
I am inclined to think that played a role in Jesus' righteous indignation overturning the tables of the moneychangers outside of the Temple Courtyard.

But that is not what it started out as. That isn't what Abel offered. That isn't what Noah offered. That isn't what Abraham offered. That isn't what Solomon offered.

But that is not what it started out as. That isn't what Abel offered. That isn't what Noah offered. That isn't what Abraham offered. That isn't what Solomon offered.
Wherever anyone offered the blood and death and pain of another innocent creature to God as righteousness in itself -- that was corruption of the meaning of sacrifice and an abomination to God -- and God knew that, imo

Abraham offered to surrender what he loved most to God -- it wasn't about the blood or the death ...

Saying grace before eating is not the same thing as sacrifice; it's a different issue, imo. Sacrifice would be fasting from eating, giving it to God, under the circumstance?

Wherever anyone offered the blood and death and pain of another innocent creature to God as righteousness in itself -- that was corruption of the meaning of sacrifice and an abomination to God -- and God knew that, imo

Abraham offered to surrender what he loved most to God -- it wasn't about the blood or the death ...
And Abraham's son was redeemed by...what?

A ram, with his horns caught in the vine/shrub/thicket, put there by G!d. Blood sacrifice in redemption for Abraham's son...the young boy Isaac, and his half brother Ishmael, and G!d promised Abraham that he would be the father of many nations.

Saying grace before eating is not the same thing as sacrifice; it's a different issue, imo. Sacrifice would be fasting from eating, giving it to God, under the circumstance?
The Native American teaching as I understand...life requires life. Always grateful, first to G!d, then to the animal that gave for my sustenance.

You cannot sustain your physical well being on non-living matter. I could quibble with myself on the matter as I believe even the minerals / rocks are alive, but at a much slower rate than we are. But we cannot sustain our bodies on a mineral diet.

You could go frugivore. I recommend you start slowly, particularly if your diet has primarily been processed foods and fast foods. Vegetables, but growing a garden is a challenge, it isn't a simple task, it does require certain knowledge and a good bit of elbow grease. And a lot of repetition dragging a hose. The only way you will be able to guarantee what is on your veggies is if you grow it yourself...can't tell what you might find in the store. As a consumer you trust the persons selling the veggies to the store, but really no way to tell what your food may have been treated with.

That's about as close as you can hope to get, and probably why a good many people are vegan / vegetarian. And there's Eastern and other religious outlooks that encourage vegetarianism. If you're American, get used to Tofurkey come Thanksgiving.

Not to belabor the point, but meat - flesh - is nutrient dense. It is the preferred foodstuff of a considerable part of nature. Lions, Tigers...I think Bears are more omnivore...and others at the top of the food chain consume flesh. And it doesn't come prepacked on white plastic trays covered in cellophane.

That's nature too.

A time to every purpose, under Heaven.

Likewise, there is such as too much of a good thing.

Last edited:
Awhile back I asked; "What of blood sacrifice *ever* erased sin?"

According to the Old Testament as I recall...blood *covers* sin, it doesn't erase it.

The sin is still there, hidden from view.

I was going to post about the similarities between Halal and Kosher slaughter, but I'll just put the link:

Last edited:
To add context, in antiquity, most temples were slaughterhouses. Greek/Roman religion required you to offer certain animal parts to the gods. You only ate meat of animals slaughtered according to the correct rules and rituals.

This presented difficulties for minority groups, then as now. The New Testament has passages where the problem of "meat offered to idols" is discussed.

Nowadays, this is mostly shifted to regulated industry, but there is the regular outcry when it becomes known that slaughter is not performed properly... over here in Europe, we had "chlorine chicken" in the news for months, a few years back...

This topic goes deeper than religion, I often feel. "Grub first, then ethics", from a different perspective 😇
I only want to add that I wasn't ignoring your post, I see nothing I disagree with.

