Injustice, Anger and Forgiveness.

Ever notice how so many (the proverbial "everyone") wants to stand out in a crowd...by being just the same?

After so many tattoos, piercings (in atypical places) and primary colored hair, it all just blends into a chaotic mess.

C'est la vie, not for me.

Show me anything in the real world, the natural world, that is fair or just. I would do with one non-human example.

Nothing in life is fair. Therefore, your premise is faulty to begin with. ;)
Fairness is bound to the species, and our notion of fairness may not be applied to other species.

For us, it's the correction of the principle of the right of the strongest to define his privilege, which we share with many other mammals.

Fairness is necessary for a large population to survive.

It's easier to point out what is unfair than to define what is really fair.

Fairness is an utopia; it's not realised and pure fairness is hardly ever be reached in this world. Still, it's a valid ideal that should be supported.

Last edited by a moderator:
A poor person can be happy, a rich person can be miserable. I've known grumpy Guses who couldn't crack a smile to save their life, and I've known folks with cheerful outlooks that couldn't be made miserable under the worst circumstances.

Laughter is the best medicine. What role does depression play in illness, injury recovery and disease?

Are you not conflating issues? I said nothing of injustice. Justice is a matter of law, which by its very nature is an artificial, manmade abstraction.

If it is not organic, naturally occurring, then it is a manmade abstraction that does not exist in reality. It may exist in our created social existentialism as an unattainable ideal, but the concept is doomed to failure precisely because it does not exist in reality.

She saw her advantage was taken away, so she sought another opportunity for advantage. It is a military thought process, and coincides nicely with what I pointed out in my thread The Warrior Philosphe.

Nice, but nothing to do with natural fairness or equity.

In the sense that I used an absolute, you are correct. I don't like to use absolutes, however, I have yet to find any clear example in nature of "fairness" that isn't anthropomorphistic.

Are we talking religion, or are we talking propaganda?

Law, since the Code of Hammurabi (or whatever the preferred spelling is currently), has been predicated on the abstraction of fairness. If you build a house for me, it falls and kills my son, your son should be executed, legally and fairly. That is the Code of Hammurabi.

Show me anything that equates in nature.

Life isn't fair. Get over it. Make of life what you want it to be. Live your life for you. Be what you want to be (you will anyway, whether you are cognizant of it or not). If you are not happy in the situation you find yourself in, get out of it and start over. It isn't easy, but it can be done, all a person has to do is exercise their free will.

What I see promoted is surrender to circumstance. I'm disabled, so I can't do anything....I am my disability because the gummint and everyone else tells me so. Crabs in a bucket.

I *am*, me personally, disabled. I am *not* my disability. There are things I can no longer do. There are things I have to do differently. My brain still works, and I routinely outwork as many as 3 of my able bodied coworkers...even though I am disabled. My disability does not stop me, it only slows me down a bit and makes me think how to streamline my processes. I routinely think outside of the box, because all of the crabs are stuck in the box.

Conflation again. If playing a game, such as debate, then yes the "rules" should be for both (or all) parties involved.

But that is not the same as Law, and regardless, both are abstractions not found in reality.

Perhaps in your experience, and I can't deny that possibility.

However, I have to look at reality. Reality is I'm short, with middle aged pudge, fixin' to retire, and sick of being dealt with unfairly in an increasingly reverse discriminatory environment due to DEI. I have been defrauded at work, and have lost any of the initial zeal and idealism that I began with, proving to me unequivocally that Rand was correct. I have sustained multiple injuries over time, and now I'm simply waiting for that chronic but mortal illness of old age to make itself known.

What about any of this is "fair?"

Justice is an altogether different matter. However, I will never see justice for the injustice I've already experienced, because I am not the correct gender, age, skin color, religion, etc etc etc - and lawyers (you know, those folks who practice the abstract Law as a profession) have sneaky ways of perpetuating my injustice.

I no longer have room in my religion for such abstractions. And I live my religion - daily.
Have you read the book of Ijob?

• Haha
Reactions: wil
You know.. it's actually a thing to have Justice wired into your brain organically. My son took a gifted and talented test when he was in the first grade. They graded him on many things.. he scored the highest in Justice.

