I converted to Jehovah's Witnesses

One early Christian writer named Papias, who lived between about 60 and 130 A.D. in Hierapolis in Asia Minor (he was bishop of Hierapolis), wrote that “Matthew arranged the oracles in the Hebrew language and each interpreted them as best he could.”

The majority of scholars believe that Mark was the first gospel to be composed and that Matthew and Luke both drew upon it as a major source for their works.
Writing in a polished Semitic "synagogue Greek", he drew on the Gospel of Mark as a source, plus a hypothetical collection of sayings known as the Q source (material shared with Luke but not with Mark) and hypothetical material unique to his own community, called the M source or "Special Matthew."
Matthew has 600 verses in common with Mark, which is a book of only 661 verses.

Gospel_of_Matthew - Wikipedia

..so, according to wikpedia, it is dubious that the original was written in Hebrew.

The majority of scholars believe that Mark was the first gospel to be composed and that Matthew and Luke both drew upon it as a major source for their works.
Writing in a polished Semitic "synagogue Greek", he drew on the Gospel of Mark as a source, plus a hypothetical collection of sayings known as the Q source (material shared with Luke but not with Mark) and hypothetical material unique to his own community, called the M source or "Special Matthew."
Matthew has 600 verses in common with Mark, which is a book of only 661 verses.

Gospel_of_Matthew - Wikipedia

..so, according to wikpedia, it is dubious that the original was written in Hebrew.
I agree with you, nobody agrees on this subject, it is highly disputed. That's why I look at the 100 Bibles we have access to today, to get additional scriptural evidence.

It goes to reason that there would be a Hebrew Matthew because Jesus spoke to the Hebrew Jewish people as well as the Greek Jewish people.

Last edited:
I like our Bible Yes! Just like you like yours! I also do research, reading 100 different Bibles.

Before I became a Jehovah's Witness I refused to believe anything they had to say! Now I have learned to befriend and love people of every religion, it doesn't matter what they believe!

I have learned to love everyone, and I keep searching for different ways to love my neighbor. ❤️ I love and respect you and I've never met you!

It seems like the Hebrew Jewish Christians split, just after the last apostle died. The Apostle Paul writes in The New Testament that the Jewish Christians and the Gentile Greek Christians were United as one group.

Does anyone know the name of this group? That consisted of Hebrew Jewish Christians and Greek Christians after the last Apostle died?

The original Apostles were all Jewish, what happened to this group? And what were their beliefs in the first and second century?

And were they considered heretics by the Greek Christians?

Are you referring to the Ebionites?
Yes probably the Ebionites or the Nazarenes. But more importantly, writings that describe Hebrew Jewish Christians of the same group as Greek Gentile Christians, like when the Apostle Paul started this group.

Who writes about this group being united after the last Apostle died?

Yes probably the Ebionites or the Nazarenes. But more importantly, writings that describe Hebrew Jewish Christians of the same group as Greek Gentile Christians, like when the Apostle Paul started this group..
Well, yes .. they all had something in common.
They believed that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah. :)

Who writes about this group being united after the last Apostle died?
It seems that the Roman elite were good at divide & rule.

It seems Jerome considers these groups heretics -- Nazarenes/Ebionites, neither group believed like Jerome and he calls them:
"But while they pretend to be both Jews and Christians, they are neither".

I have never seen Hebrews and Greeks agree about Jesus! Let me know please, if you find something.

Jerome was familiar with the Nazarenes/Ebionites as those “who accept Messiah in such a way that they do not cease to observe the old Law.” In his Epistle 79, to Augustine, he said:

What shall I say of the Ebionites who pretend to be Christians? To-day there still exists among the Jews in all the synagogues of the East a heresy which is called that of the Minæans [Hebrew minim- sectarians?], and which is still condemned by the Pharisees; [its followers] are ordinarily called ‘Nasarenes’; they believe that Christ, the son of God, was born of the Virgin Mary, and they hold him to be the one who suffered under Pontius Pilate and ascended to heaven, and in whom we also believe. But while they pretend to be both Jews and Christians, they are neither.

I like our Bible Yes! Just like you like yours! I also do research, reading 100 different Bibles.

Before I became a Jehovah's Witness I refused to believe anything they had to say! Now I have learned to befriend and love people of every religion, it doesn't matter what they believe!

I have learned to love everyone, and I keep searching for different ways to love my neighbor. ❤️ I love and respect you and I've never met you!
Hi. I used to slam the door on Jehovah's Witnesses. I didn't believe in God anyway, but I thought they were fanatics. Later I needed help that I believed only God could give me, if He existed. And so I finally prayed. And someone came to my door. I argued with them, but she said something that I could cope with and decided to study the Bible with them. And now I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. And happy to be so.

