Sapere aude

I don't think you fully understand my position.
This Intelligent Designer is Within, it is not an external god, it is the god within. It is the Soul of each of us that enables our progress along with natural selection.

I did provide the philosophy behind this . . .
I understand, I just wouldn't use that term for the reasons I gave.

Maybe you should work on your arithmetic. The people who follow the scriptures, based on your numbers are (31.1+24.9) = 56%.

That's the most common.
Your calculations are in error..
Are you suggesting that the majority of Christians and Muslims interpret
the Bible & Qur'an as you do? :)

Your calculations are in error..
Are you suggesting that the majority of Christians and Muslims interpret
the Bible & Qur'an as you do? :)
They all interpret it differently, changing the interpretation when the scripture is contradictory or wrong. I guess that's the best god could do.

Pretty woeful.

They all interpret it differently, changing the interpretation when the scripture is contradictory or wrong..
No, that is your assumption as an atheist .. which you perceive as "fact".
In fact (pun intended), you are no different .. you prefer 'a literal reading' of a translation,
hand-waving away, any bias or ignorance of the translator.

I imagine you have heard of idioms and parables, mmm .. but you will insist
"your literal interpretation" is the intended one .. even though you are a layman
when it comes to religion. You have said so yourself.

In fact (pun intended), you are no different .. you prefer 'a literal reading' of a translation,

"your literal interpretation" is the intended one .. even though you are a layman
You do know that within Christianity there is Catholicism, Southern Baptists, Presbyterians, Mormons, and many more?
And then within each group, there are subsets. So within Catholicism there are Benedictians, the Apostolic Catholics, etc.

Similar in Islam and Judaism.

They all have different interpretations of their own scripture. That is not an assumption, that is a fact.

Quran [3.7] He it is Who has revealed the Book to you; some of its verses are decisive, they are the basis of the Book, and others are allegorical; then as for those in whose hearts there is perversity they follow the part of it which is allegorical, seeking to mislead and seeking to give it (their own) interpretation.

1704658727865.png

Is the entirety of the Quran unambiguous and thoroughly elucidated, or are there sections that remain unclear, with interpretations known only to Allah?

Furthermore, why does Allah choose to disclose passages whose meanings are exclusive to Him? How does it benefit Muslims to receive verses that are beyond human comprehension? What value do Muslims derive from enigmatic passages that seemingly lack practical relevance in their lives?

Lastly, how can a Muslim confidently discern between clear and obscure verses, especially when the Quran does not explicitly distinguish between the two?

Is the entirety of the Quran unambiguous and thoroughly elucidated, or are there sections that remain unclear, with interpretations known only to Allah?
Yes .. some verses are allegorical.

Furthermore, why does Allah choose to disclose passages whose meanings are exclusive to Him? How does it benefit Muslims to receive verses that are beyond human comprehension? What value do Muslims derive from enigmatic passages that seemingly lack practical relevance in their lives?
They're not "pointless" .. it is just that when a person reads the Qur'an, it is that a personal
relationship is formed between that person and G-d.
It is futile to argue about meanings .. it is enough to give one's opinion.

Lastly, how can a Muslim confidently discern between clear and obscure verses, especially when the Quran does not explicitly distinguish between the two?
G-d knows who is sincere and who is not.
Some Muslims say that Islam is 'black & white' and an exact science.
I don't agree .. there is room for interpretation, and G-d has given us intelligence to use.

They're not "pointless" .. it is just that when a person reads the Qur'an, it is that a personal

I don't agree .. there is room for interpretation, and G-d has given us intelligence to use.
Do you think there is a meaningful difference between "G-d" and "God"?

Your rebuttal is Islamic Apologetics, like the Hadiths, it is used to explain (a.k.a. excuse) for inexplicable stuff, such as can be found throughout the Quran.

You see, this response concerns me. I may not entirely agree with how Naturalist views the world and explains their experiences and thoughts on it, but they're not my views, experiences and thoughts, so will be different. That difference is not a threat to me, but IS of interest to me because I find it valuable to gain an insight to how others sharing life on this planet view things- it helps me to gain a slightly fuller insight, and sometimes I discover new things that can enhance my own views, experiences and thoughts. It's why I have been involved in Interfaith dialogue and activity for 2 decades. I find myself wondering what motivates people to enter an interfaith environment, only to express boredom (?) in response to another persons description of their views/thoughts/experiences. We're all different. Even people who follow the same spiritual tradition are different and will express things in different ways. If we find difference boring, why seek it out on a platform that is obviously going to expose you to difference? Had the response been one of frustration or annoyance, that would be in keeping with people who feel any other worldview is incorrect and requires correction....while I would disagree with that, I could understand someone choosing to enter a space where they would encounter people who 'require correction'. But a yawn? Could you help me to understand how that works in an interfaith setting?

But a yawn? Could you help me to understand how that works in an interfaith setting?
Same 'ole Richard Dawkins "I'm the atheist scientist" line -- done to death already -- heard it all a thousand times -- try something original ... yawn

Have at it, chaps. I've said my bit

Same 'ole Richard Dawkins "I'm the atheist scientist" line -- done to death already -- heard it all a thousand times -- try something original ... yawn
Ah, so you're saying that everything you say as a Christian is original? I'm sorry, but if you ask an atheist a question and expect something other than an atheist response, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. To suggest that it's yawn-worthy when you get the response from someone with a particular worldview that you'd expect from someone with that particular worldview is a bit rude.
I've not seen you post anything original as a Christian. Should everyone yawn whenever you post with a Christian worldview response?

I'm a Pagan, by the way. What sort of response do you think might be yawn-worthy from me....just so I know in advance.

Ah, so you're saying that everything you say as a Christian is original? I'm sorry, but if you ask an atheist a question and expect something other than an atheist response, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. To suggest that it's yawn-worthy when you get the response from someone with a particular worldview that you'd expect from someone with that particular worldview is a bit rude.
I've not seen you post anything original as a Christian. Should everyone yawn whenever you post with a Christian worldview response?

I'm a Pagan, by the way. What sort of response do you think might be yawn-worthy from me....just so I know in advance.
What makes you think I'm what you want me to be?

@MikeS

Please edit your posts to get the paragraph breaks

What makes you think I'm what you want me to be?
What do I want you to be? So I'm relatively new here, too, and perhaps I have confused your posts with someone elses in terms of what your spiritual worldview is. But the point still stands...... you're no more original than anyone else, and if you're asking a question of someone who holds a specific worldview and expecting to be entertained by something other than a relative norm for that worldview, then you're being unfair.

Back