Attachments

• Portrait Of A Gifted Learner.png
    Portrait Of A Gifted Learner.png
    134.9 KB · Views: 49
Yes. Forgiveness is fruitless if the action of the other is persistent, except in some cases when he or she tries to change but is not able to.
forgiveness is never about the other person...the only person it benefits is us.
I agree. Emotions are largely involuntary. How we react is where the choice comes in.
Emotions and outward response can be involuntary...but we can choose to practice responding instead of reacting eh?

We can choose to watch, observe, and temper our reactions and emotions right?

Fairness is bound to the species, and our notion of fairness may not be applied to other species.

So then, you do not believe in evolution as applied to humans?

Humans are not just another animal?

For us, it's the correction of the principle of the right of the strongest to define his privilege, which we share with many other mammals.

It is an unattainable philosophical ideal, set up to fail, used by the "strong" to herd and corral the weak. Just ask Amir, I'm sure he can tell you all about it. That doesn't dismiss embryonic morality in herding and pack animals in the wild, but it is embellished with an impossible ideal.

Get past the impossible ideal and make the world the best you can for you. If you can help others raise themselves along the way, great! But you are not responsible for others outside of your charge (meaning you are responsible for your minor children, and those under your command in a military or employment situation), so if others can't or won't see the reality and apply it accordingly, that isn't on you.

Fairness is necessary for a large population to survive.

Says who? Since fairness is an impossible ideal, it is used on the masses to confuse and confound (and assuage with false promises).

It's easier to point out what is unfair than to define what is really fair.

Which tells me that the entire concept of fairness is so vague as to be meaningless.

And you are being so unfair!

Fairness is an utopia; it's not realised and pure fairness is hardly ever be reached in this world. Still, it's a valid ideal that should be supported.

It is an ideal, and to a point perhaps encouraged, but it isn't something to get my knickers in a twist if things don't go my way. If things don't go my way, I either let it go and work around it, or hire an attorney. Either way, I choose which in order to create the life I wish to live.

Last edited:
I need an example. I'm not sure what you mean here.
Oh, poor kid, he's had such a hard life. His two siblings and he all have different daddys, none of which are around. He never did his homework or schoolwork, and the teacher had the nerve to fail him with straight Fs, but the school graduated him anyway. He got fired from his job at the carwash, can you believe the boss fired him because he didn't show up for work for two weeks? OMG, the nerve of some people, can't they see what a rough life the kid has had. And now he's gone and shot that little girl, she shouldn't have been standing where he was shooting at the other teenager that bombed out of school and just got fired from KFC for not doing his job. What's the world coming to these days, can't they see the poor kid has just had such a rough life...

Nonsense.

Oh, poor kid, he's had such a hard life. His two siblings and he all have different daddys, none of which are around. He never did his homework or schoolwork, and the teacher had the nerve to fail him with straight Fs, but the school graduated him anyway. He got fired from his job at the carwash, can you believe the boss fired him because he didn't show up for work for two weeks? OMG, the nerve of some people, can't they see what a rough life the kid has had. And now he's gone and shot that little girl, she shouldn't have been standing where he was shooting at the other teenager that bombed out of school and just got fired from KFC for not doing his job. What's the world coming to these days, can't they see the poor kid has just had such a rough life...

Nonsense.

This just seems like a curmudgeonly "kids these days" rant. It's an exaggerated strawman. Where did anyone say anything about the things you're ranting about here?

I hate "pull yourself up by the bootstraps talk" because it ignores that there are actually things like the cycle of poverty and generational trauma. These aren't just some terms liberal intellectuals made up.

Last edited:
Figures...have to go to BBC to find an article about this story, can't seem to find it locally right now:

This and the trial of Othal Wallace. Personally I find a level of sympathy for Mr Wallace given the circumstance, but it was a policeman. I see the jury just found Mr Wallace for manslaughter, and given the circumstance I think that is just.

Why not? Others have, based on no more than the color of my skin. How bigoted is that?

I feel like there's some prior incident or experience that you're upset about, but I never mentioned anything about privilege or racism. My initial comment was solely commenting on the fact that I don't like the old idea of 'you're only as happy as you allow yourself to be' because I don't believe it is true.

Back