👍

There are five main types of sacrifices, or offerings, in the Old Testament. The burnt offering (Leviticus 1; 6:8–13; 8:18-21; 16:24), the grain offering (Leviticus 2; 6:14–23), the peace offering (Leviticus 3; 7:11–34), the sin offering (Leviticus 4; 5:1–13; 6:24–30; 8:14–17; 16:3–22), and the trespass offering (Leviticus 5:14–19; 6:1–7; 7:1–6). Each of these sacrifices involved certain elements, either animal or fruit of the field, and had a specific purpose. Most were split into two or three portions—God’s portion, the portion for the Levites or priests, and, if there was a third, a portion kept by the person offering the sacrifice. The sacrifices can be broadly categorized as either voluntary or mandatory offerings.

There were two mandatory sacrifices in the Old Testament Law. The first was the sin offering. The purpose of the sin offering was to atone for sin and cleanse from defilement. There were five possible elements of a sin sacrifice—a young bull, a male goat, a female goat, a dove/pigeon, or 1/10 ephah of fine flour. The type of animal depended on the identity and financial situation of the giver. A female goat was the sin offering for the common person, fine flour was the sacrifice of the very poor, a young bull was offered for the high priest and the congregation as a whole, and so on. These sacrifices each had specific instructions for what to do with the blood of the animal during the ceremony. The fatty portions and lobe of the liver and kidneys were given to God (burnt); the rest of the animal was either totally burned on the altar and the ashes thrown outside the camp (in atoning for the high priest and congregation), or eaten within the tabernacle court.

The other mandatory sacrifice was the trespass offering, and this sacrifice was exclusively a ram. The trespass offering was given as atonement for unintentional sins that required reimbursement to an offended party, and also as a cleansing from defiling sins or physical maladies. Again, the fat portions, kidneys, and liver were offered to God, and the remainder of the ram had to be eaten inside the court of the tabernacle.
ibid

History of Sacrifices​

Sacrifices have long been part of Jewish—and human—history. The Bible records that Cain and Abel, sons of Adam and Eve, brought sacrifices to G‑d: Cain from the fruits of the ground, and Abel from the choicest of his sheep.1 Noah sacrificed animals and birds to G‑d upon leaving the Ark after the Great Flood.2 At the Binding of Isaac, Abraham brought a ram as a burnt offering in place of his son.3

During the 40 years of wandering in the desert (1313–1273 BCE), sacrifices were a mainstay of the Mishkan that accompanied the Jews during their journeys. Sacrifices continued to be brought once the Jews arrived in the Land of Israel, first in the Mishkan (which stood in Gilgal for 14 years, until 1259 BCE), then in the Tabernacle at Shiloh (for the 369 years of its existence—1259–891 BCE), and then in the First and Second Holy Temples in Jerusalem (which stood for 410 and 420 years respectively—833–423 BCE; 353 BCE–69 CE).

Other types of private obligatory sacrifices include the Paschal lamb, the firstborn offering, the tithe and the sacrifices brought by a nazir (nazirite).14

Links:
Paschal sacrifice: Exodus 12. Numbers 9. Maimonides, Korban Pesach.
Firstborn offering: Exodus 13. Maimonides, Bechorot 1.
Tithe: Leviticus 27:32–33. Maimonides, Bechorot 6.
Sacrifices of a nazir: Numbers 6. Maimonides, Nezirut 8.
ibid

Why Sacrifice?​

The sacrificial service was not primarily about the physical act of slaughtering an animal; it was principally a spiritual service. On a basic level, if the sacrifice was being brought to atone for some inadvertent sin, one had to feel remorse over what had happened.21 To assist in reaching true repentance, he would bear in mind that what was being done to the animal essentially should have occurred to him.22

Another way of understanding sacrifices is that the animal one brings as an offering to G‑d is symbolic of our own inner animal, our instincts and primal desires that we must bring into alignment with G‑d’s will. We surrender that part of us to G‑d and make it submissive to Him, so that it too may seek to do His will.23

From the perspective of Kabbalah, the sacrifices were a way of elevating the matter and vitality of this world to a higher plane. In addition to elevating the various layers of the human soul, sacrifices in the Temple also elevated the actual animal being offered, thereby elevating the entire animal kingdom.24
ibid

Back