"But while they pretend to be both Jews and Christians, they are neither".
Things never change..
Both Jews AND Christians do not accept Muhammad, peace be with him.

I haven't stopped following Jesus, just because I became a Muslim, and believe in Muhammad.
I can now follow all three .. i.e. Moses, Jesus & Muhammad, peace be with them :)

Things never change..
Both Jews AND Christians do not accept Muhammad, peace be with him.

I haven't stopped following Jesus, just because I became a Muslim, and believe in Muhammad.
I can now follow all three .. i.e. Moses, Jesus & Muhammad, peace be with them :)
I have a Muslim friend on another chat forum and we both focus on what we can agree on. We just talk about what we can agree on like Jesus, love, friendship, respect and kindness. ❤️

I have a Muslim friend on another chat forum and we both focus on what we can agree on. We just talk about what we can agree on like Jesus, love, friendship, respect and kindness. ❤️
Well, at least we can agree there is a God.

It seems like the Hebrew Jewish Christians split, just after the last apostle died. The Apostle Paul writes in The New Testament that the Jewish Christians and the Gentile Greek Christians were United as one group.
Yes.

Does anyone know the name of this group? That consisted of Hebrew Jewish Christians and Greek Christians after the last Apostle died?
The original Apostles were all Jewish, what happened to this group? And what were their beliefs in the first and second century?
And were they considered heretics by the Greek Christians?
There were a number of proto-Christian groups in existence ... for example John the Baptist's influence was far reaching, and then we have the 72 disciples sent out to preach in Luke 10 – so we have Christians preaching in the world before the Passion, before the final revelations, as it were, that only came to light after the empty tomb.

If you read Acts 18, we have Apollos, "Now a certain Jew, named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, came to Ephesus, one mighty in the scriptures." (18:24) So an educated Jew well steeped in the Hebrew Scriptures. "This man was instructed in the way of the Lord ... and taught diligently the things that are of Jesus, knowing only the baptism of John" (18:25).

So Apollos is a Jew, a convert to Christ, according to the preaching of John the Baptist – so his 'Christianity' would be different to that of the Apostles, and different to that of Paul, who underwent his own 'Pentecost' on the road to Damascus. Apollos would understand Christ as Messiah in a Mosaic context.

"Whom when Priscilla and Aquila had heard, they took him to them, and expounded to him the way of the Lord more diligently (that is, the post-Resurrection teaching)" (18:26)

Acts 19 we have Paul in Ephesus: "And it came to pass ... that Paul ... came to Ephesus, and found certain disciples. And he said to them: Have you received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? But they said to him: We have not so much as heard whether there be a Holy Ghost. And he said: In what then were you baptised? Who said: In John's baptism. Then Paul said: John baptised the people with the baptism of penance, saying: That they should believe in him who was to come after him, that is to say, in Jesus. Having heard these things, they were baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus." (19:1-5)
Here we have Paul finding a Christian community in Ephesus, who heard the preaching of John the Baptist regarding Jesus, but had not been instructed according to the fulness of the Gospel ..

So we have Christians who being instructed not by the Apostles directly, would see Jesus as the Messiah in a Jewish context, and would see the Mosaic covenant as still binding.

There was obvious tensions, and some elitism, between Jewish Christians and Gentile Christians, the former regarding themselves as 'better' because they were Jews ... Paul struggled manfully to break this down, to show that it was not necessary for Christians to observe the Law to the letter, but not at the expense of the Covenant with Israel.

Not everyone believed, and there were groups who insisted that one had to be a Law-observing Jew to embrace Jesus.

In fact, before I studied with Jehovah's Witnesses, I didn't even know what the word LORD was the substitute for.

In fact, before I studied with Jehovah's Witnesses, I didn't even know what the word LORD was the substitute for.
But doesn't the Hebrew word really just mean I AM (that I am)?

The four letters written and read from right to left (in Hebrew), are yodh, he, waw, and he. The name may be derived from a verb that means "to be", "to exist", "to cause to become", or "to come to pass"

Last edited:
The Bible I read uses the name 'Yahweh' all the way through, and I find it quite trying, actually.

It is a term, rather than a name, imo. God doesn't need a name, to distinguish Himself from other gods. God IS -- whatever the name attached by human beings and their various faiths.

I know this is controversial but God doesn't require anyone to address Him as a named individual, except perhaps as a mark of respect -- as in Lord. God hears all sincere prayer, whatever the time or place or religion, whatever the name assigned. God doesn't have a 'name' imo

In English the 'name' should really be written as I AM. But LORD does the job, especially in parts like the Psalms.

I also do not believe it is justified to substitute the name Jehovah for LORD in the New Testament, which was written in Greek and did not even use the Hebrew tetragrammaton?

Back