Apologies for the downtime

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Just to apologise for the down time. We were originally hosted with Westhost, but over the last couple of weeks not only did they lose a full week's worth of posts, they also tried to migrate all of their clients to another hosting service and it went completely fubar, leaving all of their clients offline, including IO.

Last night RJM asked me to move everything over to one of my own server hosting accounts, so I made a full copy of all of the files and folders and databases, uploaded them ready, then pointed the domain name to it - which in itself can take 24-48 hours to propagate.

This morning I tried to set up IO again with all of the original files but it just wasn't working, and I couldn't get support techs to figure out what was going on. So I did a full clean install of all of the website software we use, then once that was working, connected it all up to the original databases.

Everything is mostly working now, but I'm still looking for any outstanding issues and fixing them where I find them. Expect some teething issues - if you have trouble posting try refreshing your browser a few times or emptying your browser cache, as it may still be trying to call up forum scripts from the original Westhost account rather than the new server. Any other bugs or problems please do post them below so I can check them off my todo list.

Anyway, I'm just taking care of the backend stuff, so will leave you in RJM's capable hands to bring the community back together and get things back to normal - which should hopefully be pretty quick. :)

Last edited:
@iBrian

You're too good!
THANK you for saving IO!
😄😀
Ditto...and thank you for creating a place that many have enjoyed over the years.

Many have come and gone thru here...left their mark. Many are literally, figuratively, physically, virtually or simply digitally moved on...Many are missed, but their presence here exists due to you years ago and again today.

You have my gratitude, I appreciate you.

Just to apologise for the down time. We were originally hosted with Westhost, but over the last couple of weeks not only did they lose a full week's worth of posts, they also tried to migrate all of their clients to another hosting service and it went completely fubar, leaving all of their clients offline, including IO.

Last night RJM asked me to move everything over to one of my own server hosting accounts, so I made a full copy of all of the files and folders and databases, uploaded them ready, then pointed the domain name to it - which in itself can take 24-48 hours to propagate.

This morning I tried to set up IO again with all of the original files but it just wasn't working, and I couldn't get support techs to figure out what was going on. So I did a full clean install of all of the website software we use, then once that was working, connected it all up to the original databases.

Everything is mostly working now, but I'm still looking for any outstanding issues and fixing them where I find them. Except some teething issues - if you have trouble posting try refreshing your browser a few times or emptying your browser cache, as it may still be trying to call up forum scripts from the original Westhost account rather than the new server. Any other bugs or problems please do post them below so I can check them off my todo list.

Anyway, I'm just taking care of the backend stuff, so will leave you in RJM's capable hands to bring the community back together and get things back to normal - which should hopefully be pretty quick. :)
Thanks for all your efforts. It's well appreciated. It needs quite good professional skills to migrate a platform and have it working again after one day!

It appears a lot of image links are broken, small price to pay.

I found some older broken links but I think they've been that way for years now. The list of older threads that I put together awhile back still check out, each thread came up and I tested almost all pages in one and a couple pages in the others and they all came up with no problem. All in all for an emergent transfer I think you guys did a good job. Now to go look and see if the apocryphon are still available...

Looked at a handful of apocryphon and my essay, they are intact.

However, I did notice the links to the forum from the apoc thread are broken in the bottom left corner. From the home page they function as they should, but not on the sub-boards apparently. Under "Community Forums." Probably not a big deal, but something I found.

Great to see some familiar names still here. :)

Looked at a handful of apocryphon and my essay, they are intact.

However, I did notice the links to the forum from the apoc thread are broken in the bottom left corner. From the home page they function as they should, but not on the sub-boards apparently. Under "Community Forums." Probably not a big deal, but something I found.

When I was looking at the front end yesterday I realized it's not even mobile friendly, so I'm going to start work redeveloping it and I'll fix any outstanding links as I come across them.

It's Brian's nature to apologise. But the fault was with Westhost. It's they who caused the downtime and lost the posts. It's @iBrian who literally rescued IO by inviting us to move instead to his own server, at no cost, otherwise we'd still be in the wilderness and unable to get any response or support.

Other clients have fared far worse. To get an idea of what's been going on at Westhost recently, folks are invited to read the latest Trustpilot reviews, concerning the botched migration, over the last three months:
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/westhost.com?date=last3months

Last edited:
Great to see some familiar names still here. :)

When I was looking at the front end yesterday I realized it's not even mobile friendly, so I'm going to start work redeveloping it and I'll fix any outstanding links as I come across them.
Somewhere sometime we were looking to update...there is a test page somewhere...maybe you'd like to take a gander as you consider doing whatever magic you do!

Somewhere sometime we were looking to update...there is a test page somewhere...maybe you'd like to take a gander as you consider doing whatever magic you do!
Not sure where or what that was, but I've already started redeveloping the front end of IO. It will take a while and what's up at the moment is more about testing scripts and mobile accessibility. And fixing broken links. :)

Just took a look at the front page. I see the reformatting, if that helps reading on a handheld device, that is a good thing.

I noticed the essays, not only mine but Mr. Garaffa's and others, are no longer available. I hope these are not lost, they were there yesterday.

I noticed the essays, not only mine but Mr. Garaffa's and others, are no longer available. I hope these are not lost, they were there yesterday.
Garaffa's essays aren't lost. Nothing is lost. But I removed the ancient out of date essays, including Garaffa"s unreadable tomes, with their tired and outdated arguments from the homepage (years ago) and tried to bring it up to date with new essays and a manually updated list of trending threads -- as well as adding the Gospels of Judas and Thomas, and also the Nag Hamadi documents to the Apocrypha section.

@muhammad_isa helped me greatly with updating, including removing all the broken links -- and it was my intention to expand the articles page by encouraging new contributions, that reflect new studies during the last 20+ years since the original homepage was laid down.

So ...

Back